'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will 540 AM Milwaukee get their act together this year?  (Read 4774 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Will 540 AM Milwaukee get their act together this year?
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
I know its a bit early, but with most games in November not on TV at least here in New Jersey I'll be listening in on 540. Last year it wasn't until nearly half way into the first game that they cut from their national feed to the game. Quite frustrating to say the least. Is there any way to let them know ahead of time not to repeat the fiasco from last year.

chapman

• All American
Re: Will 540 AM Milwaukee get their act together this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
Ha!  No chance.  Maybe calling them an hour ahead of time and every 15 minutes after that each and every game will get the feed switched over by the start most of the time.  Otherwise the over/under is probably 5 for number of times they don't change the feed.  Will also be at least 3 games with technical difficulties that make it painful or impossible to listen.  At least most games are on ESPN3.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
I'm at the games, so I can't say what is going on. Your on espnmilwaukee.com and your not getting the game?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »
It would be nice if 540 could improve their signal to reach Kenosha County.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »

When I'm driving to work in Milwaukee, if I want to listen to Mike & Mike, I'm usually better off listening to WMVP out of Chicago than I am 540. Their signal strength sucks. Really too bad when a "Milwaukee" station can't put as good a signal into Milwaukee as a Chicago one can.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
Get a Dish and the multi-sport pack and watch 99% of the games.  Whatever is not on ESPN, ESPN2, or CBS can be found on SNY or MASN.    

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:08 PM »
540 has made a business decision that they are better off broadcasting ESPN's national content, even during a basketball game. So until they get complaints, during a game, that they are not broadcasting Marquette's games they will not switch over.

Such is life.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
540 has made a business decision that they are better off broadcasting ESPN's national content, even during a basketball game. So until they get complaints, during a game, that they are not broadcasting Marquette's games they will not switch over.

Such is life.

I highly doubt ESPNMilwaukee.com's main page says "Now on air - Marquette basketball" with a big MU logo if they did not intend to broadcast the MU basketball feed over the feed talking about high school basketball or NBA gossip.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »

540 comes in just fine for me in Lake County.  You're not trying to listen from a bomb shelter are you?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

Fact I cant get it in Midtown Kenosha once it gets dark.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
540 comes in just fine for me in Lake County.  You're not trying to listen from a bomb shelter are you?

That is pretty impressive since I can barely get it when driving through downtown Milwaukee at times.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
That is pretty impressive since I can barely get it when driving through downtown Milwaukee at times.

AM signals don't like larger buildings hence you get a weak signal.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
I can get 540 better than 620 near the Illinois/Wisconsin border.  It is a great signal south.  A big upgrade over WISN. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
AM signals don't like larger buildings hence you get a weak signal.
Yep.  As I leave downtown after a game, my reception gets much better.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Yep.  As I leave downtown after a game, my reception gets much better.

The way to combat this is download the app "Tune In" - it allows you stream any radio station's internet feed to your phone. Then just plug it into your car radio. I use it all the time to listen to local stuff when traveling outside area.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
I highly doubt ESPNMilwaukee.com's main page says "Now on air - Marquette basketball" with a big MU logo if they did not intend to broadcast the MU basketball feed over the feed talking about high school basketball or NBA gossip.

That is why I posted my question. Last year you clicked on "Now on air - Marquette basketball" and all you got was the national feed.... no game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
The way to combat this is download the app "Tune In" - it allows you stream any radio station's internet feed to your phone. Then just plug it into your car radio. I use it all the time to listen to local stuff when traveling outside area.

Not sure if this will work for game streams. I had numerous different apps I tried and every one switched over to a national broadcast at game time. The only app I found that allowed me to listen to the 540 Marquette broadcast was the actual ESPN Radio app.

Again, maybe that one is different, but I tried at least 5-6 others without success.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
Not sure if this will work for game streams. I had numerous different apps I tried and every one switched over to a national broadcast at game time. The only app I found that allowed me to listen to the 540 Marquette broadcast was the actual ESPN Radio app.

Again, maybe that one is different, but I tried at least 5-6 others without success.

You are different. I listen to the end of some of the early non con games when I leave with like 4 min to go as I am walking to my car. If it is streaming on stations website, it will stream on the phone. It streams whatever that station is.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »

TuneIn worked for me last year when I had to be in Indiana during the Louisville game.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Even if they have the national feed on air.  How hard would it be to link the Marquette Feed to MArquette Icon on their Web Page.  Does not seem like either or to me.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Did a little testing today of 540. Signal was fuzzy from STH 50 to STH 20. North of STH 20 was pretty clear and south of STH 50 was unbearable static.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
Did a little testing today of 540. Signal was fuzzy from STH 50 to STH 20. North of STH 20 was pretty clear and south of STH 50 was unbearable static.

Granted... I probably should have said I haven't tuned into 540 since last season, but I'll turn it on this evening during the drive home to see what I can get.  And I should clarify that 540 isn't static-free, but you can listen to it during a game and know exactly what is going on (to the extent Homer does, any way).

That said, I've noticed over the years that there is a "dead zone" that kills both the 540 and 620 signals near the Cheese Castle on I-94.  Not sure if this has anything to do with the lack of signal in Kenosha.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
There's a dead zone going west from downtown out State or Vliet St. west of about Hwy 41 out to about 76th (around the Hart Park/Wick Field zone).  I think there's too much power line interference there.  Drives me nuts every night.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Granted... I probably should have said I haven't tuned into 540 since last season, but I'll turn it on this evening during the drive home to see what I can get.  And I should clarify that 540 isn't static-free, but you can listen to it during a game and know exactly what is going on (to the extent Homer does, any way).That said, I've noticed over the years that there is a "dead zone" that kills both the 540 and 620 signals near the Cheese Castle on I-94.  Not sure if this has anything to do with the lack of signal in Kenosha.

Classic! +100

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
Granted... I probably should have said I haven't tuned into 540 since last season, but I'll turn it on this evening during the drive home to see what I can get.  And I should clarify that 540 isn't static-free, but you can listen to it during a game and know exactly what is going on (to the extent Homer does, any way).

That said, I've noticed over the years that there is a "dead zone" that kills both the 540 and 620 signals near the Cheese Castle on I-94.  Not sure if this has anything to do with the lack of signal in Kenosha.

Weird, I'm almost in Wilmot and 540 is coming in at a tolerable rate.

feedback