'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Favorite thing from attending the Rutgers game... Buzz  (Read 4785 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Favorite thing from attending the Rutgers game... Buzz
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Did anyone else notice last night when Buzz was trying to put that cushion back on the scorers table after a Rutgers player fell back into it? It took him longer than I am sure he was expecting it to (10-15 seconds) before he got it back in place. I was watching this, as were others who, as he stood up, applauded Buzz's efforts to correct the situation... must be the perfectionist in him.

Like his coaching... Love the person.

Other Buss things from last night chasing down the basketball as play was dead and the ball was rolling toward mid-court... end of the game, resting against the scorers table as Juan was taking his free throws, everytime he made his shot Buzz would raise his hands above his head to clap.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Bocephys

• All American
Re: Favorite thing from attending the Rutgers game... Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
I loved when Crowder took a charge in front of our bench and, while he was lying on floor just past the baseline, Buzz ran over and played his head like a drum for a few seconds out of excitement.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
unfortunately, I missed that (looked away after the call the fist pump a bit) and was bummed.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
I loved when Crowder took a charge in front of our bench and, while he was lying on floor just past the baseline, Buzz ran over and played his head like a drum for a few seconds out of excitement.

That was a bad call BTW...Jae was clearly still moving.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Swatted the official on the arse pretty hard one time too as he ran by.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
The bongos on Jae's head was priceless. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
He also gave Juan a pat on the back during the game after he stole a ball on the sidelines. 

Rankings:
1) Using Crowder as a drum.
2) Fixing the scorers table.
3) Chasing the ball to half court.
4) Juan pat on the back.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »

The call could have gone either way.  But there was some aggression on the ball handler's part, so Jae wouldn't necessarily had to have been stationary to draw an offensive foul.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
I'd add helping Juan back up after one of his steals.  That was awesome (and possibly a technical - don't know the rules about that).
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
I forgot after which play...maybe the Jae bongo play...but he did a half "Walk It Out Fosse", half jig down the sideline for a bit toward the endline, and then caught himself. 

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
I'd add helping Juan back up after one of his steals.  That was awesome (and possibly a technical - don't know the rules about that).

YES... i forgot about this. Made the same comment. Is helping a player up during the course of play illegal like in baseball how the base coaches cant hold their runners up or keep them from rounding third.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »

Charging can be called, correctly, even when the defender is moving. nothing in the rules says a player must be frozen in order to draw a charge. It's more about who's creating the contact.

Section 12. Charging
Art. 1. Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an
opponent’s torso.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR13.pdf

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
I am fully aware of what the rule is.  IMO, Jae was not in a legal guarding position.  A legal guarding position is where the defender's torso must be facing the offensive player (which it was), and his two feet on the court in bounds (and this is where I think Jae was at fault...I think his feet were still moving.)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
I am fully aware of what the rule is.  IMO, Jae was not in a legal guarding position.  A legal guarding position is where the defender's torso must be facing the offensive player (which it was), and his two feet on the court in bounds (and this is where I think Jae was at fault...I think his feet were still moving.)

Huh? Are you suggesting Jae jumped into his guarding position?
Again ... a player can legally draw a charge even if his feet are moving.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Huh? Are you suggesting Jae jumped into his guarding position?
Again ... a player can legally draw a charge even if his feet are moving.

No he can't...unless the Rutgers leads with his arm or shoulder.  If the guy is making a straight line dribble, Jae needs to have both feet on the ground to be in legal guarding position. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
I thought the Rutgers player extended his arm, Jae fell (sold it) and got the call. That's how I thought it went down.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
I thought the Rutgers player extended his arm, Jae fell (sold it) and got the call. That's how I thought it went down.

If that's the case then it certainly could be correctly called offensive.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Is it just me, or does it seem that upon the slightest contact with a ball handler, Jae can instantaneously reverse his own momentum and throw his body to the floor as though he just got blindsided by Ndamukong Suh?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
Is it just me, or does it seem that upon the slightest contact with a ball handler, Jae can instantaneously reverse his own momentum and throw his body to the floor as though he just got blindsided by Ndamukong Suh?

No one did that better than Dominic James.  He acted like he got shot when pestering an opposing point guard just over half court.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
No one did that better than Dominic James.  He acted like he got shot when pestering an opposing point guard just over half court.

But he and Jerel quite often were the ones initiating contact.  Jae seems to take what would otherwise be a no call for incidental contact initiated by the offense and turns it into a whistle and a back-of-the-head scratch.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
No he can't...unless the Rutgers leads with his arm or shoulder.  If the guy is making a straight line dribble, Jae needs to have both feet on the ground to be in legal guarding position. 

Point out in the rulebook where it says that (and, if you're going to quote the section I think you are, quote the whole thing).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Point out in the rulebook where it says that (and, if you're going to quote the section I think you are, quote the whole thing).

Here is the summary.

http://www.rockmnation.com/2012/2/19/2810052/inside-the-ncaa-basketball-rule-book-what-is-a-block-what-is-a-charge

Since Jae wasn't moving laterally, that section isn't relevant.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
Here is the summary.

http://www.rockmnation.com/2012/2/19/2810052/inside-the-ncaa-basketball-rule-book-what-is-a-block-what-is-a-charge

Since Jae wasn't moving laterally, that section isn't relevant.

Your link contradicts what you're saying.
While you state it was a foul "because Jae needs to have both feet on the ground" your link states "f. Is not required to have the feet on the playing court when shifting in the path of the dribbler or when moving laterally or obliquely."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
Your link contradicts what you're saying.
While you state it was a foul "because Jae needs to have both feet on the ground" your link states "f. Is not required to have the feet on the playing court when shifting in the path of the dribbler or when moving laterally or obliquely."

I meant in Jae's case he didn't have his feet down Mr. Pedant.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »

I meant in Jae's case he didn't have his feet down Mr. Pedant.

Thank you.
But you're still wrong. A defender's feet don't have to be rooted on the floor to draw an offensive foul.
That is all.