[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259315 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2675 on: April 29, 2021, 09:48:45 PM »
Should the Bears trade Mack?  I thought he was incredibly disappointing last season.   I'm just curious what we could get for him?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2676 on: April 29, 2021, 10:04:58 PM »
It's hard to defend Bears management, but ... I'm guessing that when they got Dalton, they thought that Fields would go much higher and that they wouldn't be able to trade up that high to get him. In the time since then, as it became apparent that Fields might drop, they saw an opportunity to get a QB they like.

Bingo.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2677 on: April 29, 2021, 10:19:09 PM »
It's hard to defend Bears management, but ... I'm guessing that when they got Dalton, they thought that Fields would go much higher and that they wouldn't be able to trade up that high to get him. In the time since then, as it became apparent that Fields might drop, they saw an opportunity to get a QB they like.

Yep.  When they signed Dalton, the Panthers hadn’t traded for Darnold.  The Broncos hasn’t traded for Bridgewater.  The Falcons were being talked about heavily for Fields. The Patriots wanted to trade up from a better position than the Bears.  The Bears would have likely had to trade up for Mac Jones, much less Fields.   I agree they overpaid, but to even be in that scenario was a big sea change compared to a few weeks ago.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2678 on: April 29, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »
Think that’s a great move by the Bears.  Whether Fields can overcome the organization, that’s another story

This.

And the Dalton/Foles thing doesn't matter at all. Dalton is on a one year deal and they can cut Foles after this season with only $3.6M dead cap.  All it costs is more 2021 money than you'd like. But top backup QBs cost $5M per year anyway.  $14M over one season for Dalton/Foles is whatever.  Don't let the fear of wasting $10M stop you from getting your guy when the draft winds shift direction.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2679 on: April 29, 2021, 10:58:08 PM »
Now, they can be terrible next year and Pace/ Nagy will have no worries about being fired.

Cuz the savior will be ready in ‘22.

Be careful what you hope for.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2680 on: April 29, 2021, 10:59:14 PM »
Yep.  When they signed Dalton, the Panthers hadn’t traded for Darnold.  The Broncos hasn’t traded for Bridgewater.  The Falcons were being talked about heavily for Fields. The Patriots wanted to trade up from a better position than the Bears.  The Bears would have likely had to trade up for Mac Jones, much less Fields.   I agree they overpaid, but to even be in that scenario was a big sea change compared to a few weeks ago.

Is it really that much of an overpay, though?  The only pick of real consequence is next year's 1st, which absolutely could be a high pick. But if Fields is the guy that doesn't matter. Of course that's a big if. I also have no idea who the top QBs might be in next year's draft.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2681 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:44 PM »
The Packers War Room looked like an interrogation room.

I know nothing about college football, but hope Stokes can take King’s spot.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2682 on: April 29, 2021, 11:06:18 PM »
Whether people like it or not, part of the cost to get Fields was Kyle Fuller. It wasn’t known at the time, but it’s not wrong.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2683 on: April 29, 2021, 11:20:34 PM »
Whether people like it or not, part of the cost to get Fields was Kyle Fuller. It wasn’t known at the time, but it’s not wrong.

You’re right. But only because of the Quinn fiasco.

When you have to use high draft picks to make up for horrible previous high draft picks (Trubisky, Shaheen, etc.), you are wasting extremely valuable resources.

The defense will be worse, maybe much worse, and Andy Dalton will be at QB.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2684 on: April 29, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
Guess the Bears are out of the Aaron Rodgers sweepstake.

I still think Murphy steps in. Rodgers’ tantrum is all about Gutey.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2685 on: April 29, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »
Please give more freedom to a GM and coach who won't be around next year.

Also smart to continue to pay Foles, go get Dalton, then trade up for a rookie QB.

So dumb

In other words - same old Bears.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2686 on: April 29, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »
You’re right. But only because of the Quinn fiasco.

