collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Where else were you accepted before choosing Marquette?  (Read 20589 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Where else were you accepted before choosing Marquette?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOyOEbdQDI&feature=related

"It really is a beautiful campus."

Is that guy serious?  It looked like an rural, semi-desolate farm.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
just go to the wikipedia page.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »
BC, SLU, Loyola-Chicago, Madison, Gonzaga

Denied by ND and Northwestern.

MU gave me the most money. It came down to MU and BC, could not be happier with the choice.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
Michigan State, Loyola (IL), Stanford, Marquette and NYU

Basically came down to Marquette and Stanford and choose Marquette due to financial constraints... would've been around $60K/year at Stanford + travel expenses... couldn't justify the cost.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 01:41:13 AM »
Wisconsin, Ripon, Cal, Sac State

It came down to Cal and MU. I visited both campuses and I hated Cal (seriously, it's an awful place)

Yes. The surrounding area is a crap hole.

If I ever had a daughter, I'd offer more money or a car or something for her to go elsewhere.

unnatural carnal knowledge the prestige...it's knowing that a bum waiting to grope you and drag you into an alley or bush won't be around my future kid is what will make me sleep better.
SS Marquette

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »

originally was going to play baseball so was looking at places like Butler and Valpo...once that had run it's course MU was the SURE choice.

I still wonder what it would have been like to go to a school with a football program...

However, it was fun just to get hammered and cheer for (or against, haha) all of our buddies' favorite teams
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
frack the prestige...it's knowing that a bum waiting to grope you and drag you into an alley or bush won't be around my future kid is what will make me sleep better.

Uhhhh head explode?  You went to Marquette, didn't you?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »

He said "bum," not "thug."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
Pitt, Ohio State, Ohio University, Xavier... Marquette was pretty clear leader the entire time, though Pitt challenged it for a bit... sure happy I made the right call!!!  ;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Marquette was only place applied.  I knew once I got my ACT scores back I was in and by Thanksgiving I was already accepted.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
Marquette, Syracuse and Colorado ... A&M and Texas were fall-back options but I was determined to go to college far away from home and/or extended family.  I chose MU after visiting Colorado and having a miserable visit.  Previously I'd ruled out the 'Cuse after deciding the tuition premium there was not worth it.  MU turned out to be the best decision I've ever made.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:41:52 PM by NYWarrior »

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »

MU isn't in the best neighborhood, but generally all you have to worry about is bums pestering you. DPS and MPD have really cracked down around campus, I think it's because they know if a pretty, rich white girl gets kidnapped then they have a PR nightmare.

Cal is in Berkeley, which is in the East Bay, next to Oakland and across the highway from Richmond. Did you ever see Coach Carter? That movie was based in Richmond. And if anything, they were too kind to the Richmond natives. Seriously, assault is a distinct possibility in the East Bay. I have friends that go to Cal and they never leave their room after nightfall

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
Boston College and some random WI schools

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »
MU isn't in the best neighborhood, but generally all you have to worry about is bums pestering you. DPS and MPD have really cracked down around campus, I think it's because they know if a pretty, rich white girl gets kidnapped then they have a PR nightmare.

Cal is in Berkeley, which is in the East Bay, next to Oakland and across the highway from Richmond. Did you ever see Coach Carter? That movie was based in Richmond. And if anything, they were too kind to the Richmond natives. Seriously, assault is a distinct possibility in the East Bay. I have friends that go to Cal and they never leave their room after nightfall

My friends got mugged at gun point and knife point between 17th and 18th in 03.  A kid got shot at a party in 2005.

I'm just saying, please don't act like Marquette isn't in a somewhat dangerous neighborhood.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
My friends got mugged at gun point and knife point between 17th and 18th in 03.  A kid got shot at a party in 2005.

I'm just saying, please don't act like Marquette isn't in a somewhat dangerous neighborhood.

I'm not saying Marquette's in a safe community, and I realize you have to be careful, but 2 years ago a Cal student was stabbed to death at a party. A year before that two non-students were murdered at a sorority house party.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
so they aren't that far apart

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:51 AM »
Street crimes are completely random, can happen anywhere at any time, and not even the most extreme measures (e.g. curfews, racial profiling, the National Guard, etc.) come close to eliminating the risk.  However, if you are hosting a party in a private home, you can, in theory, eliminate the risk of a shooting -- simply don't invite people who might bring a gun to a party.  But even if you do not eliminate the risk, you can certainly control and/or contain a portion of the risk.

I'm not saying MU is any safer than Cal or vice versa, but comparing crimes on the street to crimes in private homes (or apartments) is an apples and oranges comparison.  However, all else being equal, the place where crimes are prevalent in [supposedly] controlled settings is the more dangerous locale IMO.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
When I was at MU in the late 80s, I believe there were a couple of students murdered.  As I recall, one of them was way off site at a social event of some sort (maybe near the Bayshore Mall???) and the other was at something like 21st and State.  Another student was killed in a house fire.

The MU neighborhood is much better now than it was then.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »
My take on Cal is much like SacWarriors.

Seeing that we're CA natives who have spent some time in an urban setting (Milwaukee), I must agree with him.

The immediate North Side and surrounding neighborhoods of Marquette are dangerous.

But really, you're not sandwiched in between Emeryville and Oaktown (once the murder capital of the nation) and be a destination for some punks from Hayward, Vallejo, Richmond, and other parts of the Bay.

To boot, Telegraph attracts bums, free-spirits, vagrants, runaways...unsavories...tourists...crazies... I can't think of any street that's lined with some many people that's located next to a college campus.

Marquette doesn't have that...and with a smaller student population and cleaner lines (landscaping), the campus allows for better security. And as SacW mentioned, DPS is pretty much anywhere you want to find them.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
Yes. The surrounding area is a crap hole.

If I ever had a daughter, I'd offer more money or a car or something for her to go elsewhere.

frack the prestige...it's knowing that a bum waiting to grope you and drag you into an alley or bush won't be around my future kid is what will make me sleep better.

I wouldn't send my kids there for far different reasons, starting with the complete brain washing aspect.   ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
Yes, Chico, we know. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
I'm glad the topic has gotten into something 'controversial' like campus safety ...

Frankly, I'm astonished how safe MU has seemed the past few years compared to UWM. How many homicides have there been at UWM the past 5 years? Three? I realize they were likely all drug related, but still.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
I'm glad the topic has gotten into something 'controversial' like campus safety ...

Frankly, I'm astonished how safe MU has seemed the past few years compared to UWM. How many homicides have there been at UWM the past 5 years? Three? I realize they were likely all drug related, but still.
Don't forget the stick up guys who invaded the wrong apartments and homes looking to rob UWM student drug dealers.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/43234312.html

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »

When mom, dad, grandpa, grandma, you, Uncle Sam, etc. are dropping a pretty penny for your education, you're a little more conscious of your safety and the stupid stuff you probably shouldn't being doing.
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
I wouldn't send my kids there for far different reasons, starting with the complete brain washing aspect.   ;D

Same reason why I refuse to send my future kids to small, sectarian colleges in the South. ;D
SS Marquette

feedback