Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question on Henry's announcement  (Read 97925 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Question on Henry's announcement
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
When is it customary to announce your intentions to either stay in school or go to the draft? How often does it happen this week, during the tournament, after the tournament, etc.? Thanks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Question on Henry's announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
When is it customary to announce your intentions to either stay in school or go to the draft? How often does it happen this week, during the tournament, after the tournament, etc.? Thanks.

IIRC, most typically announce shortly after they are done playing. So an announcement could come soon. But that is not a rule by any stretch. Theres always several who wait until the last couple of days to announce.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
IIRC, most typically announce shortly after they are done playing. So an announcement could come soon. But that is not a rule by any stretch. Theres always several who wait until the last couple of days to announce.
FWIW it was announced that Ben Simmon's had hired Lebron's agent yesterday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
FWIW it was announced that Ben Simmon's had hired Lebron's agent yesterday.

Did they make the announcement into a TV show?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
He'll likely announce once he signs with an agent, otherwise it will likely come out that he signed with an agent.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
Well they now have until after the combine to decide.  I don't know why you would declare beforehand.  You get hurt in the combine, you can always go back to college and rehab (or rehab while being paid millions - if you're still that good to get drafted high). 

More here:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/13/nba-draft-early-entry-deadline-ncaa-extended-combine

But still why not wait. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »

Yeah but it got leaked on twitter so nobody watched
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »
Well they now have until after the combine to decide.  I don't know why you would declare beforehand.  You get hurt in the combine, you can always go back to college and rehab (or rehab while being paid millions - if you're still that good to get drafted high). 

More here:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/13/nba-draft-early-entry-deadline-ncaa-extended-combine

But still why not wait.

I'm guessing some of the guys who declare early haven't been going to class (paging Ben Simmons), so they wouldn't be eligible to return anyway. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
I'm guessing some of the guys who declare early haven't been going to class (paging Ben Simmons), so they wouldn't be eligible to return anyway.

That's a good question: Is Ellenson still attending classes?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
I'm not sure why Henry has to announce he's coming back next season to lead us to the Final Four!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »

In Simmons case, it doesn't matter if he was attending classes or not.  He is going to be gone very early.  Might as well hire an agent to get working on non-basketball deals (shoes, etc.) and to have them front the costs of getting access to the best pre-draft training possible.

If Henry wants to wait to determine his status after the combine that's fine.  But that does come at a cost.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Re: Simmons

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14906627/ben-simmons-lsu-tigers-ineligible-wooden-award

"Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and aspirations. All candidates must have a cumulative 2.00 grade point average since enrolling in their current university."

Which may be why LSU wouldn't certify him to be eligible for the Woodie.

-----

And yes, that makes sense to start working out with pre-combine/draft trainers.  So, plenty of reason to declare early still.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:37:34 PM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:17:09 PM »
I doubt Simmons really needs to shore up his draft stock via trainers etc. all that much. I have not seen any predictions slotting him lower than #2.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »

In Simmons case, it doesn't matter if he was attending classes or not.  He is going to be gone very early.  Might as well hire an agent to get working on non-basketball deals (shoes, etc.) and to have them front the costs of getting access to the best pre-draft training possible.

If Henry wants to wait to determine his status after the combine that's fine.  But that does come at a cost.

I'm not sure I've seen a mock draft in at least 6 months that has projected Henry as anything but a lottery pick. The exact selection number has varied, but 4-10 seems most common.

Players who expect to be drafted up there rarely take part in the combine, and their agents (or "advisers") usually advise against it. Why risk a poor showing that can drop a guy 3-5 spots when the player is seemingly locked in as a top 10?

So if that really is the case -- and Henry's "advisers" should be able to determine it to some degree of certainty by making  some inquiries -- Henry need not wait until the combine to decide if he is going or staying.

And if he need not wait to decide, he need not wait to announce.

I won't "hold it against him" if he waits -- and I'm sure he's concerned about what I think! -- because it is his prerogative. But if he really cares about Wojo and the program, he will not delay his announcement significantly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen a mock draft in at least 6 months that has projected Henry as anything but a lottery pick. The exact selection number has varied, but 4-10 seems most common.

Players who expect to be drafted up there rarely take part in the combine, and their agents (or "advisers") usually advise against it. Why risk a poor showing that can drop a guy 3-5 spots when the player is seemingly locked in as a top 10?

So if that really is the case -- and Henry's "advisers" should be able to determine it to some degree of certainty by making  some inquiries -- Henry need not wait until the combine to decide if he is going or staying.

I won't "hold it against him" if he waits -- and I'm sure he's concerned about what I think! -- because it is his prerogative. But if he really cares about Wojo and the program, he will not delay his announcement significantly.

I think Wojo will know (see: already knows) well before any announcement comes public.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

Depends on which mock...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft #17

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/11/nba...brandon-ingram #15

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/ #8

http://hoopshype.com/2016/02/27/nba-mock-draft-2016/ #18

So, while obviously these things can change based on workouts etc, if you are to believe any of these mocks, 3 of the 4 actually have him outside the lottery.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
thinking wojo knows exactly how to handle this type of situation...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »

Depends on which mock...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft #17

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/11/nba...brandon-ingram #15

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/ #8

http://hoopshype.com/2016/02/27/nba-mock-draft-2016/ #18

So, while obviously these things can change based on workouts etc, if you are to believe any of these mocks, 3 of the 4 actually have him outside the lottery.

Thanks. I hadn't seen those.

I still think Henry's "people" probably will feel he need not participate in all of the physical "measurable" activities.

Those are more for second-rounders trying to get into the first, for lesser prospects trying to get drafted, etc. They are for the Jerel McNeals and the Dee Browns, and the rule allowing them to wait until after the combine before declaring is a very positive step for athletes.

And I agree with others who say Wojo will know how to handle this. He was the top assistant in a program that had 1-and-dones almost every year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
The earliest I saw an underclassman last year declaring was March 30 for Myles Turner of Texas. My guess is Henry will at least give it a week until after the first weekend of the tournament is done. Though as mentioned, until he signs with an agent, he is eligible to return. The cutoff this year isn't until June 13 to come back to school.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 04:11:45 PM »
One of the reasons I've heard (and it sounds like a good one) that Henry would leave now...is that the draft is relatively weak this year and he would go higher and have more upfront value.

So is 2017 draft better vs 2016? I googled one page that thinks 2017 has a lot of talent. mock drafts have a bunch of now HS seniors and some foreign guys...

So does it make it even more wise for Henry to get out now and get more early money.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
One of the reasons I've heard (and it sounds like a good one) that Henry would leave now...is that the draft is relatively weak this year and he would go higher and have more upfront value.

So is 2017 draft better vs 2016? I googled one page that thinks 2017 has a lot of talent. mock drafts have a bunch of now HS seniors and some foreign guys...

So does it make it even more wise for Henry to get out now and get more early money.

I don't follow the mock drafts or the year-to-year comparisons, but that seems to be the feeling.

MUVander

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:39 PM »
Not saying this will happen with Henry but I remember a few years back Marcus Smart from OK St was supposed to be a top 3 pick in the very weak 2013 draft, but decided to return for his sophomore year. I remember I was shocked when that happened, and he entered the 2014 draft after his sophomore year in what was supposed to be a much stronger draft and he went in the 5-10 range I believe. I have a gut feeling Henry comes back for his sophomore year, not sure why.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »
That's a good question: Is Ellenson still attending classes?
Seen him around with a backpack each of the last 2 days, hope thats a good sign

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
If Henry is going, he should get out of Milwaukee and start working with a trainer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »

The 30 for 30 debuts thus sunday.

feedback