[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier AD: Big East going to 12 w/in 5 Years; UD, SLU, VCU, Richmond mentioned  (Read 17818 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Starts at 5:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uNgYxM14xdo#t=337

How do we embed video?

Quote me and you can see the BB code. It doesn't look like time anchors work with embedded video, though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNgYxM14xdo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uNgYxM14xdo</a>

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
no Gonzaga mention?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Maybe they will be added in time for the Big East website launch.

79Warrior

• All American
no Gonzaga mention?

No way Gonzaga is interested in getting thousands of FF miles.

tower912

• All American
Sounds about right.  No real surprises. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Aughnanure

• All American
Quote me and you can see the BB code. It doesn't look like time anchors work with embedded video, though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNgYxM14xdo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uNgYxM14xdo</a>

Ohhhh, so it is the flash. Kept coming up blank when I previewed.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Please for the love of god let it be SLU and VCU. UD and Richmond are awful adds
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
This league does not need two more bottom feeders that spend too much on basketball and do not invest in a well-rounded athletic program. 

It should have stayed at eight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
This league does not need two more bottom feeders that spend too much on basketball and do not invest in a well-rounded athletic program. 

Eight teams is hardly a conference in today's day and age. I agree that quality is better than quanity...but only once reach the minimum threshold of 10.

SLU would probably be a bottom feeder most years, but comes with a great TV market. VCU has been a top mid major for the past few years, and is on the verge of being a considered a top basketball program. They would not bottom feed. In fact, I think they would win the Big East this year.

I'm happy to stay at 10 but to be considered a top conference, we will eventually need to expand. But only when the right teams emerge and prove themselves.
TAMU

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
WHO let THAT guy and his SCHOOL in?!
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American

No.

You need television markets, product for television distributors, more NCAA credits, etc.  The fact is that while we might not like larger conferences as fans, there are very logical reasons why conferences expand.  It isn't merely a pissing contest.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Ohhhh, so it is the flash. Kept coming up blank when I previewed.

Yeah, you have to heavily edit the youtube URL too. I don't really get why.

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
Recap: Meet the AD (Indy Event)

"Big East Expansion: I took his statement on expansion to mean (and hopefully I will be corrected if I'm wrong) that the Contract with Fox Sports 1 states that there will be 12 teams in the League within five years. He guessed that their would be one Eastern Team and One Western team added eventually. Stated X is not blocking UD from the Big East. But he did note that X and UD compete for students (not just athletes) and X has a big edge right now being in the Big East."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?25835-Recap-Meet-the-AD-(Indy-Event)&p=404096&viewfull=1#post404096

GGGG

• All American
Recap: Meet the AD (Indy Event)

"Big East Expansion: I took his statement on expansion to mean (and hopefully I will be corrected if I'm wrong) that the Contract with Fox Sports 1 states that there will be 12 teams in the League within five years. He guessed that their would be one Eastern Team and One Western team added eventually. Stated X is not blocking UD from the Big East. But he did note that X and UD compete for students (not just athletes) and X has a big edge right now being in the Big East."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?25835-Recap-Meet-the-AD-(Indy-Event)&p=404096&viewfull=1#post404096

I have heard from a couple people who claim that no such provision exists in the FS contract.  That doesn't mean it doesn't however...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
ABD

🏀

• All American

Groin_pull

• All American
Dayton is a low rent bottom feeder. Screw 'em.

tower912

• All American
Bring on the Flyers!    Go Dayton!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American

tower...come on man, you've avoided my badside pretty well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Dayton should be at the top of the list. They fill their arena, have a passionate (though admittedly annoying) fanbase, and higher revenues than anyone else in consideration. Further, they fit the profile and mission of the current schools. I also like the First Four aspect, because that's annual exposure to kick off the tournament. I also like the idea of a pro-Big East crowd at those games any time a Big East team is playing the first two days.

I know the fans are d-bags and UD doesn't have constant success, but they have the revenue to compete and they are a regular top-100 program. The Flyers are also the biggest sporting event going in their city, which means those fans will stay loyal. I have more faith in their fanbase than SLU's.

To me, UD is the only lock of the four names mentioned.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
Dayton should be at the top of the list. They fill their arena, have a passionate (though admittedly annoying) fanbase, and higher revenues than anyone else in consideration. Further, they fit the profile and mission of the current schools. I also like the First Four aspect, because that's annual exposure to kick off the tournament. I also like the idea of a pro-Big East crowd at those games any time a Big East team is playing the first two days.

I know the fans are d-bags and UD doesn't have constant success, but they have the revenue to compete and they are a regular top-100 program. The Flyers are also the biggest sporting event going in their city, which means those fans will stay loyal. I have more faith in their fanbase than SLU's.

There is nothing factual in this statement, whatsoever.

Again, any support for Dayton should be immediately tossed aside as thoughts of Marquette turning into a mid-major.

🏀

• All American
In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind Dayton if they put some money back into their program.

They haven't paid for a single coach, their facilities need updating and they make more than enough.

Make a commitment and they should be considered.

GGGG

• All American

Again, any support for Dayton should be immediately tossed aside as thoughts of Marquette turning into a mid-major.

Actually there is quite a bit that is factual.  You just don't think those facts are relevant.  

Aughnanure

• All American

SLU is the only lock. Xavier's gonna try hard to keep Dayton out and you can't blame them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks

You may not like UD, but what there isn't factual?  ?-(

Especially the bit about their fans being d-bags.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Avenue Commons

• All American

Absolutely. Dayton is a super fun school and their alumns are great.

The Xavier and Dayton rivalry is the stuff that makes conferences great.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American

Actually there is quite a bit that is factual.  You just don't think those facts are relevant.  

I know they're relevant, but I openly choose to ignore them and campaign against Dayton.

tower912

• All American
PTM, Dayton brings an instant rivalry with Xavier.   They fill their arena.   MU has history with them, albeit near ancient history.    Personally, I have more family and friends in my area who are Dayton alum than are MU alum.   So it would be fun for me.  IMO, it will come down to which schools in the A10 raise their game enough in the next 5 years to merit inclusion.    If the current Flyer coach turns out to the that guy, UD is going to be difficult to exclude.

bilsu

• All American
In my book the only thing that is wrong with Dayton is that they are in Ohio. We already have a team from Ohio. Richmond or VCU gives the league a team in the Sate of Virginia. Take one, but not both. St. Louis gives the league a team in Missouri. Even more important, Missouri is the connecting state between Illinois and Nebraska proving a geographical connection.

GGGG

• All American
I know they're relevant, but I openly choose to ignore them and campaign against Dayton.

Hey, nothing wrong with irrational hatred.  Bring it on!

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
While this video seems to have sparked discussion in regards to future expansion, I'm far more taken aback by Xavier's AD being the one to make such a statement.  You'd think the guy who barley made the list of invitees wouldn't be the one to make such a long-awaited comment.  Yes, I realize expansion is seemingly inevitable and that nothing in the video comes as a surprise, but it's pretty bold for a guy who's school hasn't participated in a single Big East competition to be commenting on the league's future.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

real chili 83

• All American
Dayton will upgrade, and it will honor our history.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
From what I have heard (granted its coming through four or five people), some of the less prestigous schools, *cough* Depaul *cough* Seton Hall *cough* have been lobbying for Dayton. The rest are against it. I have also heard that Marquette specifically is hell bent against Dayton joining.

We left the old Big East to avoid a watered down league. And you want to add Dayton? Seriously? They haven't been to the second weekend once in the past 19 years. They had two good runs, once in 1967 and once in 1984.

But what's worse, they don't bring a new market. If anyone tries to argue that Dayton is its own market...you are wrong. Xavier has us covered.

I agree that rivalries like Xavier Dayton do make conferences great...but they mean jack nowadays. They'd break up north carolina-duke if they thought it could get them more money.
TAMU

Windyplayer

• All American
Dayton should be at the top of the list. They fill their arena, have a passionate (though admittedly annoying) fanbase, and higher revenues than anyone else in consideration. Further, they fit the profile and mission of the current schools.
So does my high school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
From what I have heard (granted its coming through four or five people), some of the less prestigous schools, *cough* Depaul *cough* Seton Hall *cough* have been lobbying for Dayton. The rest are against it. I have also heard that Marquette specifically is hell bent against Dayton joining.

We left the old Big East to avoid a watered down league. And you want to add Dayton? Seriously? They haven't been to the second weekend once in the past 19 years. They had two good runs, once in 1967 and once in 1984.

But what's worse, they don't bring a new market. If anyone tries to argue that Dayton is its own market...you are wrong. Xavier has us covered.

I agree that rivalries like Xavier Dayton do make conferences great...but they mean jack nowadays. They'd break up north carolina-duke if they thought it could get them more money.

