[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy Father’s Day  (Read 1025 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Happy Father’s Day
« on: June 18, 2023, 07:50:36 AM »
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, even the losers and haters, of which there are many!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Happy Father’s Day
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 07:56:09 AM »
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, even the losers and haters, of which there are many!

This loser/hater thanks you for your kind words and wishes.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 08:04:37 AM »

This loser/hater thanks you for your kind words and wishes.

This is classic Scoop. Love it!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »
Happy Father’s Day to all.  Dad’s who are active, involved, and good role models is so critical in so many ways and undervalued I believe.  Blessings to all who live these daily, clearly which are many here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:12:05 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 08:23:16 AM »
Happy Father’s Day to all.  Dad’s who are active, involved, and good role models is so critical in so many ways and undervalued I believe.  Blessings to all who live these daily, clearly which are many here.

So true. My father died suddenly of a heart attack on Father's Day in 1969, between my Junior and Senior years at Marquette. Fifty four years later, I still miss him. Because he was such a great role model, in many ways he still lives on in me and my siblings.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 09:10:58 AM »
It is a blessing to be able to have kids and be a part of their life .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 08:48:56 AM »
It is a blessing to be able to have kids and be a part of their life .

Brother Herm:

You hit the nail smack on the middle of the head. It was many, many years before my wife and I had children. But when we did, they were truly unique and special characters.

Yeah, there were days when it's a good thing we didn't have weapons in the house..... (only kidding there for you folks who take everything seriously!). But there were many more days when they were there for me and for my wife and they kept us grounded.

My proudest moments were watching both of my children walk across a stage and receive their college degrees. Or when my son went year after year to Eastern Kentucky to help rebuild people's homes. Or when some woman was being ugly to my wife in a parking lot and my teen-aged daughter looked at the woman and said, "That's my Mom you're talking to. Don't you EVER talk to my Mom like that. Do you understand me? Do you (as she leaned into the woman's face, afraid of nothing!)!!!"

My daughter is in Denver and son in suburban Chicago, but we're sure to spend lots of time with them this year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 08:57:25 AM »
Father's Day releated...

Had my Uncle / godfather over to our (newish) house for the first time yesterday.  I was showing off the rec room, including a plaque commemorating the 1971 team (28-1, IYKYK).  We studied the plaque, all the records etc and my Uncle said to me:

"I missed that whole season, that's when I was in Vietnam...your Dad wrote me a 7 page letter about that Ohio State game --- did you know Dean Mememinger never fouled out before that!!"
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
Spent Father’s Day in suburban Chicago watching my son be a dad to his 3-year-old twin boys. Very proud to see how great a daddy he is!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 12:03:37 PM »
The only thing better than being Dad is watching my son's being a Dad. Extremely proud of them and love my granddaughter's with all of my heart.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 12:35:46 PM »
The only thing better than being Dad is watching my son's being a Dad. Extremely proud of them and love my granddaughter's with all of my heart.

I think the same thing from the other angle, and I'm sure your sons would agree... seeing my Dad become a grandpa, and how much joy and love that comes with it, is a really special thing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 12:56:26 PM »
MUfan

Being is a grandpa is unbelievable and hoping for another dozen or so to join the family!

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 02:18:37 PM »
The worst day of my life was when my son called to say they had lost twin girls 22 months into pregnancy.  The best day of my life was 2 years later when my daughter-in-law delivered a beautiful little girl.  That was 17 months ago and yesterday they were all over at the house for a cookout.  What a wonderful day!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 02:23:46 PM »
MU1

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you had a great Father's Day!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 02:31:59 PM »
Father's Day releated...

Had my Uncle / godfather over to our (newish) house for the first time yesterday.  I was showing off the rec room, including a plaque commemorating the 1971 team (28-1, IYKYK).  We studied the plaque, all the records etc and my Uncle said to me:

"I missed that whole season, that's when I was in Vietnam...your Dad wrote me a 7 page letter about that Ohio State game --- did you know Dean Mememinger never fouled out before that!!"

Great story, Lens. I was on active duty during the 70-71 season. At Ft Polk, La. for basic training from November - January so I missed much of the season entirely. Moved to Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio for medic training so I at least got to follow the last couple of months, mostly by newspaper accounts. I listened to the Ohio State game on a transistor radio - the reception was as awful as the reffing and the final score. My army friends were a little shocked by how upset I was - I told them if they had experienced Marquette basketball they would understand.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 08:05:17 AM »
Great story, Lens. I was on active duty during the 70-71 season. At Ft Polk, La. for basic training from November - January so I missed much of the season entirely. Moved to Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio for medic training so I at least got to follow the last couple of months, mostly by newspaper accounts. I listened to the Ohio State game on a transistor radio - the reception was as awful as the reffing and the final score. My army friends were a little shocked by how upset I was - I told them if they had experienced Marquette basketball they would understand.

