[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee  (Read 42545 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Now a days? Garage on Brady or OGBH.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
09-14

Freshman year: O'Brady's, Angelo's, Hegarty's

Sophomore year: Victor's, McCarthy's, Ms Katie's Diner

Junior year: Brother's, Harp

Senior year: Caffrey's, Brother's

Super Senior year: Caffrey's, Nomad, Hi Hat

Since graduation: Points East Pub, Brat House
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:22:21 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
folks should have to state their attendance years before responding to this:
86-91
Frosh - Hegartys  (I was 17 - remember celebrating my 18th birthday in there when the drinking age was already 21
Soph - Junior - ardmore
Senior - studied
Super-senior - had a beer 365 consecutive nights at the gym.  except the nights they were closed, then it was Ardmore.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »
That's an interesting progression.  Getting a little more sophisticated each year, before settling on a neighborhood tavern and pre-game spot.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
folks should have to state their attendance years before responding to this:
86-91
Frosh - Hegartys  (I was 17 - remember celebrating my 18th birthday in there when the drinking age was already 21
Soph - Junior - ardmore
Senior - studied
Super-senior - had a beer 365 consecutive nights at the gym.  except the nights they were closed, then it was Ardmore.

Spent senior year studying and still needed a round 5, eh?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
That's an interesting progression.  Getting a little more sophisticated each year, before settling on a neighborhood tavern and pre-game spot.

Yeah pretty much though you could argue that any list with victor's in it is a step down from the prior year
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
If everyone who claims they were always at the 'Lanche was telling the truth, the line to get in would've stretched to Lake Michigan.

I graduated in '99, went to the 'Lanche my freshman and sophomore year, and it was dead.  The bouncer was dick who would take fake IDs and sell them back to you for $15.  I completely understand the charm of dive bars, (I tended bat at Conway's), but the nostalgia about the Superbar is getting ridiculous.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
If everyone who claims they were always at the 'Lanche was telling the truth, the line to get in would've stretched to Lake Michigan.

I graduated in '99, went to the 'Lanche my freshman and sophomore year, and it was dead.  The bouncer was dick who would take fake IDs and sell them back to you for $15.  I completely understand the charm of dive bars, (I tended bat at Conway's), but the nostalgia about the Superbar is getting ridiculous.

Ha.  I always thought of the 'Lanche as 'interesting'.  Admittedly, it was never my #1 hangout.

I guess for me ('79-'83)

Frosh: Grunt's
Soph: OD's
Junior: Gym, Ardmore and Glock
Senior: Gym, Ardmore.

As a native we used to hit spots all around town, especially in the summer when my HS classmates were home.  Used to play a little game where one guy would name a street and another would then choose a cross street and we'd go to the closest bar we saw at that location.  When our entire HS offensive line was back (several played in college, one in the NFL), we'd get a little extra adventurous.  Never once had a problem but we were always courteous and respectful.  Told our story to the locals more than once.  They usually 'approved' and sometimes wished out loud that they could do the same. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »

For a lot of us older folks, when the drinking age was 18, everyone went to the bars, the Lanche included.  I graduated in '84 and I don't remember it being "dead" at any time I was in there except if we went early afternoon.  Otherwise, we spent most of our time at the Gym, OD's, State House and Good Time's.  Oh, and as the list below from our yearbook shows, the Lighthouse made the list of favorite drinking establishments.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »

The nostalgia is going a bit overboard, and I'm guilty as charged.  And I'm sure the Lanche was dead in your era at MU.   Many of the places talked about by Scoopers who are older than me were dead or gone when I was at MU.  But I fully believe everyone and their story.  As Glow said above, everyone has great memories during their time at college, because college can be a great time, and people make their own good memories.

But how and where they make those memories are cyclical.

I was in high school is the mid 70's when dance clubs and disco were big.   We dressed up in dress pants and large pattern polyester shirts (and some guys, not me, in 1-1/2 inch heels) and went to dance clubs, and places like RC's on the upper East Side.  It was great and I have great memories.

Then thankfully the disco era crashed and burned, with tombstone being Disco Demolition at Wrigley, and the pendulum swung back to jeans, T-shirts and dive bars.  During the 78-83 time frame when I was there, the campus bars were generally THE place to be.  I remember seeing dozens if not hundreds of students at 2am Friday nights walking through the 16th and Wells intersection heading from campus bars to parties or home.  While we went to many other non-dive bars, many good memories were made at the campus bars.

