Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last 7 Games: Markus vs Sam vs Joey  (Read 7501 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Last 6 Games: Markus vs Sam vs Joey
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
I agree.  Markus had bad turnovers as well. That doesn’t change that Joey shouldn’t have been getting 29 minutes a game.
If you didnt like what Joey did down the stretch then you really must have hated what Markus did.  By your logic...he should have been getting 20 min a game as well?

Im afraid in a year from now we will see what they can do with a good coach.  Similar to what we saw from Wes Mathews when Buzz came in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:20:07 PM by avid1010 »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:01 PM »
I agree.  Markus had bad turnovers as well. That doesn’t change that Joey shouldn’t have been getting 29 minutes a game.

With this roster, it made sense. He delivered a solid freshman ORtg with very little run for him (or anybody else) out of any offensive set. And he did well on the defensive glass, in particular, not to mention being a near-elite 3 point shooter.

As for his turnovers, the Creighton game was Joey's worst turnover rate for the season.  Looking at the last 7 games (where the team was 1-6) -- Joey's turnover rate was 22.7 heading into that final stretch. He ended the season with a TO rate of 21.3 & a final 5-game moving average of 16.46.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:20:52 PM by NYWarrior »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
If you didnt like what Joey did down the stretch then you really must have hated what Markus did.  By your logic...he should have been getting 20 min a game as well?

Honestly I didn’t really want either in at the end of a few of those games.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 10:28:30 PM »
Fair enough. Not the best character witness. But he does understand what goes on in the locker room at MU. And he ultimately made the same decision as the Hausers. And Cheatham. And Burton, Wally, Dawson, Sandy, Duane, and Traci.

Yeah, a lot of those guys are probably better suited for mid-major basketball, but there are plenty of role players needed on high major teams too. Wojo's track record on talent retention is not exactly glowing. Seems like something's going on.

I'm not referring to the Hausers or any specific player when I posit this...

Is it possible wojo is absolutely Crystal clear (too brutally honest perhaps) on each player's role on the team/anticipated minutes/coach expectations/place on the totem pole and some of them don't like what they hear?

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the updated calculations!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:29:46 PM by hoops12 »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
I'm not referring to the Hausers or any specific player when I posit this...

Is it possible wojo is absolutely Crystal clear (too brutally honest perhaps) on each player's role on the team/anticipated minutes/coach expectations/place on the totem pole and some of them don't like what they hear?

At this point, anything is possible. But if that's the case, it seems like that would also hurt him on the recruiting trail. If he's brutally honest once they're here, and that message ends up being different than the sales pitch, that could definitely create issues.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 10:36:17 PM »
In 34 less minutes Howard put up 34 more shots then Sam. As well as dominate the ball for 25 of the 30 seconds. Dude shot to much and it's a fact.

Markus assist rate was over 27%, top 3% of all players and almost twice what Sam or Joey had.

With no point guard on the team, Markus created shots for others by drawing extra defenders this giving teammates easier shots. The player who does that hits a lower percentage (seriously a whole book on this kind of stuff in basketball on paper).

If your theory was right, then Joey and Sam would have lit it up when the unselfish Joey Chartouney took over at point guard. The opposite happens.

If you don't take a shot it doesn't necessarily mean someone else gets a shot. Almost 1 in 5 times your team turns it over so players who have more trouble getting a shot off shoot higher percentages because they only take easier shots.

If Markus drew the defense and got the ball to an open three in the corner or Sam on the wing they had a good chance to hit. Likewise with the whole defense keyed on Howard's every move Sam or Joey could get a one on one backing someone down and they were very good at that

Howard's freshman year the defenses were not built around him and he came a couple of made three pointers from setting the all time 3 ot percentage. If teams were doubling Sam and Joey and leaving one player on an island against Markus he would have a great percentage and another half dozen 50 point games

I hate losing Sam, but you can't lose Markus. I don't think MU is top 10 without Sam, but still very good.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:20 PM »
You need to accept the reality of
transfers in NCAA basketball.

I get that it's a trend. And I don't expect MU to be immune. But starters leaving and guys leaving mid-season don't seem to be the norm. That's not something I see myself getting used to.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
Why did you conveniently leave out the Marquette vs. Creighton game? Did it not support your narrative? Fake news, right? By the way, that was one of the last six games (even though you included Villanova so it should've been out of the last seven games). In that game Creighton game, Sam was (1-7) from the field, and Markus was (11-21). Recalculate for accuracy![/size][/size][/size]

Crap I forgot that game. But if your numbers are right that actually helps my point.

Hold on will recalc.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Last 7 Games: Markus vs Sam vs Joey
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
Markus assist rate was over 27%, top 3% of all players and almost twice what Sam or Joey had.

With no point guard on the team, Markus created shots for others by drawing extra defenders this giving teammates easier shots. The player who does that hits a lower percentage (seriously a whole book on this kind of stuff in basketball on paper).

If your theory was right, then Joey and Sam would have lit it up when the unselfish Joey Chartouney took over at point guard. The opposite happens.

If you don't take a shot it doesn't necessarily mean someone else gets a shot. Almost 1 in 5 times your team turns it over so players who have more trouble getting a shot off shoot higher percentages because they only take easier shots.

If Markus drew the defense and got the ball to an open three in the corner or Sam on the wing they had a good chance to hit. Likewise with the whole defense keyed on Howard's every move Sam or Joey could get a one on one backing someone down and they were very good at that

Howard's freshman year the defenses were not built around him and he came a couple of made three pointers from setting the all time 3 ot percentage. If teams were doubling Sam and Joey and leaving one player on an island against Markus he would have a great percentage and another half dozen 50 point games

I hate losing Sam, but you can't lose Markus. I don't think MU is top 10 without Sam, but still very good.

Thank you Auburn. You put into words a point I have been trying to verbalize for a while.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »
FIXED:  FORGOT CREIGHTON GAME

Last 7 Games
Markus: 47-133 (.353), 169 PTS, 227 MIN
Sam: 34-85 (.400), 96 PTS, 259 MIN
Joey: 20-51 (.392), 59 PTS, 200 MIN

Vs. Villanova
Markus: 8-19, 25 PTS, 33 MIN
Sam: 5-9, 13 PTS, 39 MIN
Joey: 3-6, 8 PTS, 39 MIN

Vs. Creighton
Markus: 11-21, 33 PTS, 39 MIN
Sam: 1-7, 3 PTS, 37 MIN
Joey: 2-5, 6 PTS, 28 MIN

Vs. Seton Hall
Markus: 2-11, 6 PTS, 28 MIN
Sam: 9-19, 25 PTS, 40 MIN
Joey: 2-12, 4 PTS, 23 MIN

Vs. Georgetown
Markus: 8-25, 28 PTS, 31 MIN
Sam: 2-11, 7 PTS, 35 MIN
Joey: 3-6, 16 PTS, 31 MIN

Vs. St. John’s
Markus: 8-15, 30 PTS, 30 MIN
Sam: 4-7, 10 PTS, 33 MIN
Joey: 2-5, 5 PTS, 25 MIN

Vs. Seton Hall
Markus: 1-15, 21 PTS, 33 MIN
Sam: 7-15, 22 PTS, 38 MIN
Joey: 5-9, 12 PTS, 25 MIN

Vs. Murray State
Markus: 9-27, 26 PTS, 33 MIN
Sam: 6-17, 16 PTS, 37 MIN
Joey: 3-8, 8 PTS, 29 MIN

- Sam played 32 more minutes than Markus (4.6 more a game).
- Joey played 27 less minutes than Markus (3.9 less minutes a game).
- Joey scored 110 fewer points than Markus (15.7 less a game).
- Markus got 48 more shots off than Sam (6.8 more a game).
- Markus scored 73 more points than Sam (10.4 more a game).

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
That could have been true. But I doubt it was the reason he left a few games into the season. If something was truly dire, and he needed to be home to be with family, I'd guess that would have been a very public message.

Wojo's transfer issues have bugged me the whole time he's been here. If we this was more isolated, I could buy into whatever reason a player gave. But with the trend we've had of losing quality guys, there seems to be something consistent going on behind closed doors. Even Froling alluded to that today on Twitter.

When my mom got stage 4 cancer I left my job quickly and quietly to help take care of her. Took another job with better location and hours where one knew either. You keep really personal sh*t quiet because it's no one else's damn business.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 11:16:04 PM »
When my mom got stage 4 cancer I left my job quickly and quietly to help take care of her. Took another job with better location and hours where one knew either. You keep really personal sh*t quiet because it's no one else's damn business.

The average Joe keeps personal news quiet, but it's a little different when we're talking about guys who are the face of the university and are interviewed very regularly. Their lives are pretty public.

