[Today at 08:05:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259370 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2500 on: March 30, 2021, 10:44:33 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to get a read on Jones. He said his strength was executing whatever the coach's game plan was -- he would always listen to the coach. That's a good thing, mostly, but again it suggest a bit of a robotic playing style.

Mel Kiper has him going 3rd overall to SF. Others have him going late first round or early second. The Panthers, who desperately want a QB, don't appear to be high on him, though Rhule has said nice things about him after working with him at the Senior Bowl.

I'm not excited about him ... which means he'll probably be a superstar - ha!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2501 on: March 30, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to get a read on Jones. He said his strength was executing whatever the coach's game plan was -- he would always listen to the coach. That's a good thing, mostly, but again it suggest a bit of a robotic playing style.

Mel Kiper has him going 3rd overall to SF. Others have him going late first round or early second. The Panthers, who desperately want a QB, don't appear to be high on him, though Rhule has said nice things about him after working with him at the Senior Bowl.

That 3rd pick is solely based on the Niners trading up and Shanahan going to his pro day/supposedly liking him.  I think it’s all a bit crazy.  But hey, if it means the Bears don’t try to trade up into the teens to take him, I’m good.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2502 on: March 30, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »

I think the fact that he is all over the board in the 1st round is a good thing. The great coaches and GMs are looking for a guy that will fit their system - not just the most physically gifted QB.

What we know is that teams will reach for a QB. We also know that the majority of them will fail.

That’s why studies have shown that the secret to a good draft is having more picks than other teams.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2503 on: March 30, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »
What do folks think of Mac Jones' potential as an NFL QB?

He seems mechanical to me, and judging from photos I've seen of his workouts, he looks like he enjoys 6-packs rather than having 6-pack abs. But he actually moves quite well - 4.7 time in the 40 - and it's impossible to argue with his production at Bama.

Aside from Lawrence, he's arguably the most known quantity among all the QBs available. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Jones is a polished Quarterback who ran the Alabama system well. It appears from casual observation to make good reads. If that continues he will find a place in the NFL if not as a starter, then definitely a 2nd or 3rd string QB. Guys who can throw the ball on the money to the right receiver are worth something.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2504 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:11 PM »
That 3rd pick is solely based on the Niners trading up and Shanahan going to his pro day/supposedly liking him.  I think it’s all a bit crazy.  But hey, if it means the Bears don’t try to trade up into the teens to take him, I’m good.

I got the Panthers’ #8 overall pick for ya, Wags. It’ll only cost you an extra first and second!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2505 on: March 30, 2021, 06:50:37 PM »
The more quarterbacks going early, the better the defender who never produces for the Lions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2506 on: March 31, 2021, 10:31:34 PM »
I’m a Bears fan and this off-season has made it harder to be than ever.
Dalton signing is baffling, but I put it all on the owners. What did they expect when you bring back a lame duck coach and GM scrambling to save their jobs. You don’t get the one thing we need..... a plan.
Nagy and pace should’ve gone, then you run Foles out there next year, take your lumps, and build the team. Go hard at rebuilding that OL to start.
Wilson was never coming, and you dodged a bullet not getting Watson.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2507 on: April 03, 2021, 07:52:37 AM »
Texans may be worried that Watsons troubles may end up in his suspension . They may pick up Alex Smith as insurance
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Deshaun-Watson-investigation-Houston-Texas-could-sign-Alex-Smith-Washington-Football-Team-163552874/
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2508 on: April 03, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
The more quarterbacks going early, the better the defender who never produces for the Lions.

Even though the Panthers need a QB, and there are some decent prospects, I'm not really digging any of them other than Lawrence. And there are so many incredible receivers, as well as offensive tackles, the latter of which is an area of huge need. So part of me is hoping all the QBs go before the Panthers draft so my team can get one of the much higher-ranked players.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2509 on: April 03, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »
Even though the Panthers need a QB, and there are some decent prospects, I'm not really digging any of them other than Lawrence. And there are so many incredible receivers, as well as offensive tackles, the latter of which is an area of huge need. So part of me is hoping all the QBs go before the Panthers draft so my team can get one of the much higher-ranked players.
The Florida Tight End looks very good to me.
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2510 on: April 03, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »

Herman, this is a family friendly board...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2511 on: April 03, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
Hey, he didn't say anything about the loose end, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2512 on: April 03, 2021, 08:31:30 PM »

I agree, 9-9-9.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2513 on: April 04, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »
I know Jalen Suggs is going to be a very high NBA draft pick and will get three years of good money guaranteed. However, his NBA tenure may not work out.

