* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 252947 times)

hoops12

• Starter
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #750 on: July 10, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
I want this stadium to be built to keep the Bucks in Wisconsin, but even more for what it can do for Marquette's basketball program. However, to say that someone's comment has a political slant when it is actually a fact is ridiculous. FACT - Public Education was cut by $300 million and $250 million is being asked for from the taxpayers to build the stadium. That's not political, it is actually a fact. There is no disputing that - it's not an opinion whatsoever.

GO MU!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #751 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:40 PM »
Just because money was cut from one place and is being spent somewhere else doesn't mean it's related.

The primary source of recompense for the Bucks arena is the $200M in jock tax the state will get in the next 20 years. Without the Bucks, that money won't exist. Not for the arena, not for education, not for roads, not for anything. It will just be gone. That doesn't mean education money is going to the arena. That's a false narrative.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #752 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:47 PM »
Just because money was cut from one place and is being spent somewhere else doesn't mean it's related.

The primary source of recompense for the Bucks arena is the $200M in jock tax the state will get in the next 20 years. Without the Bucks, that money won't exist. Not for the arena, not for education, not for roads, not for anything. It will just be gone. That doesn't mean education money is going to the arena. That's a false narrative.

Your understanding of finance is stunningly terrible.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #753 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
The political threads are ruining this board. It prejudices peoples opinions based on the political lean of the poster.

It's not what is said, it's who says the what.....been that way here forever

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #754 on: July 10, 2015, 11:56:45 PM »

On Dodds' board...if you dare say anything...against building...a new arena...you'll get banned...

Death on call

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #755 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:50 AM »

Where in my post did I say that education money was being cut so the arena could be funded? I didn't! I said it's a fact that $300 million dollars was cut from public education and they are asking for taxpayers to fund $250 million for the arena. That's just factual information. Don't try to slant what I wrote. Build it! GO MU!

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #756 on: July 11, 2015, 06:53:33 AM »
I've said it on other boards and I'll say it on this one.  If the state tax payers can fund $37 million for 100 year plus building renovations at UW-Stout (Harvey and Bowman Halls) and $50 million for an athletic building (Knowles Center) on the UW-River Falls campus, there should be $80 million for an arena that will kick money back to the state and will not only keep jobs, but add jobs in Milwaukee. Maybe most importantly, keep Milwaukee as a major league city and Wisconsin in the news in a positive way.  Can't keep losing jobs and companies, especially for this amount of money.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #757 on: July 11, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #758 on: July 11, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
I've said it on other boards...and I'll say it on this one.  If the state tax payers...can fund $37 million...for 100 year plus building renovations at...UW-Stout...(Harvey and Bowman Halls)...and $50 million...for an athletic building...(Knowles Center)...on the UW-River Falls campus...there should be $80 million...for an arena...that will kick money back...to the state...and will not only keep jobs...but add jobs...in Milwaukee...

Coming from...an unimpeachable journalist...like Ted Baxter...we should put...UW Stout's buildings...in a blender...with UW River Falls arena...and give the Bucks...their new facility...Win Win...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Since folks are such big John Oliver fans around here
« Reply #759 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »
He weighs in on Public Stadium financing

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #760 on: July 13, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs</a>

Bucks are mentioned at about 9:30.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #761 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
Just going to leave this here...
Yup....it's (John Oliver's show) just a cut and paste shat show now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #762 on: July 13, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
Also, worth noting, the Bucks aren't threatening to leave. Without a new stadium, the NBA will buy the team back and move them. That isn't a threat from the Bucks, it's a threat from the league.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #763 on: July 13, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »

so the jock tax is BS?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #764 on: July 13, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »

Can you tell us what is so wrong about it?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #765 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Can you tell us what is so wrong about it?

His issue is more likely with the poster than the post. Hence why his was the first name back on my new ignore list.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #766 on: July 13, 2015, 01:47:23 PM »
Also, worth noting, the Bucks aren't threatening to leave. Without a new stadium, the NBA will buy the team back and move them. That isn't a threat from the Bucks, it's a threat from the league.

Well...cmon.  They did that so that the new owners wouldn't look like the bad guys. 

Look, I want this thing done, but Oliver is right about one thing.  Stop overselling the economic impact. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #767 on: July 13, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Well...cmon.  They did that so that the new owners wouldn't look like the bad guys. 

Look, I want this thing done, but Oliver is right about one thing.  Stop overselling the economic impact.

Which is why you'll note I haven't pushed the economic impact aspect. Could this revitalize downtown? Sure. Will it? No idea. But I do know that downtown is in need of revitalization and no one else is signing up for the role.

The economic impact is that worst case scenario, funding this arena will be close to break even for the state. It likely won't be a source of deliverance for downtown or Wisconsin, but it also won't be some fiscal anchor that drags the state down. The reality is almost always somewhere in the middle, and when it comes to this plan, the middle is a pretty darn good place to be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #768 on: July 13, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
Which is why you'll note I haven't pushed the economic impact aspect. Could this revitalize downtown? Sure. Will it? No idea. But I do know that downtown is in need of revitalization and no one else is signing up for the role.

The economic impact is that worst case scenario, funding this arena will be close to break even for the state. It likely won't be a source of deliverance for downtown or Wisconsin, but it also won't be some fiscal anchor that drags the state down. The reality is almost always somewhere in the middle, and when it comes to this plan, the middle is a pretty darn good place to be.

Yep.  Agreed on all counts.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #769 on: July 13, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
The NBA did not put that deal in place, Herb Kohl put the poison pill in the sale to make sure the new owners did everything possible to keep the team in MKE.  Figure they are in for 750Mil to purchase the team and 200 mil in stadium funding.  IF the NBA buys it back and then moves the team to SEattle, my guess is the it could be close to $1.5 bil to buy the team. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #770 on: July 13, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »
The NBA did not put that deal in place, Herb Kohl put the poison pill in the sale to make sure the new owners did everything possible to keep the team in MKE.  Figure they are in for 750Mil to purchase the team and 200 mil in stadium funding.  IF the NBA buys it back and then moves the team to SEattle, my guess is the it could be close to $1.5 bil to buy the team. 

Under $1b, Seattle or Vegas will be waiting with an arena.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #771 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »
Under $1b, Seattle or Vegas will be waiting with an arena.

Hopefully waiting until long after our arena is built ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #772 on: July 13, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
His issue is more likely with the poster than the post. Hence why his was the first name back on my new ignore list.

No, you don't know sh1t about finance. And who cares who you ignore.

Death on call

source?

• All American
Re: Since folks are such big John Oliver fans around here
« Reply #773 on: July 13, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »

Well, if we can't rely on comedians for our advice who can we count on? I hear George Carlin, greatest comedian of our time, believed there was no God. Good to know for sure.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Since folks are such big John Oliver fans around here
« Reply #774 on: July 13, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
Well, if we can't rely on comedians for our advice who can we count on? I hear George Carlin, greatest comedian of our time, believed there was no God. Good to know for sure.

Oliver actually points out a number of uncomfortable economic truths. Communities needing a sports franchise to help them define themselves need more than new arenas.

Death on call