This kind of situation usually comes with a ton of questions about what led up to the decision. Hence the hundreds or thousands of posts about this transfer today across several different sites.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
The average Joe keeps personal news quiet, but it's a little different when we're talking about guys who are the face of the university and are interviewed very regularly. Their lives are pretty public.

This kind of situation usually comes with a ton of questions about what led up to the decision. Hence the hundreds or thousands of posts about this transfer today across several different sites.

Honestly, these are kids. It's still no ones damn business. Haanif is no different in that. You're impugning much more to this than should be put into this. Same with people who put Burton on Wojo--sometimes you just don't wanna be around the crap that reminds you of pain.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:48 PM »
Honestly, these are kids. It's still no ones damn business. Haanif is no different in that. You're impugning much more to this than should be put into this. Same with people who put Burton on Wojo--sometimes you just don't wanna be around the crap that reminds you of pain.

To me, I get why this can happen here and there. But it's happened too much under Wojo for me to ignore. That's what this all comes back to. When kids transfer, fans are curious to know the cause, so questions about motives come up. None of it (here at least) is malicious, it's just curiosity for something that is surprising.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 11:39:21 PM »
To me, I get why this can happen here and there. But it's happened too much under Wojo for me to ignore. That's what this all comes back to. When kids transfer, fans are curious to know the cause, so questions about motives come up. None of it (here at least) is malicious, it's just curiosity for something that is surprising.

How is Wojo’s transfer rate any worse than Buzz or Crean?  I think you forget how many transfers those two had as well. If you recall the nicknames house creaned and buzzcut

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 11:39:45 PM »

I think you should think less about Wojo with those two unless you think he is somehow bringing health issues to family members.

The others are Traci (Markus), Duane (Markus), Hausers (Markus?), Steve Taylor (playing time/level of play), Levin (girlfriend), Cohen (level of play), Froling (level of play). Outside of the Hausers most are Buzz holdovers. Froling was a bad move.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
If you're going to introduce turnovers "in big moments" into this conversation, pls don't consult Markus' late season film either.

And yes, 41% usage is that crazy.  36% for the season is crazy.  Henry Sugar shared that in-depth in this thread https://twitter.com/CrackedSidewlks/status/1111492010987409408 and this thread https://twitter.com/CrackedSidewlks/status/1111487502043365376

In the book “Scorecasting”, the authors analyzed “The Jordan Rules”. When MJ’s usage early-on was as high as what Markus was at this past season, the Bulls couldn’t advance. Out with Collins and in with Jackson and a 29% usage rate for Jordan was deemed optimal.  And, the Bulls went on their run.

Similarly, “The Howard Rules” were deployed in the last quarter of this season against MU and MH’s usage went up? Therein, we have our answer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
In the book “Scorecasting”, the authors analyzed “The Jordan Rules”. When MJ’s usage early-on was as high as what Markus was at this past season, the Bulls couldn’t advance. Out with Collins and in with Jackson and a 29% usage rate for Jordan was deemed optimal.  And, the Bulls went on their run.

Similarly, “The Howard Rules” were deployed in the last quarter of this season against MU and MH’s usage went up? Therein, we have our answer.

Serious question: Did "usage" even exist back then as a stat that teams had at their disposal?

Also, I do agree that Phil Jackson was a better coach than Wojo is. I know ... that's shocking!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 12:23:54 AM »
Serious question: Did "usage" even exist back then as a stat that teams had at their disposal?

Also, I do agree that Phil Jackson was a better coach than Wojo is. I know ... that's shocking!

Read the book.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 04:56:21 AM »
It’s not just Howard’s shooting, its the  fact that he doesn’t give the call up unless all hope is lost for him to shoot. It leaves everybody waiting, more or less, and when they do get the ball they’re not really in a position to do anything with it. You cannot look at shots taken and think that tells the story.

I hate that these kids are transferring, but I’ll be honest...all season long I’ve wondered how anybody could enjoy playing with Howard. I don’t blame them for leaving.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
I think you're drawing way too simple of a conclusion here. There has to be more behind the scenes. Why else would so many guys with solid futures choose to leave MU and Wojo? Losing Cheatham mid-year and now losing the Hausers like this just doesn't smell right. There's something about Wojo these guys are sick of.

Noticed HC transferring again possibly to Nebraska FWIW.

feedback