Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo thinks we are good.....even without another big  (Read 10017 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wojo thinks we are good.....even without another big
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
That's why we should look at it on a case by case basis. Maybe we are, but to just flat out say JUCO's are not welcome at Marquette is discriminatory.

Marquette just admitted a Juco a year ago.  No one has ever said they are "not welcome."  They may be "less welcome" than a few years ago, but as I said, there are clear and objective reasons for that.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
That's why we should look at it on a case by case basis. Maybe we are, but to just flat out say JUCO's are not welcome at Marquette is discriminatory.
Soooo, in the grand scheme of things, what does this "discriminatory" claim mean to you? What should happened as a result?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:05 AM »
The problem with Jucos is that they often come here without transferable credits because they usually major in PE and Marquette doesn't have a PE program.  That is why the two year Jucos we have had like Jae aren't near graduation...and that's an APR problem.

This is different than the one-year Jucos (JFB, DJO).  Also McKay was different so he committed early and MU was able to work with him on making sure he had transferable classes in a major that MU offered.

This is the reason MU has clamped down on Jucos.  It isn't "discrimination."
But JFB and DJO worked from an Admin perspective. I understand the PE credits and these cases should be viewed closer--however I loved that Crowder picked MU.

But as you say these are different cases and should be treated as such.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »
"Wojciechowski did not mention any specific unsigned recruits or walk-on players who he is pursuing and added that he is content with the current roster."

6-7 center who basically missed all of last year

6-6 power forward who has not really shown much improvement.

No help until mid December, when a legit center arrives, but he has played very little as well.

I'm not content. In fact, I'm concerned how small we will be forced  to play against some big boys in the BEAST.

Can't find one bruising type to help?

Obviously, we don't know how good Fischer is going to be yet. But he will have been playing for a couple of weeks before we face any Big East opponents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
Soooo, in the grand scheme of things, what does this "discriminatory" claim mean to you? What should happened as a result?

What does it mean to me? It means that I think if they don't accept players based on their JUCO status, I find it discriminatory. If they have everything in order, it is foolish for us not to look at them because of the JUCO stigma. They can do whatever they want obviously, but to me it gives off a snooty type vibe...it's not like we are an Ivy League school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
What does it mean to me? It means that I think if they don't accept players based on their JUCO status, I find it discriminatory. If they have everything in order, it is foolish for us not to look at them because of the JUCO stigma. They can do whatever they want obviously, but to me it gives off a snooty type vibe...it's not like we are an Ivy League school.

That's the qualifier you need to remember.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
But JFB and DJO worked from an Admin perspective. I understand the PE credits and these cases should be viewed closer--however I loved that Crowder picked MU.

When the changes were made, Jae was cited by name as an example of the type of player that will not be admitted. Even though he was a great player and representative of the university. That rankled some folks big time, especially our former coach.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
I would be shocked is Wojo ever took the JUCO route.

I tend to agree, though the occassional JUCO may happen. Considering that is not the experience WOJO had at Duke, it is not likely he goes there.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »

Depending on the criteria, discrimination is not only a good thing, but a necessary thing.  I discriminate against over ripe fruit whenever I go to the store.  UConn probably wishes that it was more discriminating against recruits who were poor students in the years prior to having the NCAA ban them from the NCAA tournament for poor academic performance.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:25:40 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
The article was fluff, did not say much, what is Wojo suppose to say, I do not like my players, I doubt that.  Basically a nothing article.  There is talent there, we all know that, but not getting
1 more big will be challenging next year.  Hard to believe, he could not get one transfer with 500 out there besides Carlino, who will be a nice addition.  

Yes, there were 500 transfers out there, but moomoo started this thread talking about next year, and the vast majority of those 500 were not graduate transfers who would be available to play next year like Carlino is.  As TAMU's excellent thread of graduate transfers showed, the at least one of the few eligible big men who could have helped this year was pursued and lost to Wake forest which was closer to his home.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
Depending on the criteria, discrimination is not only a good thing, but a necessary thing.  I discriminate against over ripe fruit whenever I go to the store.  UConn probably wishes that it was more discriminating against recruits who were poor students in the years prior to having the NCAA ban them from the NCAA tournament for poor academic performance.

That analogy between bringing in poor students and bringing in a JUCO is stretching it. I'm not saying bring in lots of them, just to do due diligence on a couple and see if they could help us on the court provided their classroom skills are up to par. It seems like a lot of people just think we are completely done with JUCO's period.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
moomoo started this thread

Silence! The moomoo is speaking!

Death on call

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Silence! The moomoo is speaking!

Grazie il Keefino!
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »

Marquette just admitted a Juco a year ago.  No one has ever said they are "not welcome."  They may be "less welcome" than a few years ago, but as I said, there are clear and objective reasons for that.

Exactly.

The issue in the past is that some of the guys from JUCOs were at essentially at diploma mills, quite frankly.  No one at MU has said JUCOs are off base, but each situation is unique.  Buzz pushed the limit with some and if folks knew some of the details they would understand the university's position except for those that feel its Just Win Baby and win at all costs.  Those folks view things as a zero sum game, however.  As if no other player on the planet would be as good or capable as the exceptions that were made.   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 10:32:11 PM »
Grazie il Keefino!

私は moomoo サン を聞く

Death on call

feedback