[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Blog: "Washington (and its fans) feeling confident"  (Read 5069 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
ESPN Blog: "Washington (and its fans) feeling confident"
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:30:07 AM »
Nothing earth shattering here, but it should be a great atmosphere for the junkyard dogs.  I really like our team's mentality this year... they seem to play everyone tough on the road no matter the environment.  Here's to adding to their toughness.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/7025/washington-and-its-fans-feeling-confident

Washington should see a good number of its Dawg Pack fans at their first round game against Marquette. Even though it's the East Regional, the game is in San Jose, Calif., which is a shorter trip from Seattle than even the Huskies' conference tournament site in Los Angeles.

It's not as close as Spokane might have been, but the San Francisco Bay Area is only a two-hour drive from where star Quincy Pondexter is from in Fresno. San Jose might as well be a backyard for Washington compared to where Marquette is coming from.

"Been to that area," Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar told reporters. "Familiar with that area. We're pleased with that.

"Given the fact that we were an 11 seed, we can't complain at all going to San Jose."

Washington could have very well have been an NIT team if it hadn't beaten Cal in the Pac-10 title game, but also being quoted on the school's Web site is one of its confident fans.

"I think we have a pretty good road with New Mexico after we beat Marquette, so I'm looking forward to that," James Garnet said.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:34:34 AM by wardle2wade »

timinatorx3

• Starter
Re: ESPN Blog: "Washington (and its fans) feeling confident"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:33:31 AM »
bulletin board

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:06:06 AM »
Are these guys serious? 

They are the 11 seed and would not have been an at-large bid.  They don't have much that hurts us.  They don't have a big guard or a dominant scoring big man. 

Our record would have been just as good if we played the schedule they had played.  I cannot imagine them beating Nova or winning on the road against Seton Hall or Cincy. 

They have some talent, but should not be overlooking the six seed they drew.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
No offense, but if we were a bubble team and won the BE tournament, we'd be feeling pretty confident now too.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
If UW had won the Big East tournament, that would be an accomplishment worthy of some confidence.  They didn't.  They won the PAC10 tourney.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »
If UW had won the Big East tournament, that would be an accomplishment worthy of some confidence.  They didn't.  They won the PAC10 tourney.

My point is, they won their conference tournament.  They put together three solid wins in a row.  Just like MU did a few years ago when they won the CUSA tournament.  I remember feeling really confident...only to flame out against Providence.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »

+1

I for one like that they are overconfident and hope that the team is feeling the same way too.  That confidence can be shatterred easily with a quick MU run to start the game.  I don't see this UW team as battle tested as the teams that we see in the Big East every night.  I recall watching the saturday game that UW hosted ESPN's Gameday earlier in the season.......just atrocious!  ESPN really swung and missed on that one!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:50 AM »
 Let them be overconfident, MU has learned not to take anyone lightly be just playing the Big East regular season schedule. The Pac-10 is cupcake city galore. If they think there just gonna walk all over us then I can't wait to see their reaction when they don't. Will be a close game though, but there not getting a lot of respect because of the weakness of the Pac-10 so they have something to prove.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:05 AM »
Why are people ripping on UW?  I don't get it.  This is a 50-50 game.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
 I dont think people are necessarily ripping on UW yet pointing out (in their opinions) how we match up and that UW has the right to be confident but in that blog it states that WHEN we beat Marquette.

I don't mind confidence by an opposing teams fan, if by that he says, "It'll be a tough game but we match up well," in other words they feel they can beat us. From that blog its almost as if there looking past us, which most people are pointing out as a mistake and a little bit cocky.

All I've stated is that they STILL have something to prove given that the Pac-10 wasn't strong, which is a scary thing in itself.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »
Neither side should feel confident.   If our big 3(Hayward, Butler, DJO) come to play we can beat a lot of teams and should beat UW.

If they don't we will probably lose.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
Why are people ripping on UW?  I don't get it.  This is a 50-50 game.

+1,  We should be ripping on ESPN bias once again. They rarely and may I say reluctanty give props to the small Cathoic schools in major conferences (Exception Notre Dame). The reason is demographics. The advertising dollars are not there. So why not hype UWashington. Larger fan base and PAC 10 under represented this year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
+1,  We should be ripping on ESPN bias once again. They rarely and may I say reluctanty give props to the small Cathoic schools in major conferences (Exception Notre Dame). The reason is demographics. The advertising dollars are not there. So why not hype UWashington. Larger fan base and PAC 10 under represented this year.

We just got a butt load of pub on Espn the past week.  They were really ripping us over there.   ::)

If we're going all out on conspiracy theories UW and Pac10 are fox entities so ESPN should be ignoring them. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
In the end .. if we have a bad day shooting, and are under our average, missing 3s, etc, we lose.  If our shooting is average, we win.

Could go either way, really.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »
I think MU has a slight advantage heading into this game, but neither team should go in overconfident.  Both should like their chances which should lead to an interesting and fun game until the heart-stopping final minutes - just like every other Marquette game.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
I like Buzz's approach.

We're the underdogs.  We're playing a team that was ranked pre-season and just won their conference tournament.  We're playing a Pac 10 team in Pac 10 country.

and +1 on AlumKCof93

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
The only thing in this article that sounds cocky is the quote from James Garnet.  Who is not the coach nor a player.  Is he just a fan? 

