[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Denver University Joins The Big East (Lacrosse Only)  (Read 11433 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Denver University Joins The Big East (Lacrosse Only)
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
I think having the 6th member and AQ status was more critical for the Big Teen than the ACC.  Maybe they agreed to more of Hopkins' demands.

As an academically elite school Johns Hopkins should only affiliate with the most prestigious conference. There was no question that it had to be the B1G. No question whatsoever.

Death on call

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
Not sure how I feel about joining the B1G, I was personally leaning toward ACC myself. It feels more like...'what situation gives us at least a decent strength of schedule in a conference we can dominate.' Though, I'll be upset if I have to spend any $ on the B1G network to watch Hopkins LAX now.

President Daniels sent all alumni a letter today on the decision...I won't bore you all with the whole thing, but here are some of the reasons he put out there:
- We are a good fit with the Big Ten institutions, research universities with whom — in most cases — we already share close connections through the Association of American Universities;
- The commitment of the Big Ten and its members to the academic success of student-athletes;
- The opportunity for Johns Hopkins to help to launch Big Ten lacrosse play, including the adoption of competition rules and procedures;
- The opportunity for Johns Hopkins to contribute to the creation of the league's lacrosse culture, bringing to bear the experience of our 44 national championships and the traditions and history of the nation's most successful lacrosse program;
- The chance to continue a historic series with arch-rival Maryland, which is also joining the Big Ten;
- The conference's understanding and encouragement of our desire to maintain as many of our other traditional rivalries as possible;
- The conference's understanding and encouragement of our desire to maintain our agreement with ESPNU for national telecasts of all games from Homewood Field; and
- The strength, stability and resources of the Big Ten, which bode well for the success of its venture into a new sport.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Not sure how I feel about joining the B1G, I was personally leaning toward ACC myself. It feels more like...'what situation gives us at least a decent strength of schedule in a conference we can dominate.' Though, I'll be upset if I have to spend any $ on the B1G network to watch Hopkins LAX now.

If the Big Ten gets serious about Lax, it won't take them long to have some very strong teams.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
If the Big Ten gets serious about Lax, it won't take them long to have some very strong teams.

True...Maryland and Rutgers are both solid and the growing popularity of LAX should have the B1G and Big East only getting better. Denver is an excellent add and I'm definitely excited about cheering for MU when they come to CO.

MU '92
JHU '00

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »

- The conference's understanding and encouragement of our desire to maintain our agreement with ESPNU for national telecasts of all games from Homewood Field; and

Heh...no chance they do that with Notre Dame and NBC for football.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
Interesting question...

If the head injuries issue ends up bringing down the popularity of college football (either by outright ending it or changing the game so drastically for safety issues that it loses appeal), is LAX poised to take at least a decent-sized chunk of that market share?

I'm not saying that the demise of college football is immiment, but do you think that its reasonable for the appeal of LAX to go up in the next 15-20 years?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
Lacrosse has experienced a huge increase in popularity over the past 15-20 years, and it's likely to continue over the next 15-20 years regardless of what happens with football.  It's a fun sport to play and a fun sport to watch.  As more and more people are exposed to it, the sport will continue to grow in popularity.  It's a spring sport, so if anything, it probably attracts HS kids that would have otherwise gone out for the baseball or track teams.  Also a lot of cross-over with kids that play soccer or hockey in the fall and winter.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Interesting question...

If the head injuries issue ends up bringing down the popularity of college football (either by outright ending it or changing the game so drastically for safety issues that it loses appeal), is LAX poised to take at least a decent-sized chunk of that market share?

I'm not saying that the demise of college football is immiment, but do you think that its reasonable for the appeal of LAX to go up in the next 15-20 years?

"When I look at the demographics of those who prop up football's popularity, especially in the south, they don't exactly strike me as people who would take interest in anything where the prominent names are Johns Hopkins and Yale."

-Gordan Gee
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 07:19:16 AM »
I keep hearing that Lacrosse is the next big thing. It kind of reminds me about how we've been hearing that soccer will be the next big thing, for at least a generation or two now... I guess I'm still waiting to see the market emerge.

I wonder if the appeal of lacrosse and soccer isn't this perennial "up and coming" status. It's fun to be the next big thing but never have to actually be the big thing with big time audiences.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
Its an up and coming sport because "upper middle class white kids" can excel in the sport because lower classes haven't yet. Also there is an elitist appeal---especially in the Midwest---because of its East Coast prep school roots. Soccer is losing its appeal amongst the elites because better athletes are entering the sport, and some Hispanic clubs (especially the youth teams) are excelling and consumed by the sport.    

---Gordon Gee
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:41:10 AM by Knight Commission »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
KC, good points, probably also a big part of the appeal.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
I keep hearing that Lacrosse is the next big thing. It kind of reminds me about how we've been hearing that soccer will be the next big thing, for at least a generation or two now... I guess I'm still waiting to see the market emerge.

I wonder if the appeal of lacrosse and soccer isn't this perennial "up and coming" status. It's fun to be the next big thing but never have to actually be the big thing with big time audiences.

