Bill Scholl Retiring by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:15 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:18:45 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GOO
[Today at 02:58:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Famous North Dakota Alumni  (Read 8720 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Famous North Dakota Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »
I enjoy confusing people with my "accent". I've picked up a number of regional aspects from my travels/years moving around the country. I've got west coast, midwestern (Ohio, Chicago, and SE Wisconsin), southern, Florida (yes they are different) and a little Northeast thrown in there for good measure.

I agree, accents are a fun game.

In my early adult years, my friends could always tell I was drunk because my southern accent came back.  Otherwise, I could turn it on and off at will.

By the way, northern guys are suckers for a southern accent.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Yes we are.  But an Irish accent really weakens my knees.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »
Yes we are.  But an Irish accent really weakens my knees.

;)
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »
I enjoy confusing people with my "accent". I've picked up a number of regional aspects from my travels/years moving around the country. I've got west coast, midwestern (Ohio, Chicago, and SE Wisconsin), southern, Florida (yes they are different) and a little Northeast thrown in there for good measure.

I agree, accents are a fun game.

Now you have a highly honed podcast voice.   8-)

Along those lines, it's crazy when you get a chance to chat with Charlie Berens and he's speaking to you in his regular voice.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
The word that gave her away was 'wash', which she pronounced 'warsh' and the answer was Ft. Wayne.
My Dad (born 1930 and raised in Rockford, IL) used to pronounce it warsh.  I always thought he was just trying to funny when he pronounced it like that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
My Dad (born 1930 and raised in Rockford, IL) used to pronounce it warsh.  I always thought he was just trying to funny when he pronounced it like that.

The say "warsh" down south as well.  Then you "rinch".
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
Dad used to say cat-feesh

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Dad used to say cat-feesh

I used to say micro-feesh
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
In my early adult years, my friends could always tell I was drunk because my southern accent came back.  Otherwise, I could turn it on and off at will.

By the way, northern guys are suckers for a southern accent.

Just remember, y'all is singular and all y'all is plural.

Maybe it was because I spent far too much time in the south but a female southern accent was always a trigger to run the other way for me. Now, if you want to talk about the Sheila accent, woo boy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
I love accents.   I find them fascinating.   Drawls, New England, Yooper, Irish, Canadian, British, Aussie, love em all.   Which is why I did not say anything negative about her accent.   I thought it was 'so awesome'.

No accents from Connecticut.  The Marquette friends were always surprised.  I just always surmised Boston/Rhode Island accents and New York City/Long Island accents just cancelled each other out in Connecticut.  Only word the Midwesterners could detect "something" was the word length. 
My friend from southern Illinois spoke normally except when stating he was doing the "warsh".

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »

My dad, Evergreen  Park, says Worsh.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »
No accents from Connecticut.  The Marquette friends were always surprised.  I just always surmised Boston/Rhode Island accents and New York City/Long Island accents just cancelled each other out in Connecticut.  Only word the Midwesterners could detect "something" was the word length. 
My friend from southern Illinois spoke normally except when stating he was doing the "warsh".

As a nutmegger to say “New Britain” and their accent appears.  You are right that it doesn’t have a strong accent though in the middle of some of the strobgest (you forgot Maine!).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »

There are people from southern Illinois that have a stronger drawl than anyone I've met from eastern Texas or southern Alabama
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
As a nutmegger to say “New Britain” and their accent appears.  You are right that it doesn’t have a strong accent though in the middle of some of the strobgest (you forgot Maine!).

Hard hittin' New Britain!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 12:41:51 AM »

I remember sitting in the hallway of Schroeder my freshman year talking on the phone. One of the floormates walked by looking at me strange. I asked "What???". He said "what happened to your voice? You are talking like someone from the South."
I was talking on the phone to my friends in Alabama and slipped back into a southern accents while talking to them.
To this day, while on customer calls with people in South Carolina and Alabama, my accent changes back.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
Bump
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Why bump this?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
Bump

I thought we were playing North Dakota State, not the University of North Dakota.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam