Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question on Henry's announcement  (Read 97921 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Question on Henry's announcement
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »
Not saying this will happen with Henry but I remember a few years back Marcus Smart from OK St was supposed to be a top 3 pick in the very weak 2013 draft, but decided to return for his sophomore year. I remember I was shocked when that happened, and he entered the 2014 draft after his sophomore year in what was supposed to be a much stronger draft and he went in the 5-10 range I believe. I have a gut feeling Henry comes back for his sophomore year, not sure why.

What about Kaminsky?  Did his draft position improve or decline because he came back his senior year?

I guess Henry's decision will also be a lot like Kaminsky.  His family, like Kaminsky, is not desperate for money.  If, like Kaminsky, he really enjoys playing college ball, especially with his brother, he might return.

So, how much fun did Henry have this year?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:50 AM »
Seen him around with a backpack each of the last 2 days, hope thats a good sign

Backpack is the new walking boot on Scoop?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
Backpack is the new walking boot on Scoop?

Guys WITHOUT backpacks walking around must be declaring for the draft.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:01 AM »

That is where he carries all his cash....must be declaring

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
HE keeps his walking boot in his backpack.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »
Marcus Smart is probably the best example of someone staying who was a top 3 pick. That's what all the optimists should be hoping for.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »
Marcus Smart is probably the best example of someone staying who was a top 3 pick. That's what all the optimists should be hoping for.

Griffin and Barnes
Maigh Eo for Sam

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed, but given Henry comes from a stable home with presumptively stable finances, might some additional motivation to stay be that he'll have two years of college under his belt when he bolts for the draft. Thus, he'll be half way home to a degree should he ever want to graduate in the future. Two more years of school is a heck of lot less daunting than three more years.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »
What about Kaminsky?  Did his draft position improve or decline because he came back his senior year?

I guess Henry's decision will also be a lot like Kaminsky.  His family, like Kaminsky, is not desperate for money.  If, like Kaminsky, he really enjoys playing college ball, especially with his brother, he might return.

So, how much fun did Henry have this year?

Kaminsky is a terrible comparison, he played all 4 years.

What Zeller did is what gives me a sliver of hope that Henry will come back, predicted to be a top 10 pick in 2012, came back for Sophmore year, and went #4.

Reason he gave was that he was enjoying his college experience.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
In Chad Ford's first report of who's in/who's out of this year's draft, based on discussions with GM's, scouts, and people close to the players, he lists Henry on his "One foot out the door list" - people leaning toward the draft but not announced.  The list also includes Jaylen Brown, Brandon Ingram, Kris Dunn and of course, Ben Simmons.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Kaminsky is a terrible comparison, he played all 4 years.

What Zeller did is what gives me a sliver of hope that Henry will come back, predicted to be a top 10 pick in 2012, came back for Sophmore year, and went #4.

Reason he gave was that he was enjoying his college experience.

It does happen every once in a while. It also hasnt happened in a few years so college basketball is due for a lottery pick to come back to school for a year  ;D

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
It also looks like the rookie pay scale is not attached to the salary cap.  So with salaries going up 20% next year the only thing that matters is getting to UFA's.  Henry IMO will be a 10-15 pick but by time he gets to FA the AVG NBA player salary is going to be 10 MIL where now its 5 mil.  IE rookie contracts were picked with the idea the Rev would go up 5% a year and not 25%.  So Rookie salaries are going to look real Cheap compared to even bench players soon. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed, but given Henry comes from a stable home with presumptively stable finances, might some additional motivation to stay be that he'll have two years of college under his belt when he bolts for the draft. Thus, he'll be half way home to a degree should he ever want to graduate in the future. Two more years of school is a heck of lot less daunting than three more years.

How close he is to a degree is probably 0.00% of his decision.