When you have to use high draft picks to make up for horrible previous high draft picks (Trubisky, Shaheen, etc.), you are wasting extremely valuable resources.

The defense will be worse, maybe much worse, and Andy Dalton will be at QB.

We get it, you’ll never throw a compliment the Bears way ever.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2687 on: April 30, 2021, 12:01:02 AM »
We get it, you’ll never throw a compliment the Bears way ever.

Actually the Bears made a better pick than GB. Stokes was Kiper’s lowest rated player taken in the 1st round. And for the Kiper-haters, Stokes wasn’t rated at a 1st rounder by most of the top guys.

BTW, should I compliment the Bears for trading up and losing draft capital AGAIN?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2688 on: April 30, 2021, 12:31:37 AM »
You guys know where I’m going here...

I hated Pittsburgh and especially Jax taking RB’s in round 1. Pittsburgh’s running game was awful last year because their offensive line can not (still can’t) run block. I like Harris, but if they can’t block anyone, it doesn’t matter who is back there.

That Etienne pick is the worst of the first round. The Jags had an undrafted back who was really good (borderline great) last year. So dumb and value wasted.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2689 on: April 30, 2021, 04:16:53 AM »
Gutey tonight: “We’re not going to trade Aaron”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2690 on: April 30, 2021, 04:35:18 AM »
Gutey tonight: “We’re not going to trade Aaron”

I have news for him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2691 on: April 30, 2021, 05:52:44 AM »
Is there a fan base that dislikes successful GMs as much as the Packers?

I can’t really be too upset about the Love pick. It’s following the same game plan that got us a second HOF QB in a row.

Let’s also not pretend Rodgers was playing at an MVP level prior to that pick. He had injuries and frankly was a bit of a mess. Footwork was bad and holding out for the deep play.

Rodgers is under contract for a few more years. If Rodgers continues to be a top QB and Love doesn’t progress, we stick with Rodgers. If Rodgers’ last year was a bit of a fluke and he struggles, a decision is made and financially it’s easy for the Packers to move on.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2692 on: April 30, 2021, 06:18:56 AM »

I can’t really be too upset about the Love pick. It’s following the same game plan that got us a second HOF QB in a row.

Let’s also not pretend Rodgers was playing at an MVP level prior to that pick. He had injuries and frankly was a bit of a mess. Footwork was bad and holding out for the deep play.

Rodgers is under contract for a few more years. If Rodgers continues to be a top QB and Love doesn’t progress, we stick with Rodgers. If Rodgers’ last year was a bit of a fluke and he struggles, a decision is made and financially it’s easy for the Packers to move on.

Yes guys have fluke years and are the MVP.  Stop defending the front office in GB.  They've bungled the Rodgers situation, and our last two first round picks have been unequivocal head scratchers around the NFL.  You can like Stokes as a player, but also realize that you could have gotten him a round later.  Probably the same with Jordan Love last year.  That's why people are pissed.  The GM picks who he likes not realizing these guys could probably be gotten later.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2693 on: April 30, 2021, 06:41:35 AM »

This is correct. It clearly looked like Rodgers was in decline Not only that, he was disrespectful to the coach. Changing plays and clowning him during games. Many examples of it.

Rodgers has nothing to be upset about, nothing. He is one year in on a 4 year deal that made him the highest paid qb at the time. The team had the number 1 rated offense in the league last year. The gm drafted a qb, BFD.  Be a man and shut your mouth and play. Does Rodgers not realize he was the Jordan Love 16 years ago. What an arrogant ass. I would like to see Rodgers return and think he ultimately will, but is it worth kissing this guys ass and ruining the long term success of the team in the process for maybe 3 more years of an effective Rodgers? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2694 on: April 30, 2021, 07:02:57 AM »
This is correct. It clearly looked like Rodgers was in decline Not only that, he was disrespectful to the coach. Changing plays and clowning him during games. Many examples of it.

