[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259305 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2725 on: April 30, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »
hards

Rodgers is a much better pure QB than Favre and no argument from me. Rodgers  being a competitor, that is a different story. Not impressed one bit by Rodgers competitive nature. In that regard, he is just another guy to me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:48:09 AM by Goose »

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2726 on: April 30, 2021, 10:44:47 AM »

Wasn't it less to do with another qb being a threat to his job and more him being mad that they could have used the pick on another offensive weapon?

Why do they need another offensive weapon? That's another thing I keep hearing that makes no sense.  They had the #1 offense in the league. They had the best offensive line, the best WR, one of the best RB's (and the best pair of backup RB's), one of the best sets of TE's.  So the #2 and #3 WR weren't also the best, boo-f'ing-hoo. They were good enough. 

They made 2 straight league championship games. That's f'ing awesome, not some reason to complain. Imagine you are a Bears fan, and hear Packer fans complain that they didn't win another SB.

The reason they lost both NFC championship games had NOTHING to do with their offensive weapons. The SF game was the run defense (duh).  The TB game was 1) a crapty ref call that turned a PI call into an AR interception, followed by 2) a Kevin King/Pettine brain fart. Neither of those things were the offensive's fault.

AR being pissy about that bothers me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2727 on: April 30, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
hards

Rodgers is a much better pure QB than Favre and no argument from me. Rodgers  being a competitor, that is a different story. Not impressed one bit by Rodgers competitive nature. In that regard, he is just another guy to me.

Honestly I just don't see this.  I think Rodgers is extremely competitive. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2728 on: April 30, 2021, 10:56:45 AM »
fluff

My definition of competitive is a guy that does not accept losing. Plenty of people say they are competitive and all they do is lose. True competitors will do anything to win, even cheat to win. I will never be convinced that Rodgers is a competitor, at least by my definition of competitor.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #2729 on: April 30, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
Although Brady went to a team that didn’t look like a contender the year before and won a Super Bowl.

To be pedantic about it, sure the Bucs didn't look like contenders but they were absolutely loaded with talent and were 1 QB away. Shaq Barrett was coming off a year where he led the league in sacks and they had probably the most talented receiving corps in football. Obviously they added some additional pieces too.

Point is, there's a very good reason the Rams and 49ers wanted Rodgers bad, despite his age. They're both a star QB away from winning it all. In fact I expect the Rams to be legit contenders this year with Stafford.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #2730 on: April 30, 2021, 11:02:20 AM »
On a related note to the head-scratching 2020 draft.

Drafting AJ Dillon makes even less sense now in hindsight. I 100% thought Dillon was meant to be Jones' replacement. Love Aaron Jones but I was shocked the day they signed him to a new deal.

It's getting harder to defend Gute and the management when you look at all these moves, which are bizarre at best.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #2731 on: April 30, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
Why do they need another offensive weapon? That's another thing I keep hearing that makes no sense.  They had the #1 offense in the league. They had the best offensive line, the best WR, one of the best RB's (and the best pair of backup RB's), one of the best sets of TE's.  So the #2 and #3 WR weren't also the best, boo-f'ing-hoo. They were good enough. 

They made 2 straight league championship games. That's f'ing awesome, not some reason to complain. Imagine you are a Bears fan, and hear Packer fans complain that they didn't win another SB.

The reason they lost both NFC championship games had NOTHING to do with their offensive weapons. The SF game was the run defense (duh).  The TB game was 1) a crapty ref call that turned a PI call into an AR interception, followed by 2) a Kevin King/Pettine brain fart. Neither of those things were the offensive's fault.

AR being pissy about that bothers me.

I am a Bears fan, and that's all I heard when I lived in Wisconsin. (Along with "Cutler suuuuucckks")

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2732 on: April 30, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »

Drafting AJ Dillon makes even less sense now in hindsight. I 100% thought Dillon was meant to be Jones' replacement. Love Aaron Jones but I was shocked the day they signed him to a new deal.

It's getting harder to defend Gute and the management when you look at all these moves, which are bizarre at best.

They're entirely different backs.  Dillon is a smasher.  Jones is fast, strong and can catch passes.  Dillon was the backup to whichever guy they retained.  And they got Jones for a song.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2733 on: April 30, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »
I am a Bears fan, and that's all I heard when I lived in Wisconsin. (Along with "Cutler suuuuucckks")

Imagine having 30 years of HOF QBs and 2 Super Bowls to show for it.  Getting excited about winning the NFC North is for loser franchises.   ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2734 on: April 30, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »
I don't see every Packers game, let alone every play, so I can't say for certain where Rodgers ranks on the "great competitor" scale. He sure seems to compete when I do watch him - plays hurt, keeps plays alive, willing to take a hit, etc. Do I know that he won't "accept losing"? No I do not. I don't know how I'd know that.

