Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charles Matthews trims list to 10  (Read 96004 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews trims list to 10
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
If Matthews commits tomorrow, this winter goes from a major disappointment to a huge success.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
And this from a UK guru.....

Jeff Drummond ‏@JDrumUK  1m
At one point would have thought Charles Matthews was a strong bet for UK, but not feeling that way after talking to a few people tonight.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
And this from a UK guru.....

Jeff Drummond ‏@JDrumUK  1m
At one point would have thought Charles Matthews was a strong bet for UK, but not feeling that way after talking to a few people tonight.

So according to Twitter, the chatter is simultaneously that Kentucky is in a strong and weak position.  Have to love recruiting analysts...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

nyg

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
OK in 2015,  Duane Wilson, Nick N., JJJ, Ahmed Hill, Cohen and if this happens, Matthews.  Matthews is currently the #11 player in class of 2015 per Rivals.  Five star recruits like that don't sit on the bench.  Hope it happens, but Oh Boy.........

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
Great point but also isn't 5 kind of the norm? Unless they go really late and trim to 2 or 3. I think having a 5 teams list is just common.

Sure, but you can still look at it the same way, maybe even more so. If you are gonna keep,5 on your list, who are you more likely to keep, Kentucky, Kansas, and MSU, or Stanford, Wosconsin and SMU (along with Illinois and Marquette)? Again not predicting anything, just a wishful observation.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Whoa. I don't follow recruiting religiously, but I thought we were basically an afterthought with this kid for a while. I don't know what has changed (if anything) but it would be great to see him in blue and gold, particularly when you see the rest of that top five.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
So according to Twitter, the chatter is simultaneously that Kentucky is in a strong and weak position.  Have to love recruiting analysts...

C'mon man, rationalize it the right way...one tweet said most likely MU or UK. Another said UK not a strong bet. Soooooooo...that only leaves one option.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
247 doesn't have much to say about Matthews and MU...

http://247sports.com/Player/Charles-Matthews-23599

But you never know. Here's a fun scenario... would you guys rather 247 be wrong, and we get matthews but miss on stone? or right and we get stone but miss matthews?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Here's a fun scenario... would you guys rather 247 be wrong, and we get matthews but miss on stone? or right and we get stone but miss matthews?

Yes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
Stone.   Not even close for me. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

But you never know. Here's a fun scenario... would you guys rather 247 be wrong, and we get matthews but miss on stone? or right and we get stone but miss matthews?

Right on stone and wrong on Matthews. Too much to ask?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »

Greedy get both  ;D
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
 this is my reaction to this news.  

Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
Charles Matthews trimmed list to 5 today.
The five accrordkng to his twitter:
  Illinois
  Kentucky
  Kansas
  Michagin St
  Marquette

Getting on the list shows that we are getting closer to recruiting all Americans. Him and Stone would make the perfect class.

We've been this close the last 15 years....just can never seem to land them.  Looking at that list, I guess I would be quite surprised if we do, but here's hoping.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »
If Matthews commits tomorrow, this winter goes from a major disappointment to a huge success.

Eh

I like getting recruits that are good like anyone else, but when you consider the top 100 guys we've had over the years that didn't pan out, I'd prefer we just get into the tournament this year.  Doesn't make up for it at all...next year is next year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
Eh

I like getting recruits that are good like anyone else, but when you consider the top 100 guys we've had over the years that didn't pan out, I'd prefer we just get into the tournament this year.  Doesn't make up for it at all...next year is next year.

I'm not getting my hopes up about landing him but come on you can't honestly be sitting there thinking it's no big deal when we land the highest recruit we've had in at least since pre crean probably wayyy before.  And I believe cracked sidewalks or painttouches did a segment about the likelihood of top 100 recruits panning out.  It basically said that it's tremendously increased in the top 50 then even moreso in the top 25 or 30.  I think it's fair to get excited about a player who could crack the top 10. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
and be our first Mcdonalds all american since Trotter.......

I'm not getting my hopes up about landing him but come on you can't honestly be sitting there thinking it's no big deal when we land the highest recruit we've had in at least since pre crean probably wayyy before.  And I believe cracked sidewalks or painttouches did a segment about the likelihood of top 100 recruits panning out.  It basically said that it's tremendously increased in the top 50 then even moreso in the top 25 or 30.  I think it's fair to get excited about a player who could crack the top 10. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »

I don't believe that's what I said.  I was countering that it makes this year successful.  This year's success is on the basketball court this year, not on the recruits that commit to us this year, they will play for us down the road.

Sure, I would be pleased, no doubt.  I just don't think it trumps this year IMO.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
Greedy get both  ;D

Well said...and if we land Matthews...absolutely what has been a tougher year than any in 8 years at MU...well, that tough year would just be an afterthought...landing a Top 10-15 kid...can be the 1st domino to fall toward making MU among the elite again...add Stone too...and we are back to the 1970s!

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »

Depends on if they announce Stone or Matthews first.

KaKawwImAnEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
Then there is this from a CSN writer and NY2LA employee......

Scott Phillips ‏@phillipshoops  1m
Early chatter in last 15 minutes for Charles Matthews places best chances with Kentucky and Marquette.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 10:06:12 PM »

Lol, had Terry in a speech class..

Why did Rick kick him out?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 10:07:26 PM »
Here is a question that tell us a little bit about him, was he at the DePaul game on Saturday, does anyone know?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
I don't believe that's what I said.  I was countering that it makes this year successful.  This year's success is on the basketball court this year, not on the recruits that commit to us this year, they will play for us down the road.

Sure, I would be pleased, no doubt.  I just don't think it trumps this year IMO.

saying "eh" is pretty much what people say when they don't think it's a big deal.  But have it your way.  Personally I think the basketball season is all basketball related activities including recruiting so while I wouldnt say the year was a success I would say it's offset a bit. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
saying "eh" is pretty much what people say when they don't think it's a big deal.  But have it your way.  Personally I think the basketball season is all basketball related activities including recruiting so while I wouldnt say the year was a success I would say it's offset a bit. 

Let's just say it almost definitely will include someone leaving as a result, too.  That's unfortunate, but that's usually how it works.  At my age, its tough to get excited about tomorrow, let alone a kid that will be a freshman not this year, not next year, but the year after.  I'll get excited then, but I certainly get your point.  If others want to get excited, by all means.  I've learned enough over the years that between now and the day the kid steps on campus (if he does), a lot of things will happen to be excited about and to be bummed out about.