Rodgers has nothing to be upset about, nothing. He is one year in on a 4 year deal that made him the highest paid qb at the time. The team had the number 1 rated offense in the league last year. The gm drafted a qb, BFD.  Be a man and shut your mouth and play. Does Rodgers not realize he was the Jordan Love 16 years ago. What an arrogant ass. I would like to see Rodgers return and think he ultimately will, but is it worth kissing this guys ass and ruining the long term success of the team in the process for maybe 3 more years of an effective Rodgers?

Absolute revisionist history.  He was a Pro bowler in 2019.  4000 yards.  26 TD 4 INT...  And his WR group was miserable.  His 2nd best WR had 35 catches, which was 5th most on the team.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2695 on: April 30, 2021, 07:10:07 AM »
Absolute revisionist history.  He was a Pro bowler in 2019.  4000 yards.  26 TD 4 INT...  And his WR group was miserable.  His 2nd best WR had 35 catches, which was 5th most on the team.

The other revisionist history is Rodgers is never to blame for any of the teams shortcomings.  The same nonsense was spewed with Favre apologists from 2000 until his departure.  Rodgers is a diva.  He can suck it up and be a leader for once instead of pouting and playing his word games with the media.  The Packers have and continue to pay him handsomely and went all in with him in 2008.  The much maligned defense gave him 3 turnovers in the second half of last years NFC title game and the “goat” didn’t capitalize. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2696 on: April 30, 2021, 07:13:46 AM »

Why? The salary difference between the 11th pick and the 20th pick is about $5 million over four years.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2697 on: April 30, 2021, 07:32:39 AM »

He had two of his worst Completion % years in 18 and 19. He only played 7 games in 2017. I think it was very fair for the front office to worry he was starting to decline and think about the future. That’s their jobs.

He bounced back and had a great 2020. Career highs in TDs and completion percentage. It seemed like he bought into Lafleur’s system and was super successful.

I like Rodgers. I hope he’s our QB for as long as he’s playing at a high level. I just don’t think our front office is incompetent.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2698 on: April 30, 2021, 07:34:51 AM »
The other revisionist history is Rodgers is never to blame for any of the teams shortcomings.  The same nonsense was spewed with Favre apologists from 2000 until his departure.  Rodgers is a diva.  He can suck it up and be a leader for once instead of pouting and playing his word games with the media.  The Packers have and continue to pay him handsomely and went all in with him in 2008.  The much maligned defense gave him 3 turnovers in the second half of last years NFC title game and the “goat” didn’t capitalize.

Spot on Rico.  He couldn’t deliver a TD with three cracks at it late in the game.  As much as Brady struggled in the 2nd half, he made more plays than Rodgers that game and delivered the dagger in the end.  Which is why he’s won so many championships and why Rodgers is  1-4 in NFC championship games. 

People  can excuse those losses away on defense, Bostick, McCarthy, etc. all they want, but the fact is Rodgers has stunk in those games and numbers prove it. Yes, he’s had a lot of great moments and games, but elite QB’s are judged on getting it done and winning it all, not getting close, only to fall short again. So Rodgers can enjoy his company with the Dilfers and Flaccos of NFL history with his one SB appearance and title. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2699 on: April 30, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
Spot on Rico.  He couldn’t deliver a TD with three cracks at it late in the game.  As much as Brady struggled in the 2nd half, he made more plays than Rodgers that game and delivered the dagger in the end.  Which is why he’s won so many championships and why Rodgers is  1-4 in NFC championship games. 

People  can excuse those losses away on defense, Bostick, McCarthy, etc. all they want, but the fact is Rodgers has stunk in those games and numbers prove it. Yes, he’s had a lot of great moments and games, but elite QB’s are judged on getting it done and winning it all, not getting close, only to fall short again. So Rodgers can enjoy his company with the Dilfers and Flaccos of NFL history with his one SB appearance and title.

5 NFC championship games- 83.7 QBR, 9 TD, 8 INT. 

#notevenindiscussionforgoat