[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ore-gone (21-7 against non 1-2 seeds)  (Read 5095 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Ore-gone (21-7 against non 1-2 seeds)
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
He has a very wiry frame, he is actually pretty muscle-y already when you look at him. I think he will put on some weight for sure but he's always going to be a wiry guy (sorry IDK how else to put it). I think normal seasoning will do just fine with him, he just needs to keep working hard, play within the system, and pick up on the nuances.

GE is the one that really needs to hit the weights, in my mind.

Neither Greg nor Jamal have the frame that Sacar does. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
My buddy ran a little late so we ended up one row off the roof. It was still really loud. I don't remember the BC being that loud since Jake Thomas' and-one three against Syracuse.

I know we won't play home games at the Al, but I think it's worth considering a 10,000 seat venue on campus. We'd have 7 years to raise funds and erect it. Build it to last so MU can keep all the revenue and only use the Silk for big games and weekends.

Almost makes one wish we could have held out for more funds to make the Al McGuire center a legitimate on campus arena when built.  Believe it was $32M to build.  I've only been in Al one time, but as I understand it there are two levels/basketball courts?  Any chance to re-engineer it to just one basketball court, add seats, get capacity up near 6-8K, and roll with your above plan?  Perhaps ticket prices for games at Al could be higher (as the experience would be much better/more intimate?)

From what I read surrounding MU's negotiations to play at the new arena in MKE, it sounded as though the relationship between MU and Bucks brass was luke warm at best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
I know we won't play home games at the Al, but I think it's worth considering a 10,000 seat venue on campus. We'd have 7 years to raise funds and erect it. Build it to last so MU can keep all the revenue and only use the Silk for big games and weekends.

This.

It's a shame we couldn't have built a legit on-campus arena to hold 8000-10000. You can always play a few of the big games at the NBA arena, just as other teams with on-campus arenas do.

Might never happen, but a boy can dream ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
Today was the day I realized the potential of Jamal Cain.  He went up for two rebounds and I believe his head was near the rim.  He has a nice shooting stroke.  Of course he needs to put on some weight, but if he can cure his hands of stone, stop getting bit nervous when he gets a pass (moves those feet) and works on dribbling/passing skills, he will see substantial time next year.  Those are things a player can actually work on and improve.

I've been seeing this all season.  Jamal's ceiling is Jimmy Butler, but he may be more athletic than ever Jimmy was.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »
If MUBB Brass really cared about winning (instead of $$) we'd play every home game in the Al.

Holy sh*t....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
This.

It's a shame we couldn't have built a legit on-campus arena to hold 8000-10000. You can always play a few of the big games at the NBA arena, just as other teams with on-campus arenas do.

Might never happen, but a boy can dream ...

STH group is 10,000 is not more. MU would have to choose to give up revenue for an on campus arena.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »
1.  M*A*S*H* unit out there.  Long year, lots of minutes, lots of guys gutting it out.   Some moron said this team had no heart.   
2.  Cain has so much potential.   A couple of glaring holes in his game at the moment.  Hands.  Passing.
3.  Officiating did affect the outcome.    In this game, MU literally could not play defense without getting called for fouling.    Very frustrating.  The record will show that MU gave up 92 points.    MU played much better than that when it still mattered. 
4.  The first half was a clinic.  Thank you, Oregon, for pressing.   
5.  The extra practices are paying off for the freshmen.    All had really good moments today.   
6.  Is it possible that Marquette is actually a pretty good team, just not strong enough, with all of the young guys, to physically compete in the Big East.   Just want to toss that out there. 
7.   Beat Penn State!
Apology accepted

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
STH group is 10,000 is not more. MU would have to choose to give up revenue for an on campus arena.

That number is going to shrink in future years, just the way live sports is going. I think a 10,000 seat on campus arena while still playing a few games a year in Silk Exotic Center would be a very good situation if we could find the money. This is dependent on the Mecca being shutdown of course.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
1.  M*A*S*H* unit out there.  Long year, lots of minutes, lots of guys gutting it out.   Some moron said this team had no heart.   
2.  Cain has so much potential.   A couple of glaring holes in his game at the moment.  Hands.  Passing.
3.  Officiating did affect the outcome.    In this game, MU literally could not play defense without getting called for fouling.    Very frustrating.  The record will show that MU gave up 92 points.    MU played much better than that when it still mattered. 
4.  The first half was a clinic.  Thank you, Oregon, for pressing.   
5.  The extra practices are paying off for the freshmen.    All had really good moments today.   
6.  Is it possible that Marquette is actually a pretty good team, just not strong enough, with all of the young guys, to physically compete in the Big East.   Just want to toss that out there. 
7.   Beat Penn State!

8.  The Marquette Men's Lacrosse team need to attend every future home game.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
The environment at the Al was amped up far beyond the Harvard game (which was still pretty good IMHO). Marquette fans took full advantage of the metal bleachers, stomping their approval after big plays so that the place literally shook. One of the loudest, most fun games I've attended in a while.

Rowsey led the way, but great contributions on both ends from the entire roster.  Matt, Theo and Harry had their hands full with McIntosh. I thought their combined defense against him was better than his stats might indicate. (18 free throws? Seriously?) And they managed to put up a collective 17 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocked shots. Not bad for the three-headed monster.