The coach just said it was nice that they are playing on the west coast.  Little thin to read overconfidence into.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
My bulletin board comment was referring to the "I think we have a pretty good road with New Mexico after we beat Marquette, so I'm looking forward to that.". That reeks of overconfidence and is insulting, although I don't know who James Garnet is either, so I guess the quote may be meaningless...

EDIT: OK so without looking too closely he is a UW fan so it is meaningless. Sorry, still recovering from Saturday I guess.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:44:55 PM by timinatorx3 »

Spoooky

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »
My bulletin board comment was referring to the "I think we have a pretty good road with New Mexico after we beat Marquette, so I'm looking forward to that.". That reeks of overconfidence and is insulting, although I don't know who James Garnet is either, so I guess the quote may be meaningless...

EDIT: OK so without looking too closely he is a UW fan so it is meaningless. Sorry, still recovering from Saturday I guess.

Exactly.  Getting all worked up over some drunk Dawg Pack fan is probably a bad idea.

I haven't seen any overconfidence from UW.  As a fan, I'm glad that we didn't get matched up with a team that plays some pace-crushing zone, or a team filled with 6'11" guys (That's how USC crushed us twice, they were just too big).  I think it's going to be a great game, and Vegas seems to agree.  Anyone running their mouth about an easy win is an idiot.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
San Jose is as far from Washington as Milwaukee is from New Orleans. It is no close at all.

I know I'm biased, but claiming there is some kind of home court advantage is ridiculous.
We Are Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
San Jose is as far from Washington as Milwaukee is from New Orleans. It is no close at all.

I know I'm biased, but claiming there is some kind of home court advantage is ridiculous.

That's good to know and I hope it won't be all UW but Utah State was 650 mi from anaheim and they dominated last year despite the distance.

UW has an enrollment of 40,000.   I'm sure some alums have ambled on over to California.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:38:49 PM by Stone Cold »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
UW has an enrollment of 40,000.   I'm sure some alums have ambled on over to California.

Not only that, but its PAC 10 country.  I am as worried about this game as I was against any of the last 5 games in conference.  I don't think its a lock but I think we have played consistently better than UW.  Also, we have showed that we can win games without shooting 50% from 3.  If we shoot 50% from 3, we win.  If we don't, its a coin flip.  And that's why I like our odds.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

It's not the distance, it's that they have conference brethren there.  Milwaukee is far away from Washington, D.C., but because Georgetown is in our conference you would expect some locals in D.C. to cheer for us.

Washington has a ton of alums in the Bay Area so we'll see how it shakes out.  Certainly more UW alums there than MU alums.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »

I'm have a bias too (went to SD, Anaheim, and Boise games), but to think that they don't have a homecourt edge is "ridiculous".  I posted the below in a different thread...

--------------------------------------------

The only times which MU had the crowd at these West Coast sites were at the end of the MU-Mizzou game (because we cameback and we're getting effed by the zebras) and the MU-Kentucky game (because everyone seems to hate UK).

1) Wash has a lot of out-of-state undergrads who come from northern Cali every year.  They have roots there.
2) Moreover, the ones who aren't from NorCal end up finding jobs and relocating to the area after graduating anyways.
3) Pac 10 fans will support their own.  They did in Anaheim wholeheartedly.
4) For the average hoops fan at the HP Pavilion, they will relate to Wash much more than a school from Milwaukee.  Much like Boise State did for Utah State and we will root for Xavier when they come to Milwaukee.
5) We're the favorite as the 6 seed, and neutral fans always like the underdog. New Mex and Montana fans will be rooting for the underdog so their team (albeit they have to win) would have an easier time to the sweet 16.

Like someone mentioned before, I like our chances... we've played in some very brutal environments this year and it does not seem to phase this team as much as it did during the 3 amigos squads.  Maybe that's just my perception.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
In the comments section for the blog, some of the postings are pretty ridiculous.  I think this one takes the cake:
In response to someone who said "Marquette's going to roll":

"You mean roll over or get rolled?

Last game: Mar 12, Georgetown Hoyas 80 - Marquette Golden Eagles 57

GT is the real deal, you aren't."

While I'm very happy with our seeding, I realize that this game is going to be an all-out battle.  I just find it funny that this guy thinks we're going to get it handed to us simply because of one lopsided loss where the team finally ran out of gas after three straight games.  Anyway, I agree with some of the other posters here that fans who think their team is going to have a cakewalk (MU or UW) might want to re-evaluate their thinking.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

Please. Nova, ND, Gtwn getting tons of Pub. Win and you get publicity. Not much to talk about for MU when Gtwn blew our doors off.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
It's not the distance, it's that they have conference brethren there.  Milwaukee is far away from Washington, D.C., but because Georgetown is in our conference you would expect some locals in D.C. to cheer for us.

Washington has a ton of alums in the Bay Area so we'll see how it shakes out.  Certainly more UW alums there than MU alums.

San Jose is an 90 minute Alaska Air flight from Seattle.  There will be plenty of Husky fans in San Jose.  I am sure that my flight will be loaded with purple and gold.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
Should be a tight game, but it is not home game for UW.  They have struggled away from home, their best true road win was at Oregon, who is 137 in the RPI - roughly equivalent to our win at Providence.  Granted they did beat Cal in the conference tournament but it was their third try against them.

Interesting tidbit on the CBS site on why Washington has what it takes to pull off an upset (or two).  What other team does this sound like?

"They're from Big Six conferences, have tourney-tested coaches, decent momentum and good scoring balance between their guards and big men."