[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 259567 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2125 on: February 08, 2021, 12:34:59 PM »
You should be destroyed for this. A good portion of my posts are sarcasm and I get crap all the time. Some broad needs to slap you down (unless of course, that's your thing).

LMFAO

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: February 08, 2021, 12:37:32 PM »
Bucs were playing two deep safeties yet Chiefs refused to run the ball much in the first half. The pass rush was obviously getting to Mahomes, why not slow the pass rush down with the run and get the ball out quick on short routes.  No, they played right into to Bucs hands.

Absolutely agree on this take. The way the Chiefs came out running in the second half showed they recognized this failure. But they couldn’t continue doing  it very long because their defense wasn’t stopping Tampa.

Surprised Reid wasn’t better prepared. Maybe overconfident Mahomes and their passing game wouldn’t be stopped no matter the defense, his missing tackles, etc.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: February 08, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
I agree with those who thought Romo said a lot of dopey things ... and I really think Romo is a good analyst. He had a lot of time to fill last night!

Honestly, one of the more interesting -- and prescient -- things I heard Romo say was when KC got called for defensive holding the first time. He commented that the KC DBs  hold a lot and said, "let's look at the other side on that play and see what happened...see, there it is again..." (obviously paraphrasing). Whether you agree with the calls or not, Romo noted in the first quarter that the Chiefs' DBs tend to have a lot of contact with receivers and it became a big story in the game.  Now some might suggest that the fact that Romo noted it and the refs called seems extremely coincidental.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2128 on: February 08, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »

We seem to only do that for QBs, despite the fact that typically, the team that dominates the trenches wins. A QB is really only as good as his OL. Sure, some are genuinely more talented than others, but give an average NFL QB an elite OL, and they suddenly look MVP caliber.

This comes pretty close to describing Terry Bradshaw. Now he was well above average, but his 4 SB wins were as much a product of the Hall of Famers that protected and surrounded him as anything else. Mike Webster, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth. And that doesn't touch the incredible 'Steel Curtain' defense.

Yet if you just looked at SB wins, you might think he's the second best QB ever (tied with Montana). But he clearly isn't.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2129 on: February 08, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »
Honestly, one of the more interesting -- and prescient -- things I heard Romo say was when KC got called for defensive holding the first time. He commented that the KC DBs  hold a lot and said, "let's look at the other side on that play and see what happened...see, there it is again..." (obviously paraphrasing). Whether you agree with the calls or not, Romo noted in the first quarter that the Chiefs' DBs tend to have a lot of contact with receivers and it became a big story in the game.  Now some might suggest that the fact that Romo noted it and the refs called seems extremely coincidental.

I think part of the story is calling things in the SB. Historically it doesn't happen as often as other times. new England for example, in part won a few Super Bowls grabbing and holding a lot defensively that weren't called as often.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: February 08, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »

You're right. That was an excellent observation by Romo.

Brady completely got in Mathieu's head, too. By midway through the third quarter, Mathieu was so effed up he couldn't play as well as he usually does. Of course, the game was mostly over by then, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2131 on: February 08, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
Winston was heavily pressured all season last year, had 49 sacks.

Brady had all day, only 21 sacks. The OL was much improved.

I wanted to look at this a little more deeply.  Tampa's average "pocket time" actually decreased this year from 2.5 seconds to 2.4.

So I think that Brady gets the ball out faster.  And stats show he usually throws it shorter than Winston did last year.  (IDK if that is by coach's design or simply preference.)

So I think a lot of the OL's improvement is due to a quarterback that makes faster decisions and gets the ball out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:11:42 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:54 PM »
Super Bowl victories DO matter, especially for QBs. They are the leaders of their teams and the pace-setters of their offenses. Even back in Bob Griese's day -- when he threw 11 and 7 passes as the Dolphins went back-to-back in SB7 and SB8 -- he called the team's plays and made the offense "work." (Though it's notable that he wasn't in the MVP conversation either year, nor should he have been.)

So I think the fact that Brady has won 7 and Montana has won 4 are extremely meaningful in determining in where they rank among QBs all-time.

But SB wins would be less meaningful if they didn't also have great regular-season stats and great playoff performances that helped their teams get to Super Bowls. Bradshaw also won 4, and you rarely him mentioned even in the top 10 all-time. He's an obvious HoFer, but he didn't have the numbers to put him in the same conversation as the likes of Rodgers or Marino.

That Brady went to an entirely different system AT AGE 43, not to mention to a franchise that had mostly been a laughingstock and, in Year 1, led them to the championship ... that's pretty incredible. Talk about the defense and other factors all you want, but Brady absolutely set the tone and the expectations for the Bucs. Heck with winning a title ... TB couldn't have even imagined one without Brady. He made it all possible -- period.

Montana actually played very well KC after he was all but run out of San Fran to make room for Steve Young, just as Favre played superbly for the Vikings. But neither could get their new team to the promised land. Obviously wasn't all their fault (though lots was Favre's fault IMHO), but results are results.

Favre, Rodgers, Marino, Elway, Brees, Fouts, Kelly, Unitas and so many other stars were great great great QBs, obviously. But frankly, I don't see anybody particularly close to Brady. Accomplishments matter. Results matter. Sure, he benefited from those around him ... but lots of fine QBs had lots of fine talent around them and didn't win 2 SBs, let alone effen SEVEN.

As for Mahomes, he is a blast to watch and he's supremely talented. As others have noted, his postgame was class personified. He very well could win more titles -- or could win zero more. I mean, at the time Favre and Rodgers were winning the Super Bowl, is there anybody here who thought neither would ever win another?

It's HARD to win, no matter how good you are or the team around you is -- another reason Brady is by far the GOAT.

I agree with those who thought Romo said a lot of dopey things ... and I really think Romo is a good analyst. He had a lot of time to fill last night!

Mike

This is A+ analysis. Well done.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
You're right. That was an excellent observation by Romo.

Brady completely got in Mathieu's head, too. By midway through the third quarter, Mathieu was so effed up he couldn't play as well as he usually does. Of course, the game was mostly over by then, too.

Mathieu is also an All-Pro safety who plays a certain style all season, and suddenly in the SB, the refs tightened the collar on him out of nowhere, so that was a big factor.  If an elite perimeter defender in the NBA plays physical and hand checks and then is called for it aggressively and in an uncharacteristic way, he’s gonna be twisted up. Also, Mathieu got an ABSURD unsportsmanlike penalty for an altercation Brady started AND escalated, right after the terrible PI call in the end zone.  That’s some brutal officiating getting in his head more than Brady.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2134 on: February 08, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »
Mathieu is also an All-Pro safety who plays a certain style all season, and suddenly in the SB, the refs tightened the collar on him out of nowhere, so that was a big factor.  If an elite perimeter defender in the NBA plays physical and hand checks and then is called for it aggressively and in an uncharacteristic way, he’s gonna be twisted up. Also, Mathieu got an ABSURD unsportsmanlike penalty for an altercation Brady started AND escalated, right after the terrible PI call in the end zone.  That’s some brutal officiating getting in his head more than Brady.

Although I do think Brady got into his head, I agree that he was the victim of terrible officiating.

I am not one who likes to blame the refs for much, and I'm not gonna blame them for KC's loss here either, but they were very very bad last night, and KC was victimized by bad calls repeatedly. The NFL should be ashamed about it.

Part of me is glad that KC was so inept -- especially on both lines and in coaching -- that they saved the officials from being scrutinized even more closely.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: February 08, 2021, 02:54:42 PM »
Lol. I was already on record pointing out how lucky they had been this year. They had’t won a game by more than 6 points in more than 2 months before they covered against the Bills. You remember the Bills game, right? AFTER the game was over you came on Scoop bragging about the easy money you won. So are the Bucs now the best team you’ve ever seen? Lol.

Yeah, it was easy money.  Glad you showed up AFTER the game last night with your take on how the game went.  Very courageous.

And no, the Bucs beating a team without either starting left tackle and a quarterback going under the knife next this offseason doesn't do it for me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: February 08, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »
Yeah, it was easy money.  Glad you showed up AFTER the game last night with your take on how the game went.  Very courageous.

And no, the Bucs beating a team without either starting left tackle and a quarterback going under the knife next this offseason doesn't do it for me.