Markus delivered a relatively quiet 18 points. Sacar had one of his strongest games, looking both aggressive and in control. Oregon looked completely frustrated after giving up 84 points through 3 quarters. A noble effort at the end, but nowhere near enough.

Bring on Penn State.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

1SE

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 02:44:15 AM »
Sometimes things can be teal even when they're not in teal.

But the less teal side was predicated on my misconception that the Al held more like 5,000 instead of 3,500. Yes of course that's still unfeasible, but much closer to places like the Pav.

The bigger point (going back to the home-game thread) is that the BC hasn't at all been an intimidating place to play under Wojo. Our home record has been atrocious. Can't help but wonder if we don't pick up a few more Ws this year (and the past few) if we played them all at the Al. That's the difference between 3 NCAAs and 1 NCAA in 5 years.

A 10,000 seater on campus seems like it should be a very viable option. I doubt revenues would fall that much for most game - supply is restricted so you raise prices a bit. Again, if you have a sure-fire 18,000 seat sell out pay the blood money for the big house. Gotta be some big-time donors out there who either want to be the name of MUBB (or want to stay anonymous and give it some MU-honorific).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
Sometimes things can be teal even when they're not in teal.

But the less teal side was predicated on my misconception that the Al held more like 5,000 instead of 3,500. Yes of course that's still unfeasible, but much closer to places like the Pav.

The bigger point (going back to the home-game thread) is that the BC hasn't at all been an intimidating place to play under Wojo. Our home record has been atrocious. Can't help but wonder if we don't pick up a few more Ws this year (and the past few) if we played them all at the Al. That's the difference between 3 NCAAs and 1 NCAA in 5 years.

A 10,000 seater on campus seems like it should be a very viable option. I doubt revenues would fall that much for most game - supply is restricted so you raise prices a bit. Again, if you have a sure-fire 18,000 seat sell out pay the blood money for the big house. Gotta be some big-time donors out there who either want to be the name of MUBB (or want to stay anonymous and give it some MU-honorific).

Can't sell beer if the stadium is on campus, gotta factor that in too

connie

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 07:04:50 AM »
Its nice to dream, but the economics would seem to be against it. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »

I thought that was true. But Butler now sells beer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »

Not true. The NCAA did away with that rule years ago, Marquette just chooses not to at the Al.

As far as lost revenue, I actually think they would end up making more or at least breaking even once the new venue was paid off. Sure, it's 10,000 seats instead of 17,000 but there's no rent to worry about. You keep all the ticket money, concession money, everything. And if you build it right, an old school building without many of the bells and whistles that will stand for a century, you keep on keeping the revenue long after the BC, the Silk, the Biff Tannen Memorial Sports Complex, and the Spaceley Sprockets Megadome have all been reduced to rubble.

And honestly, I think actual in the seats attendance would go up. That atmosphere yesterday was electric. It is very hard to match that at the BC. A shorter walk may also help student attendance.

I feel like it's pie in the sky, but I don't think it's as impossible as some might think.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »

#FakeNews
#Lies
#AntiBirras
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
Getting back to the game I would just like to point out the incredible improvement that Theo has has from the start of the year.

Remember this was a kid who could barely log double digit minutes because he would foul out in 10.  His fouls per 40 min was off the charts.  He threw the ball in the general direction of the hoop a couple times, which were technically shots, and he was about a 40% free throw shooter through the non-conference.

Yesterday, he played 17 very valuable minutes, only logged 3 fouls, when it seemed like everybody had either 4 or 5, was very calm and composed when facing a shot clock running down, and nailed both his free throws.  Most improved during the year hands down.  I still expect that Matt will start next year, because he's still a better defender, but Theo will likely be logging the most minutes at center, and the way we'll be able to space the floor, he will be able to take his time and get the 5 foot baby hook whenever he wants.  This is exactly why you take whatever postseason you can get.  Huge experience for the almost sophomore. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
Great post, DJOver. Between the potential for matchup adjustments, foul trouble or injuries, greater depth in the front court should be a real strength next season. Theo will have a big part to play.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:12 PM »
If MUBB Brass really cared about winning (instead of $$) we'd play every home game in the Al.
Scoop Takes worthy.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »
Getting back to the game I would just like to point out the incredible improvement that Theo has has from the start of the year.

Remember this was a kid who could barely log double digit minutes because he would foul out in 10.  His fouls per 40 min was off the charts.  He threw the ball in the general direction of the hoop a couple times, which were technically shots, and he was about a 40% free throw shooter through the non-conference.

Yesterday, he played 17 very valuable minutes, only logged 3 fouls, when it seemed like everybody had either 4 or 5, was very calm and composed when facing a shot clock running down, and nailed both his free throws.  Most improved during the year hands down.  I still expect that Matt will start next year, because he's still a better defender, but Theo will likely be logging the most minutes at center, and the way we'll be able to space the floor, he will be able to take his time and get the 5 foot baby hook whenever he wants.  This is exactly why you take whatever postseason you can get.  Huge experience for the almost sophomore.

Ridiculous. Saying such a thing would be suggesting that Wojo and his assistants ever do more than de-motivate their players. Shame on you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback