Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Listened to the Nova announcers on Sirius in the car  (Read 7078 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Listened to the Nova announcers on Sirius in the car
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »

Interesting perspective on Marquette from their radio guys.

Two things in particular the guys talked about several times.

How does DW get so many minutes when he contributes very little. They obviously don't know all the history (injuries etc) but they both felt Dawson should play more cuz DW does nothing offensively.

They also questioned JA minutes and how he is an offensive liability.

Color guy was curious why MU starts three "non scorers".

Overall, they like the MU program but felt this team has too many deficiencies to be a legit threat.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Listened to the Nova announcers on Sirius in the car
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
How does DW get so many minutes when he contributes very little. They obviously don't know all the history (injuries etc) but they both felt Dawson should play more cuz DW does nothing offensively.

Jay Wright answered this question as when they did the trap it was much more effective with Dawson in the game.  Later in the game when he came in the game was all but lost so Nova didn't bother.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
They are right.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
Jay Wright answered this question as when they did the trap it was much more effective with Dawson in the game.  Later in the game when he came in the game was all but lost so Nova didn't bother.

Jay Wright pressured full court much of the first half..against Derrick as well..who hardly did a great job either..threw an awful pass to Juan along sideline that put Juan into a perfect trap situation...

I'll never understand why Buzz paired our PG - whether with Derrick or John - with Steve Taylor as being their backcourt mate against full court pressure.  Burton or Mayo would be ideal in that role..

Dawson faced it 2 times...and we got 10 second call as Steve Taylor held ball for 4 seconds unsure what to do...and Dawson's guy face guarded him..making it difficult to get ball back to Dawson..

And....I certainly don't and won't argue that Derrick right now is a better ball handler than Dawson...but the limits Derrick has offensively hurt this team far more than what 4 turnovers a game from Dawson would..if Dawson got 30 and you want to project worst case scenario...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Boone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
Juan is shooting something like 9-36 from the field in BE games. Painful.

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
I too listened on XM.  They were fair announcers and had a clever way of declaring pity for MU.
Just plain painful.  It is a shame this year that we couldn't determine a legit starting 5.  We definitely have put heart before the horse.  This team has legit ballplayers.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
I like Juan.  He really battles for rebounds.  Reminds me a lot of Trent Lockett.  Wish he could hit a hot.  Jamil is the real head scratcher.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 05:51:23 PM »
I like Juan.  He really battles for rebounds.  Reminds me a lot of Trent Lockett.  Wish he could hit a hot.  Jamil is the real head scratcher.

Trent Locket??? JA is no Trent Lockett.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
Trent Locket??? JA is no Trent Lockett.

He's not even Joe Fulce, even though he has a two knee to none advantage.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
He's not even Joe Fulce, even though he has a two knee to none advantage.

Lol. That is a top notch post.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
You would think people who make it their profession to talk basketball know the game is much more than just scoring. I don't expect message board morons to realize that but those I would.

I'm glad Buzz is smarter.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
You would think people who make it their profession to talk basketball know the game is much more than just scoring. I don't expect message board morons to realize that but those I would.

I'm glad Buzz is smarter.

As evidenced by his convincing victory yesterday.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
As evidenced by his convincing victory yesterday.

So he's a bad basketball coach because he lost a game yesterday at Nova?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
Our 5 starters scored a total of 17points and received at least 2/3 of the minutes.You can not possibly win a game at the High major level with those numbers. We have some nice kids on the team,but we have to many that are not High Major players that are playing a lot of minutes.We just do not have good enough players.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
So he's a bad basketball coach because he lost a game yesterday at Nova?

Not this circle again.  No, it means it's possible that everything he does isn't automatically the right and best way.  We lose this year, Buzz's track record suggests he gets a deserved mulligan, not that he did everything right and that all of the questioning and alternatives proposed by fans, Whitey Rigsby, Kevin O'Neill, and Bill Raftery is uneducated and wrong.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Juan is shooting something like 9-36 from the field in BE games. Painful.

10 for 41 in BE play.  24%

0 for 7 on 3pts in BE play. 0%

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Not this circle again.  No, it means it's possible that everything he does isn't automatically the right and best way.  We lose this year, Buzz's track record suggests he gets a deserved mulligan, not that he did everything right and that all of the questioning and alternatives proposed by fans, Whitey Rigsby, Kevin O'Neill, and Bill Raftery is uneducated and wrong.

Who said everything he has done is automatically the right thing? Of course every decision he makes isn't perfect or going to work to our benefit. I am just responding to your whiny comment that suggested he isn't a smart basketball coach because we lost to a top 10 team on the road yesterday. You implied he isn't any good. So the question is, do you think we can get someone in here that's better or that will have more success than Buzz?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »

You are right about the "so you think Buzz is bad coach because you disagree with argument. It is tired, played out, and lazy. However, you opened the door to it when you attempted to use one game to disprove mujivitz's post about Buzz being smarter than scoopers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.