It depends what is is.  In television land, they do actually bring an additional market, at least on the local level.  There are 210 DMAs (Designated Market Areas) in this country.  Dayton is one.  Cincinnati is a totally different one.  I don't disagree with you that it is small, some would argue irrelevant, but it is a separate market.  If you turn on CBS in Cincinnati you can get something quite different on the CBS in Dayton during non Prime Time hours based on local channel programming, etc.  Certainly the newscasts are completely different.  On a national programming perspective, no difference.

Cincinnati currently ranked 35th TV market
Dayton 63rd
Glendive, MT remains 210th and will continue to for the rest of time   :P

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Jay Bee

• All American
While this video seems to have sparked discussion in regards to future expansion, I'm far more taken aback by Xavier's AD being the one to make such a statement.  You'd think the guy who barley made the list of invitees wouldn't be the one to make such a long-awaited comment.  Yes, I realize expansion is seemingly inevitable and that nothing in the video comes as a surprise, but it's pretty bold for a guy who's school hasn't participated in a single Big East competition to be commenting on the league's future.

Eh, no big deal. Chico's AD buddy inferred Crean's buyout was a max of $8MM when it was really $16MM. AD's say weird things some times.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Absolutely not. Dayton is a mid-major at best and their alumns are annoying.

The Xavier and Dayton rivalry is the stuff that no one cares about outside of Southwest Ohio.

Fixed.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
It depends what is is.  In television land, they do actually bring an additional market, at least on the local level.  There are 210 DMAs (Designated Market Areas) in this country.  Dayton is one.  Cincinnati is a totally different one.  I don't disagree with you that it is small, some would argue irrelevant, but it is a separate market.  If you turn on CBS in Cincinnati you can get something quite different on the CBS in Dayton during non Prime Time hours based on local channel programming, etc.  Certainly the newscasts are completely different.  On a national programming perspective, no difference.

Cincinnati currently ranked 35th TV market
Dayton 63rd
Glendive, MT remains 210th and will continue to for the rest of time   :P

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Fort Meyers, FL home of Florida Gulf Coast University is ranked ahead Dayton at 62.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
People are forgetting DaytonPride's posts.  We may have gotten lucky suckering Butler and Xavier to join the Big East, but we'll never fool Dayton into leaving the Atlantic 10 for our inferior league.

In the end, none of what any of us thinks about Dayton will matter.  It's what Fox Sports thinks about Dayton that will matter.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dayton flyers

• Walk-On
IMO, it will come down to which schools in the A10 raise their game enough in the next 5 years to merit inclusion.    If the current Flyer coach turns out to the that guy, UD is going to be difficult to exclude.

Archie Miller could be that guy.  He's on a roll as far as recruiting is concerned.  He just landed 4 star sg Darrell Davis.  Davis is the 5th 4 star player that Miller has brought in, the previous UD coach brought in 2 4 star players in 8 years.  I believe that this is the most 4 star players UD has ever had since recruiting services/websites started assigning stars to players.  Miller is entering his 3rd year at UD.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:26:39 AM by dayton flyers »

MU82

• All American
Archie Miller could be that guy.  He's on a roll as far as recruiting is concerned.  He just landed 4 star sg Darrell Davis.  Davis is the 5th 4 star player that Miller has brought in, the previous UD coach brought in 2 4 star players in 8 years.  I believe that this is the most 4 star players UD has ever had since recruiting services/websites started assigning stars to player.  Miller is entering his 3rd year at UD.

I guess you could say Miller is a 4-star general!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

source?

• All American
Archie Miller could be that guy.  He's on a roll as far as recruiting is concerned.  He just landed 4 star sg Darrell Davis.  Davis is the 5th 4 star player that Miller has brought in, the previous UD coach brought in 2 4 star players in 8 years.  I believe that this is the most 4 star players UD has ever had since recruiting services/websites started assigning stars to players.  Miller is entering his 3rd year at UD.

Good job to him. Good luck in the A10 this year, I hope you guys crush it.

Wisco

• Starter
I know I have posted about this before (in the VCU thread a few months ago), but Richmond, at least from a fan-base perspective, would be a terrible add. Alumni support is decent, student support is absolutely mediocre.

I might be biased though, as I attend VCU.

Aughnanure

• All American
I know I have posted about this before (in the VCU thread a few months ago), but Richmond, at least from a fan-base perspective, would be a terrible add. Alumni support is decent, student support is absolutely mediocre.

I might be biased though, as I attend VCU.

Chicken before the egg kind of thing.

feedback