[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bill Russell  (Read 13763 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Bill Russell
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
So I am sitting in a Bellevue Starbucks reading Scoop when I sense the elderly gent waiting for his drink is reading over my shoulder. As I am turning he asks if I am a Marquette fan. After relating my connection he asks if I know Glenn Rivers, saying Rivers now has his old job. It was then I realize it is Bill Russell. I had no idea but he lives about a mile from this Starbucks. We visited for 20 minutes and I discovered he is extremely knowledgeable about contemporary college hoops. His thoughts from our conversation:

Marquette:

- He is a huge fan of Buzz Williams. Said he's genuine. Believes Buzz wins over parents with his sincerity and commitment to developing the total man.

- Thinks Buzz will stay at Marquette. Buzz is well paid and is top dog in athletics.

- Thinks Buzz is a National Championship caliber coach.

- I didn't ask about Crean, forgetting Tanned Tommy brought Russell in to speak with Marquette's players. Curious though that Russell didn't mention Crean.

Big East:

- Sad to see the greatest basketball conference fall apart.

- Basketball schools need to get away from football schools.

- Wants to see a Jumbo basketball conference with a Big West division of Zags, Seattle, St Mary's, Loyola Marymount, and his alma mater among others that would join the Big East 10 at MSG every year.

- Really likes Brad Stevens, Mark Few, and Shaka Smart too. Likes their coaching philosophies, stewardship, and loyalty.

Doc Rivers:

- Likes the job Doc is doing but thinks he moves into front office.

- Doesn't like Ainge as a person but respects him as a basketball person.

- Still hates Boston. Said he has kept a home in the NW because it was inclusive. Boston is still too racially divided.

NBA:

- Glad to see Stern retiring. (I got the sense he dislikes the Commish)

- Doesn't like the lack of competitive balance. Stern's world is 5 teams then everybody else.

- Thinks Milwaukee loses its franchise soon.

- Best player he played with was Bob Cousy.

- Best player is Magic Johnson.

The rest of our conversation was local restaurants and Air Force experiences. Interesting man. He looks great and looks like he could still lace 'em up. 

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Bill Russell
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »
"Still hates Boston. Said he has kept a home in the NW because it was inclusive. Boston is still too racially divided."

Boston is absurdly racially divided.  It has to be the whitest big city east of the Mississippi.  At least it seemed that way to me.  It's totally white, then all of a sudden Mattapan is all African American.  Strange to say the least.  Somewhat disturbing.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
Great post keefe. Interesting stuff to say the least.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
He could be right about the Bucks, except that Herb Kohl has no intention of selling—and if he does, it will be to a buyer who will keep the team in Milwaukee. Kohl has recently stated this in no uncertain terms.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
He could be right about the Bucks, except that Herb Kohl has no intention of selling—and if he does, it will be to a buyer who will keep the team in Milwaukee. Kohl has recently stated this in no uncertain terms.

With regard to the Bucks I think he doesn't feel it is a viable NBA market. I forgot to mention his belief that the NBA becomes truly global with Europe and Asia being prime markets for expansion.

Death on call

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »
Congrats on posting one of the 2-3 truly interesting off-season posts. Great to hear this!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
Super interesting read. Thanks, keefe!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »

...And he would never lie to us! 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
Bill Russell is perhaps the most overrated player in basketball history. To begin to even compare him with Chamberlain is absolutely ridiculous.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16:20 AM »
Bill Russell is perhaps the most overrated player in basketball history. To begin to even compare him with Chamberlain is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. His resume is clearly a bit thin...

Won two NCAA Championships at U of San Francisco

Won 11 NBA Titles with Celtics

Won Gold Medal as Captain of the US Men's 1956 Olympic Basketball Team
(Called the Original Dream Team, Russell's Olympic champs won by an average margin of +54 points)

Most Championships won by a Professional American Athlete (any sport)

Named NBA MVP five times

Named NBA All Star 12 times (in 13 seasons)

Member Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

Member National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame

Named to NBA 25th Anniversary Team

Named to NBA 35th Anniversary Team

Named to NBA's 50 All Time Greats

NBA Finals MVP Trophy named for him

2nd All Time NBA Total Rebounds

2nd All Time NBA Avg RPG

One of two players to grab 50 Rebounds in One Game

He is erudite, insightful, and witty. He mentioned his daughter is a Harvard Law grad and that he wished he had worked towards a PhD after his playing days. He was also one helluva ball player. He and Wilt are apples and oranges. Players with completely different skills, strengths, and roles. I would be hard pressed to say either was the better. Some guys like scotch while others like bourbon. Neither is wrong. 

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:44:00 AM »
That's a great story! I think our own Murffius actually played against him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:49:37 AM »
Hmmmm...But to compare Russell=Otule would be a better one!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:53:15 AM »
Great post!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Why did you stop watching sports in 1960. Since then a whole list of "most over rated" have played

Gretzky, Jordon, Montana, Barry Sanders, LeBron, Pele....
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

I highly doubt anyone on this board has ever actually seen enough games of Chamberlain or Russell to have a real educated opinion on the matter.  Any comparison would just be made off looking at career highlight reels, and all time stat sheets. Having said that, I still fail to see why the comparison is ridiculous.  

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
I saw a lot of the Russell vs Wilt games. It was a great debate at the time: who was better? I always liked Russell because he won--though whether Wilt with the 76'ers or Lakers, Russell always had better supporting cast. Wilt had far better individual stats but Russell had great stats too and a better team. He was a lot shorter than Wilt but always gave him all he could handle. Officials always protected Wilt which is why he never fouled out. This was, and still is, a great sports debate.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
I saw a lot of the Russell vs Wilt games. It was a great debate at the time: who was better? I always liked Russell because he won--though whether Wilt with the 76'ers or Lakers, Russell always had better supporting cast. Wilt had far better individual stats but Russell had great stats too and a better team. He was a lot shorter than Wilt but always gave him all he could handle. Officials always protected Wilt which is why he never fouled out. This was, and still is, a great sports debate.

What makes it a great debate is that they were so very different, as both players and persons. Russell was the consummate team player and he made the Celtics Dynasty. A terrific defender and rebounder he was the heart of a team that dominated in a way no other in any sport has done. Wilt compiled phenomenal offensive statistics. The irony is that towards the end of his career, Chamberlain filled a role similar to Russell's. The Lakers had more than enough offensive firepower so Chamberlain focused on anchoring the defense and rebounding.

This is one of those questions for which there will never be a definitive answer. Some guys like blondes while others prefer brunettes. Ginger or Mary Ann.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
Ginger is perhaps the most overrated character in sitcom history. To begin to even compare her with Mary Ann is absolutely ridiculous.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Ginger is perhaps the most overrated character in sitcom history. To begin to even compare her with Mary Ann is absolutely ridiculous.

I forget, which one had the bigger knockers?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »

I believe they were both extremely talented actresses, 4ever.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »

The Skipper

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
I agree. His resume is clearly a bit thin...

Won two NCAA Championships at U of San Francisco

Won 11 NBA Titles with Celtics

Won Gold Medal as Captain of the US Men's 1956 Olympic Basketball Team
(Called the Original Dream Team, Russell's Olympic champs won by an average margin of +54 points)

Most Championships won by a Professional American Athlete (any sport)

Named NBA MVP five times

Named NBA All Star 12 times (in 13 seasons)

Member Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

Member National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame

Named to NBA 25th Anniversary Team

Named to NBA 35th Anniversary Team

Named to NBA's 50 All Time Greats

NBA Finals MVP Trophy named for him

2nd All Time NBA Total Rebounds

2nd All Time NBA Avg RPG

One of two players to grab 50 Rebounds in One Game

He is erudite, insightful, and witty. He mentioned his daughter is a Harvard Law grad and that he wished he had worked towards a PhD after his playing days. He was also one helluva ball player. He and Wilt are apples and oranges. Players with completely different skills, strengths, and roles. I would be hard pressed to say either was the better. Some guys like scotch while others like bourbon. Neither is wrong. 

Your posts require a dictionary/thesaurus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
Great post, keefe.

The part I just can't get over is that you live in the Seattle area...and still get your coffee at Starbucks.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Great post, keefe.

The part I just can't get over is that you live in the Seattle area...and still get your coffee at Starbucks.

I used to go to Cowgirls Espresso, Java Juggs, or Hot Chick-a-Latte for my daily fix until my wife shamed me into returning to Starbucks...

Actually, I usually go to Café Ladro or Macrina Bakery for my java. If I'm lazy I'll hit the Starbucks just down the street in Bellevue. The Starbucks around here serve alcohol and stay open past midnight.

Seattle has pioneered the Bikini Barista concept. Here is a directory of the establishments dedicated to a superb multi-sensory customer experience:

http://bikini-baristas.com/

http://www.foxyladycoffee.com/

Death on call

feedback