[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:48:54 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: throwing it out there--- what if we didnt have james  (Read 7903 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
throwing it out there--- what if we didnt have james
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »
i would like to see what you all think:

What if we didnt have james for any reason
- he didnt come here
- he leaves
- he hurts himself

Are we deep enough to where we wouldnt be hurt that badly or do you think he is the glue that holds this offense together?

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Gwaki

• All American
Re: throwing it out there--- what if we didnt have james
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
 I don't think he is the glue that holds us together.  I know he is.  When he is on the court he is a threat to all of teh teams that play us.  We need him to play and to make smart decisions.  I know a lot of people hate him but they are going with the crowd. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
Dude...I know your a new user, but this horse was run over by a mac truck last year and while DJ was testing the NBA...

Nonetheless, we're better with James, even if we are disappointed by him at times.  'nuff said.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:24 AM »
When James is on, he can take us to another level that Acker, Cube or practically any other replacement on our roster this year or next can't do.  While last year James was off more than on.  This year he has been on more than off.  We will miss him a lot when he leaves.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
DJ is the one guy on the team who can elevate his game to a near NBA level and put the team on his back and carry them.    See the Valpo game last year.   JM is a warrior, but he can't carry the team for a half or more.   This year, we have the depth where we can win a game or two, even in the BEast without him, but if we want to go deep in the BEast, the BEast tourney, or the big dance, we need him to be playing well.    If he goes after this year, we will miss him.   His return this year probably bumped our pre-season ranking 8-10 slots.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
While Dom may have good or bad shooting nights, he almost always has an excellent defensive night.

Don't overlook how much Dom's defense means to this team as well.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »
Wes Matthews at Point / Forward, or maybe Trevor at point forward ala M Jax

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
We wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

BTW, I have never understood when people make signs and such like your nickname. It doesn't make any sense. You see signs like Brett Favre Who? Tam Brady Who? Randy Moss Who? Jay Bilas Who? Shoudln't it just be Jay Who? If you know his first and last name, you know who he is.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »
Wes Matthews at Point / Forward, or maybe Trevor at point forward ala M Jax

I was actually talking to someone last night that maybe they should let him (Matthews) play a little bit of PG here and there as a means to maybe get him a bit more involved.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:40:12 AM »
Jay Bilas always does his reasearch on teams and players and provides a pretty good insight on the game.  Not to mention is a huge supporter of Marquette.  I'm just wondering is there a reason you dislike Jay?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
DJ is the one guy on the team who can elevate his game to a near NBA level and put the team on his back and carry them.   

I disagree with this premise. James is far too limited offensively to carry a team. His value is in his explosiveness, which should lead to open opportunities for others. He simply does not have the skill set to be a top "go to" type scorer. Wade obviously did. Diener did. Novak was iffy in this regard. None of our "Big Three" do.

We wouldn't be as good without James because he forces teams to account for him. But he's not a dominant force.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
Tam Brady Who?
Good question ... who IS Tam Brady?  ;D

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
DJ can be a dominant force.  I do not know why or when, but we have seen it.  The Duke game last year was won primarily by DJ.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
We would be much worse off without him.  I don't keep track of plus/minus, but his must be the best on the team.  We seem to lose ground whenever he sits.  Hayward is much the same in this regard.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
DJ can be a dominant force.  I do not know why or when, but we have seen it.  The Duke game last year was won primarily by DJ.

His belief that he can be a dominant force is what gets him into trouble. I do think he played OK last night, though.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
I have done my fair share of beating this dead horse but here I go again... we are likely to confront the situation of no James next year.  I think we will be about as good as this year but not because of James leaving but because the team may be more balanced.    

Leaving will be:
Ooze
Fitz
James
TB

Arriving will be:
Trevor
TT
Otule
Fulce
NW

I think the new bigs will contribute more by the end of next season than Fitz, Ooze and Trend by the end of this season.  TT and NW have very good potential but will probably not be huge contributors at the get go.  That being said, they could be doing some damage too by the end of the season.  We have two adequate point guards in Reece and DC so the "1" is covered for 2 more seasons.   We will have a more than adequate guard core and our recruiting class stays in tact.  

I do not like the situation if he stays.  Who has to go in that case?  I wish him the best but I think the team is best off if he goes pro at the end of this season.  

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
I have done my fair share of beating this dead horse but here I go again... we are likely to confront the situation of no James next year.  I think we will be about as good as this year but not because of James leaving but because the team may be more balanced.    

Leaving will be:
Ooze
Fitz
James
TB

Arriving will be:
Trevor
TT
Otule
Fulce
NW

I think the new bigs will contribute more by the end of next season than Fitz, Ooze and Trend by the end of this season.  TT and NW have very good potential but will probably not be huge contributors at the get go.  That being said, they could be doing some damage too by the end of the season.  We have two adequate point guards in Reece and DC so the "1" is covered for 2 more seasons.   We will have a more than adequate guard core and our recruiting class stays in tact.  

I do not like the situation if he stays.  Who has to go in that case?  I wish him the best but I think the team is best off if he goes pro at the end of this season.  

I understand what your saying, but I think you're nuts, and you underestimate the positive impact a guy with that combination of talent, experience, strength, speed and athleticism has. As far as balance goes, James' presence is not holding anyone back. If anything, he makes guys better. Great teams have great players. Lack of balance relative to our bigs is because our bigs aren't particularly good. Improve that situation as you suggest we will, along with James and the sky's the limit.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
Jay Bilas sucks??  You have lost all credibility on future posts.  He is one of the best analysts on tv in all sports, college or pro!  No one gives so much insight in a well spoken manner like him.  If you were just introduced to bball, you would actually learn something listening to his analysis, unlike the tired announcers like Packer, Vitale and other former coaches.  All they talk about is heart and hustle and insult their viewers intelligence.  I met the guy in person when he was in Milw for Midnight Madness 5 yrs ago.  He was as classy in person as he comes off on tv.

Also, everyone thinks James is leaving after this year?  What to play ball in Europe?  Why wouldn't he spend one more year in college to try to improve his game and potentially make him more NBA ready? 

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »

His belief that he can be a dominant force is what gets him into trouble. I do think he played OK last night, though.

You are right, PRN.  James has never carried this team on his back during his tenure here.  Funny, you list Diener as a player who could dominate - did you account for his relatively porous defense when writing that?  Don't get me wrong, I loved Diener, but a defender he was not. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
MU is a better team with James, period. I can't believe this is still being questioned.
Here are the improvements that he has made this season:

1.) Shooting - His 3% has improved from 27% last year to 37% this year. Overall, his shooting percentage has gone from 38% to 42%. Also, he is shooting 70% from the free-throw line (career high).

2.) Shot Selection - Goes hand-in-hand with the better shooting percentage. Not forcing the action, taking shots within the offense.

3.) Game Management - Getting teammates involved ... Has 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio!

4.) Defense - DJ has become a terrific defender ... An underrated part of his game.

I agree with PRN that he may not be a great late-game scorer, but to say MU is better without him, is wrong. IMO, DJ has made the improvements and is playing like the player people wanted him to be when this topic was discussed over the summer.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Crean would have found someone else
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Leaving will be:
Ooze
Fitz
James
TB

Arriving will be:
Trevor
TT
Otule
Fulce
NW

I understand what your saying, but I think you're nuts, and you underestimate the positive impact a guy with that combination of talent, experience, strength, speed and athleticism has. As far as balance goes, James' presence is not holding anyone back. If anything, he makes guys better. Great teams have great players. Lack of balance relative to our bigs is because our bigs aren't particularly good. Improve that situation as you suggest we will, along with James and the sky's the limit.

I agree with your last sentence but we don't have 14 schollies.   I am just saying the TEAM and program are better off or about the same if he goes pro at the end of this season.  

I agree that James doesn't hold anyone back when he plays within his abilities and within the flow of the game, like he has done most of this year.  However, when MU gets behind and he begins to try to "take over" a game or tries to force things, then he is a detriment.  The problem is that if he starts to do that more and more (like the last two games) then we won't get a good seed or be NIT bound, we flame out in the tourney again (if we get there at all), he won't get drafted (again) and he will be back.  Not good.  On the other hand if he plays within his abilities and within the flow of the game, we will go far and he will get drafted.  That is good all around.  I think the best scenario is for the team is if he moves on at the end of the season.  That being said, I do not see much of a drop off without him as the team will be more balanced with the talent coming in.  Maybe I am overly optimistic about the new talent.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »
I agree with PRN that he may not be a great late-game scorer, but to say MU is better without him, is wrong. 

I specifically said we wouldn't be as good without James.

And to ToddPacker's reference to Diener and his defense, please re-read my original post. It clearly references DJ's inability to "take over" a game offensively.

I referenced Diener as a person who was a "go to" type scorer, not a person who could "dominate." And I defy you to tell me he wasn't a helluva lot more reliable on offense than anything we have now.

In a close game, you wanted the ball in Diener's hands either for him to make a big shot or get to the free throw line.

In a close game in 2007, you want James to get rid of the ball so he doesn't get fouled or attempt a jump shot.

Does that explain the difference?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
I agree with PRN that he may not be a great late-game scorer, but to say MU is better without him, is wrong. 

I specifically said we wouldn't be as good without James.

That comment was not directed towards you ... It was to downtown85.
Sorry for the confusion.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »
I am glad to see that most people here think that we need D james.  I am sick of all of the students around me yelling
"Get off the court"  or "You Suck" to him.
It drives me nuts.  I jsut wnat ot turn around and punch them in the face.