[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:48:54 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN 1000 (Chicago) On Why No One Wants The Illinois Job  (Read 8039 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
ESPN 1000 (Chicago) On Why No One Wants The Illinois Job
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »
On the Waddle and Silvy show (ESPN 1000 Chicago) this morning they discussed why Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens turned down Illinois.  I tuned-in near the end so let me paraphrase and guess about the parts I missed.  Please correct me if you heard all of it.

Essentially recruiting Chicago is a cesspool.  High School Coaches, AAU coaches, street agents and parents/relative "expect something" from local schools that regularly recruit Chicago.  Waddle and Silvy called it "murky to recruit Chicago."  So this is why no one wants Illinois and Depaul before them.  This also explains why no Illinois schools are in the tourney.

Waddle and Silvy further speculated that it is easier to "pick off" a recruit here and there from outside Chicago (see Anthony Davis at Kentucky or Steve Taylor at MU) then to be part of that region and constantly have to "feed" the apparatus that is local schools recruiting Chicago.

Thoughts on this?

🏀

• All American
Re: ESPN 1000 (Chicago) On Why No One Wants The Illinois Job
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
Waddle and Silvy have no clue. Really a waste of time listening to them.

Chicago market makes you work.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
My thought is that two guys who had previously indicated they wouldn't leave their current position deciding not to leave their current position does not mean that "No One Wants the Illinois Job".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
Myopic thinking by potential candidates.  Illinois doesn't have to solely recruit Chicago to be successful.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
I know nothing, but it makes some sense.  MU has talked for years about how important a recruiting connection to Chicago is yet being it is in our backdoor, the number of players it lands from Chicago is historically small IMO.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
My thought is that two guys who had previously indicated they wouldn't leave their current position deciding not to leave their current position does not mean that "No One Wants the Illinois Job".

Buzz and Anthony Grant were also rumored but that went no where. There was also the Reggie Theus rumor that I believe was started by Reggie Theus.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »
Buzz and Anthony Grant were also rumored but that went no where. There was also the Reggie Theus rumor that I believe was started by Reggie Theus.

If you add Buzz, that makes 3 people who have indicated previously that they wouldn't leave their current position deciding not to leave their current position.  Still no big deal.  I don't know much about Anthony Grant or their pursuit of him.  Maybe they finally had their first real "no thanks".

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

They are down to #6 on their list.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
They are down to #6 on their list.
But #2 in terms of realistic possibilities.  None of this should have been public so I understand thinking the AD has done a poor job, but in reality they had to ask ask Shaka and Stevens even knowing it was likely they would decline.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »
But #2 in terms of realistic possibilities.  None of this should have been public so I understand thinking the AD has done a poor job, but in reality they had to ask ask Shaka and Stevens even knowing it was likely they would decline.

#6 is still #6.

AD isn't doing the search, a firm is instead.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
When you fire Bruce Weber, you go for Shaka Smart.
When you go for Shaka Smart, you get turned down and end up with egg on your face.
When you end up with egg on your face, you go for Brad Stevens.
When you go for Brad Stevens, you get shot down again and have to settle for choice #6.

Don't settle for choice #6.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »
I think Waddle and Silvy are off base.  Whoever comes in would have their work cut out for them, for sure, because those that came before them did a terrible job of recruiting Chicago, but a good coach/recruiter could get it done.  It may seem like a little bit of an uphill battle, but I think more of the case is that IL is going for the top couple of coaches and overvaluing it's program.  There are simply better programs that the top couple of coaches would like to step into.
I keep hearing them talk about how it's a top 10-15 program, and that's just not right.  Their best bet is to get a Reggie Theus type of guy, who has had NBA experience coaching, has shown that he can win in college, and knows Chicago.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
So the lesson here is to always lowball yourself so you don't look stupid if your most desired but also unlikely candidates choose not to take the job.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
So the lesson here is to always lowball yourself so you don't look stupid if your most desired but also unlikely candidates choose not to take the job.

The lesson is you don't let it get out that you asked Shaka and Stevens if you have doubts that they will pass.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
I really hope that years from now when MU is looking for their next coach they make sure to limit the search parameters to DIII assistants and high school coaches so that they can be sure to get the #1 guy on their list.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »
When you fire Bruce Weber, you go for Shaka Smart.
When you go for Shaka Smart, you get turned down and end up with egg on your face.
When you end up with egg on your face, you go for Brad Stevens.
When you go for Brad Stevens, you get shot down again and have to settle for choice #6.

Don't settle for choice #6.

Well done Tall T.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
The truth is Illinois is a stepping-stone job. Everyone who's been there in the past 20 years has used it as a stepping stone to get somewhere else. And neither Smart nor Stevens need a stepping stone. If the jobs came open, they could walk in to UCLA, Indiana, Kansas...pretty much any elite job in the nation would let them write their own check. So why go to another stepping stone? You have to rebuild not only that program, but your reputation. If it doesn't work out in 3-5 years, suddenly that stepping stone was just a step down and when the big boys start calling, your name isn't on the list.

And another truth is that Marquette is a stepping-stone job. It was for the past two successful coaches we had before Buzz. The only way a stepping stone job, those jobs that are in the 10-25 range in the country, becomes a destination job is if you happen to have the right guy at the right time. That's why it's so important that we keep Buzz. Because he's the right guy for Marquette at the right time. Just like Coach K was at Duke, or Izzo at MSU. Get a good coach that considers your stepping stone job to be a destination and you can turn it into something special.

That's what Illinois should really be looking for. Not the next hot coaching candidate, but someone that really wants to be there and is grateful for the opportunity, and will pay it off by busting his ass to make the program the best it can possibly be. Anyone who only has their eyes on the next prize will end up breaking your heart in the end.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
Well done Tall T.

Eh, I stole it from a caller on the radio haha.  I'm only passing it along.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
I know nothing, but it makes some sense.  MU has talked for years about how important a recruiting connection to Chicago is yet being it is in our backdoor, the number of players it lands from Chicago is historically small IMO.

Are u kidding me??? Guys like Ellis, Rivers, wade, mcneil? Etc!!!  Prolly over the years 20% of our recruits have come from chicago, that is a huge number.  Even a bigger number in the sense that a very large % of those kids have been really good!!

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
The truth is Illinois is a stepping-stone job. Everyone who's been there in the past 20 years has used it as a stepping stone to get somewhere else. And neither Smart nor Stevens need a stepping stone. If the jobs came open, they could walk in to UCLA, Indiana, Kansas...pretty much any elite job in the nation would let them write their own check. So why go to another stepping stone? You have to rebuild not only that program, but your reputation. If it doesn't work out in 3-5 years, suddenly that stepping stone was just a step down and when the big boys start calling, your name isn't on the list.

And another truth is that Marquette is a stepping-stone job. It was for the past two successful coaches we had before Buzz. The only way a stepping stone job, those jobs that are in the 10-25 range in the country, becomes a destination job is if you happen to have the right guy at the right time. That's why it's so important that we keep Buzz. Because he's the right guy for Marquette at the right time. Just like Coach K was at Duke, or Izzo at MSU. Get a good coach that considers your stepping stone job to be a destination and you can turn it into something special.

That's what Illinois should really be looking for. Not the next hot coaching candidate, but someone that really wants to be there and is grateful for the opportunity, and will pay it off by busting his ass to make the program the best it can possibly be. Anyone who only has their eyes on the next prize will end up breaking your heart in the end.
+1

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »

Brew,

How many jobs are not stepping stone jobs?  I think it is less about 10 in the country.

UNC
Duke
UCLA
Kansas (unless compared to UNC)
Indiana
Michigan State
Kentucky
Georgetown
Syracuse
Uconn

Possible not stepping stone jobs

Louisville
Ohio State

TJ

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
Brew,

How many jobs are not stepping stone jobs?  I think it is less about 10 in the country.

UNC
Duke
UCLA
Kansas (unless compared to UNC)
Indiana
Michigan State
Kentucky
Georgetown
Syracuse
Uconn

Possible not stepping stone jobs

Louisville
Ohio State

I think that was his point.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I get that ... I was looking for the names

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »

Illinois coaches in the last 20 years:
- Lou Henson retired after 22 seasons at U of I
- Lon Kruger left for the NBA
- Bill Self left for his "dream job" at Kansas
- Bruce Weber got fired

I wouldn't go so far as to call Illinois a stepping-stone job.

Michigan State has had exactly 2 head coaches since 1976 (Heathcote and Izzo). I wouldn't consider MSU a stepping-stone either.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »
I would imagine if Buzz is truly that upset, he would at least listen to Illinois.  And for that reason this whole thing doesn't really worry me.  If Buzz is really that bent out of shape about his relationships at MU and wants to bolt, there are certainly a lot worse places to land than Illinois.

feedback