[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Expected to put logos on jerseys  (Read 2152 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
NBA Expected to put logos on jerseys
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/news/nba-corporate-logos-jerseys/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

It has long been going on in sports like soccer and pro cycling, so it was only a matter of time.  Wonder how long it takes to spread to the other pro leagues...and ultimately to college sports.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: NBA Expected to put logos on jerseys
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
I have always wondered about the cyclists who insist on kitting out like Lance Armstrong when all they really are in effect are billboards for various European consumer goods companies. Seattle is a cycling town and the majority of commuters look as if they are in the Tour d'France.

Our offices are in the MSFT Bravern Tower and I ride a Trek everyday to and from home. I have never once considered getting any of that stuff, if only to prevent the female car drivers from taking their eyes off the road... 

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
I have always wondered about the cyclists who insist on kitting out like Lance Armstrong when all they really are in effect are billboards for various European consumer goods companies. Seattle is a cycling town and the majority of commuters look as if they are in the Tour d'France.

Our offices are in the MSFT Bravern Tower and I ride a Trek everyday to and from home. I have never once considered getting any of that stuff, if only to prevent the female car drivers from taking their eyes off the road...

I have to admit I fell for that in my younger days - I thought it looked "cool," until I realized it really looked dorky.  These days, the only logo on my cycling stuff is the small embroidered brand name of the manufacturer. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/news/nba-corporate-logos-jerseys/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

It has long been going on in sports like soccer and pro cycling, so it was only a matter of time.  Wonder how long it takes to spread to the other pro leagues...and ultimately to college sports.

Well, it's already been happening for a long time with Nike/adidas logos and what not, just in a less obstrusive fashion.
People will complain about it for a bit, but before long it'll just be accepted and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about .... just like ads behind home plate in baseball and on the ice in hockey.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
I have always wondered about the cyclists who insist on kitting out like Lance Armstrong when all they really are in effect are billboards for various European consumer goods companies...

Several months ago, I heard a great name for those types from my son: "full kit wankers."  At the time, he was referring to people who wear full soccer kits, but has explained that it applies equally to people wearing full basketball uniforms and even full matching running suits.  I'm certain he'd would say it also applies in the context you describe with cyclists.

Ever since first hearing it, I've considered it one of the funniest phrases I know.  Perfectly descriptive.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »

It sucks, but the way it goes.  I first had a proposal to put our company name on jerseys in a mockup over 10 years ago....it was for the NBA.  It didn't go anywhere because in parallel the board of governors said no.  Silver is more "progressive" (which doesn't always mean good) than David was.   We've had logos on soccer jerseys here in the US for a long time, but the one that will make me vomit is baseball.  Yes, likely it is all inevitable, but I think it sucks in so many ways.

The mfg logo of the actual garment is a lot different...they made the garment, or the shoes.  They are the equipment manufacturers.  Having Dunkin Donuts on the New York Yankees jerseys.....just sucks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
This is lame, but a long time coming.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
Just for fun...what are some natural pairings in the NBA?  In other sports?  I'll start with a few...

Cavaliers (Chevrolet)
Bulls (Red Bull)
Clippers (Braun)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
Brewers (Miller)
Packers (Sargento)
Bucks (Remington)

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
Houston (NASA)
Utah (pick some random MLM)
Denver (Vail resorts)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
Packers - Foamation, Inc. (Cheeseheads)
Washington Redskins - Red Man chewing tobacco
Carolina Panthers - Puma

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »
Los Angeles St. Louis Los Angeles Rams United Van Lines
Cleveland Browns Betty Ford Center

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Several months ago, I heard a great name for those types from my son: "full kit wankers."  At the time, he was referring to people who wear full soccer kits, but has explained that it applies equally to people wearing full basketball uniforms and even full matching running suits.  I'm certain he'd would say it also applies in the context you describe with cyclists.

Ever since first hearing it, I've considered it one of the funniest phrases I know.  Perfectly descriptive.

One of my fav as well.  My friend and I learned it our senior year of college and still get excited when we see one in the flesh.  If you look at our text conversation images, I'd say a good 75% are pictures of FKWs we've sent each other.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
Los Angeles St. Louis Los Angeles Rams United Van Lines
Cleveland Browns Betty Ford Center

You forgot Cleveland Rams.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
Guinness on Celtics jersey.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
Neutrogena sun block

Redskins

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »
I have to admit I fell for that in my younger days - I thought it looked "cool," until I realized it really looked dorky.  These days, the only logo on my cycling stuff is the small embroidered brand name of the manufacturer.

I am a commuter so I wear my work clothes which on days like today is Arc'teryx shorts. Great thing about Seattle in general and tech in particular is that dress codes are seen as inhibiting to an innovative environment. I take full advantage of that throughout the year.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 05:44:35 PM »

I used this at work yesterday and it resonated completely.

"Full Kit Wankers" has already joined the lexicon of the team on the 8th floor of Bravern Tower 1.

Death on call