It also looks like the rookie pay scale is not attached to the salary cap.  So with salaries going up 20% next year the only thing that matters is getting to UFA's.  Henry IMO will be a 10-15 pick but by time he gets to FA the AVG NBA player salary is going to be 10 MIL where now its 5 mil.  IE rookie contracts were picked with the idea the Rev would go up 5% a year and not 25%.  So Rookie salaries are going to look real Cheap compared to even bench players soon. 

Yup (re: the money).  He gowne.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
That pic of him as SOTG...I always think he's saying, "Sayonara" and salutes MU off.
SS Marquette

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »
How close he is to a degree is probably 0.00% of his decision.

Yup (re: the money).  He gowne.

I'm hearing it's 90%+ that he's gone....but what if he pulls a shocker and returns? What's your reaction going to be after this act you've been pulling all year?

I think you're right, but if he shocks us you're going to have a ton of backtracking to do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »
I'm hearing it's 90%+ that he's gone....but what if he pulls a shocker and returns? What's your reaction going to be after this act you've been pulling all year?

I think you're right, but if he shocks us you're going to have a ton of backtracking to do.

He gowne.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
He gowne.

I share your confidence that he is leaving but I'm just curious from where your confidence stems. Any inside knowledge or are you just aware of the fact that he's a likely top 10er and as such will almost certainly leave?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
He's a lottery pick. Not turning that down for the privilege of playing for room, board, and tuition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
I share your confidence that he is leaving but I'm just curious from where your confidence stems. Any inside knowledge or are you just aware of the fact that he's a likely top 10er and as such will almost certainly leave?

Wades stakes out positions with certainty and never wavers. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
He's a lottery pick. Not turning that down for the privilege of playing for room, board, and tuition.

Yep. Nobody EVER has done that.

Except Blake Griffin. And Joakim Noah. And Marcus Smart. And Tim Duncan. And Shaquille O'Neal. And Harrison Barnes. And ...

Nobody!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Yep. Nobody EVER has done that.

Except Blake Griffin. And Joakim Noah. And Marcus Smart. And Tim Duncan. And Shaquille O'Neal. And Harrison Barnes. And ...

Nobody!
Some need to shield themselves from disappointment.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

The second one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »
Haha welcome to the internet, this guy is no more of an insider than anyone else pretending to be one on here. He's a graduate of Marquette who has never donated a dollar to MU/ has no connection to MU, aau or high school basketball in Wisconsin. He's just bullcraptin ya and everyone else on here but it's an Internet message board and he can do as he wants with no accountability. Henry told the coaching staff before he even committed that he was gone if he had the opportunity to be a lottery pick, that's where the confidence stems from. Things change so who knows, it's Henry's decision we just need to take a step back and let him make it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:28:09 PM by Smokin' Jae »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
Haha welcome to the internet, this guy is no more of an insider than anyone else pretending to be one on here. He's a graduate of Marquette who has never donated a dollar to MU/ has no connection to MU, aau or high school basketball in Wisconsin. He's just bullcraptin ya and everyone else on here but it's an Internet message board and he can do as he wants with no accountability. Henry told the coaching staff before he even committed that he was gone if he had the opportunity to be a lottery pick, that's where the confidence stems from. Things change so who knows, it's Henry's decision we just need to take a step back and let him make it.

He gowne.

Anyhow, your post is pretty contradictory. I'm a grad but don't have any connections to MU? Hmm. Interesting take on that.

Are you my financial advisor? Didn't realize you were interested in Marquette hoops Dan!

Don't really care what people think about my information so not going to bother addressing that. Just figured you might want to edit your post so it at least doesn't contradict itself.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:37:24 PM by HowardsWorld »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »

Nah, Wades does have some connection to the program. He's proved that before with information he's shared (first one to break the McKay story IIRC). But in this case, he likes stating his opinion/prediction/educated guess as a fact.

In all likelihood, HE is gonna be "gowne." But as of today, he has not made a decision, or at least shared a decision with anyone outside his immediate circle.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback