'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bill Walton  (Read 5785 times)

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: Bill Walton
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 12:08:28 PM »
Just because you have a fond memory of him doesn't make him good at his job. He talks history, but can't really talk about the game in front of him. He regularly gets names wrong, often in multiple different wrong ways. He also tends to go down nonsensical rabbit holes that have nothing to do with the game.

Yeah, when I've watched PAC12 games in the past, I've always been annoyed by how he spends most of the game talking about things other than the game.  The PBP guy has to work extra to provide some actual commentary on what is happening on the court.

Though I do think Walton was good last night.  Perhaps it was a lot of the love he was showing to Marquette that has me biased towards his performance last night, but I thought he didn't stray too  much from game commentary.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
I would guess Over half of the color commentators do not add much to the game or actively detract.

Last night wasn’t some sort of ideal commentary, but it was enjoyable and relevant to an MU fan. 

Would I like to hear that 20 times a season, no. Was it better than the average Marquette game with Simpkins or Elmore.  Absolutely. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
Yep, the game was “plenty competitive” until, with a lot of time left, we ended up getting curb stomped by 20.
NM - i'm an idiot

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
Yep, the game was “plenty competitive” until, with a lot of time left, we ended up getting curb stomped by 20.

Games can be competitive despite a lopsided final score and can be blowouts despite a closer final score. We beat Butler 76-57 last year. It was a competitive game. We lost to SC by 20. It was a competitive game. We lost to Murray state by 19. It was not a competitive game.

A game tied for 30 minutes where one team pulls away at the end is more competitive than a game where one team leads by 15+ the entire way and ends up winning by 9.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
I don't need someone to wax poetically about Marquette's history.  We have the Meat Eaters for that.

I need someone who is going to make observations about the game in which they are working.

This is the first game I had to listen to on the radio in many years. I rather listen to Walton than Tony Smith.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 07:33:52 PM »
I don't need someone to wax poetically about Marquette's history.  We have the Meat Eaters for that.

I need someone who is going to make observations about the game in which they are working.

Walton was great. Funny and informative about Marquette past and present. His observations about the game were solid.

Sorry if he didn’t meet your “needs”. Sad that those “needs” involve a college basketball color man.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
The people that whine about Bill Walton must be, unfortunately, chronically upset individuals.

Lighten up - he’s a color guy and basketball legend with a unique POV. I hope you survived our one game of the year we had to listen to him.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
What?

Here you go:

There is definitely a growing hostility towards the Al era on this board, and I think a good deal of it has to do with Wojo’s lack of success.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »
Walton was great. Funny and informative about Marquette past and present. His observations about the game were solid.

Sorry if he didn’t meet your “needs”. Sad that those “needs” involve a college basketball color man.

You are trying SOOO hard.

Anyway my “needs” were obviously in the context of what a broadcaster can provide when watching a game. Most people would understand that.

At one point he had no idea who was on the floor. At another he said he hasn’t seen anyone on Marquette play.

I expect more than someone telling stories about things that happened 50 years ago.  Sorry that you want to live in the past while watching a basketball game. But I guess since your best days were long ago, that makes sense. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
Here you go:

There is definitely a growing hostility towards the Al era on this board, and I think a good deal of it has to do with Wojo’s lack of success.

Uhhh.  I’m not hostile toward the Al era at all. I just don’t need to hear someone ramble on and on about it while watching a game in 2020.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
Yeah I have no idea who’s “hostile towards the Al era.” Some things that people make up on this board are just...odd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 08:15:43 PM »
Some things that people make up on this board are just...odd.

Oh I agree with you there.  I remember shortly after Wojo was hired somebody on here said that he’d take Marquette to heights not seen since the 70s.  No real basis for the statement.  It was very odd, indeed.  And ultimately false.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
Oh I agree with you there.  I remember shortly after Wojo was hired somebody on here said that he’d take Marquette to heights not seen since the 70s.  No real basis for the statement.  It was very odd, indeed.  And ultimately false.

So getting something wrong is comparable to making stuff up that was never said. Makes sense coming from you.

I believe that was said shortly after MUWarriorPilot told us he flew a B1G AD that told him Wojo would knock it out of the park at MU.

But please. Tell me more about how ProJos hate Al. Lol. What a nut.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:33:02 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
Here you go:

I can honestly say I've never seen something hostile about the Al era posted on this board.

Hostile about posters who were around during the Al era? Absolutely seen it. I think that has more to do with politics and views on the current era of MU basketball.

I said this in the other Bill Walton thread but I enjoyed him last night. It was nice to hear a fan of the program talk glowingly about Marquette (and criticize the reffing)...I would hate it if I had to listen to him for multiple games a season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »

chill out. Have some fun. Walton does.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »
chill out. Have some fun. Walton does.

Yeah talking about the past endlessly is not my idea of fun.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »
I can honestly say I've never seen something hostile about the Al era posted on this board.

Hostile about posters who were around during the Al era? Absolutely seen it. I think that has more to do with politics and views on the current era of MU basketball.

I said this in the other Bill Walton thread but I enjoyed him last night. It was nice to hear a fan of the program talk glowingly about Marquette (and criticize the reffing)...I would hate it if I had to listen to him for multiple games a season.

Yeah, I think I’m conflating hostility towards the Al era with hostility towards some of the posters who were around then (which absolutely does exist).  I tend to share their views when it comes to the current era of Marquette basketball.  As for politics, I stopped reading the Covid board a long time ago and wouldn’t know about that.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2020, 08:46:25 PM »
Yeah, I think I’m conflating hostility towards the Al era with hostility towards some of the posters who were around then (which absolutely does exist).  I tend to share their views when it comes to the current era of Marquette basketball.  As for politics, I stopped reading the Covid board a long time ago and wouldn’t know about that.

Lol. So you quote me about having hostility toward the Al era, and now you say “oh never mind.” 

🙄🙄🙄

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
Yeah talking about the past endlessly is not my idea of fun.

I don’t think you have an idea of “fun”. You’re joyless pretty much all the time. For that I feel genuinely sad.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2020, 07:18:52 AM »
I don’t think you have an idea of “fun”. You’re joyless pretty much all the time. For that I feel genuinely sad.

Lol, what?  You should probably focus a little more on your perceptive and cognitive abilities.

feedback