[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched, hit or grabbed?  (Read 36874 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Punched, hit or grabbed?
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
I see saying “nh” similar to saying “that’s what she said”, “pardon the pun”, “ooops, that came out wrong (nh)”, “uhh, I don’t mean that literally”. The idea that it’s homophobic or an attack on people or homosexuality is created in some of your own minds.

It literally contains the word homo. Which is a slur for a gay person. I don't believe anyone has an issue with the intent of the phrase. I love a good what's she said or when you were saying (pause).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
None of the definitions I saw on Urban Dictionary indicated anything about homosexuality. It refers to someone easily offended. I use the phrase as a child who's been spanked. Regardless, I've since agreed not to use it because I don't want to offend users like you and Goose who take it personal.

You are correct that the entomology of the word has nothing to do with homosexuality. It originated from spankings. A person would get verbally "spanked" and then be "butthurt" about it.

However, our society has started to associate it with a different meaning similar to the one Jay Bee pointed out. "You are whiny so you must like it up the butt." An unfortunate evolution of words.

Regardless, this is the important piece here. Apologizing and trying to do better in the future.
TAMU

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »
Any y'all who can't differentiate between the useless and entertainment value of a website vs reality, just is taking life too seriously or has their priorities misplaced. What the hell is wrong with some of you people?

Eloquent, Dr Tooth.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
While we're at it, probably should stop using the term "slurpers."

Eh, the word, while disgusting, doesn't disparage a specific group of people at least that I'm aware of. It's an equal opportunity disparager.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
Any y'all who can't differentiate between the useless and entertainment value of a website vs reality, just is taking life too seriously or has their priorities misplaced. What the hell is wrong with some of you people?

You are right, scoop is both useless and entertaining. I spend too much time on here for my own good and its because of the entertainment. I just reject the idea that the entertainment needs to contain slurs in order to be entertainment.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
brew

Truthfully, I was just busting your balls (not sure is that talk is allowed on this thread or just the Grandstaff or Joey thread) and was trying to make a point. Some on here believe they can say whatever they want, but get offended by other posters comments. I do not think butthurt is offensive, just a stupid word and poor attempt to be clever. For some reason, you and some others love to use that saying when speaking to a faction of scoop. If TAMU would be in a debate with someone, you would never use that saying in a post to him. You have used it for a reason.

As for me, it would take a great deal for an internet forum to offend me. If I did find something offensive, I would probably find a new forum to frequent or use ignore option for posters who offend me. What frustrates me is some on here feel a need to jab others at all cost. nags made a point to name 4-5 posters he believes are in the same camp and think making assumptions is flat out stupid.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »
Eh, the word, while disgusting, doesn't disparage a specific group of people at least that I'm aware of. It's an equal opportunity disparager.

B.S.  "slupers" as used by wee willie and others is meant as an insult to male wojo fans who apparently want to give beejays to the head coach.

What happened to sticks and stones (no insult or double entendre) but words wont hurt me?

The, some of you cats are so uptight that a slurp might be just what the dr ordered.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »
TSmith

brew's stating he would not use butthurt again was followed by explanation on why he uses it, and a request for me to be offended by others. If I offend someone, I would probably apologize and skip the explanation.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
This.

In before the lock. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
brew

Truthfully, I was just busting your balls (not sure is that talk is allowed on this thread or just the Grandstaff or Joey thread) and was trying to make a point. Some on here believe they can say whatever they want, but get offended by other posters comments. I do not think butthurt is offensive, just a stupid word and poor attempt to be clever. For some reason, you and some others love to use that saying when speaking to a faction of scoop. If TAMU would be in a debate with someone, you would never use that saying in a post to him. You have used it for a reason.

I know you were, regardless, I'll avoid it. And as I knew that, I felt the explanation was apropos. Your sarcastic response drew one in return. I haven't noticed you call out snowflake in the same way, which has the same meaning. Is it because of who uses it that you treat it differently?

As for me, it would take a great deal for an internet forum to offend me. If I did find something offensive, I would probably find a new forum to frequent or use ignore option for posters who offend me. What frustrates me is some on here feel a need to jab others at all cost. nags made a point to name 4-5 posters he believes are in the same camp and think making assumptions is flat out stupid.

I don't feel a need to jab others at all cost. I have plenty of perfectly reasonable discussions with JB and most everyone else on here. I've even had reasons to agree with Ners of late. However, I will take exceptions to slurs, whomever is going to use them.

Generally, I think if it's NSFW, it's probably also not suitable for Scoop. If you wouldn't walk into the office and say it, why would you say it here? I think back to MSK's "Im not aware of any gay Marquette fans." comment and wonder why that matters at all. Does that mean he can drop the N-word if he isn't aware of any black Scoopers? Would he use that word comfortably in an all-white office setting? What about slurs for other segments of the population?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
B.S.  "slupers" as used by wee willie and others is meant as an insult to male wojo fans who apparently want to give beejays to the head coach.

What happened to sticks and stones (no insult or double entendre) but words wont hurt me?

The, some of you cats are so uptight that a slurp might be just what the dr ordered.

As far as I am aware, slurper refers to anyone of any gender/race/creed/sexual orientation/etc who enjoys consuming semen. It's a disgusting insult. But it's not a slur in the way that homo, f*gg*t, dago, etc are. While I try not hurl insults myself, I tend to not be bothered by others' insults unless they are derogatory terms for specific groups of people.

In my experience words usually hurt a lot more than sticks and stones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:54:55 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
I can't speak for Nags, but I don't think this is the point of what he was getting at. He wasn't saying "If MUBB staff can't say it, Scoop can't say it." I think he was trying to get at "why can't MUBB staff say it?" The answer is because it is a joke that is widely considered offensive and contains a word that is derogatory towards a specific group of people. No that doesn't mean it can't be posted on scoop, but I think it does raise the question of "should it be posted on scoop?".
Actually you very much nailed what I was saying - thx.  The point was so wildly missed that I wasn't going to try again......maybe that's dumb of me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
All the threads are why we can't have nice things.

And no way this gets to a 5th page before the lock

So do our bets double now that it got a 6th page?

;D
TAMU

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

I can't believe you would generalize us all as "people".  68% of accounts are Chicos' bots

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »
brew

Truthfully, I was just busting your balls (not sure is that talk is allowed on this thread or just the Grandstaff or Joey thread)

Why wouldn't it be? As far as I am aware, no one has expressed any discomfort or offense with jokes about genitalia. The concern being raised is about the use of a slur against people who identify at LGBTQ.
TAMU

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »
I know you were, regardless, I'll avoid it. And as I knew that, I felt the explanation was apropos. Your sarcastic response drew one in return. I haven't noticed you call out snowflake in the same way, which has the same meaning. Is it because of who uses it that you treat it differently?

I don't feel a need to jab others at all cost. I have plenty of perfectly reasonable discussions with JB and most everyone else on here. I've even had reasons to agree with Ners of late. However, I will take exceptions to slurs, whomever is going to use them.

Generally, I think if it's NSFW, it's probably also not suitable for Scoop. If you wouldn't walk into the office and say it, why would you say it here? I think back to MSK's "Im not aware of any gay Marquette fans." comment and wonder why that matters at all. Does that mean he can drop the N-word if he isn't aware of any black Scoopers? Would he use that word comfortably in an all-white office setting? What about slurs for other segments of the population?

Snowflake is not the same as butthurt.  A snowflake is someone who melts down at the first sign of anything that doesnt conform to their safe space world view.  See also: twitter.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
As far as I am aware, slurper refers to anyone of any gender/race/creed/sexual orientation/etc who enjoys consuming semen.

In my experience words usually hurt a lot more than sticks and stones.

Bruh.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »
You are correct that the entomology of the word has nothing to do with homosexuality. It originated from spankings. A person would get verbally "spanked" and then be "butthurt" about it.

However, our society has started to associate it with a different meaning similar to the one Jay Bee pointed out. "You are whiny so you must like it up the butt." An unfortunate evolution of words.

Regardless, this is the important piece here. Apologizing and trying to do better in the future.

But the association with homosexuals in this context is all in JayBee's head, one could be into pegging (See Deadpool) or a woman into that type of intercourse as well not just a homosexual male.

Snowflake is not the same as butthurt.  A snowflake is someone who melts down at the first sign of anything that doesnt conform to their safe space world view.  See also: twitter.

You could argue this both ways you know... when someone set in their old ways gets called out on it they generally melt no different than the original person calling them out (see this thread and every other time JayBee's been called out for it)
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
Hence the term broflake.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
So do our bets double now that it got a 6th page?

;D

Please head to the window to collect
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
TAMU

Where is the line drawn on making someone feel uncomfortable? How many people need to feel uncomfortable to make it unacceptable? Is there age discrimination on scoop? Posters have made many comments on my age (which is 55) in a negative manner. As a matter of fact, it is a common theme with some on here. I never get butthurt over age discrimination. I consider the source and move on. As some like to say, move on...nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:18:37 AM by Goose »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
TAMU

Where is the line drawn on making someone feel comfortable? How many people need to feel uncomfortable to make it unacceptable? Is there age discrimination on scoop? Posters have made many comments on my age (which is 55) in a negative manner. As a matter of fact, it is a common theme with some on here. I never get butthurt over age discrimination. I consider the source and move on. As some like to say, move on...nothing to see here.

That's a great question and one that I think only each individual can answer. I personally try to golden rule it "if someone asked this of me,  how would I want them to respond?".

Everyone is going to have a different line in the sand for what is and isn't acceptable. And that's OK. I just believe that it's important to respect other people's lines even if they're at a lower threshold.

Im sorry that people have made fun of you for your age. If I'm one of them I sincerely apologize. Age discrimination probably goes more unchecked in our society than most forms of discrimination.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
Please head to the window to collect

Goose

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
TAMU

No need to apologize on the age thing. It was a general question on the topic. I am not offended by some idiot online bashing my age. What the fxck do I care? Was just curious if you felt age discrimination should be allowed?

romey

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
Solid point.  I was reacting to the rallying to support the use of the 'no homo'.....or maybe the passive acceptance of bigotry. 

There is a lot of energy here (not in your specific post here but in the previous 75ish posts) to avoid the very basic question of why it's OK to let someone repeatedly use the phrase 'no homo' but it wouldn't be OK to use other slurs.  As i pointed out earlier if someone repeatedly said "Markus needs to stop monkeying around with the ball" it would be far from OK, if someone repeatedly said "Wojo acts like a retard in his huddles" it would be far from OK i.e. rightfully not allowed.....but somehow referring to a person or act as a 'homo' is totally fine and even defendable.  It wouldn't be allowed in the vast number of public forums we all interact in on a daily basis (work, kids school, etc.) so it is difficult to understand why it is accepted here.
Just catching up on scoop and spent way too much time already this morning reading all of these posts, but this one is interesting to me.  I'm in the 55+ group, so I can tell you growing up my mother would often tell me to stop monkeying around.  It's when I was restless, fidgety, and acting like a monkey.  Go to the zoo and watch the monkeys.  So if someone said "Joseph Chartouney (sp?)should stop monkeying around with the ball", is that offensive?  The problem IMHO, is over time as SOME people begin to use a word as a slur ie. monkey related to a person of a particular race, then it becomes a "slur".  Who determines that?  10% of the population?  30%? 50 %?  So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?