Well the interesting thing with soccer, is it has started to become a pretty big thing here in the US.  Popularity of soccer in the states is at an all time high.  ESPN is now carrying Premier League games and other top European matches.  The big problem is, the MLS is still blah.  Therefore the high-profile matches you would expect to capture big audiences are being played at 10am-3pm here in the states and not during your primetime slots.  Don't get me wrong, its still behind the Big 4 sports, but it has been trending up the last ten years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
Well the interesting thing with soccer, is it has started to become a pretty big thing here in the US.  Popularity of soccer in the states is at an all time high.  ESPN is now carrying Premier League games and other top European matches.  The big problem is, the MLS is still blah.  Therefore the high-profile matches you would expect to capture big audiences are being played at 10am-3pm here in the states and not during your primetime slots.  Don't get me wrong, its still behind the Big 4 sports, but it has been trending up the last ten years.

And the growth in televised soccer is fueled by viewers who are generally younger and more affluent.  What I think MLS has done well is understand their place - they aren't trying to challenge the Big 4 sports.  They understand that they don't have a top-rated league, but have to work up by starting in smaller, more intimate stadiums...build a passionate fan base...and grow it more organically. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
Lacrosse has experienced a huge increase in popularity over the past 15-20 years, and it's likely to continue over the next 15-20 years regardless of what happens with football.  It's a fun sport to play and a fun sport to watch.  As more and more people are exposed to it, the sport will continue to grow in popularity.  It's a spring sport, so if anything, it probably attracts HS kids that would have otherwise gone out for the baseball or track teams.  Also a lot of cross-over with kids that play soccer or hockey in the fall and winter.

I asked my 2 kids who are in high school about Lacrosse and what type of kid plays it. They said no one really likes or pays attention to Lacrosse except those that play it. They say the kids who play it are dorks and the only ones that go out for it are kids that can't make any other sport. Just one kid's opinion, but still interesting.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
I asked my 2 kids who are in high school about Lacrosse and what type of kid plays it. They said no one really likes or pays attention to Lacrosse except those that play it. They say the kids who play it are dorks and the only ones that go out for it are kids that can't make any other sport. Just one kid's opinion, but still interesting.

was like this ten years go in the northeast, now it is completely reversed
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »

Where do you live?  The fact that it's even available for kids to play in most places is a huge step up from 15-20 years ago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »

That may say more about the popularity of the sport at your kid's school more than anything.  For instance, what you described is pretty much how tennis is treated at my kid's high school.  However at other schools, it is a very serious sport.  I think this is the case outside of the "major" sports at a lot of places...cross country...swimming...etc.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »

That may say more about the popularity of the sport at your kid's school more than anything.  For instance, what you described is pretty much how tennis is treated at my kid's high school.  However at other schools, it is a very serious sport.  I think this is the case outside of the "major" sports at a lot of places...cross country...swimming...etc.

Exactly.  The high school I attended was a running school.  Cross country and track were huge deals.  In fact, my junior year, one of the starting linemen on the football team quit to join the cross country team.  We never had lacrosse at my HS when I was there, but it was added several years ago.

Since moving to the East Coast 3 years ago, I have seen a HUGE interest in lacrosse, not just in high schools, but little kids playing catch at the park.  Its a big deal over here as opposed to the midwest.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
Here in Connecticut, when I was in high school in the mid-80s, we played lacrosse in gym class.  That's how common it was here going back then.

john31

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

In the Chicago area lax is not the next "big thing", it is a "big thing". My local high school started a program about 3-4 years ago and they had about 80 kids come out for the first year. I'm not sure how many teams there were as far as frosh, sophomore, and varsity teams go but regardless a substantial turnout. Popularity continues. I have three sons they all play the youngest is 7. It is possible that in my area lax is popular because baseball is ridiculous(3rd graders pitching the entire game, 45 minute long innings) but I think it stands on it's own. It is fast, high scoring relative to soccer, and you to be athletic to excel. I took my guys to see the MU/ND game at Loyal Academy although they lost I love the fact the MU played the best teams in the country. I am looking forward to the day when MU's lax teams are held in the same high esteem as our hoops program.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »

Your kids high school must suck at lacrosse
Bring back FFP!!!

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »

That's probably true. My kids go to a catholic school in se wi.  I actually encouraged my kids to go out for the team, but they want no part of it

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
That's probably true. My kids go to a catholic school in se wi.  I actually encouraged my kids to go out for the team, but they want no part of it

I coached youth lax for 10 years in CT and I found that if the kids did not start as a youngster (third, fourth or fifth grade) they were intimidated by the "experienced" kids. They were afraid those "experienced" kids had sick left and right hand skills. Too bad, the experience that they had was not insurmountable at all.   However we had some good athletes that took it up at middle school level and did fine. (one even went to Duke on a lax scholarship) Like anything, you gotta put in the work. Also, there is lots of running involved, a big turn off to many kids. Some practices involved running a mile or 2 before practice.

All in all, a great sport and I'm looking forward to seeing MU participate....then dominate. Amplo is an excellent coach. It should be a fun ride.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
Your kids high school must suck at lacrosse

Not necessarily. There are schools out here that are elite in soccer but fans don't pay attention to it because it isn't that popular a sport compared to others.  I remember when Marquette was top 15 in the country in rifle, you could count on 2 hands the number of fans that attended an event.  Being good at a sport doesn't mean it has to be popular, or vice versa.  Plenty of really crappy high school football or basketball teams that still have the student body excited.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Plenty of really crappy high school football or basketball teams that still have the student body excited.

Northwestern?

Death on call