My Dad's job took us to Nashville in 1961. Dad was a huge believer in Marquette University and did whatever he could to repay the commitment Marquette made in him. So, for much of my early life, we followed Marquette as you did, via newspapers and a very occasional national television broadcast. When we were up north in Douglas County, WI, we would occasionally on just the right day, get a broadcast when Marquette was playing Minnesota or Iowa.

But in March 1972, Marquette played at Stokley Athletic Center on the University of Tennessee's campus in the first round of the NCAAs. Dad packed the car up and took my brothers and I over to Knoxville. It was the tournament right after Jim Chones turned pro and the NCAA was out to get Al McGuire and our Warriors. It became "us against the world" and Dad made sure we were proud Warrior fans as it was the first time I ever saw Marquette in person. We did what was expected and beat Miami of Ohio that day (unlike six years later) but losing Jim Chones left our guys kind of in a haze. We lost the following week to Kentucky.

A year later, Marquette played at Memorial Gym in Nashville for the Mideast Regional and Dad gave me the tickets. We lost to a young Bob Knight and Indiana -- why I still don't know because we were pretty good that year -- but blew local favorite Austin Peay and Fly Williams to kingdom come. The next year, when we played in Tuscaloosa for the Mideast (and ended up killing Vanderbilt), I begged my Dad to go but the answer inevitably was "you've got too much school to attend to..."

That's where it came from LOL!!!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:32 AM »
My Dad's job took us to Nashville in 1961. Dad was a huge believer in Marquette University and did whatever he could to repay the commitment Marquette made in him. So, for much of my early life, we followed Marquette as you did, via newspapers and a very occasional national television broadcast. When we were up north in Douglas County, WI, we would occasionally on just the right day, get a broadcast when Marquette was playing Minnesota or Iowa.

But in March 1972, Marquette played at Stokley Athletic Center on the University of Tennessee's campus in the first round of the NCAAs. Dad packed the car up and took my brothers and I over to Knoxville. It was the tournament right after Jim Chones turned pro and the NCAA was out to get Al McGuire and our Warriors. It became "us against the world" and Dad made sure we were proud Warrior fans as it was the first time I ever saw Marquette in person. We did what was expected and beat Miami of Ohio that day (unlike six years later) but losing Jim Chones left our guys kind of in a haze. We lost the following week to Kentucky.

A year later, Marquette played at Memorial Gym in Nashville for the Mideast Regional and Dad gave me the tickets. We lost to a young Bob Knight and Indiana -- why I still don't know because we were pretty good that year -- but blew local favorite Austin Peay and Fly Williams to kingdom come. The next year, when we played in Tuscaloosa for the Mideast (and ended up killing Vanderbilt), I begged my Dad to go but the answer inevitably was "you've got too much school to attend to..."

That's where it came from LOL!!!!!

Close, but pretty sure the Warriors played Ohio University and not Miami of Ohio in the first rd. of the Tourney that year, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 05:06:54 PM »

Close, but pretty sure the Warriors played Ohio University and not Miami of Ohio in the first rd. of the Tourney that year, hey?

What’s the difference, LOL.

Dispatched chump teams!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2023, 04:52:58 AM »
So true. My father died suddenly of a heart attack on Father's Day in 1969, between my Junior and Senior years at Marquette. Fifty four years later, I still miss him. Because he was such a great role model, in many ways he still lives on in me and my siblings.

just catching up on these father day posts-wow scoop!  what a bittersweet, but powerful memory of your father.  reminds many of us to cherish even more, the times we have with our loved ones, dads, when they are still around and the effects they still have on us; challenges to be all that and more to our own children.

goose- you hit it out of the park again! watching our kids become parents is another step thru the threshold applying what you have bestowed upon them...well, the stuff that worked anyway
don't...don't don't don't don't

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
  just catching up on these father day posts-wow scoop!  what a bittersweet, but powerful memory of your father.  reminds many of us to cherish even more, the times we have with our loved ones, dads, when they are still around and the effects they still have on us; challenges to be all that and more to our own children.

goose- you hit it out of the park again! watching our kids become parents is another step thru the threshold applying what you have bestowed upon them...well, the stuff that worked anyway

Thanks for your reply. You nailed it. Kudos!

feedback