'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart... Doc Rivers involved?  (Read 37631 times)

Crispy

• Walk-On
Re: Shaka Smart... Doc Rivers involved?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
And no, I'm not a troll even though this is my first post; I have been reading Scoop for years, am a longtime fan and season ticket holder and bleed Blue and Gold through and through!

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
Howland has just won too much at a major conference level to not be the top choice.  But he is not glamorous, that's for sure.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
Question.  Does anyone think that Shaka is just biding his time until Bo Ryan retires?  Could be why he would be willing to stay put at VCU?

No, from all accounts I had heard, he is not a big fan of Madison even though he grew up there.  I think if he came back to the state MU is much more up his alley.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
Just spoke with a friend of mine, someone close to the VCU program...he spoke with someone high up in San Diego after the game this weekend and is very, very confident that Smart is staying put.

I'm all in for Howland.

Telling.  San Diego is what, two hours from the Staples Center?

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
No, man.  Even if they win yesterday, it doesn't change my opinion.  I like Shaka, I truly do.  But, IMO he has yet to show that he is the wunderkind that everyone makes him out to be.
If Shaka's detractors truly, truly understood the position our program was in just five short years ago and then viewed the state of it now in comparison, there would be no question as to how talented he is. Our defensive philosophy has been called a gimmick etc. but those are hollow words. Fans and donators want results at the end of the day. He has delivered. How do you take an under-funded mid-major program that no one cares about at a school with little in the way of facilities and alumni support to the next level? You inject an element of chaos. The branding and cheesy crap that comes along with it are just necessary evils.

Sorry, not trying to nitpick. I suppose it depends on your definition of wunderkind. I think there are certainly some concerns that are valid, such as that he is completely unproven at a higher level etc.

Telling.  San Diego is what, two hours from the Staples Center?
VCU's first round game was in San Diego, so that is largely what I was referring to.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:32:08 PM by Wisco »

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
I think Shaka would be perfect for a city team in a good conference, and MU fits that bill.  I don't necessarily think he's as sexy as everyone thinks from a national standpoint but if he's interested you simply cannot turn him down.  He'd be a fantastic recruiter here and he can flat out coach.

I still have a soft spot for Howland as I think he's as professional as they come and my hunch is he'd be here for the long haul.  If he's truly as interested as the pundits are making it sound, I don't think you can go wrong with him.  As I said above, though, you simply cannot turn down Smart if he wants the job.

Doc Rivers is a fascinating wild card candidate - it just doesn't sound realistic to me.  I don't buy that he's realistically interested in coaching at the college level.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
Just spoke with a friend of mine, someone close to the VCU program...he spoke with someone high up in San Diego after the game this weekend and is very, very confident that Smart is staying put.

I'm all in for Howland.

I think you're probably right.
Then again, 60 hours ago people here were very, very confident Buzz wasn't going to VaTech.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
I think Shaka would be perfect for a city team in a good conference, and MU fits that bill.  I don't necessarily think he's as sexy as everyone thinks from a national standpoint but if he's interested you simply cannot turn him down.  He'd be a fantastic recruiter here and he can flat out coach.

I still have a soft spot for Howland as I think he's as professional as they come and my hunch is he'd be here for the long haul.  If he's truly as interested as the pundits are making it sound, I don't think you can go wrong with him.  As I said above, though, you simply cannot turn down Smart if he wants the job.

Doc Rivers is a fascinating wild card candidate - it just doesn't sound realistic to me.  I don't buy that he's realistically interested in coaching at the college level.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I took "Doc involved" to mean that Doc has called Smart, or as I alluded to above, Doc is having lunch with him as we speak.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I took "Doc involved" to mean that Doc has called Smart, or as I alluded to above, Doc is having lunch with him as we speak.

I get that, and maybe I'm reading it wrong.  But I always think MU is going to look first to Doc to see if there is any way he is interested in being a head coach here.  I have absolutely no knowledge regarding whether that's a realistic possibility but I have to think we are constantly gauging his interest in situations like this.

brandx

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
Yeah, he just got out coached the other night. All glamour and limited coaching ability.

No, a freshman made a huge mistake, in the final seconds. He has done what he has done sans 4 & 5 star guys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
There is zero doubt Smart would appeal to recruits

Yes he would

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
Bullseye responded to someone that the Doc part was as a part of the hiring process, not as a candidate for the position.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

Vcu played in San Diego on friday night, right?  A Doc-Shaka lunch in SoCal i suppose is possible.  But then again, don't teams usually have to fly back immediately after losing ala Steve Fisher's comments?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »

Doc is in legitimate competition for a NBA title this year and the next few years, he's going to stay in the pros. 

Agree with pretty much everything else you are saying above.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Trust me, you'll get over it.

He might bring some recruits with him.

Murray, the key to this chit is recruitin'. You and I could coach these cats if we had a roster of Burger Boys, aina? Smart will recruit, trust me on this one.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
Duane Wilson retweeted a comment hoping Shaka comes to MU.  I believe he'd have cache with our current signees or other interested recruits....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Howland is in LA like Doc.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
Well when does MU break good news? We all know bad news is friday afternoon.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
Well when does MU break good news? We all know bad news is friday afternoon.

Great question...been awhile since we've had any.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Great question...been awhile since we've had any.

Depending which way you look at it, we had pretty good news on Friday.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »

Murray, the key to this chit is recruitin'. You and I could coach these cats if we had a roster of Burger Boys, aina? Smart will recruit, trust me on this one.

Did you watch the Kansas game?
Are you watching the Kentucky game?
Recruiting is huge, but you can't just throw a bunch of McDonald's AAs on the court and come back with a national title.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »

If we get Howland, Smart, or Marshall, Friday's news was great.  Some of the other guys mentioned, not so much.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
If we get Howland, Smart, or Marshall, Friday's news was great.  Some of the other guys mentioned, not so much.

I wouldn't limit it to those three.  From what we're hearing things seem to be looking up.  I'll remain optimistic.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
No, from all accounts I had heard, he is not a big fan of Madison even though he grew up there.  I think if he came back to the state MU is much more up his alley.

Yep.  Waiting for Roy, K, etc. to retire, sure.  He did not enjoy growing up near Madison.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
How dare you slam the Buzzster like that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback