[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU's consistency since joining the Big East...  (Read 5126 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
MU's consistency since joining the Big East...
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
We may have not been in the Big East title hunt every year, but it's impressive how consistently good MU has been since joining.

Assuming Pitt and Nova miss the NCAA's (and we make the field), Marquette will be the only Big East school to have made the NCAA's every year since the present-day BE formed in 05-06.

Here's the list for consecutive tourney appearances... http://mcubed.net/ncaab/strkr64c.shtml

1    Kansas                  22 years - 1990..2011
2    Duke                     16 years - 1996..2011
3    Michigan State        14 years - 1998..2011
4    Gonzaga                 13 years - 1999..2011
4    Texas                    13 years - 1999..2011
4    Wisconsin               13 years - 1999..2011
7    Pittsburgh               10 years - 2002..2011
8    Villanova                7 years - 2005..2011
9    Marquette               6 years - 2006..2011
9    Tennessee              6 years - 2006..2011
9    Texas A&M              6 years - 2006..2011

If Texas also misses the field with Pitt and Nova, MU would have the 6th longest NCAA streak. 

Here's to enjoying the ride...

jmayer1

• All American
Re: MU's consistency since joining the Big East...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
We may have not been in the Big East title hunt every year, but it's impressive how consistently good MU has been since joining.

Assuming Pitt and Nova miss the NCAA's (and we make the field), Marquette will be the only Big East school to have made the NCAA's every year since the present-day BE formed in 05-06.

Here's the list for consecutive tourney appearances... http://mcubed.net/ncaab/strkr64c.shtml

1    Kansas                  22 years - 1990..2011
2    Duke                     16 years - 1996..2011
3    Michigan State        14 years - 1998..2011
4    Gonzaga                 13 years - 1999..2011
4    Texas                    13 years - 1999..2011
4    Wisconsin               13 years - 1999..2011
7    Pittsburgh               10 years - 2002..2011
8    Villanova                7 years - 2005..2011
9    Marquette               6 years - 2006..2011
9    Tennessee              6 years - 2006..2011
9    Texas A&M              6 years - 2006..2011

If Texas also misses the field with Pitt and Nova, MU would have the 6th longest NCAA streak. 

Here's to enjoying the ride...

Tennessee and Texas A&M also likely to miss field this year, breaking their ties with MU.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
Had Marquette won one more conference game last season, MU and PITT would be the only teams this season to have won 10 games every year in the modern Big East.

Marquette's streak ended last season and I'm assuming PITT's will end this year.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
Had Marquette won one more conference game last season, MU and PITT would be the only teams this season to have won 10 games every year in the modern Big East.

Marquette's streak ended last season and I'm assuming PITT's will end this year.

On that note... does anyone know how we rank in the BE for total BE wins in the last 6 years?  I imagine we would have to be top 3 on that list as well.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
On that note... does anyone know how we rank in the BE for total BE wins in the last 6 years?  I imagine we would have to be top 3 on that list as well.

Surprisingly only tied for 7th.  Thanks to the Louisville board who put together a compilation... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2755&t=8604623

Apologies to the MU Insider board where I found the Louisville link.  If these stats were compiled by the MU Insiders, I wouldn't post this link... thought it's okay to share since it's on the free Lou board.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
From the Louisville Board ....

Big East regular season overall record 2005-06 through 1/21/12:

Team   W   L   Pct
1. Pittsburgh   75   36   0.676
2. Louisville   74   37   0.667
3. Syracuse   71   41   0.634
4. Georgetown   71   41   0.634
5. West Virginia   70   41   0.631
6. Villanova   70   42   0.625
7. Connecticut   68   43   0.613
8. Marquette   68   43   0.613
9. Notre Dame   67   44   0.604

10. Cincinnati   49   62   0.441
11. Seton Hall   47   64   0.423
12. St. John's   43   69   0.384
13. Providence   38   73   0.342
14. Rutgers   28   83   0.252
15. South Florida   27   83   0.245
16. DePaul   23   87   0.209
-----

Yes we are tied for 7th but note 3rd to 9th (bolded) are only separated by 4 games.  We can pass a few teams before the end of the year.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Is anyone else shocked to see that even over 7 seasons, DePaul has still somehow managed to win 23 Big East games?
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
Is anyone else shocked to see that even over 7 seasons, DePaul has still somehow managed to win 23 Big East games?
No because 3 or 4 conference wins per year isn't very many.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
No because 3 or 4 conference wins per year isn't very many.

They were good (like .500, 8 or 9 wins) in '05 or '06.  That helped them a lot. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Seeing the demise of Pitt this year shows how thin the "Margin for Error" ,as Buzz would say, is in the BE.  A down year recruiting, or the wrong guy gets hurt and things can fall apart in a hurry.  MU is building the kind of consistency that I honestly did not think was possible for us to acheive as a private college in a world dominated by the big state football schools.  It would not have surprised anybody outside of Milwaukee if MU's career Big East record would have been more like Seton Hall's.  Enjoy the ride.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
I was looking at the Providence message board trying to find a stream for the last game and there was a really humorous post about how they should get to a point to "consistently beat MU."