But in the 83 time frame when I was leaving, times were changing again.  Places like Park Avenue, Water Street and the East Side were back in vogue.  I had a great time at those places before I headed out of town.  But my best memories were at the campus bars.  And it is good that others had great memories at other places doing other things.  I'm just glad people remember their time at MU fondly.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:42:22 PM by Archies Bat »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »
The nostalgia is going a bit overboard, and I'm guilty as charged.  And I'm sure the Lanche was dead in your era at MU.   Many of the places talked about by Scoopers who are older than me were dead or gone when I was at MU.  But I fully believe everyone and their story.  As Glow said above, everyone has great memories during their time at college, because college can be a great time, and people make their own good memories.

But how and where they make those memories are cyclical.

I was in high school is the mid 70's when dance clubs and disco were big.   We dressed up in dress pants and large pattern polyester shirts (and some guys, not me, in 1-1/2 inch heels) and went to dance clubs, and places like RC's on the upper East Side.  It was great and I have great memories.

Then thankfully the disco era crashed and burned, with tombstone being Disco Demolition at Wrigley Comiskey, and the pendulum swung back to jeans, T-shirts and dive bars.  During the 78-83 time frame when I was there, the campus bars were generally THE place to be.  I remember seeing dozens if not hundreds of students at 2am Friday nights walking through the 16th and Wells intersection heading from campus bars to parties or home.  While we went to many other non-dive bars, many good memories were made at the campus bars.

But in the 83 time frame when I was leaving, times were changing again.  Places like Park Avenue, Water Street and the East Side were back in vogue.  I had a great time at those places before I headed out of town.  But my best memories were at the campus bars.  And it is good that others had great memories at other places doing other things.  I'm just glad people remember their time at MU fondly.
FIFY

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
FIFY

Thanks.  The memory is the second thing to go with age.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks.  The memory is the second thing to go with age.
No worries.  We're from the same era.  I feel your pain.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
09-14

I'm thinking about looking at all my old bank statements and totaling the amount I spent at Caffrey's senior year. It can't be good

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2016, 03:18:21 PM »
I'm thinking about looking at all my old bank statements and totaling the amount I spent at Caffrey's senior year two weeks ago. It can't be good

FIFY haha
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
   as i've mentioned this story before-i had to open hegarty's at 6:00 am every sunday for the ushers from gesu.  they would skip over during the sermon to down a couple of special exports, buy a pack of halls, then head back for their final blessing.  anyway, on my trek from 21st and wisconsin/wells past the 'lanche, i can still hear the guy with a big push broom, sweeping up all the glass.

btw, surprised no one here has closed wolski's?? or at least have a bumper sticker
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
   as i've mentioned this story before-i had to open hegarty's at 6:00 am every sunday for the ushers from gesu.  they would skip over during the sermon to down a couple of special exports, buy a pack of halls, then head back for their final blessing.  anyway, on my trek from 21st and wisconsin/wells past the 'lanche, i can still hear the guy with a big push broom, sweeping up all the glass.

btw, surprised no one here has closed wolski's?? or at least have a bumper sticker

I saw an I closed Wolskis sticker once in a bar in Illinois and another in Florida of all places. Was really odd.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

I went into the 'Lanche about once a year.   (84-88)    The last 3 during my annual 'death march'.  Not my thing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »
I saw an I closed Wolskis sticker once in a bar in Illinois and another in Florida of all places. Was really odd.

I saw one in St. Bart's.  The next time I went to that bar, I put up a Real Chili sticker.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »

I saw one in Manhattan about 5 years ago. The bartender said that Milwaukee is his favorite city and that he was moving there to start up a brewery shortly after. I just wish I knew which brewery it is

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »

Found one in a bar in Kiln, MS once, clearly plastered by a fellow pilgrim.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »

Brett Favre probably exported that one-da broke spoke, eh' na?  They had a broke spoke up here briefly.  I think it was in new Berlin/Muskego back in the hey day of the 3 amigos
don't...don't don't don't don't

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
Brett Favre probably exported that one-da broke spoke, eh' na?  They had a broke spoke up here briefly.  I think it was in new Berlin/Muskego back in the hey day of the 3 amigos

That's the place. I remember a Confederate flag above the entrance and bras hanging from the ceiling. Run by his wife's cousin or something like that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »
Favre's brother ran the Broke Spoke in Muskego for the few years it lasted

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »

I saw one at a pub in Cusco, Peru a few years back and thought that one wouldn't be topped. Then last year I saw one on the door of a small lodge in the backcountry in Patagonia, way down there in southern Chile. Didn't see that one coming AT ALL.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:40:27 PM by Babybluejeans »