'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart... Doc Rivers involved?  (Read 37630 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
Shaka Smart... Doc Rivers involved?
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Posted 30 minutes ago on twitter...

@prepbullseye: Am hearing Doc Rivers could very well be involved in the Marquette coaching search & things are moving fast. Hope to have updates later.

Followed up with the below tweet 3min ago...

@prepbullseye: Alright--now that it's out there I can say that at this time there is plenty of reason to believe that Shaka Smart is Marquette's #1 choice.

This is Roy Schmidt's account.  I believe he posts on scoop every so often.  

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart... Doc Rivers involved?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
If true, holy crap, amazing.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
Would be awesome...and believe it could happen.  No reason MU wouldn't have extended the offer to Howland if it felt they could land someone of equal or better stature...which to me says the Shaka ball definitely was/is still in the air..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
Giddyyy Up!!

I don't care if it's wishful thinking, this crap can be fun.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Would be fantastic and no doubt MU is interested, but nothing about either tweet suggests the interest is mutual.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Would be fantastic and no doubt MU is interested, but nothing about either tweet suggests the interest is mutual.

Can't control things from the other side but as long as MU is looking into it, I'm pumped.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Mostly agree, but in a reply to an MU grad asking, "is there ANY chance that he would take that job?", Roy replied...

@prepbullseye: @jwelge96 Absolutely but that doesn't mean that it is a done deal & I don't believe it is.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »
Should we be surprised that Fr. Wild might have asked Glen to call Shaka and take his temperature?  I have more faith in Bob than to have missed that step.

Let this play out.  I think we'll have a great coach in 2-3 days.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
Yeah, he just got out coached the other night. All glamour and limited coaching ability.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
Yeah, he just got out coached the other night. All glamour and limited coaching ability.

Maaaaan, I gotta say that this is my hunch, too.  He is definitely a solid coach, but is he that great?  Is he NC great?  Color me hesitant.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
Maaaaan, I gotta say that this is my hunch, too.  He is definitely a solid coach, but is he that great?  Is he NC great?  Color me hesitant.

Trust me, you'll get over it.

He might bring some recruits with him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »

Usually agree with your takes Eldon...but Smart can flat out coach...SF Austin is no slouch of a team..29 game winning streak coming into that game...and VCU players missed a number of FTs down the stretch..and the dumb foul the player made on 3 point shooter...coaches can only do so much.  His track record at a school like VCU speaks for itself..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »

Pretty silly statement in a one and done tourney.  I'd take Shaka in a heartbeat.  Very young coach, good recruiter, passionate, and a homerun hire.  Also would qualm any apprehensions as MU being a top-level program again.  Shaka has said no to numerous big time programs, including Ucla.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »

If your only criteria for a hire is that the coach won their final game before the job offer, your list would be mighty short.

This board is so strange sometimes.  One thread has people claiming that we can't attract a big name without an AD and president, then another thread has people claiming we're too good for the hottest young coaching candidate in the game.  I am so unbelievably glad that this board isn't responsible for hiring the next coach.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
There is zero doubt Smart would appeal to recruits

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 03:09:35 PM »
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
If it's Smart you have to put a HUGE buyout in his contract.

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »

It's not my money.  ;D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »

I think you just worry about getting him to sign on the line that is dotted....no high pressure bs.   Shaka to MU would be huge publicity for the program.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
Just spoke with a friend of mine, someone close to the VCU program...he spoke with someone high up in San Diego after the game this weekend and is very, very confident that Smart is staying put.

I'm all in for Howland.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:17:03 PM by Wisco »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »
There is zero doubt Smart would appeal to recruits

This is true. It makes the decision between Howland and Smart (assuming both interested), very difficult.

Howland has the pedigree and a proven track record of winning in big conferences. He is a big name and will definitely add legitimacy to Marquette's program by agreeing to coach here. He has great passion that I am sure has been re-energized by a year away. However, he is a bit less current to recruits, despite having on left UCLA a short while ago.

On the other hand, Shaka is a big, fresh and current name for recruits. Bringing him to Marquette when he has turned down others also adds legitimacy to the program. He plays and exciting brand of basketball. The downside is, we have all seen hot young coaches fizzle out later (Keno Davis, anyone?). He doesn't have the proven track record at a big time school.

Both have appeal. It will be interesting to see what direction MU goes, assuming both are available and interested.

Marshall seems like a good third option, although there is something about him that just makes me put him a step below Howland and Smart. Maybe not as dynamic as Smart and not as much pedigree as Howland. Who knows? I will say, his record this year and the great records at Winthrop do speak volumes about his abilities as the head man.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
If your only criteria for a hire is that the coach won their final game before the job offer, your list would be mighty short.

This board is so strange sometimes.  One thread has people claiming that we can't attract a big name without an AD and president, then another thread has people claiming we're too good for the hottest young coaching candidate in the game.  I am so unbelievably glad that this board isn't responsible for hiring the next coach.

No, man.  Even if they win yesterday, it doesn't change my opinion.  I like Shaka, I truly do.  But, IMO he has yet to show that he is the wunderkind that everyone makes him out to be.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Should we be surprised that Fr. Wild might have asked Glen to call Shaka and take his temperature?  I have more faith in Bob than to have missed that step.

Let this play out.  I think we'll have a great coach in 2-3 days.

Isn't it Glenn?  ;D
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Crispy

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Question.  Does anyone think that Shaka is just biding his time until Bo Ryan retires?  Could be why he would be willing to stay put at VCU?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
Fr. Wild might have asked Glen to call Shaka and take his temperature?
Let's hope he phrased it differently.

feedback