[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz in final minutes vs. USF..  (Read 6222 times)

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz in final minutes vs. USF..
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Pretty serious yeah. That said, if you read about Lombardi his players said during a lot of the  games he was a basket case and his assistants did much of the in game coaching.

This is a good point, because Buzz has no experience in close games other than the USF game.  Especially the past two seasons, when TBW was notorious for its high margins of victory and playing a relaxed brand of basketball.  Of all my concerns this season, Buzz tensing up on the sideline in an Elite 8 game is #1 by a landslide.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
Well played.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
He may have had a touch of the flu as well and not mentioned it for some reason. To me it is odd it manifested itself in a game like this and not, as others have mentioned, the games where we were fighting for our tourney lives.

As for the UNO comment, I'm not sure, but I thought their fans said that when he was coach, that's how he would handle timeouts and write on the court instead of a board (I know his first year, he drew up plays on the court). Also, they said he would break down in almost every press conference. To be honest, after hearing all his weird quirks from them, I thought he was going to be a lot different than he is. He's a bit eccentric (he's winning), but I don't think he's as bizarre as their fans made him out to be. Although, maybe he learned something in his year as an assistant to Crean.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
He needs to ditch those suits and get into something more comfortable like a light blue velour track suit.

If he's gonna imitate Huggy, perhaps knocking back a few before and after the game would help.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
I get anxiety from just watching Frank Martin on the sidelines.  Bo throws out *uckers like they are peanut shells at a Brewers game.  Buzz has stated he is trying to be more controlled on the sideline this season...but I think he needs to get back to his "Walk It Out Fosse" days to physically release some stress.   :D

groove

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
If he's gonna imitate Huggy, perhaps knocking back a few before and after the game would help.

and then drive

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
My wife was commenting on how much he was sweating....dehydrated maybe?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »
Can you imagine what would happen if MU won the title?

holy!
SS Marquette

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Can you imagine what would happen if MU won the title?

holy!

You mean when.
Bring back FFP!!!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »
I hope Junior told him: "You can throw up after the game - right now we need you to coach."

The funny part was when Junior came out.  When he comes out, he stops and gives 5's to the coaches and players on the bench.  Buzz is usually up coaching.  Junior stopped, with a quirky smile, in front of Buzz and holds his hand out until Buzz gives him a 5.  Fortunately, Buzz gave him a 5.  Otherwise we would have had a whole 'nother thread devoted to that subject ...

lurch91

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
I thought the most interesting and intriguing part of Buzz's presser was when he said that he wanted to know how far he could take Marquette while staying between the lines.   Again with the idea that his values and MU's values were in sync but seemed to indicate that there were restrictions in things because he wanted to stay on a narrow path.     Encouraging.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
I thought the most interesting and intriguing part of Buzz's presser was when he said that he wanted to know how far he could take Marquette while staying between the lines.   Again with the idea that his values and MU's values were in sync but seemed to indicate that there were restrictions in things because he wanted to stay on a narrow path.     Encouraging.   

I liked that too. Staying between the lines is an essential at Marquette. Just hope the new president and AD don't think that means de-emphasizing. When Buzz says he'll be here as long as MU wants him, a large part of wanting him is a shared committment to exellence.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
"This is a good point, because Buzz has no experience in close games other than the USF game.  Especially the past two seasons, when TBW was notorious for its high margins of victory and playing a relaxed brand of basketball.  Of all my concerns this season, Buzz tensing up on the sideline in an Elite 8 game is #1 by a landslide"

That's fine, but if Tom Crean, Bo Ryan or any other hated coach on this board couldn't finish a game because of Anxiety 85% of this board would be having a field day. But since its our guy I guess its no big deal.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
That's fine, but if Tom Crean, Bo Ryan or any other hated coach on this board couldn't finish a game because of Anxiety 85% of this board would be having a field day. But since its our guy I guess its no big deal.

No, I totally agree.  It's like when Dom James got the flu a few years back and had to come off the bench against Louisville.  I immediately worried whether he would get the flu in an Elite Eight game or in any tournament game that was CLOSE.  If Eric Gordon or Alando Tucker couldn't start a game because of the flu, 85% of this board would be having a field day.  But since its our guy, I guess it's no big deal.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
No, I totally agree.  It's like when Dom James got the flu a few years back and had to come off the bench against Louisville.  I immediately worried whether he would get the flu in an Elite Eight game or in any tournament game that was CLOSE.  If Eric Gordon or Alando Tucker couldn't start a game because of the flu, 85% of this board would be having a field day.  But since its our guy, I guess it's no big deal.

Can you repeat the part about the things.....That makes no sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:40:24 PM by esotericmindguy »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
Are you guys all unfamiliar with coaches? This is how they operate. It's not a matter of "we're up 20, I can coast from here." They're always teaching, always coaching, always trying to make their team better, always striving for perfection. If they don't do those things, they don't get very far in coaching.

No doubt. There isn't a coach alive that isn't fit for a straight jacket. Being nuts is part of the job description.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
Can you repeat the part about the things.....That makes no sense.

I essentially copied and pasted your overreactions, only I used James' flu as an example rather than Williams' anxiety attack.  It made no sense for the same reason as your posts: the reasoning is specious.  Just because it happened once doesn't mean that it will ever happen again, especially considering how many actual high pressure games Buzz has already coached in without any problems over the past few seasons.. 

(And, I guess I'm not sure why you brought Crean and Ryan into this thread at all, aside from proving that it is, in fact, possible to mention Wisconsin and Indiana in a thread exclusively about Buzz Williams' energy level and health.)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »
He needs to ditch those suits and get into something more comfortable like a light blue velour track suit.

If we ever meet, I will have to kill you for putting that image in my head.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »

I essentially copied and pasted your overreactions, only I used James' flu as an example rather than Williams' anxiety attack.  It made no sense for the same reason as your posts: the reasoning is specious.  Just because it happened once doesn't mean that it will ever happen again, especially considering how many actual high pressure games Buzz has already coached in without any problems over the past few seasons..

Not overreacting at all, one occurrence is all it takes IMO to make it a concern; it's not anywhere near the flu, comparing the two is ridiculous. Anxiety is the leading social disorder in this country, 40 million people suffer from it. Maybe it'll never happen again but to think that anxiety may effect decisions in stressful situations is not overreacting.

(And, I guess I'm not sure why you brought Crean and Ryan into this thread at all, aside from proving that it is, in fact, possible to mention Wisconsin and Indiana in a thread exclusively about Buzz Williams' energy level and health.)

Not sure how I can spell it out to you, just bringing up some names that people despise on this board. Had this happened to them your being naive to think that this wouldn't be a 10 page thread. I mean my goodness, Crean doesn't take extra time to shake Bo's hand and it's 3 pages of crap.

feedback