KC was unable to utilize their revolutionary double left tackle strategy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2137 on: February 08, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »
Seems weird when Mcauley is tweeting out during the game his confusion about the calls.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: February 08, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »

Was it me who came on Scoop bragging about how much easy money I made betting on a football game AFTER the game was over? No? That wasn’t me? It was who? You? Two weeks ago? Right.

And who was it that called the team that he bragged about betting on two weeks ago AFTER the game was over the best team he’d ever seen? Me? No? You again? And who pointed out then (before the Super Bowl) how lucky (rather than great) those Chiefs had been this year? You? No? Oh, that was me? Right.

And who is now claiming that all it took to reduce the greatest team he’d ever seen two weeks earlier into embarrassing cannon fodder for the Tampa Bay Bucs was the loss of one offensive lineman? You again?

Stay wrong. Stay stubborn. Don’t change, stay you.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:10:47 PM by Lennys Tap »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: February 08, 2021, 10:39:57 PM »
Was it me who came on Scoop bragging about how much easy money I made betting on a football game AFTER the game was over? No? That wasn’t me? It was who? You? Two weeks ago? Right.

And who was it that called the team that he bragged about betting on two weeks ago AFTER the game was over the best team he’d ever seen? Me? No? You again? And who pointed out then (before the Super Bowl) how lucky (rather than great) those Chiefs had been this year? You? No? Oh, that was me? Right.

And who is now claiming that all it took to reduce the greatest team he’d ever seen two weeks earlier into embarrassing cannon fodder for the Tampa Bay Bucs was the loss of one offensive lineman? You again?

Stay wrong. Stay stubborn. Don’t change, stay you.

One offensive lineman? They were missing both starting tackles. And the best player in the world is having surgery later this week.

But you’re right. Definitely didn’t affect the Chiefs. Who lucked their way to 14-2, with 1 of the losses being when they sat everyone in week 17 after the 1 seed was wrapped up. Nope didn’t affect them at all. Beat Tampa at Tampa when healthy. Smoked when not healthy.

And yeah I didn’t come around saying the Chiefs were awesome until after the AFC Title game. I only asked where I could bet on them going 19-0 because I thought they sucked all year.

Congrats on your win Lenny. You desperately needed one.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:46:30 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: February 09, 2021, 08:57:59 AM »
One offensive lineman? They were missing both starting tackles. And the best player in the world is having surgery later this week.

But you’re right. Definitely didn’t affect the Chiefs. Who lucked their way to 14-2, with 1 of the losses being when they sat everyone in week 17 after the 1 seed was wrapped up. Nope didn’t affect them at all. Beat Tampa at Tampa when healthy. Smoked when not healthy.

And yeah I didn’t come around saying the Chiefs were awesome until after the AFC Title game. I only asked where I could bet on them going 19-0 because I thought they sucked all year.

Congrats on your win Lenny. You desperately needed one.

I’m well aware that you were on “the greatest team I’ve ever seen” train early. First you said undefeated, then you said one loss. While they were going through a two and a half month period of never covering, never winning a game by more than 6 points, you were quiet. But after they beat and covered vs the Bills, you were back on the “greatest” team bandwagon. And they beat the Bills without one of those tackles for the entire game and the other one for part of it. So, it’s 100% true that they were down one (1) offensive lineman from the team whose greatness you reaffirmed after the AFC title game. Post season surgeries? I’m sure they’ll be multiple ones on both teams. That’s football. Bottom line, this was never a team for the ages. It was a very good team with some exciting playmakers and a great QB, cardiac kids who pulled out a bunch of close game throughout the 2nd half of the season. But not the greatest. Not even great.

Don’t admit the obvious (that you were wrong). Make excuses instead. And by all means get back to knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting and misinterpreting things I (and others) say. Whatever makes you happy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: February 09, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
Per ESPN Stats and Info, Mahomes was pressured on 29 of 56 dropbacks, the most of any quarterback in Super Bowl history. The Buccaneers sent extra pass rushers on just two of those plays.

He was under pressure in 2.5 seconds or less 43% of the time (24 plays), per Pro Football Focus. Mahomes accumulated 497 yards scrambling prior to throwing the ball or being sacked, according to Next Gen Stats. It was the most scramble yards in a game by any quarterback since 2016.

This is a cautionary tale to those teams who think that getting a QB - even one as talented as Deshaun Watson - guarantees anything. Hell, Watson had a great season in 2020 and the Texans still only went 4-12.

Brady was obviously the story in TB, but they only won because they improved the rest of the team. KC, without its OTs and with no pass rush of its own, couldn't protect Mahomes and couldn't get after Brady.

So sure, I'd love the Panthers to get Watson ... but they would have to give up so much, and they already have a sh!t offensive line. I don't see how they (or any team in a similar situation) would really benefit from making such a deal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: February 09, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »
I think the game turned positively for Tampa when they committed early to the running game. KC adjusted at half to commit to the running game and came out giving it to the Prince (successfully), but then went away from it...and it was too late.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:30:49 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: February 09, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
92 Million TV, 6 Million Streaming for Super Bowl. Numbers are down 9% overall. Regular Season waa down 7%. Streaming is up 65%.

It was the least watched Super Bowl since 2007.

(It's still 40-50 Million more than any other program for the year.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
92 Million TV, 6 Million Streaming for Super Bowl. Numbers are down 9% overall. Regular Season waa down 7%. Streaming is up 65%.

It was the least watched Super Bowl since 2007.

(It's still 40-50 Million more than any other program for the year.)

Do we know how many viewers turned away after halftime or after the game became a blowout?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: February 09, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
Do we know how many viewers turned away after halftime or after the game became a blowout?

I don’t have that but I believe a lopsided game, (most lopsided score in 18 years I believe) was in part a factor for the ratings decline. Pandemic, poor weather many places, story lines, lots of opportunity to put up a bit better numbers than it did.

The Pandemic and Streaming have changed viewing habits as well.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2146 on: February 09, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm also not sure how big a draw Tampa is even with Brady. Maybe I'm wrong...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2147 on: February 09, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »
I’m well aware that you were on “the greatest team I’ve ever seen” train early. First you said undefeated, then you said one loss. While they were going through a two and a half month period of never covering, never winning a game by more than 6 points, you were quiet. But after they beat and covered vs the Bills, you were back on the “greatest” team bandwagon. And they beat the Bills without one of those tackles for the entire game and the other one for part of it. So, it’s 100% true that they were down one (1) offensive lineman from the team whose greatness you reaffirmed after the AFC title game. Post season surgeries? I’m sure they’ll be multiple ones on both teams. That’s football. Bottom line, this was never a team for the ages. It was a very good team with some exciting playmakers and a great QB, cardiac kids who pulled out a bunch of close game throughout the 2nd half of the season. But not the greatest. Not even great.

Don’t admit the obvious (that you were wrong). Make excuses instead. And by all means get back to knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting and misinterpreting things I (and others) say. Whatever makes you happy.

Got it, so you're sticking with the fact that injuries didn't affect the outcome of the game.  Good stuff as always Lenny!

Also, was it you who said, "As Al Davis says, 'Just cover baby!'"

Not sure what's I "knowingly and intentionally misrepresented and misrepresented things you (and others) say."  But sorry I hurt your feelings!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: February 09, 2021, 11:45:01 AM »
Per ESPN Stats and Info, Mahomes was pressured on 29 of 56 dropbacks, the most of any quarterback in Super Bowl history. The Buccaneers sent extra pass rushers on just two of those plays.

He was under pressure in 2.5 seconds or less 43% of the time (24 plays), per Pro Football Focus. Mahomes accumulated 497 yards scrambling prior to throwing the ball or being sacked, according to Next Gen Stats. It was the most scramble yards in a game by any quarterback since 2016.

This is a cautionary tale to those teams who think that getting a QB - even one as talented as Deshaun Watson - guarantees anything. Hell, Watson had a great season in 2020 and the Texans still only went 4-12.

Brady was obviously the story in TB, but they only won because they improved the rest of the team. KC, without its OTs and with no pass rush of its own, couldn't protect Mahomes and couldn't get after Brady.

So sure, I'd love the Panthers to get Watson ... but they would have to give up so much, and they already have a sh!t offensive line. I don't see how they (or any team in a similar situation) would really benefit from making such a deal.

At least it had nothing to do with their injured offensive line, or so I've heard here.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2149 on: February 09, 2021, 02:42:51 PM »
Lots of big parties reducing the number of screens, hey?

feedback