[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette will be no worse than 8-2 over next 10 games!  (Read 8361 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette will be no worse than 8-2 over next 10 games!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:19 AM »
OK, I think we can have some serious challenges with the following games. Especially if we don't "shoot the lights out" that night.
Pitt at home. They might have lost a couple and not be the team the national people thought but they are still athletic and can beat us if we don't show up that day.
Louisville at home. The Cardinals are always a challenge for us and just might be the best team in the Big East. Very athletic.
N D away. Team coming of age and we have our problems on their court.
Nova away. They'll want to even the score on their floor.
De Paul away. Should really be a "home" road game but we gave them their first conference win of the season there last time. Remember?? Gotta show up and play smart. They, too, might be coming of age.

Would LOVE to go 8-2 in the last ten but don't think we will. Really like Buz and he gets the most out of his guys and they play hard, but have their limitations which will bear out in a tough, long conference schedule. We don't really shoot well and aren't particularly strong in the middle. We are a very nice team but not a top 15 club............

So you think we are going to lose to Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame, Villanova, and DePaul. I'm not going to say any of those couldn't happen. Sure, they all could. But I doubt all five will happen. Honestly, I think that SHU is a bigger threat than Pitt, 'Nova, or DePaul. Even on our own court.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
If this team plays up to its potential, 10-0 is very plus I have to imagine buzz has their attention after the last four games. I think 7-3 or 8-2 are most likely. Outside of Syracuse, anyone can beat anyone in this conference this year. Having our toughest games at home in this stretch should help us out a lot.

It's a real tribute to Buzz's coaching that anyone can talk about this team going on a 10 game win streak in the Big East and not be considered in lulu land.  We'll probably finish fifth in the Big East with, at best, the eighth best team from a recruiting standpoint.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
I don't "think" we are going to lose to the teams I selected but I think they are teams who can cause us some trouble along the way.  Great teams go 10-0, 8-2 and I don't think we are a great team. A very good one but not great. Are we better than last year's team? Not sure, but don't think so. We have our weaknesses and need some definite improvement in some areas, for sure.

Am a great fan and would like great success but am trying not to look through "rose colored glasses" at this team and evaluate it as it is and what we have.

If I, or anyone else here, was better at predictions, we'd all be in a different line of work, for sure.
This team's fun to watch and plays in exciting games... let's enjoy that....
Gonna win some and gonna lose some along the way.....
Enjoy the journey, not the destination.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
You said we will very likely go 5-5. You were asked which five teams we will lose to and that was your answer. Now you are saying you don't think we'll lose, but could have trouble? Which is it? Will we go 5-5 with those 5 losses, or go 7-3 with a couple tough wins. I don't think anyone is saying we'll get 8+ wins with an average victory margin of 25, but saying that we're going to lose to Pitt and DePaul and saying we'll have trouble with Pitt and DePaul are completely different things.

I personally think we go 8-2 or 9-1. I think we lose at ND and slip up in another (probably Louisville or 'Nova). But I do think we beat Pitt, DePaul, and Seton Hall. Probably all by 9 or less, but I still think those are games we should win.

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
I think we go 5-5 down the stretch but exactly which games we win and lose is impossible for me to even try to guess. I said the 5 games I chose would be "very challenging" for different reasons but I in know way can guarantee  a win or loss, or even a record over time. It's just a feel I have for having the seen the team play at the BC and on TV, Buzz's style and the type of team we have.

We've just lost 4 of 6 and I don't see us getting red hot over the next ten games, period. our team has limitations that get exposed in the long. tough Big East schedule.

I am not right and you wrong for how we feel the stretch is going to go. Just our opinions, which can be different, which is OK. That's what makes participating here fun.

Like I said, if any of us were spot on with our predictions we be in a different line of work, for sure.
I'll be there tomorrow night and see how we do..............

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
Bump.

Good call on 8-2, but a touch pessimistic.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »
axaguy failed miserably.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:47 AM »
axaguy failed miserably.

He did, but this guy was pretty well off, too ;)

7-3 at best

probs 6-4. We will have letdowns.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
Kudos to those who picked 8-2 and 9-1.  To think we didn't have Gardner for half of those games as well.  Incredible accomplishment.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
My thoughts on the next 10...

St. John's: They did just beat Cincy on the road, but coming off two losses, we won't be overlooking anyone. We should win.
Pittsburgh: Their D sucks and they can't get to the line. But they'll break out of this losing streak at some point. I'm not sure if I want them to beat Rutgers Wednesday or not...they don't need any momentum. Another win
Louisville: On paper it's our toughest game. And it's Loserville. On national TV. Either we'll break their hearts or they'll break ours. B@stards.
Providence: They woke up against GTown, but still lost by 9. Must-win road game.
South Florida: At home? Their size could be problematic, but they just aren't very good. Win
Villanova: During 'Nova's 3-8 slump, what surprises me most is that they have lost 6 of those by double-digits. They will start to play better at some point, hopefully in February. Not positive of a win.
Seton Hall: Of all the games we shouldn't lose at home, this one worries me most. Pope and Theodore are solid. This is no gimme.
Notre Dame: Lost in our "taking on #1" hype, did anyone else notice the Irish beat Louisville on the road? And mini-Harangody has put up 4 double-doubles in their last 7 games. And they're unbeatable at the Joyce. ND on the road could be Syracuse's first loss...that's probably a loss.
DePaul: Yeah, they beat Pitt, they aren't as bad as they once were, but this is another must-win roadie.
Cincinnati: At home we have to get this one...but with no Otule, they're a very tough match-up.

Wins: St. John's, Pitt, USF
We'd better win: Providence, DePaul, Cincy
We should win: Villanova, Seton Hall
Flip a coin: Louisville, Notre Dame

Anything less than 8-2 and I'll be disappointed, but I have a lot less confidence after seeing Otule's done for the year. If we're 6-4 during this stretch, I'll be looking ahead to next year.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
He did, but this guy was pretty well off, too ;)

Very true, but my knack for pessimism should come as no surprise  ;D. At least I didnt name the teams wed get beat by.

But actually brew your picks were pretty impressive. Not only were you right about the only loss but you said Pitt, Hall and DePaul would all be troublesome and less than 9 pts( Only DePaul wasnt but they gave us a scare for a while) and UL/Nova were probably our closest slip ups....especially Nova. So good call.

Now, How we gona do in the next 5 so I don't have to worry about it to much  :)
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »
Credit where it's due, copious - 9-1. Never would have thought it could happen with no center - maybe all that practice Buzz got being small a few years ago helped. BE coach of year will prob be Brey, less likely Thompson, but Buzz deserves to at least be in the conversation.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »

I personally think we go 8-2 or 9-1. I think we lose at ND and slip up in another (probably Louisville or 'Nova). But I do think we beat Pitt, DePaul, and Seton Hall. Probably all by 9 or less, but I still think those are games we should win.

Nice job Brew.  I think on another thread you also said 14-4.  I, for one said 14-4 really?  We are going to have to get big production from guys playing out of position, bench, etc.

Well, hats off to you, even though you were off on our 15-3 BE record.

...and I know that we are not at 14-4 yet scoopers.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Credit where it's due, copious - 9-1. Never would have thought it could happen with no center - maybe all that practice Buzz got being small a few years ago helped.

Thanks, appreciate it.  I felt good about the 3 game homestand to start it and thought we may lose @Nova and @ND.  It's great to actually be 1 game too pessimistic and see MU #2 in the standings.  

feedback