But no, Goose, he's no Jordan, Tiger or Brady. Nobody is. The results certainly confirm that. He's no Russell, Messier or Magic, either.

Wags, the comparison to LeBron ... maybe personality-wise you're right. Of course, the difference between them is that LeBron has 4 rings, won with 3 different franchises, in which he was the star of each team. He also has more than one trip to his sport's championship round. Lots of people hate LeBron, but he desperately wants to win, and it's pretty much all he has done. Hell, he went to the NBA Finals with a Cleveland team that would have had trouble winning the Big Ten without him (that's hyperbole). But yes, he is a diva. And it appears Rodgers is, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2735 on: April 30, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »

As a Packers fan I say this with great self awareness: We've earned the upcoming 40 years in the desert and will deserve sympathy from no one.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #2736 on: April 30, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »
They're entirely different backs.  Dillon is a smasher.  Jones is fast, strong and can catch passes.  Dillon was the backup to whichever guy they retained.  And they got Jones for a song.

I don't disagree they are totally different styles of back. But how often is a running back drafted out of the 2nd round to be a long term backup? We got Williams and Jones in the 4th and 5th rounds, respectively.

I hope I end up being wrong, but when you got a guy as talented as Jones, prioritizing a RB in the 2nd seems like an odd strategy unless you're anticipating letting him walk in free agency.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2737 on: April 30, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
I don't see every Packers game, let alone every play, so I can't say for certain where Rodgers ranks on the "great competitor" scale. He sure seems to compete when I do watch him - plays hurt, keeps plays alive, willing to take a hit, etc. Do I know that he won't "accept losing"? No I do not. I don't know how I'd know that.

But no, Goose, he's no Jordan, Tiger or Brady. Nobody is. The results certainly confirm that. He's no Russell, Messier or Magic, either.

Wags, the comparison to LeBron ... maybe personality-wise you're right. Of course, the difference between them is that LeBron has 4 rings, won with 3 different franchises, in which he was the star of each team. He also has more than one trip to his sport's championship round. Lots of people hate LeBron, but he desperately wants to win, and it's pretty much all he has done. Hell, he went to the NBA Finals with a Cleveland team that would have had trouble winning the Big Ten without him (that's hyperbole). But yes, he is a diva. And it appears Rodgers is, too.

I’m no Rodgers fan but he’s wildly competitive.  Favre’s “gunslinging” doesn’t make him more of a competitor.  They approach how they play QB differently.  Rodgers is way more cerebral and tries to outsmart the other team much to his teams detriment just as Favre tried to make things happen with his arm to his detriment.  Rodgers doesn’t throw back breaking interceptions and between the two, he’s the one I’d take all the time.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2738 on: April 30, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »

See, that's another odd comment to me.  At the time I honestly thought the Rashan Gary pick was strange. But he turned out to be really good. I initially thought the AJ Dillon pick was strange, but I'm super excited about him now.  Given that both GB's Rbs had only one year left on their contract at last year's draft (and it was possible at the time that A Jones was gonna be too expensive), Dillon was a fantastic pick. Turns out he was meant to be Jamal Williams' replacement. AJ is way better than Williams, smart move.

I also thought the Love pick was strange at the time, but I ultimately understood it given what they knew at the time.  GB's front office is NOT the problem. In fact, I think they are proving to be one of the smartest groups in the league.

Expecting pretty much ANY rookie to contribute meaningfully in their first year is foolish thinking.  Smart front offices draft for two years out. I'm guessing they may take 2 WR's between today and tomorrow, cuz most of their wideouts have one year left on their contracts. Maybe another CB or safety.  Not sure they need to take an O lineman if Bakt is really rehabbing quickly- because they drafted 3 last year for this very reason- they new Linsley was gonna be too expensive this offseason and needed to prep his replacement.  If the Bakt stuff was bullsh*t (very possible), then they probably take an OT in the 2nd round.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:23:31 AM by thebigjake »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2739 on: April 30, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
I don't disagree they are totally different styles of back. But how often is a running back drafted out of the 2nd round to be a long term backup? We got Williams and Jones in the 4th and 5th rounds, respectively.

I hope I end up being wrong, but when you got a guy as talented as Jones, prioritizing a RB in the 2nd seems like an odd strategy unless you're anticipating letting him walk in free agency.

Wiliams and Jones were both up for FA this off season.  They were only ever going to keep one.  If Jones gets hurt, Dillon can shoulder the load just fine.  The Dillon pick was fine, it offered them flexibility... and he looked like a monster last season even after having covid.  I think he's going to be really good next year with more touches.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2740 on: April 30, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »
Rico

I do not believe I ever said Favre was a great competitor. I love Brett Favre but he was the dumbest QB I ever saw play at very high level. Rodgers is far more gifted and has one less SB appearance than Favre.

I have said for years that Brady could hand the ball off on every offensive play and be happy if the team won. That is a competitor to me. Rodgers keeps plays alive, has played hurt and a lot of guys do that. Again, to me, a competitor is someone that wins on the biggest stage more times than not.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2741 on: April 30, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »

That’s all I was saying.  Performance and results wise, totally agree.  But they both are so desperate to be liked and fawned over.  Every star athlete wants to be loved and receive accolades, but Lebron and Rodgers both need to be liked by all, be fawned over, and appear to be the smartest, most clever person in the room

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2742 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
See, that's another odd comment to me.  At the time I honestly thought the Rashan Gary pick was strange. But he turned out to be really good. I initially thought the AJ Dillon pick was strange, but I'm super excited about him now.  Given that both GB's Rbs had only one year left on their contract at last year's draft (and it was possible at the time that A Jones was gonna be too expensive), Dillon was a fantastic pick. Turns out he was meant to be Jamal Williams' replacement. AJ is way better than Williams, smart move.

I also thought the Love pick was strange at the time, but I ultimately understood it given what they knew at the time.  GB's front office is NOT the problem. In fact, I think they are proving to be one of the smartest groups in the league.

Expecting pretty much ANY rookie to contribute meaningfully in their first year is foolish thinking.  Smart front offices draft for two years out. I'm guessing they may take 2 WR's between today and tomorrow, cuz most of their wideouts have one year left on their contracts. Maybe another CB or safety.  Not sure they need to take an O lineman if Bakt is really rehabbing quickly- because they drafted 3 last year for this very reason- they new Linsley was gonna be too expensive this offseason and needed to prep his replacement.  If the Bakt stuff was bullsh*t (very possible), then they probably take an OT in the 2nd round.

Bolded part... exactly, they have no choice.  Almost none of the guys on the roster currently will be there after this year.

I'd be looking at WRs, LB, and OL as needs, and take value picks where available for the rest.  With all those picks, they could be on the move to trade up for someone they're targetting.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2743 on: April 30, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »
Fun fact: Since 2009, the Bears have invested 13 draft picks in QBs, including five first-rounders. Fourteen if you count the pick used on Kyle Orton, who was part of the Cutler trade.

Does this include the #1's they traded too?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2744 on: April 30, 2021, 11:38:41 AM »
That’s all I was saying.  Performance and results wise, totally agree.  But they both are so desperate to be liked and fawned over.  Every star athlete wants to be loved and receive accolades, but Lebron and Rodgers both need to be liked by all, be fawned over, and appear to be the smartest, most clever person in the room

Can't argue with that. LeBron is downright embarrassing sometimes with his pursuit of adulation. Rodgers, I just don't know his persona well enough, but I'll take the word of those who watch him a lot more closely.

I have said for years that Brady could hand the ball off on every offensive play and be happy if the team won. That is a competitor to me. Rodgers keeps plays alive, has played hurt and a lot of guys do that. Again, to me, a competitor is someone that wins on the biggest stage more times than not.

I'm not sure I agree with all this, Goose. But I don't want to have a Scoop semantics battle, so I'll just say that different folks can have different opinions on stuff that can't be "proven."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2745 on: April 30, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »
Rico

I do not believe I ever said Favre was a great competitor. I love Brett Favre but he was the dumbest QB I ever saw play at very high level. Rodgers is far more gifted and has one less SB appearance than Favre.

By that criteria, a lot of QBs wouldn’t be considered a competitor
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2746 on: April 30, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
hards

Goose, Favre was a drunk, a drug addict, and a womanizer, who really didn't pride himself in staying in shape or training/practicing in most off seasons.

I can make a better argument for Rodgers being a competitor than Favre.

Favre was a disgusting human being.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2747 on: April 30, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »
forgetful

OK. Never have I said Favre was a better competitor or QB to Rodgers but thanks for stating your thoughts on the topic.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2748 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
Does this include the #1's they traded too?

Yes.
Two firsts and a third for Cutler.
Two firsts, a fourth and a fifth for Fields.
A first, two thirds and a fourth for Money Mitch.
Drafted David Fales, Nathan Enderle and Dan LeFevour.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2749 on: April 30, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »
Yes.
Two firsts and a third for Cutler.
Two firsts, a fourth and a fifth for Fields.
A first, two thirds and a fourth for Money Mitch.
Drafted David Fales, Nathan Enderle and Dan LeFevour.

From that jewel of a 2011 draft that got Angelo fired.  Not only did they have only 5 picks, none of them played for the Bears for more than 2 seasons, except for 1...Chris f-ing Conte.

Picking Enderle instead of Tyrod Taylor was stupid then and looked even stupider later