[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee  (Read 42564 times)

muarmy81

• All American
OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
Since I really didn't have a "favorite" pizza spot while at Marquette I figured I'd talk about my favorite places to drink while at Marquette. (1998-2002)
I enjoyed going to Rascal's on Wednesday Nights for the "bottomless pints" from 9 pm to close: $10 got you the endless glass of great beer.
Thursday Nights were reserved for Rock-Bottom Brewery for their free pool/buffalo wings and endless rock bottom brewery beers all for $10.
Friday and Saturday were spent at Cafferys for $5 pitchers of Miller

🏀

• All American
Re: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:38:16 AM »
Jim Hegarty's Pub

You can't beat it. Ever.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
I forgot to mention Wolski's and what was the name of that one place that had the "Brain Buster" drink?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:25 AM »
Bryants.

we were big fans on La Fuente before if got so big.

Used to be able to go there when we were underage and have a lot of fun for not a lot of money.

It's still fun there... but the prices are higher and it's ALWAYS busy.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
Jim Hegarty's Pub

You can't beat it. Ever.

AMEN.

Others:
-Wolski's is one of a kind, and great after a Lakefront Brewery tour. Real (non-electronic) dart boards!
-Bryant's. Brainbusters. Enough said.
-La Perla/Fuente. (Relatively) cheap food and potent margaritas (though La Fuente's are a bit better). A good way to kick off your night.
-Any place with a decent patio (Caffrey's, Bar Louie, The Harp, McGillycuddy's) is great during the summer.
-How about this one: the parking lot at Miller Park.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »

1.  The Avalanche
2.  The Gym Bar
3.  The National Liquor Bar
4.  Hegarty's
5.  The Mug Rack
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:26:16 AM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 11:31:17 AM »

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
How about Ricky's on State?

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:00:50 PM »
Murphy's before they classed up the joint, Brothers, Judges for college night on the East-side, Cans. And the best place to drink.....Class.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »
The 'lanche will always be #1.  A $20 purchase of a personalized mug meant 16 oz  taps for $.50, meaning $5.00 went a long way.  Lived less than a block away for 3 years.  I regret I never got my mug, wish I had that on a shelf somewhere.
 Other old favorites, probably #2 was Thoma's - lot of great memories followed by The Harp across the street especially with the 7am open.  Conways, the Glocc, Green Tree, Murph's, The Gym, OD's, Good Time Charlies and O'Pagets as a warm up and for a beer or more on walks to the games.  Good times good times

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »
Marquette Bars: Avalanche, Theo's, Hegarty's and the Harp and Shamrock as the sun rises.

Milwaukee Bars: Wolski's, Bryant's (a lounge actually, not a bar), Yield on the East Side is a good new place.
We Are Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
countless nights spent at Murphy's.

1)  1 block from the house I lived at
2)  air conditioning (something missing from the house I lived at)
3)  a serious dart addiction
4)  $2 or $2.50 mugs of delicious Miller Lite
5)  $5 tall captain & cokes, with the special buy one get 2 free deal I had earned.   8)

Lunch at Heg's with the drunk mailmen was always fun.  Great grilled ham & cheese.

Off campus:

Bret's/Fitzgibbons
The Harp
Bryants
BBC
Vitucci's
The Lodge for pizza & pitcher night.
the list goes on.....

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
I've heard great things about the 'lanche, I wish it had been there when I was there.  My younger brothers are/have attended marquette and the last time I was there i went drinking with them to some of the "new" places.  One of those was cans...wasn't too impressed.  Those that find the hole in the wall bars where you can have a great time for a little money were key for college kids.  Again, that's why I scheduled my drinking week around the specials at different bars around town.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
I've heard great things about the 'lanche, I wish it had been there when I was there.  My younger brothers are/have attended marquette and the last time I was there i went drinking with them to some of the "new" places.  One of those was cans...wasn't too impressed.  Those that find the hole in the wall bars where you can have a great time for a little money were key for college kids.  Again, that's why I scheduled my drinking week around the specials at different bars around town.

I loved the Avalanche superbar, but there is definately nostalgia at play for a lot of people. When I was at MU (93-97) there was a core group of people who went there regularly and that was about it. Now you hear people talk about all the times they had at the Lanche and I know they were never there because I was (probably unfortunately) in there a few times a week. I remember going in there one time in '96 with a bunch of guys a year ahead of me who were graduating and there were maybe 25 people in there. In '97 a lot of freshman and sophomores (read:underage) were going there, but at the end it was nowhere near as popular as people make it out to be. As for it closing, it was the same group of idiots starting fights every week that cause it to close. It wouldn't have closed for a couple of more years if it wasn't for the same group of jagoffs.
We Are Marquette

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
[size=10pt]Lanche[/size][/color][/size][/size][/size][/size]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:27:52 PM by 77fan88warrior »

ernie

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
The Midget Tavern. On Wells btw 23rd and 24th. Burned down (with the apartment building around it on X-Mas eve 94, I think.) Owned by Mike Dugan.

Harp and Shamrock on Wells btw 22nd and 21st.

The unquestioned champion of all time - The Lanche.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »
Murphy's will always be my number 1.  As seniors we were there 5 nights a week.  Especially loved 2.50 long islands on Thursdays and 1 dollar pitchers after home basketball games.  We would go around the student section getting tickets from freshmen so we could get dollar pitchers.  6 of us once took over the foosball table to hold our pitchers....I think we got something like 30 for 6 of us on a Wednesday night.

Rock Bottom was outstanding on Thursday nights as was Bryants if we had underage friends with us.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »
Lanche
Thoma's on 22 and Wells
Greentree on state

Off campus:

Bryant's
Wolski's

Ah it was nice when there were enough bars where every class and age had their own bar to enjoy. 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
Ihe Lanche may be something that gained mythical proportions for some, I do not know what the attendence was like during the mid-late 90's.  When I was in school the 'Lanche was packed every weekend and most nights.  Myself and my roomates drank every night.  My observation has been MU softened up quite a bit over the years, and maybe years later the the bums or the cheap REd, White and Blue was not appealing to the new core of students.  I do not know.  I will say that whether it was Murph's, the Gym, OD's, Toma's, Conways , Hegarty's and on and on they were all packed on the weekends and many nights.  Seeemed different crews hung at different bars.  Murph's was always an underclassmen bar. OD's seemed to be the small Greek contingent, Gym and Avalanche upperclassmen. Hegarty's alot of Shroeder people, The Green Tree underclassmen etc.   

tonyreeder

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »
Graduated in '89.   Lived at the Avalanche my last two years.   Ardmore was a fun place my freshman year.  Also Goodtime Charlie's and another bar over there that had 32 Oz for like $2.   Green Tree-raffled off bongs and a hookah.  Great drink specials.   My favorite bar in Milwaukee was Zur Kronz in Walker's Point.  -boots of beer,board games, and weird German music.   I enjoy Thurman's 15 now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »
all of this talk about bars makes me want to take a moment of silence in rememberance of Greenfield Liquors that sadly burned to the ground on Cinco de Mayo in 1999(?).  You allowed me to buy alcohol with a fake id of an large Hispanic male when I am white as can be.  You sold me and my friends large garbage bags of random beer that was stored in your basement.  You sold me and my buddy 9 kegs that he crammed into his Ford Probe.  I miss you Greenfield Liquors.   :-*   :-*   :-*

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »
all of this talk about bars makes me want to take a moment of silence in rememberance of Greenfield Liquors that sadly burned to the ground on Cinco de Mayo in 1999(?).  You allowed me to buy alcohol with a fake id of an large Hispanic male when I am white as can be.  You sold me and my friends large garbage bags of random beer that was stored in your basement.  You sold me and my buddy 9 kegs that he crammed into his Ford Probe.  I miss you Greenfield Liquors.   :-*   :-*   :-*

You just brought a tear to my eye.
We Are Marquette

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
Ihe Lanche may be something that gained mythical proportions for some, I do not know what the attendence was like during the mid-late 90's.  When I was in school the 'Lanche was packed every weekend and most nights.  Myself and my roomates drank every night.  My observation has been MU softened up quite a bit over the years, and maybe years later the the bums or the cheap REd, White and Blue was not appealing to the new core of students.  I do not know.  I will say that whether it was Murph's, the Gym, OD's, Toma's, Conways , Hegarty's and on and on they were all packed on the weekends and many nights.  Seeemed different crews hung at different bars.  Murph's was always an underclassmen bar. OD's seemed to be the small Greek contingent, Gym and Avalanche upperclassmen. Hegarty's alot of Shroeder people, The Green Tree underclassmen etc.   

This is pretty accurate.  Some time in the mid 1990's....Bars closed their doors or moved changing the dynamic dramatically.  I feel sorry in a way for kids who graduated after about the mid-1990's......

The Gym moved to where the Ardmore was, and is now again called something else.  Ardmore bar import Wednesdays....and happy hours for youngsters....Murphy's moved across the street and is still there with not 1 /100th of the same feel or character.  
The Lanche was hard core for Seniors and some Juniors....no underclassmen, but that changed as well.

Toma's, Grenn Tree, ....and many others shut down

Hegarty's was always that quiet little sparse law school grad school crowd.  

Times were good when there were 12 plus bars to attend near campus.  Many different types of bars and crowds.  So many options.  

But kids are resourceful and Iam sure find other options since those times.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:01:06 PM by BigSky »

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
I'm a member of the recent grad / not a lot of options crowd (grad '06).  I always had the best time at Caff's on Monday nights for progressives.  I'm not really a huge partier so we would get there right at 9:00, pay our $.50 / beer and have a few before it got too busy. 

Now that I've moved over to Sennsenbrenner Hall Hegartys is definitely the way to go (at 4:00 in the afternoon after class).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 07:20:13 PM »
I never warmed to the 'Lanche.   My freshman year, it was mostly O'Paget's for the dance floor (chicks dig guys who dance.  I figured that out early)and O'Donohue's for the pool.    Sophomore and Junior year were spent at Tower, and I closed Hegarty's every Sunday first semester Jr year, I dashed to Heg's for a quick pitcher when a journalism Prof was late for a final, and I met a PoliSci Prof there for a review when the final was on a Monday and we couldn't find a place on campus to have the review.   Man, I loved Heg's.   Senior year, I lived at 22nd and Michigan, so I spent most of my senior year at the Gym.    With the frequent Wednesday night Import night at the Ardmore just to break up the monotony.    And I was able to stagger home from all of them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback