Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Murray State? Wow... #9 MU vs. #10 MSU in the 2nd rd?!?!  (Read 4768 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Murray State? Wow... #9 MU vs. #10 MSU in the 2nd rd?!?!
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
I'm worried about playing a team that went 30-1 in their home state. 

Then I saw this...

MSU is 237th in the country in rebounding at 33 rpg!!!!

and

they don't have much size, 2 6-9's and 2 6-7's.

Gotta like Missou then MSU to Final Four!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

nyg

• All American
Re: Murray State? Wow... #9 MU vs. #10 MSU in the 2nd rd?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »
Yeah, but that guard Cannon can go off.  He is the real deal.  If we actually play them, then keep him in play and MU wins.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
Right now I am worried about the first round game. I would love to play Murray St.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
Right now I am worried about the first round game. I would love to play Murray St.
You, sir, are a Marquette fan.  It is our responsibility to worry about any game MU plays.  I know I always do.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
You, sir, are a Marquette fan.  It is our responsibility to worry about any game MU plays.  I know I always do.

So you are guaranteeing that MU wins its first game?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

boyonthedock

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
So you are guaranteeing that MU wins its first game?
I'll guarantee it. although, keep in mind i have no credibility or accountability.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Murray State has FOUR top 100 kenpom wins.  A 9, a 42, a 64, 70.  

26 of their 30 wins are non-NCAA, non-NIT, non-CBA teams.

Compare that to the #12 ranked team .. Wichita State .. they have 10 under 100.
#13 - Florida State - 14
#14 - Michigan - 14

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
One tough thing...hard to start preparing until we know who we're going to play. On the plus side, both teams play up-tempo basketball. As far as Murray State...no idea how they get to play in Louisville as a 6-seed. That could basically be an away game for us. Very unfavorable for a supposedly "protected" seed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
I agree that Murray State may be a 5/6 seed.  However, the one thing which is going to be BRUTAL is that we are going to be playing a road game atmosphere on Saturday if we and Murray State win.

Kentucky will be playing in the other game Saturday, and undoubtedly all of their fans will be rooting for the Racers...
1)  Same-state team
2)  Everyone loves an upset
3)  UK has history of MU beating them.

If CSU wins on Thursday, that would be huge for us.  Otherwise, road game 100%.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
I agree that Murray State may be a 5/6 seed.  However, the one thing which is going to be BRUTAL is that we are going to be playing a road game atmosphere on Saturday if we and Murray State win.

Kentucky will be playing in the other game Saturday, and undoubtedly all of their fans will be rooting for the Racers...
1)  Same-state team
2)  Everyone loves an upset
3)  UK has history of MU beating them.

If CSU wins on Thursday, that would be huge for us.  Otherwise, road game 100%.

Great point.  Every Marquette fan needs to be a Colorado State fan on Thursday.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »
I'll guarantee it. although, keep in mind i have no credibility or accountability.

Congratulations, you have achieved Nirvana.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »
Wilner says MSU is a "loser" for their possible draws.

Missouri also a "loser" for non challenging OOC.

http://www.mercurynews.com/cal-bears/ci_20151987/jon-wilner-quick-look-at-ncaa-tournament-winners
SS Marquette

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
i think iona and byu are togh possible teams for 14 seeds but i really think murray state is a favorable 6 seed

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
I thought Iona was and then I saw their S.O.S and quality wins and I calmed down a bit. We can't sleep on anyone. Look what happened to Gtown 2 years ago.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
I thought Iona was and then I saw their S.O.S and quality wins and I calmed down a bit. We can't sleep on anyone. Look what happened to Gtown 2 years ago.
Hell, look what happened to Syracuse last year...
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
i think iona and byu are togh possible teams for 14 seeds but i really think murray state is a favorable 6 seed

ok perspective time. We play syracuse, georgetown, notre dame, louisville, etc, etc, game in and game out and end up 14 and 4 and you are worried about byu and iona?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:42:08 PM by hairyworthen »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »
I worry about everyone. We could be playing a 3rd-grade CYO team and I'd find something to worry about.