However, would it be worth the Vikings ( or any other team) using their 7th round pick to select Jalen Suggs? Theory being many of the 7th rounders don't work out. Suggs was a great high school quarterback and someday may fancy playing the game professionally. Drafting him locks up the rights to his professional services. Was thinking the Vikings since that is his hometown team.

Many years ago the St. Louis Football Cardinals did this with Kirk Gibson knowing he had already chosen baseball. Gibson was a tremendous college football player, who only played one year of baseball, but made the decision to play baseball for longer career potential. So he was drafted by the Tigers and had a very good long career as planned. If things didn't work out so fast in Baseball as they did for Gibson , he very well might have gone the football route.

Obviously Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson played both football and baseball. Charlie Wood was a better football player and played pro basketball.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2514 on: April 04, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »
However, would it be worth the Vikings ( or any other team) using their 7th round pick to select Jalen Suggs?

No.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2515 on: April 04, 2021, 11:19:39 PM »
Charlie Wood was a better football player and played pro basketball.

Charlie Ward won a Heisman and still chose basketball.

As for the question, short of completely and utterly flaming out so badly that no NBA teams would touch him like Anthony Bennett, Suggs should never think about football ever again. The money is just not even close.

There are 5 QBs with contracts that guarantee at least $70MM over its lifetime.  There are 17 players in the NBA who are guaranteed that much in the next 2 seasons alone. Joe Burrow signed a 4 year $36MM contract, which actually puts him in the top half of QBs.  That entire contract is less than what Jrue Holiday is getting per year.

If Suggs would be the #1 pick in the NFL draft at QB or a lottery pick in the NBA, it’s still a complete no brainer to pick basketball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2516 on: April 04, 2021, 11:41:53 PM »
No team is wasting a draft pick on Suggs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2517 on: April 04, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »
No team is wasting a draft pick on Suggs.

Also, he’s not draft eligible until the 2023 draft, so there’s that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2518 on: April 05, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
Also, he’s not draft eligible until the 2023 draft, so there’s that.
I guess some ideas are better than others lol
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2519 on: April 05, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
Charlie Wood was a better football player and played pro basketball.

Ward also went undrafted by the NFL, so it made the decision to play basketball an easy one for him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2520 on: April 05, 2021, 03:03:54 PM »
Looks like MU82 has got his new QB ... Sam Darnold to the Panthers for 2nd and 4th round picks in 2022 and a 6th round pick in 2021.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2521 on: April 05, 2021, 03:27:24 PM »
I actually think this could be a sneaky good trade for Carolina.  I think Darnold is better than he has shown.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2522 on: April 05, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »
Looks like MU82 has got his new QB ... Sam Darnold to the Panthers for 2nd and 4th round picks in 2022 and a 6th round pick in 2021.

Yeah, I just saw that.

First, I haven't seen Darnold enough to know if he's good, bad or just meh. He had enough raw talent to be drafted No. 3 overall, but the Jets had very few offensive weapons and bad coaching, so it's hard for me to know what happened there.

Second, didn't give up much for him, as you stated. If he ends up flourishing in Charlotte, that will have been a microscopic price to have paid.

And third (and mostly), I wasn't in love with the QB options the Panthers would have had on draft day. The Panthers have serious needs at LT, CB and TE, and now they absolutely will get a stud at one of those positions because they don't have to reach for a QB. Or they can even trade down and maybe fill two of those positions. So I really like the draft flexibility they'll have now.

Worst part of getting Darnold, to me, is that by next month the Panthers have to decide if they want to exercise his fifth-year option of $18.9 million guaranteed for 2022. That's a ton of money for a guy who hasn't done squadoosh, but I'll try to look at it more like a two-year, $23.6M deal, because he has such a low salary this season.

And if Watson gets out of his legal entanglements and hits the trade market, they now have a young QB to include in a trade for him if all parties are still interested.

All in all, I'm open-minded about this. Rhule has been a pretty good judge of talent so far, and if he likes Darnold, I'm gonna be optimistic about it, too.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2523 on: April 05, 2021, 03:44:11 PM »
With the high rate of 1st round QB flops, I think this was a good decision for Carolina.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2524 on: April 05, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »
Feels like it was a tad too much to give up for Darnold, but it wasn’t egregious. I think the 4th round pick was the too steep portion. They’ll have to pick up the fifth year option due to the picks they gave up, but the cap should go up (instead of down) next season. Overall seems fine to take two years to see, and go from there.

feedback