'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Doug Gottlieb  (Read 5945 times)

Badgerhater920

• Starter
Doug Gottlieb
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
Sorry if this was posted already under a different thread - DG called us the most overrated team in the country. Again.

mugrack

• Team Captain
Re: Dog Gottlieb
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »
He's a know nothing pud.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »
Sorry if this was posted already under a different thread - DG called us the most overrated team in the country. Again.

Does this guy have a history of knocking us?  Or is he just a know nothing D bag?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

The Lens

• All American
Re: Doug Gottlieb
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
I like Bob Knight the best.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
I love when this guy goes out on a limb
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Badgerhater920

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
Does this guy have a history of knocking us?  Or is he just a know nothing D bag?

Both. He called us overrated before we won @ ND. And he's always been a douche.

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »
I personally think mizzou is the most overrated team in nation followed by Memphis

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
What does MU have to do?  They are 12-2 in the toughest conference in the nation.  

Anyway, did anyone see Jay Williams call him out at halftime of the GTown game?  Jay said, "and doug said MU was the most overrated team in America."  It was awesome, DG got super defensive and said that was when they were ranked 8th.  I've always thought he was a doucher, even before his feelings on MU.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »

When did he call us overrated again? Tonight? What specifically did he say?

Eweconfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
Don't worry about Gottlieb.....he's a complete tool.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:33 AM »
Anyway, did anyone see Jay Williams call him out at halftime of the GTown game?  Jay said, "and doug said MU was the most overrated team in America."  It was awesome, DG got super defensive and said that was when they were ranked 8th.  I've always thought he was a doucher, even before his feelings on MU.

Yeah, I saw that.  As you said, he replied with something like, "well, they were ranked eighth in the entire country!"  I don't think he made any effort to consider changing his opinion, either.  Granted, a guy like that would still probably call MU overrated even if they take care of business these next four games.  If talking out of your you-know-where is all it takes to get hired by ESPN, can I get a job?  :D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
I hope he keeps saying were overated. As long as we keep winning on the court just proves what a wonderful game college basketball really is. The best are the best because they win on the court, not because some pundit says they are or are not.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
He personally had us rated at #10 in ESPN's power rankings as of last Friday, before we beat Georgetown, so he must be talking about himself.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »
What does MU have to do?  

I've said this before.  What are MU's big wins this year?  For sure the New Year's Day win over Nova.  Then????  You have some lower level or bubble teams in Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Providence.  Georgetown is getting throttled by everybody.

People's perceptions of our season all will lie on the last four games.  We go 1-3 in the next four and Gottlieb is probably correct...if we go 3-1 and he's proven wrong.  Simple as that.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »

I've said this before.  What are MU's big wins this year?  For sure the New Year's Day win over Nova.  Then????  You have some lower level or bubble teams in Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Providence.  Georgetown is getting throttled by everybody.

That's all fine and good, but to conclude that MU is 'overrated' requires that you identify the team(s) that are currently ranked below MU that should be above them. Who are those teams? What are their big wins?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

People's perceptions of our season all will lie on the last four games.  We go 1-3 in the next four and Gottlieb is probably correct...if we go 3-1 and he's proven wrong.  Simple as that.

Yeah... Nova.  And we have are number two in the best conference in USA.  To put it another way, we have beat almost every team in the best conference in USA.  We have beat more ranked teams than anyone else, other than UConn.  Who has MSU beat? Memphis? Missouri?  DG might have an argument as far as "who have you beat?" but why is he singling us out and not these other teams.  He is not being objective and is therefore a D bag. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:02 PM »
Got should have said "most overachieving."  He's not a wordsmith.  What he said was a pop off way to put it.  An outsider looking at Marquette's record would have to be amazed.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »
what would a 2-2 finish prove? according to Gottlieb?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
That's all fine and good, but to conclude that MU is 'overrated' requires that you identify the team(s) that are currently ranked below MU that should be above them. Who are those teams? What are their big wins?

My point is that it doesn't flippin matter what Doug Gottlieb says about us right now so why do we get so worked up about it?  Gottlieb is an entertainer who is doing his part to entertain.  By Saturday, March 7, no one is going to remember what the little sh*t said because we will either make our statement...or we won't.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »
I would agree that we don't have the 8th most talented Roster, but at the end of the day we win games which is more important.  I guess my question would be where does he think we should be rated?  Also some of our bigger wins, WISC, NCST, GTOWN (2), ND.  Maybe are not as big now than they were at the time.  Are next 3 games will validate we are a top 10-12 team, at least 1 win. a top 6 team 2 wins, and top 3 team 3 wins.  This is assuming we take care of CUSE.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »

Here's a little numbers comparison just for fun.  Yes, I know there's more to it than RPI numbers but at least it's something concrete:

Marquette (8 AP, 10 coaches)
RPI: 1-25: 2-1
26-50: 3-2
51-100: 5-0
100+: 13-1

Arizona State (14 AP, 11 coaches)
1-25: 0-1
26-50: 7-2
51-100: 2-1
100+: 12-1

At the end of the regular season, ASU should have played a total of two games against the RPI top 25 while we will likely have played seven.  Their biggest wins were two against struggling UCLA, which isn't necessarily saying much.  Anyway, I obviously just proved nothing since there's a lot of basketball to be played.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »
To put it another way, we have beat almost every team in the best conference in USA.  We have beat more ranked teams than anyone else, other than UConn. 

Unless I’m mistaken, we’ve beaten one other team that is currently ranked, and that was 7 weeks ago and they bludgeoned us in the rematch.  So to say we’ve beaten a lot of ranked teams is disingenuous.

We’ve beaten 10 of the 15 other Big East teams (not almost every one).  More importantly, the main reason the BE is so highly regarded is the top 7 teams, the ones that have already earned a ticket to the NCAA tournament.  We’ve only played two of those teams, which is amazing when you think about it.  We killed the unranked one (WV) at home and split with the ranked one (Nova) home and home.

We’ve had four opportunities to earn a truly impressive win (a top 10 team anywhere, a sure-fire NCAA team on the road or on a neutral court).  These are the kinds of games top 10 teams win their fair share of.  We were beaten by double digits in three of them (neutral court against Dayton, at Tenn, at Nova) and won the other against Nova at home.

Heck, I still don't know whether we are closer to the 5th best or 20th best team in the country.  We could be anywhere in between.  The next four games should help clarify what we are.  A true top 10 team would win at least two of them. 

And while Doug Gottlieb is undoubtedly a tool, I wouldn't argue strenuously with anyone who says Marquette doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, because a reasonable argument could be made either way.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »
Unless I’m mistaken, we’ve beaten one other team that is currently ranked, and that was 7 weeks ago and they bludgeoned us in the rematch.  So to say we’ve beaten a lot of ranked teams is disingenuous.

We’ve beaten 10 of the 15 other Big East teams (not almost every one).  More importantly, the main reason the BE is so highly regarded is the top 7 teams, the ones that have already earned a ticket to the NCAA tournament.  We’ve only played two of those teams, which is amazing when you think about it.  We killed the unranked one (WV) at home and split with the ranked one (Nova) home and home.

We’ve had four opportunities to earn a truly impressive win (a top 10 team anywhere, a sure-fire NCAA team on the road or on a neutral court).  These are the kinds of games top 10 teams win their fair share of.  We were beaten by double digits in three of them (neutral court against Dayton, at Tenn, at Nova) and won the other against Nova at home.

Heck, I still don't know whether we are closer to the 5th best or 20th best team in the country.  We could be anywhere in between.  The next four games should help clarify what we are.  A true top 10 team would win at least two of them. 

And while Doug Gottlieb is undoubtedly a tool, I wouldn't argue strenuously with anyone who says Marquette doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, because a reasonable argument could be made either way.

Who has a better argument for being ranked above us?  Memphis, MSU, Missouri?  There are only a handful of teams that have actually beat top 7 teams.  And most of those teams are on the top (UNC, DUKE, UCONN, PITT).  SO... There are going to be teams in the top 10 that have not beat a top 10 teams.  I think then you have to go to conference wins.

And the whole "the teams we beat are not top 25 anymore" is arguable.  The reason is that I see rankings as a "what have you done lately" indicator.  If we are playing a ranked team, that means they are playing like a top 25 team at that moment.  I think that is worth something.   

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
Who has a better argument for being ranked above us?  Memphis, MSU, Missouri? 

Of the teams ranked worse than we are, you could make arguments for:

Michigan State
Clemson
Kansas
Missouri
Wake Forest
Purdue
Villanova
Arizona State

I don't think they're all better than us or any particular one of them is better than us.  What I am saying is that there is not enough evidence to say with any sense of conviction which of these teams is better than others on the list.  Each person could reasonably come to a different conclusion by examining the schedules and results of these teams.  There are other teams (Gonzaga, UCLA) that don't deserve to be ranked ahead of us but would probably be the favorite against us if we played them on a neutral court.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:19 PM »
Apparently he doesn't think we're that overrated.  During the TX A&M/Nebraska game he just picked us to win tomorrow.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
I anyone is making signs for the game, "Doug Gottlieb is overrated" would be a good one.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
I anyone is making signs for the game, "Doug Gottlieb is overrated" would be a good one.
You have to hold the sign until the end, though.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
If Gottlieb picked us to win, we're in trouble.  He said "Pitt is going to kill Providence".  He said give the 9 points, and also said regarding Providence "They are done".

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
DG hates MU b/c when he told Nicki Taggart that he loved her on the balcony of Renee Row, she did not say it back.  It was all downhill for MU from there.

My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
Of the teams ranked worse than we are, you could make arguments for:

Michigan State
Clemson
Kansas
Missouri
Wake Forest
Purdue
Villanova
Arizona State

::)  Very impressie research CT, way to just list all the teams behind us and then say you can make an argument for any of them.
really, you can make an argument for any of those teams?  How about wake, i'd love to see that argument.  They have less wins, a worse conference record, more losses, including 2 that are worse than the USF loss (GT and Virgina) and have lost 5 of the last 9 games they played.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
Losing at home to Penn St and Northwestern certainly makes Sparty better than MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »
Gottlieb is a joke not b/c he says we're over-rated but b/c:

3 weeks ago he said we were over-rated
2 weeks ago he goes on Mike & Mike and lists us first as non #1 seed who could get to the FF
1 week ago he said we were over-rated

What is it Doug?  I care as much about consistency with these guys as I do with that they think of MU.  DG seems to be just a head who throws out crazy opinions to have his name circulated and he's not smart enough to keep those opinions straight.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
If Gottlieb picked us to win, we're in trouble.  He said "Pitt is going to kill Providence".  He said give the 9 points, and also said regarding Providence "They are done".

Well then consider that to be the kiss of death.  Because Doug just said this in his chat:

" I think Marquette will beat UConn, Bradley Center will be crazy. Plus Marquette is much better offensively at home. Especially in transition. "

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25206

GasPasser

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
I understand this man has very bad breath. I have a frienmd who works at ESPN and said DG suffers from some sort of GI syndrome that really makes his breath putrid. Perhaps that is why he is such a sour man?