[Today at 01:32:59 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259236 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2400 on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
I’ll wait on the final Jones contract details, but I have a very difficult time understanding why they just didn’t franchise him. His cap hit is going to have to be $6 mil or below in 2021 for this to make sense. Packers are going to end up eating Jones dead money eventually while trying to figure out what to pay Dillon.

My guess is Jones gets $19 million in cash in 2021, $6 mil cap hit this year, next year a $14 mil cap hit. Voidable years will have a dead money conversion of $10 million.

The cap hit for this signing will likely be lower than the franchise tag cap number. It also puts him under contract at below market rate for 4-years.

If they franchise him, the chance of him staying longer term is near zero. It also shows other players that GB will not trap you with a franchise tag.

Lots of wins with this deal, I don't see many negatives.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2401 on: March 14, 2021, 09:58:11 PM »
The cap hit for this signing will likely be lower than the franchise tag cap number. It also puts him under contract at below market rate for 4-years.

If they franchise him, the chance of him staying longer term is near zero. It also shows other players that GB will not trap you with a franchise tag.

Lots of wins with this deal, I don't see many negatives.

Yes, that’s why I targeted $6 mil in 2021. Any number above that would make no sense.

The negative is Green Bay taking on the risk of injury or lack of performance in year 2. Franchise tag means no risk and you franchise him again in 22 when he’ll be 28.

Oh, also...

THEY DRATED A RUNNING BACK IN THE 2ND ROUND.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: March 14, 2021, 10:59:29 PM »
Yes, that’s why I targeted $6 mil in 2021. Any number above that would make no sense.

The negative is Green Bay taking on the risk of injury or lack of performance in year 2. Franchise tag means no risk and you franchise him again in 22 when he’ll be 28.

Oh, also...

Yes, the injury risk is always a potential problem. But I like the idea of rewarding players. I think long-term that type of treatment can go a long way.

On the drafted running back. GB needs that power-back compliment. I think the tandem of Jones and Dillon could be brilliant. We'll see, and I'm far from an NFL expert, but I like the possibilities.

The biggest downside I see is that unless they get really creative cap wise, this doesn't really allow them to bring in an impact WR. Possibly sign long term deals for Rodgers, Z'darius, and Adams. Then go sign Golladay. Could be a pretty solid team in that case.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:17:32 PM by forgetful »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2403 on: March 14, 2021, 11:44:46 PM »

Oh, also...

Which is great news. Both guys should be in the 15-17 touches per game range.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2404 on: March 15, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
Tagging a player may have saved them some money, but now the Packers have two really good backs that compliment each other tied up for a few years. Tagging a player doesn't always work out well for the team. Lets see how well it works out for the Bears and Robinson. I see that as a distraction coming soon. Remarkably the Packers are going to be keeping nearly everyone save Lindsley after being over 30 million over the cap. Many other teams can't say the same.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:40:51 AM by hairy worthen »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2405 on: March 15, 2021, 08:24:03 AM »
Yes, the injury risk is always a potential problem. But I like the idea of rewarding players. I think long-term that type of treatment can go a long way.

On the drafted running back. GB needs that power-back compliment. I think the tandem of Jones and Dillon could be brilliant. We'll see, and I'm far from an NFL expert, but I like the possibilities.

The biggest downside I see is that unless they get really creative cap wise, this doesn't really allow them to bring in an impact WR. Possibly sign long term deals for Rodgers, Z'darius, and Adams. Then go sign Golladay. Could be a pretty solid team in that case.

Do the Packers really need an impact receiver?  I think they need more work on the defensive side of the ball.  It would be nice to have an ILB with some speed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2406 on: March 15, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
Do the Packers really need an impact receiver?  I think they need more work on the defensive side of the ball.  It would be nice to have an ILB with some speed.
Hopefully they address the defense now. I think they are ok at receiver. The bigger need is at cornerback, d line and middle linebacker.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2407 on: March 15, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »
Aaron Jones averaged 5.5 yards per carry last year. He is an effective receiver and he wants to be in Green Bay. I think this is a good move all the way around.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: March 15, 2021, 09:56:03 AM »
I'm split on the Jones signing. On one hand, I don't like tying up lots if cap space in the RB position.

On the other hand, Jones is a playmaker and letting him go would have created a hole on offense.

I really want to see the full contract structure before making a final judgment.

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: March 15, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
Hopefully they address the defense now. I think they are ok at receiver. The bigger need is at cornerback, d line and middle linebacker.

Not that he's a world beater but Devin Funchess opted out last year, so there's another body for the receiving corps.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2410 on: March 15, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Not surprising Jamaal Williams headed to Free Agency.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2411 on: March 15, 2021, 04:51:49 PM »
Corey Linsley headed to the Chargers.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: March 15, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »
Anytime you can let arguably the best center in football walk, while paying a 27 year old RB, nearly the same dollars as said all pro center in year 1, after you draft a RB in the second round the year before...ya gotta do it.

Comical.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: March 15, 2021, 08:32:41 PM »
Anytime you can let arguably the best center in football walk, while paying a 27 year old RB, nearly the same dollars as said all pro center in year 1, after you draft a RB in the second round the year before...ya gotta do it.

Comical.

Agreed. This was a poor move. Linsley > Jones

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: March 15, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
You’re hung up on this drafting a RB thing. It’s a total non issue. The Packers had 2 or more backs on the field more than any team in the NFL last season. They were certainly not going to be going into the season with Dillon as the only back with snaps on the Packers. So either they were drafting a back high after taking a back high last year, or they were bringing back a back after drafting a back high last year. And they’re very different backs. AJ is incredibly dynamic, on an offense with very few playmakers.

You can replace a center very easily, as the Packers showed when Linsley went out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: March 15, 2021, 08:38:09 PM »

Comical.

Anyone who has followed the Packers for the last year knew Linsley was gone.  They could never afford him.  I'm not defending the Jones contract, because I agree.  Never pay running backs.  There are bigger needs in GB than OL... and locking up a center for 5 years 62.5 mil.... I hope that the Chargers enjoy him.  Spend money on OTs, not centers.

But, for the record.  I'm FULLY on board with the fire Gute crowd.  I'd like to spearhead that operation.

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: March 15, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Yeah I’m not worried about Linsley at all. Jones was way more valuable but yeah that contract...

But no way they are going to dish out big bucks for a center. They never have.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: March 15, 2021, 08:39:07 PM »
Agreed. This was a poor move. Linsley > Jones

Linsley was never an option.  It was never and either or thing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2418 on: March 15, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
The team has a salary cap and they have to fit players into that into a relative value matrix . This incorporates talent and positional need .

My view is Aaron Jones was worth the money  . The Packers have a very solid backfield with one explosive guy and one grind it out guy. Packers need good running backs for a credible play action game.

Linemen can be found. The premium offensive line position is left tackle for which the Packers are paying up well.

The only problem the Packers had last year was their coach making a terrible play call on fourth and goal with the game on the line versus Tampa Bay
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2419 on: March 15, 2021, 11:23:05 PM »
You’re hung up on this drafting a RB thing. It’s a total non issue. The Packers had 2 or more backs on the field more than any team in the NFL last season. They were certainly not going to be going into the season with Dillon as the only back with snaps on the Packers. So either they were drafting a back high after taking a back high last year, or they were bringing back a back after drafting a back high last year. And they’re very different backs. AJ is incredibly dynamic, on an offense with very few playmakers.

You can replace a center very easily, as the Packers showed when Linsley went out.

Agreed. They don't want Jones as a 25 touches per game guy. They want it closer to 15-17. Having a good 2nd back is necessary for LaFluer's offense.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2420 on: March 16, 2021, 08:08:09 AM »

Comical.
Silly comment. You may not agree with it, but it is not as slam dunk and “comical” as you make it.  Linsley is approaching the wrong side of 30 and already has missed games with back issues. They have players on the roster that can replace Linsley now. Drafting a running back in the second last year has nothing to do with it. Le Fleur’s offense is based on running the ball. They need at least two good backs and Jones catches passes out of the back field and occasionally lines up wide.

You could make an argument either way, but its not like it’s clear cut as you make it out to be. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: March 16, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
Dalton to the Bears for 10 million.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: March 16, 2021, 04:16:30 PM »
Outside of him being Andy Dalton...THEY COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM A YEAR AGO...and not forfeited a 4th round pick for Foles.

Dumb/Stupid/Idiotic...I give up.

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: March 16, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
Hold on....$10 million?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2424 on: March 16, 2021, 04:25:49 PM »
Outside of him being Andy Dalton...THEY COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM A YEAR AGO...and not forfeited a 4th round pick for Foles.

Dumb/Stupid/Idiotic...I give up.

The Bears continue to make being a Bears fan increasingly difficult.