I'm not usually a bracket whiner, but upon seeing the potential matchups I couldn't help but be a little disappointed that the No. 3 seed in the region might have to play what amounts to a road game in the second round against a team that has been ranked high almost all season. Like life itself, doesn't seem fair.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

squirrel

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

According to the 1-68, BYU and Iona should have been a 12 and a 13, but because of BYU's no-Sunday rule, they were bumped to 14's to make it fit  >:(

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
We got a fabulous draw.  Not sure why anyone is concerned.  Iona arguably shouldn't be in the tournament.  BYU doesn't have the athletes to stick with us.  We will win that game, whomever is the opponent.  CSU could very well beat Murray State.  Either way, Sweet 16 looks promising.  Nice draw.  I hate the Missouri matchup late, but the first two games are a good draw for us.  Worry about Missouri next week.

Wisconsin has a really tough game in their second round with Vanderbilt.  I see Bucky going down before us.   ;D
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
We got a fabulous draw.  Not sure why anyone is concerned.  Iona arguably shouldn't be in the tournament.  BYU doesn't have the athletes to stick with us.  We will win that game, whomever is the opponent.  CSU could very well beat Murray State.  Either way, Sweet 16 looks promising.  Nice draw.  I hate the Missouri matchup late, but the first two games are a good draw for us.  Worry about Missouri next week.

Wisconsin has a really tough game in their second round with Vanderbilt.  I see Bucky going down before us.   ;D

Funny, I recall the same thing being said about VCU last year.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »
Funny, I recall the same thing being said about VCU last year.

Yes, by the great Jay Bilas even.  Anything can happen, but it would be a monster upset for MU to lose.  Probably the biggest MU tournament loss since 1978 to Miami (OH), a loss that I still contend did more damage than any singular loss because it was Hank's first dance and it put a perception out there that he wasn't Al and the dominance wasn't going to continue.

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
Yes, by the great Jay Bilas even.  Anything can happen, but it would be a monster upset for MU to lose.  Probably the biggest MU tournament loss since 1978 to Miami (OH), a loss that I still contend did more damage than any singular loss because it was Hank's first dance and it put a perception out there that he wasn't Al and the dominance wasn't going to continue.

I couldn't agree more with your recollection, bro.

“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
VCU shouldn't have been in the tournament last year.  Their resume wasn't good enough and Jay Bilas was right.  They made a run that should have never been possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
Not sure why anyone is concerned.  Iona arguably shouldn't be in the tournament.

It certainly may be true that Iona almost didn't make the tournament, but from what I've read they are a team like UConn--lots of talent and promise, but scuffled a bit throughout the season.  They reportedly have three guys with NBA potential (Machado, Jones, Glover), and score in bunches (number one scoring team in the country).  A team like that makes me a little bit nervous, especially with a warm-up game ahead of time, which also deprives us the ability to prepare for one team the whole week.

BYU, I'm much less worried about.  But Iona sounds like a team you don't want to catch when they are on a good day.

Of course, it sounds like they don't play a ton of defense, and have minimal size, so DG may be able to have a field day inside with them.  But, I worry about getting caught in another up-tempo, hectic game like we did against Louisville (another team who scuffled through most of the season until the Big East championship).

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »
It certainly may be true that Iona almost didn't make the tournament, but from what I've read they are a team like UConn--lots of talent and promise, but scuffled a bit throughout the season.  They reportedly have three guys with NBA potential (Machado, Jones, Glover), and score in bunches (number one scoring team in the country).  A team like that makes me a little bit nervous, especially with a warm-up game ahead of time, which also deprives us the ability to prepare for one team the whole week.

BYU, I'm much less worried about.  But Iona sounds like a team you don't want to catch when they are on a good day.

Of course, it sounds like they don't play a ton of defense, and have minimal size, so DG may be able to have a field day inside with them.  But, I worry about getting caught in another up-tempo, hectic game like we did against Louisville (another team who scuffled through most of the season until the Big East championship).

According to Pomeroy, Iona is a bit better than us on offense (16 to our 22) but FAR worse on defense. They are ranked 188th in defense while we come in at 19. If you don't play defense against us you can't beat us. All the teams that have given us trouble or beaten us are good/great defensive teams, minus Notre Dame.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 05:55:39 AM »
VCU shouldn't have been in the tournament last year.  Their resume wasn't good enough and Jay Bilas was right.  They made a run that should have never been possible.

+100

What you do in March does not justify your at-large selection to the field. It's what you do from November-February that does that. Last year VCU didn't do enough. Though I'm less upset with the Iona pick. Honestly, BYU doesn't deserve to be in either. But at least if they're going to put two undeserving teams in, we get to play one of them. I don't see a VCU happening from the 14-seed this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback