'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Flops  (Read 4799 times)

Coleman

• All American
Flops
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »
Does any other team in college basketball flop this much?

JWags85

• All American
Re: Flops
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
Wisconsin and Duke, but they are a close second

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
Defensively we either take a charge or "foul them". Interesting strategy.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree. This team reacts to contact like they are on ice skates and we can't beat them at a game of knockout.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
I blame Davante.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
I was going to bring it up before the game, but I restrained myself.  I wish they would pay college players just so they could fine Creighton's players for flopping.  Absolute joke tonight.  This was not a basketball game.  I have no idea who the better team was because there was very little basketball played.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
I have no idea who the better team was because there was very little basketball played.

I'll go out on a limb and choose the one that's ranked 11th in the nation and that cleaned our clocks twice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and choose the one that's ranked 11th in the nation and that cleaned our clocks twice.
amen.  we don't belong on the same court

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »

I understand that you can easily say that because we lost.  However, if you think that what you watched today was a basketball game, then you don't enjoy watching basketball.  I understand that Creighton may have a better team than Marquette, but I didn't get to see tonight one way or another.  I got gypped out of my money.  I got to watch fouls get called every time down the floor for over 10 minutes of game time at the beginning of the second half.  I think its crazy for anyone to say that this game proves anything except Creighton shoots free throws better. 

And please don't say the players fouled every time down the court.  They didn't.  This was simply a horrible and unwatchable performance by the officials.  It was not a test of anything one way or the other.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
The contrast in officiating between the halves was insane, that was one of the most ridiculously called games I've seen in a while.

Having said that, Creighton is the better team clearly.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »
Was the game called inconsistently between halves? Yep. I don't feel that it was called inconsistently between teams, though.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »

Really don't know how you can say that.

When a team is tougher and you don't get foul calls, I understand that complaining should go unnoticed.

Just picture the BEast Tournament in the Garden this year.  The introductions start with the tough, urban base beats.  Guys chest bumping.  Then Creighton runs around, arms flailing.  Refs blowing whistles on every possession.  Is that really the Big East?  Just consider the difference the players on this team have to put up with between this year and last year.  Its ridiculous.   Its a CYO dance. I have no idea how you can come to any conclusions about anything after a game like tonight.  All you have is your preordained conclusions because this was not a competition.  Not a basketball game tonight.  Sorry.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Really don't know how you can say that.

I can say it for a few reasons:

- They have the best player in the country, who is about to run away with National POY. 
 - The rest of the team shoots the ball really well;they are arguably the best off team in the country
 - MU had a foul advantage in the first half and was still down 7
 - They've now smoked MU twice (and probably a 3rd time if they get the chance)

I don't know what leads you to believe otherwise.  crapty refs isn't very convincing.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »
I can say it for a few reasons:

- They have the best player in the country, who is about to run away with National POY. 
 - The rest of the team shoots the ball really well;they are arguably the best off team in the country
 - MU had a foul advantage in the first half and was still down 7
 - They've now smoked MU twice (and probably a 3rd time if they get the chance)

I don't know what leads you to believe otherwise.  crapty refs isn't very convincing.

If basketball is a jump shooting contest, then I guess you're right that McDermott is the best player in the country.  I just didn't believe I saw an athletic competition tonight.  Fine, McDermott is going to be POY, but that doesn't mean he's the best player in the country.  Shooting isn't the end-all-be-all of basketball.  The first 12 minutes of the second half was unwatchable and not even an athletic competition if you were watching it.  Again, you can draw whatever conclusions you want, but I don't think that I watched a basketball game tonight.  See how often before tonight I've complained about officials.  Tonight was stupid bad.  If you think you watched a basketball game tonight, then you don't watch a whole lot of basketball. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
If basketball is a jump shooting contest, then I guess you're right that McDermott is the best player in the country.  I just didn't believe I saw an athletic competition tonight.  Fine, McDermott is going to be POY, but that doesn't mean he's the best player in the country.  Shooting isn't the end-all-be-all of basketball.  The first 12 minutes of the second half was unwatchable and not even an athletic competition if you were watching it.  Again, you can draw whatever conclusions you want, but I don't think that I watched a basketball game tonight.  See how often before tonight I've complained about officials.  Tonight was stupid bad.  If you think you watched a basketball game tonight, then you don't watch a whole lot of basketball. 

I'm drawing my conclusion from watching Creighton play Marquette head to head for two games and winning easily both times.  Again, the first half officiating was fine, McDermott didn't much, MU played fine, and they were still down by 7 at half.

I'm really interested to see who you think is better than McDermott right now.  He's the Nation's leading scorer and shoots 54% from the field.  Averaging 26/7 a game right now.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
Unfortunately, the two games I have attended this year are both games against Creighton.  I say this with no sarcasm, I honestly believe they coach the whiplash reaction.  They all react with the same exact head jerk as they are running through the lane, with or without the ball, offense or defense.  Unfortunately for MU, their skill at timing the whiplash reaction is only exceeded by their shooting ability.  I honestly don't understand how refs don't reach the point of it being like the boy who cried wolf.  One would think a team would be more likely to get fewer close calls to go your way if with every slight brush, a player's head jerks back like he is having a spastic fit.

Sour grapes? Absolutely.  It would be a hell of a lot more fun posting about MU raining threes and being in first place in the BE.  However, unlike other opponents, for some reason I can still respect Creighton.  Maybe it's due to this being their first year as a conference opponent.  Maybe it's because they wear blue and not red.  Maybe it is due to all of their fans being so nice to us when were in Omaha.

Give it time, I'm sure in a year or two I won't be able to stand them either.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
Creighton is the better team and McDermott is the best player in the country.

But good grief, it's like the game was being played in a wind tunnel

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
I'm drawing my conclusion from watching Creighton play Marquette head to head for two games and winning easily both times.  Again, the first half officiating was fine, McDermott didn't much, MU played fine, and they were still down by 7 at half.

I'm really interested to see who you think is better than McDermott right now.  He's the Nation's leading scorer and shoots 54% from the field.  Averaging 26/7 a game right now.

None of the officiating is fine.  If you believe it was fine, that's fine.  I don't know who is better than McDermott.  In the Big East, I prefer D'Angelo Harrison to McDermott.  You can quote whatever stats you want.  I've loved watching Harrison play for all 3 years he's been in the league.  Look at SJU v. STJ.  Harrison scored all the points down the stretch while McDermott had none.  Harrison's a tough SOB.  Not a fan of watching MVC style play in the Big East.  We'll see what happens tournament time.  Not disrespecting McDermott or anything he's done and think he's a great player, but to praise him after a game like tonight's is kind of meaningless.  If you took something from tonight's game, that's fine.  I took nothing from it.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
The contrast in officiating between the halves was insane, that was one of the most ridiculously called games I've seen in a while.

This.  Whatever the refs discussed at halftime put the nail in the coffin for MU.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
Maybe it is due to all of their fans being so nice to us when were in Omaha.

Glad they were nice in Omaha, because the ones that made the trip tonight were absolute pricks.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
None of the officiating is fine.  If you believe it was fine, that's fine.  I don't know who is better than McDermott.  In the Big East, I prefer D'Angelo Harrison to McDermott.  You can quote whatever stats you want.  I've loved watching Harrison play for all 3 years he's been in the league.  Look at SJU v. STJ.  Harrison scored all the points down the stretch while McDermott had none.  Harrison's a tough SOB.  Not a fan of watching MVC style play in the Big East.  We'll see what happens tournament time.  Not disrespecting McDermott or anything he's done and think he's a great player, but to praise him after a game like tonight's is kind of meaningless.  If you took something from tonight's game, that's fine.  I took nothing from it.

So you think the officiating has really been that bad all season and that has lead to Creighton's success in the BE??

Also, you can't mention Creighton vs St John's and not mention the fact McDermott had 39pts and the game winner in their first meeting.

I get that you like the way Harrison plays, but I think you're absolutely nuts to make the argument that Harrison has been a better player than McDermott this year.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »
Glad they were nice in Omaha, because the ones that made the trip tonight were absolute pricks.
please share

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
So you think the officiating has really been that bad all season and that has lead to Creighton's success in the BE??

Also, you can't mention Creighton vs St John's and not mention the fact McDermott had 39pts and the game winner in their first meeting.

I get that you like the way Harrison plays, but I think you're absolutely nuts to make the argument that Harrison has been a better player than McDermott this year.

Sorry, I meant the officiating tonight.  But I also agree that the officiating has been terrible all year.  The Bilas rules have been a horrible influence on the game.

We'll see where the year goes as far as Creighton goes.  I don't vote for POY.  I just hope when McDermott has bad games in the Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament and Creighton loses, the people don't just say Doug or Creighton had a bad shooting game.  Instead, they give credit to the defense.  Which I'm pretty sure Craig and the team don't really play.  I get Creighton's a great shooting team.  And they space the floor.  When teams are allowed to play defense, that alone doesn't cut it.

I don't elevate Creighton much beyond being a great shooting team, and I don't hold that in as high esteem as other qualities in a player or team.  That may be crazy, especially in the ballet that is college basketball this year.  I don't really care.  

I don't care if St. John's is better than Creighton, or if Harrison is better than McDermott.  I'd prefer Harrison over McDermott and St. John's over Creighton.  I'm not attempting to make any type of objective or statistical comparison.  When they let teams play basketball, I'd take St. John's and I'm sure Harrison can get his.  If that's crazy, that's fine.  

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »
please share

Yes, please do share.. I was at the game tonight and I saw tons of Creighton fans on their feet cheering for their team but thats about it... didn't see one obnoxious fan outta all of them.  I can't remember a time (Bucky excluded) where I saw more away fans in our house than tonight and it was a WEDNESDAY night!!  Student section was quite embarassing for how empty it was as well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »
Creighton be flopping, no doubt. Also be flopping in the BE cellar in 2014.

I feel bad for CU fans, their selection in team wear is limited to the same selection Sweeney offers MU fans in his store