[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Full Milwaukee Mag story on Buzz  (Read 11116 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Full Milwaukee Mag story on Buzz
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

sailwi

• All American
Re: Full Milwaukee Mag story on Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
Damm, I spent 5 on Saturday on that rag just for that story, oh well it was a good read.  I laughed and cried at different points of the article.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
SS Marquette

brandx

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the link, Pakuni.

Great read.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
Awesome article!

There's a quote in there that I think will give Henry Sugar the answer to how Buzz fixed the f*cking defense: “Guard the motherf--ker!”

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
+ 1

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
Great article....and I have a new tagline for my profile.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
So, Milwaukee Magazine won't be pissed you posted premium material like some other sites? Just f*uckin' with 'em?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Buzz's Tin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
Truly an inspiring story! Great article. Glad he is our coach and part of the Marquette family. In Buzz We Trust!

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Damm, I spent 5 on Saturday on that rag just for that story, oh well it was a good read. 

Ha, I feel the same way!!

Oh well, at least we know where the top spas are now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
My favorite part:

Crowder was playing for Howard Community College when Buzz pitched the offer. “Buzz is like, ‘If you really want to grow as a player and a great person off the court,’ ” Crowder recalls, “ ‘and get your balls crushed every day, you’ll come play for me.’ ”

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
thanks for posting!! great article.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »
On how to beat UW.  "F*ck with them." Exactly what they did.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
really lucky to have this guy and to have him be so loyal to our school when he get's a job offer almost every season.

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »
Great article - thanks!  You've got to love Buzz! 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
Just for fun...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »
I really enjoyed this article.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Nice read. No doubt he is a nut, but really starting to like him a lot.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
Nice read. No doubt he is a nut, but really starting to like him a lot.

Nope.  We have to wait 1 more year before we judge him.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the link. He's as crazy as Al was, I think. SWounds like a loyal guy, too - I hope he keeps doing his stuff here a long time.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Love this article too, thanks for posting.  Biggest concern for me about Buzz is that he has to burn out, doesn't he?  I can't imagine he can go 10 or 20 years at this pace.  Especially as he will keep accumulating more players, ex-players, contacts, etc. to keep track of.  

I love the loyalty thing, too, and hope it extends to MU for quite some time.  I always will root for Marquette, but there is something to be said for genuinely liking the people you root for.  My wife, who doesn't care much about basketball, likes to watch the weekly Buzz show (despite her disdain for his fashion sense) because she likes Buzz, Buzz's Bunch and the Homer interviews with the players.  "They seem like such good kids."  Marry that with the W/L record and the entertaining style of ball we play, its a good time to be an MU fan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:22:24 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
My wife, who doesn't care much about basketball, likes to watch the weekly Buzz show (despite he disdain for his fashion sense)

It's funny you say that, because that's the first thing my wife says when she sees him.  "Why is he wearing that???"

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Just for fun...
Any chance you can make it go faster?  Buzz never moves that slowly.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
Love this article too, thanks for posting.  Biggest concern for me about Buzz is that he has to burn out, doesn't he?  I can't imagine he can go 10 or 20 years at this pace.  Especially as he will keep accumulating more players, ex-players, contacts, etc. to keep track of. 

In 5 years he won't have to keep this pace, big time players will want to play at MU.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
In 5 years he won't have to keep this pace, big time players will want to play at MU.
That was my thought, exactly.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »

I'll agree that there's some truth to your point, but will say that I think that this attitude is a great way to go from "hot young coach with unlimited to potential" to "I wonder whatever happened to him" status.  It's very hard to get to the top; it's often harder to stay there.  Buzz doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will slow down all that much just because he gets to the top, because he will recognize that that is the fastest way to fall back down.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
Buzz will never fall asleep at the wheel - but he's already said they are beginning reap "compound interest" on the recruiting trail.  He's got MU as a Top 10 team, 1 Sweet 16, hopefully an Elite 8/Final Four this year, and in his 4 years sent: Wes, Lazar, Jimmy, and now probably Crowder and/or DJO to the NBA.  His winning percentage in the Big East is better than Calhoun's and Jay Wright's.

Deonte Burton on the way...trying to influence the best MKE talent to MU.  Strong inroads at Chicago Simeon.  Numerous testimonials of former players (Jimmy Butler in Chicago), colleagues, etc., speaking to their love for Buzz. 

Yes, it should become easier on the recruiting trail for Buzz as it became easier for Al back in the day..due to all the above...and hopefully that will reduce the workload/stress.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Maybe it's just me...but I always get a little irked by the "only thing my name is on" comment about Buzz's Bunch. I wouldn't at all have a problem if it were true, but every year, we have Buzz's Texas Style BBQ. Maybe it's a small gripe, but I'm big on accuracy, and that's something his name is on, year in and year out.

Regardless...great article, and I absolutely love Buzz as a coach. I didn't say so in the other thread, but I was one who wasn't in favor of the hire at the time. I felt we hadn't done a thorough enough job, and felt we really should have tried to bring in Bennett or Miller. In retrospect, it worked perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. Just goes to show that sometimes we fans don't know what we're talking about.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Maybe it's just me...but I always get a little irked by the "only thing my name is on" comment about Buzz's Bunch. I wouldn't at all have a problem if it were true, but every year, we have Buzz's Texas Style BBQ. Maybe it's a small gripe, but I'm big on accuracy, and that's something his name is on, year in and year out.

And the radio show is "The Marquette Basketball Radio Hour With Buzz Williams and Friends."

I presume Buzz means that it's the only thing that he's asked that his name be attached to. Everything else is "you're the coach, we have to put your name on it."
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

Wow. Hopefully it is just you. Irked? Really?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
And the radio show is "The Marquette Basketball Radio Hour With Buzz Williams and Friends."

I presume Buzz means that it's the only thing that he's asked that his name be attached to. Everything else is "you're the coach, we have to put your name on it."

I'm sure that's what he means.  He is the founder and CEO of Buzz's Bunch.  He is the celebrity endorser of the BBQ and radio and television shows.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Wow. Hopefully it is just you. Irked? Really?

Irked isn't the right word, it's a bit strong, but it just kind of irritates me, or gives me a little cringe. Sort of like when people say "irregardless", or when someone types the wrong "they're/their/there" online. I guess I'd say it's a pet peeve.

I still love Buzz and wouldn't want anyone else, but I'm definitely not a fan of hearing that "Buzz's Bunch" is the only thing with his name on it when clearly it isn't.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
Irked isn't the right word, it's a bit strong, but it just kind of irritates me, or gives me a little cringe. Sort of like when people say "irregardless", or when someone types the wrong "they're/their/there" online. I guess I'd say it's a pet peeve.

I still love Buzz and wouldn't want anyone else, but I'm definitely not a fan of hearing that "Buzz's Bunch" is the only thing with his name on it when clearly it isn't.

As a semantics thing, I get your point. At the heart of his saying that, though, I recall hearing in an interview or presser that he said he didn't want a gym named after him or a building or have a statue of him on campus, the only thing he wanted his name on was Buzz's Bunch. In that context, I get what he's saying.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
If I recall correctly, regarding the TV show, was that it was suppose to be called "The Buzz Williams Show" but he asked to have it changed to "Marquette Baskeball with Buzz Williams" (or whatever the official title is) to place the emphasis on the team instead of himself. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
If I recall correctly, regarding the TV show, was that it was suppose to be called "The Buzz Williams Show" but he asked to have it changed to "Marquette Baskeball with Buzz Williams" (or whatever the official title is) to place the emphasis on the team instead of himself. 

Possibly.  I think the point in this context is that it would be The [Coach]'s Show or Marquette Basketball with [Coach] regardless of who was here.  Buzz's Texas Style BBQ would be [Coach]'s [Event] in some form or another.  He didn't create them, he doesn't run them, he just endorses them, mostly because he has to (I don't know if it's mandatory, but it is expected of the MU coach).  Buzz's Bunch would not even exist without him, he created it, he runs it, and he doesn't have to do it but he does.

AhoyaX

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Technically the BBQ is called: "Texas Style Bar-B-Q, featuring head coach Buzz Williams and other Marquette coaches and staff."

Consistent with the theme of Buzz not wanting to be directly labeled on the title of the program.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »

Their you go again.  Irregardless of what you stated above, you still used irked.  They're might have been a time for it, but I don't think it was in that post.  I do like Buzz' Bunch, though.  There a good group to affiliate your name with.  Reminds me of Al with Children's Hospital, for Al's run.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:09:58 PM by MUMac »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »

Because "That event in the middle of the summer where the Athletic Department serves barbecue and fans get to meet the Marquette basketball players and coaches" just doesn't have that alliterative catchiness.  It's marketing, people.

Plus, that is really tough to fit on one's Outlook Calendar.

Try taking a stroll through the SEC, where the football and basketball coaches have their name all over the place, not to mention being a shill for everything from tuxedo rentals ("Come on boys; let's play!") to used cars.
Have some patience, FFS.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Their you go again.  Irregardless of what you stated above, you still used irked.  They're might have been a time for it, but I don't think it was in that post.  I do like Buzz' Bunch, though.  There a good group to affiliate your you're name with.  Reminds me of Al with Children's Hospital, for Al's run.

Fixed  :D

mrr1981

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
Another spin on this article on Buzz.  Apologies if this has been posted already.

http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/buzz-williams-one-of-the-good-guys-coaching-college-basketball/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:38:01 PM by mrr1981 »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »

Regardless...great article, and I absolutely love Buzz as a coach. I didn't say so in the other thread, but I was one who wasn't in favor of the hire at the time. I felt we hadn't done a thorough enough job, and felt we really should have tried to bring in Bennett or Miller. In retrospect, it worked perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. Just goes to show that sometimes we fans don't know what we're talking about.

You have no chance now.  ;)

You're pretty soundly in Buzz' camp and yet certain people in this thread will hold your pants to the fire over a tiny, irrelevant point from a random story.

dearest friend

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
Another article on Buzz, this one from On Milwaukee. Nothing really new, but still a good read.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/muhoopsingoodhands.html?page=1

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
If Russel didnt work for 1250 I would have enjoyed the article a little more than I did but still a good read

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »
Does anyone have the link for the Buzz Williams post game press confrence last year after the Cuse win that they mentioned in this article. I know it was posted on here before, but I can't find it.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
If Russel didnt work for 1250 I would have enjoyed the article a little more than I did but still a good read

Russell hasn't worked for 1250 since last June...but hey, if you want to blindly hate a guy, that's all you.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
Thanks for posting, pakuni. A great read. Very happy and proud that he's a Warrior.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
Didnt realize he had left the station, gives you an idea of how much thought I give to it

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
Buzz will never fall asleep at the wheel - but he's already said they are beginning reap "compound interest" on the recruiting trail.  He's got MU as a Top 10 team, 1 Sweet 16, hopefully an Elite 8/Final Four this year, and in his 4 years sent: Wes, Lazar, Jimmy, and now probably Crowder and/or DJO to the NBA.  His winning percentage in the Big East is better than Calhoun's and Jay Wright's.

Never say never. This is how programs like Pitt have a bad years.  UCLA.  North Carolina.  Anyone can miss, or injuries, or early deflections.  The compounding interest view seems correct, but teams can fall quickly.  Say we lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, now all of a sudden the Sweet 16 is the lone post season bright spot.  We just never know. 

On the Winning %, all true but stats need a bit more depth.  Calhoun started with UCONN in the early years when they were dreadful.  He started 13-30. A much different scenario was presented to Buzz when he started.  Doesn't make you wrong, but there's more to the story.  Calhoun has two titles, Wright has a Final Four and an Elite 8 just in the last five years.  Let's see if Buzz can get us close to those accomplishments.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
another great buzz story-the perfectionist
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
i don't know if this has been posted before, but my son just sent this to me and after reading it, i just went...WOW! and then WOW again.  we've got ourselves another  one of a kind coach(al was the other one) and he is more than a perfectionist

http://www.insidemilwaukee.com/Article/2202012-ThePerfectionist

klyrish

• All American
Re: another great buzz story-the perfectionist
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
That was an awesome read. Thanks for the link!

Da 'Lanche

• All American
fantastic Buzz Williams article
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
forgive me if this has already been posted.....it is well worth the read.

http://www.insidemilwaukee.com/Article/2202012-ThePerfectionist

Oops....sorry...I completely missed the prior thread.  My apologies and it is a great read....for me about 2 weeks too late!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:34:26 PM by murobrob »