[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259298 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2600 on: April 29, 2021, 03:42:18 PM »
That's why I ended the first part of the post with "The Jags would never even consider trading 1 overall for Rodgers, though."

I missed that  :-[

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2601 on: April 29, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »

I'm not understanding why he is "scorned" though.  He has a coach that runs a modern offense.  They have an All Pro receiver, OLT, RB, and have played in the last two NFC Championship Games.  They have offered him an extension but doesn't seem willing to listen.

He's pissed they drafted Love last year. Petty, I agree. But, his bank account is dwarfed only by his ego, hey?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:58:51 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2602 on: April 29, 2021, 03:54:37 PM »
This was inevitable, and not much of a surprise to me. Rodgers has all the leverage and timed this news to come out perfectly.

People that think Rodgers contract keeps him playing in GB this year and beyond are not understanding the full context here. There’s a reason teams kept calling the Packers this offseason, the league knows he wants out.

I don’t think he gets traded today, but I also don’t think this ends well.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2603 on: April 29, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »
This was inevitable, and not much of a surprise to me. Rodgers has all the leverage and timed this news to come out perfectly.

People that think Rodgers contract keeps him playing in GB this year and beyond are not understanding the full context here. There’s a reason teams kept calling the Packers this offseason, the league knows he wants out.

I don’t think he gets traded today, but I also don’t think this ends well.

Yep.  I said this with Watson, but when a player of this caliber wants out, and has the leverage, there really isn't much of a choice.  (Of course Watson lost that leverage spectacularly, but I don't think that happens with Rodgers.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2604 on: April 29, 2021, 04:00:32 PM »

I'm not understanding why he is "scorned" though.  He has a coach that runs a modern offense.  They have an All Pro receiver, OLT, RB, and have played in the last two NFC Championship Games.  They have offered him an extension but doesn't seem willing to listen.
This.
 I dont understand either. He is signed with a monster contract for 3 more years. Why is he dictating to the packers who they should draft? Sounds like it's all about him and not the team. What leverage does Rodgers have?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2605 on: April 29, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
This.
 I dont understand either. He is signed with a monster contract for 3 more years. Why is he dictating to the packers who they should draft? Sounds like it's all about him and not the team. What leverage does Rodgers have?

Himself, of course.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2606 on: April 29, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
I’m guessing this is his way of forcing their hand to draft more offensive talent. Maybe I’m being optimistic, but he seems to put something out every offseason that he’s unhappy in hopes of more weapons or a better contract.

For a guy that wanted to be the anti-Favre, he’s following a similar script. Although, maybe that’s just what happens with elite QBs at the end of their careers.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2607 on: April 29, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »
Himself, of course.
He is coming across like a selfish ass in my opinion. His leverage is himself, but also his cap number.

• All American
« Reply #2608 on: April 29, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
This.

He has a lot of leverage.  What good is having an All Pro quarterback if he is not on the field?  He doesn't need the money.  The team will lose if he doesn't show up.  He knows that they will eventually have to see what they can get for him because otherwise he is just a non-performing asset.

The Packers are playing hardball publicly, but I'm sure they have been weighing options privately for awhile.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2609 on: April 29, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
He is coming across like a selfish ass in my opinion. His leverage is himself, but also his cap number.

Oh, I don't disagree.  This may go down as one of the most shrewd moves in NFL history by a player.

• All American
« Reply #2610 on: April 29, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
He is coming across like a selfish ass in my opinion.

Why do you think he cares?  He understands the nature of fandom.  He knows that he would get booed at Lambeau, but eventually fans will forgive.  (If he actually cares about that.) 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2611 on: April 29, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
Reading the tea leaves, he can’t come back to GB. He was probably not playing in GB in 2022 (2023 for sure he wasn’t), and the lack of faith and trust is beyond broken. I trust the Packers internally had to have talked this through, but minus a massive extension, they didn’t play their options here very well (at least not yet).

The window to trade him to get 95 cents on the dollar is right now, like right right now. Once the draft starts, his 2021 trade value falls (simply because of the unknown 2022 draft positions). I just don’t know how they can reasonably get 95 cents for him. Niners lack future first rounders, other west coast options are meh with value they can send back.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2612 on: April 29, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

Why do you think he cares?  He understands the nature of fandom.  He knows that he would get booed at Lambeau, but eventually fans will forgive.  (If he actually cares about that.)
Well I dont think he cares, obviously. Still coming across as a selfish guy. Why? Because they drafted a qb. Btw, I'm not sure the fans will be so fast to forgive, eventually yes. Rodgers isn't as beloved as Favre was. Different scenario.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:22:06 PM by hairy worthen »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2613 on: April 29, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
40m
Also per sources: as of last night Rodgers was convinced he was headed to San Francisco. Draft day is the best...

trey wingo
@wingoz
·
1h
Sources: The Packers reportedly told Aaron Rodgers they were going to trade him in the off season, then backed off. It’s been a bleep show between them ever since.  And within the last week Rodgers told the team.. trade or no trade I’m not coming back. Buckle up folks

trey wingo
@wingoz
·
1h
Understand this Aaron Rodgers thing has been building for a while: Packers fired his QB coach after 2017 season.. Aaron campaigned for someone else to get the GM job, went to Guetenkuenst. Then they trade BACK into the 1st round last year to take his successor.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2614 on: April 29, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »
This.

