'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka shaken; Wojo whipped  (Read 12265 times)

MU82

• All American
Shaka shaken; Wojo whipped
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Legends Classic:

Northwestern 77, Texas 58

Colorado 68, Texas 54

Those must be typos, given that Shaka Smart couldn't possibly have lost those two games.

I mean, can you imagine what Scoopers would be saying if, in a preseason tournament, Wojo's Warriors had gotten smoked by an unranked Big Ten team in the opener and then had lost the third-place game to an unranked team that was picked to finish in the middle of the pack in its league?

Wait ... we don't have to imagine it? Numerous Scoopers were declaring our season over after 4 games and saying Wojo had to go? Come on! That can't be true!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Shaka shaken; Wojo whipped
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »
The heck you say.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
Yeah but Shaka looked good losing those games
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Legends Classic:

Colorado 68, Texas 54

Those must be typos, given that Shaka Smart couldn't possibly have lost those two games.

I mean, can you imagine what Scoopers would be saying if, in a preseason tournament, Wojo's Warriors had gotten smoked by an unranked Big Ten team in the opener and then had lost the third-place game to an unranked team that was picked to finish in the middle of the pack in its league?

Wait ... we don't have to imagine it? Numerous Scoopers were declaring our season over after 4 games and saying Wojo had to go? Come on! That can't be true!

Is Shaka coming off of two underwhelming seasons? Did he consistently struggle to make adjustments when the opposition went on a run? Was his team making the same mistakes and having the same breakdowns as in years past? Is the development of his players seemingly minimal up to this point?

I'm not calling for Wojo's head in any way, shape, or form. Simply pointing out that there's more to it than losing a couple of games.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
was thinking the same thing.  while i'm not overly thrilled with wojo...not sure who else we could have hired and been feeling much better about at this point. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »
MU82

Did you forget to use teal?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »
Is Shaka coming off of two underwhelming seasons? Did he consistently struggle to make adjustments when the opposition went on a run? Was his team making the same mistakes and having the same breakdowns as in years past? Is the development of his players seemingly minimal up to this point?

I'm not calling for Wojo's head in any way, shape, or form. Simply pointing out that there's more to it than losing a couple of games.

not sure there is anything other than winning or losing...when you say there's more to it than losing a few games...you couldn't be more correct, but i don't think there is anyone on this board that understands what the "more to it" means for MU over the last few years and how wojo has done in those areas.  i'm sure there's more to it than wojo failing to make adjustments, making the same mistakes, and failing to develop players. i don't agree with you on all of that, but when i do see areas of concern, my first thought is the guy hung out at duke/usa basketball for years.  he probably has an idea on how to develop talent, we might be seeing the same mistakes as he is unwilling to compromise long term growth for short term gains, and two years of underwhelming performance is really difficult to define when looking at comparable situations in the ncaa.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
Legends Classic:

Colorado 68, Texas 54

+1
Fear makes you dumb.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
MU82

Forgot? probably not

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »
MU82

Moi?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Shakaned but not stirred.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
Shaka now 5-5.  Can't coach a lick, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
Northwestern isn't a bad loss to be fair, I think NU may be better than MU at the moment.

Interesting to see what Texas does in Big 12 play. Down year for the conference in comparison to what it has been recently.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:19:46 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
They have losses to Northwestern, Colorado, UT-Arlington, Michigan, and Arkansas. Their wins are Incarnate Word, Louisiana Monroe, Eastern Washington, Alabama, and Long Beach State. They might be better than us, but they certainly have worse losses and worse wins than we do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
They have losses to Northwestern, Colorado, UT-Arlington, Michigan, and Arkansas. Their wins are Incarnate Word, Louisiana Monroe, Eastern Washington, Alabama, and Long Beach State. They might be better than us, but they certainly have worse losses and worse wins than we do.

Sorry, meant Northwestern is better than NU, not Texas. Bad phrasing/grammar.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »

Marquette got absolutely smoked by Michigan. Texas lost to Michigan in the last seconds of the game.

Texas also lost to UT-Arlington, who recently beat #12 SMC by double digits, SMC was undefeated. I don't see how any of their losses are "certainly worse", those are all quality teams.

As much as we are all homers here, I think we'd all be pretty satisfied with Shaka as the coach. He was the more qualified hire and would have brought more excitement to MU.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »
Shaka now 5-5.  Can't coach a lick, ai'na?

Came into season ranked and expectations were of a solid group. Seems the coach has missed all the buttons to put them into a mediocre position heading into conference play.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
Marquette got absolutely smoked by Michigan. Texas lost to Michigan in the last seconds of the game.

Texas also lost to UT-Arlington, who recently beat #12 SMC by double digits, SMC was undefeated. I don't see how any of their losses are "certainly worse", those are all quality teams.

As much as we are all homers here, I think we'd all be pretty satisfied with Shaka as the coach. He was the more qualified hire and would have brought more excitement to MU.

UT Arlington, Michigan, Arkansas, Colorado, and Northwesern or Pitt, Michigan, and Wisconsin...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »
UT Arlington, Michigan, Arkansas, Colorado, and Northwesern or Pitt, Michigan, and Wisconsin...

Georgia, Vanderbilt, Fresno State, IUPUI, or Alabama, Long Beach State...uhh, Eastern Michigan?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
Georgia, Vanderbilt, Fresno State, IUPUI, or Alabama, Long Beach State...uhh, Eastern Michigan?

Exactly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »
I don't think the point was to say that Wojo is better than Shaka.  Just that rebuilds are hard and Shaka would have struggled here too.  He's not a magic bullet. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
Sorry, meant Northwestern is better than NU, not Texas. Bad phrasing/grammar.

Ahh that makes sense. Will be interesting to see how they do against Dayton *since we obviously already beat them*.

I don't think the point was to say that Wojo is better than Shaka.  Just that rebuilds are hard and Shaka would have struggled here too.  He's not a magic bullet. 

True.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
Shaka's wife wears the pants, for that reason alone, I'd rather have wojo.

Wojo>shaka
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
Shaka's wife wears the pants, for that reason alone, I'd rather have wojo.

Wojo>shaka

Good call.