I get the impression that a lot of people don't realize how successful MU has been in the BEAST.  It's damn impressive.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
I think what hurts MU's reputation for consistency is we might be the only BE team in the top 9 that has not finished in the top 4 in any year.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
I think what hurts MU's reputation for consistency is we might be the only BE team in the top 9 that has not finished in the top 4 in any year.

I think we finished top 4 in '05-'06.  I remembered getting what was the crucial single bye at the time then falling to G'Town

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

I was trying to put my finger on it .. you did.  We're in the top half, but only by being consistently a bride's maid.

I'd be curious to see that table with NCAA wins as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
I was trying to put my finger on it .. you did.  We're in the top half, but only by being consistently a bride's maid.

I'd be curious to see that table with NCAA wins as well.

Yes, always a bridesmaid but never the maid of honor or the bride. 

Even if we finished in the top 4 six years, as noted above, my point still stands.  We are a good team but never a great team.  So, those that only half pay attention (which is almost everyone) thinks we are no different than Providence, Cincy, St. Johns or Seton Hall.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »

I often wondered why Depaul was invited and not Memphis.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »
If MU makes the Big Dance this season under Buzz, he will have been...
  • Only the second coach in MU's history to take a team to four straight NCAA appearances
  • The only MU coach whose teams have made the tourney his first four years

I cannot wait for the litmus test fifth year.   ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
If MU makes the Big Dance this season under Buzz, he will have been...
  • Only the second coach in MU's history to take a team to four straight NCAA appearances
  • The only MU coach whose teams have made the tourney his first four years

I cannot wait for the litmus test fifth year.   ;D

+1 bail bond

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
So, those that only half pay attention (which is almost everyone) thinks we are no different than Providence, Cincy, St. Johns or Seton Hall.

It may feel that way to us sometimes, but I completely disagree with this statement. 

I travel just about weekly across the US... whenever the conversation comes to Marquette with even a remotely casual fan, the first thing out of everyone's mouth is "Yeah, you guys are always making the tournament.  I always see you on my brackets."  Have even heard, "You guys get in the sw16 just about every other year, right?"

Simple fact is that everyone fills out brackets... even if people don't follow college hoops, there's a good chance they filled out a bracket on espn.com for a freeroll at $50k, a TV, or even just bragging rights at the office. 

Being in the tourney 9 of the last 11 years, makes a difference in the casual fan's perception.  They have to make a conscience decision whether to pick MU each year, and that resonates with them.  They rarely see PC, Cincy, STJ, or SHU on their free bracket.

Disclaimer... Not sure how long this perception has been out there, but I have heard it consistently for at least a couple years from many people in different parts of the US. 

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
It may feel that way to us sometimes, but I completely disagree with this statement. 

I travel just about weekly across the US... whenever the conversation comes to Marquette with even a remotely casual fan, the first thing out of everyone's mouth is "Yeah, you guys are always making the tournament.  I always see you on my brackets."  Have even heard, "You guys get in the sw16 just about every other year, right?"

Simple fact is that everyone fills out brackets... even if people don't follow college hoops, there's a good chance they filled out a bracket on espn.com for a freeroll at $50k, a TV, or even just bragging rights at the office. 

Being in the tourney 9 of the last 11 years, makes a difference in the casual fan's perception.  They have to make a conscience decision whether to pick MU each year, and that resonates with them.  They rarely see PC, Cincy, STJ, or SHU on their free bracket.

Disclaimer... Not sure how long this perception has been out there, but I have heard it consistently for at least a couple years from many people in different parts of the US. 

Think you are on the money with the fact that people need to think about MU each year (if only for about two seconds) while filling out a bracket. Makes a bigger difference than we probably recognize amongst the general American public.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
Similar to Gonzaga, Xavier, etc. Small school gets in the tourney every year, makes some noise every few, all helps to make an good impression.

Not to mention, those inside the sport respect Buzz's coaching style and think his teams are tough and hard working. When was the last time you didn't hear that mentioned on a broadcast?

To compare w SH, Prov, Cincy is silly, tournament berths are all that matters and we have lots to their little.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

Simple fact is that everyone fills out brackets...
couldn't agree more.  perhaps both arguments/thoughts are correct, depending on if the casual fan follows the BEAST or not.  i couldn't tell you who won the B10, ACC, etc. in years past, but i can remember or recognize a college based upon its NCAA success/appearance. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
My argument was in response to the Providence comment that they should consistently beat MU.  I was arguing that since we have not been a top 4 team, but very consistent nevertheless, a causal BE fan, like from SH, SJU, and Prov might conclude they should consistently beat us.

Only BE fans paying attention really know this is not true.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »

I hear the same stuff. And even last year I knew we had a draw capable of playing into the second weekend but as a fan I was weary of our inconsistent play. Yet, I knew loads of ppl who didnt hesitate to pick us over even syrcause as their upset pick based soley off seeing us in every year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
Marquette is the perennial "dangerous" team .. the "dark horse" .. the "stealth" team.   All that means is that on a good day, we could beat anyone.   Could win 3, could be bounced after one.     

Code words for "inconsistent."