Who did he tell them to draft?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2615 on: April 29, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »
Who did he tell them to draft?
Maybe he told them someone in specific maybe not, how would I know. It is well reported that he didnt like the Jordan Love pick and it is still a problem to the point now that he wants out. That is indirectly dictating to the team what type of players to draft and how to run the team. That's not his job.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2616 on: April 29, 2021, 04:55:17 PM »
trey wingo
@wingoz

·
1h
Understand this Aaron Rodgers thing has been building for a while: Packers fired his QB coach after 2017 season.. Aaron campaigned for someone else to get the GM job, went to Guetenkuenst. Then they trade BACK into the 1st round last year to take his successor.

As I said earlier, this is more about Gutey than Rodgers.

If Gutey follows through, GB will be a bottom feeder and Gutey will be gone in 2 years after destroying one of the NFL’s greatest franchises.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2617 on: April 29, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »
As I said earlier, this is more about Gutey than Rodgers.

If Gutey follows through, GB will be a bottom feeder and Gutey will be gone in 2 years after destroying one of the NFL’s greatest franchises.
I disagree. Players aren't bigger than the team and shouldn't force the hand of the gm. Gutey has to be accountable to himself and the organization, he doesn't work for Aaron Rodgers.

The team didnt back down for Favre and it worked out ok.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:03:03 PM by hairy worthen »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2618 on: April 29, 2021, 05:15:45 PM »
hairy

Rodgers always appeared to be a "me" first guy and took far too much pride in "being the smartest guy in the room" IMO. Great, great QB with limited success compared to the talent he brought to the field. Granted, I am admittedly a Favre guy for life, but I definitely learned to appreciate Rodgers high level of talent. Truthfully, I will remember him as guy that tried too hard to be the guy.

All that said, I definitely am not looking forward to return the 1970's-80's Packers. We have been spoiled and I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the Favre era.

• All American
« Reply #2619 on: April 29, 2021, 05:25:05 PM »
trey wingo
@wingoz
·
40m
Also per sources: as of last night Rodgers was convinced he was headed to San Francisco. Draft day is the best...

trey wingo
@wingoz
·
1h
Sources: The Packers reportedly told Aaron Rodgers they were going to trade him in the off season, then backed off. It’s been a bleep show between them ever since.  And within the last week Rodgers told the team.. trade or no trade I’m not coming back. Buckle up folks

trey wingo
@wingoz
·
1h

Silverstein already has tweeted against the “Packers told Rodgers they would trade him” talk.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2620 on: April 29, 2021, 05:37:11 PM »
hairy

Rodgers always appeared to be a "me" first guy and took far too much pride in "being the smartest guy in the room" IMO. Great, great QB with limited success compared to the talent he brought to the field. Granted, I am admittedly a Favre guy for life, but I definitely learned to appreciate Rodgers high level of talent. Truthfully, I will remember him as guy that tried too hard to be the guy.

All that said, I definitely am not looking forward to return the 1970's-80's Packers. We have been spoiled and I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the Favre era.
Agreed, except I dont see the team returning to 70-80s level of futility. The packers are very talented other than Rodgers and the front office structure is light years better now.

Rodgers will be 38 next year, he isn't playing forever. The Packers shouldn't sell out their future to placate this guy. The ironic and hypocritical thing is Rodgers was drafted to replace a legend and hall of famer,  now he is bent because it happened again with him?
Just a hunch but I think another driving factor for Rodgers is playing in bay area.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2621 on: April 29, 2021, 05:41:01 PM »
hairy

Goose,

Do you really think Rodgers is any more spoiled than Brady? Brady has been very open about making player recommendations to his teams.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2622 on: April 29, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »
Goose,

Do you really think Rodgers is any more spoiled than Brady? Brady has been very open about making player recommendations to his teams.

I HATE Brady and have always very much respected Rodgers more as a player, but I think so.  Brady played under BB his entire career and was largely tied to him. Rodgers threw McCarthy under the bus plenty of times. 

Rodgers has always been the king of “oh my gosh look how hurt I am” only to move just fine on the next series to look like a gritty hero.  Rodgers is a winner, but his narrative, his ego, his stats/perception has always been just as important as team success (eg: taking sacks to not screw up his completion percentage).  Everything about his off the field image and brand and perception has always been closely managed and curated.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2623 on: April 29, 2021, 06:15:21 PM »
I HATE Brady and have always very much respected Rodgers more as a player, but I think so.  Brady played under BB his entire career and was largely tied to him. Rodgers threw McCarthy under the bus plenty of times. 

Rodgers has always been the king of “oh my gosh look how hurt I am” only to move just fine on the next series to look like a gritty hero.  Rodgers is a winner, but his narrative, his ego, his stats/perception has always been just as important as team success (eg: taking sacks to not screw up his completion percentage).  Everything about his off the field image and brand and perception has always been closely managed and curated.

Rodgers is a phony but so was Favre.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2624 on: April 29, 2021, 06:16:35 PM »
Trade his ass for Trevor Lawrence and a few other picks and the Pack is good. Love can be the back-up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback