[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Davante Gardner Interview  (Read 11110 times)

Tigidal

• Starter

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Davante Gardner Interview
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »
He looks to be at a very good weight.

And that's before Todd Smith has ever worked with him. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
Looks to have good postup moves with good hands, but not very athletic or quick. His biggest asset is his wide body, which he uses very well to protect the ball on the finish.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »
I hear he has good ball handling and shooting skills for a player his size, too.  Quickness is the biggest question mark.  If he can get into the proper shape that should come along too.  Lots of potential!!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »
Looks to have good postup moves with good hands, but not very athletic or quick. His biggest asset is his wide body, which he uses very well to protect the ball on the finish.

If he turns out to be a taller DeJuan Blair, I presume we'll all be extremely happy.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:15:53 AM »
BTW, he turned his Facebook name from "Davante' Ox Gardner" to "Davante' Marquette Gardner."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
Strong building blocks are in place.    Nice hands, post moves, touch.   If his athleticism improves, we have a keeper.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
If he turns out to be a taller DeJuan Blair, I presume we'll all be extremely happy.
Damn right---taller and wider--if he turns out near Blair, and with greater size, he can be a horse down low. That is what Blar was--and still is. We have not had a guy like this in years.Llast guy was Robert Jackson, who probably was not quite as big, but was good!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Blair could jump.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
Because he can't jump or isn't very quick his game resembles Robert Jackson's game to me. 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
Zar couldn't jump when he got to MU.  A couple of years of strength and conditioning should make him a bit more bouncy.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
Alonzo Mourning and DaJuan Blair   ::)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »

Was thinking the same thing, but there are some reasons for the comparisons. Mourning also played his high school ball in Virginia, which is why his assistant coach makes that comparison, and Blair is a similar-bodied Big East player we've seen in recent years. But just because they are making those comparisons now doesn't mean we'll hear the same comparisons 3 years from now.

Even still, he looks to be in much better shape than I expected. He's a big guy, but I wouldn't say he looks fat by any means. If he can just put a big more definition on that big frame of his, he could really be a physical presence down low. The main questions are if his skills are as good as advertised. Any time I hear about his hands, his shooting, and his defense, it makes him sound like a five-star prospect, but we all know he isn't. I guess my real hope is that he was written off as a 3-star project as a junior because he weighed well over 300, and now that he's down to 280, he is maybe underrated as a 3.

Regardless, he seems to have the size and strength we've been hoping for down low. I just hope that he can combine that with the skill and athleticism we all desire. Definitely have high hopes for the Big Ox.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
Big Ox or Big Kahuna or Big Man, whatever he wants to be called--Come on down!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
There were two things I liked a lot about the interview.

1.  The first shot that Davante made in the interview was against pressure and was left handed.  All his shots later in the interview were right handed, so it looks like he's comfortable shooting in close with either hand.

2.  When asked what he needed to work on, strength was the first thing that he mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:39:15 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
For the record, it is "Ox," not "Big Ox."

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »

In his defense, the assistant coach said that Davante was the best pure post player since Alonzo Mourning, implying that Alonzo was a better pure post player.  Still, big hype.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
Upside for Davante = Damon Key.

If by Davante's junior year he can do what Key did as a freshman (13 ppg, 5.7 rpg, double figures 22 times, 26 vs ND), I'll be thrilled.

Seems more likely that if that kind of production is coming, it wouldn't be until his senior year.

Between now and then, let's hope for: getting in shape, staying healthy, contributing and gettin a little better each day/week/month/year.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
I think the best thing going for Gardner is Chris Otule. If Otule has improved as much as everyone has said, then Gardner isn't coming in and being depended on to be our big man. He can have 3 years of working with Chris to improve, and may not need to be our big guy until his junior year. Also, he can look to Chris as guidance and a great example of someone who has come in, busted their butt, and really improved. We might have some pretty good depth at the center position in a few years. Also, I liked that he has won a state championship. It seems like all our recruits coming in next year either won or got to the finals of a championship in high school. I think Smith is the only one that his team lost early.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
I think the best thing going for Gardner is Chris Otule.

And vice versa. Otule should be able to improve even more having a true post player to defend in practice.

He can have 3 years of working with Chris to improve, and may not need to be our big guy until his junior year.

Like you say, Gardner and Otule will be here together (most likely) for three years.  Do you think that Gardner will surpass Otule by Otule's senior year or did you get mixed up on the years?

Also, he can look to Chris as guidance and a great example of someone who has come in, busted their butt, and really improved.

I think that this is a very good point.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
Sorry, I meant his senior year. I got mixed up with Otule's red shirt year. I think Otule will be our starter for the rest of his career as long as he can avoid the injury bug.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
Upside for Davante = Damon Key.

If by Davante's junior year he can do what Key did as a freshman (13 ppg, 5.7 rpg, double figures 22 times, 26 vs ND), I'll be thrilled.

Seems more likely that if that kind of production is coming, it wouldn't be until his senior year.

Between now and then, let's hope for: getting in shape, staying healthy, contributing and getting a little better each day/week/month/year.

Here I go being maybe overly optimistic again about a player, somebody let AnotherMU84 know.  I think that Damon Key's career is likely the floor for Gardner.  On the upside, I'll pass on DaJaun Blair, but I'll set a still pretty high mark and say David Boone.  As a transfer from St. Mary (?), Boone only had a two year (?) MU career, but he was a legitimate post threat every time he was out on the floor.  I think that Gardner is a better offensive player right now than Key was his senior year.  While Key didn't arrive at MU in the greatest of shape, but I believe that he was in better shape than Gardner will be when he arrives.  Within a couple of years, I'd expect Gardner to be in better shape than Damon ever was due to the improvements at MU in the facilities and the strength coaching from the O'Neill years.  Key definitely was more ready to play Division I defense than Gardner.  Simply because of the time it will take Gardner to gain Buzz's trust on defense (mentally and physically), I'd expect that Gardner will get off to a slower start than Key who was a starter from the beginning of his freshman year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »
Here I go being maybe overly optimistic again about a player, somebody let AnotherMU84 know.  I think that Damon Key's career is likely the floor for Gardner.  

"Likely" the floor???

C'mon...Damon Key was a Wooden nominee his senior year...one of only 20 players so nominated.  Gardner isn't "likely" to be the next Damon Key anymore than Vander Blue is "likely" to be the next DWade.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
 Lets let our incoming recruits play first before the comparisons come out. Just because Marquette has signed a player doesn't necessarily mean he will pan out or that he is Gods gift to basketball. I love the optimism but where does it stop..

That being said, I root for all the players we get and am just as excited for next years squad to prove everyone wrong again, just like this year.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »
Here I go being maybe overly optimistic again about a player, somebody let AnotherMU84 know.  I think that Damon Key's career is likely the floor for Gardner.  On the upside, I'll pass on DaJaun Blair, but I'll set a still pretty high mark and say David Boone.  As a transfer from St. Mary (?), Boone only had a two year (?) MU career, but he was a legitimate post threat every time he was out on the floor.  I think that Gardner is a better offensive player right now than Key was his senior year.  While Key didn't arrive at MU in the greatest of shape, but I believe that he was in better shape than Gardner will be when he arrives.  Within a couple of years, I'd expect Gardner to be in better shape than Damon ever was due to the improvements at MU in the facilities and the strength coaching from the O'Neill years.  Key definitely was more ready to play Division I defense than Gardner.  Simply because of the time it will take Gardner to gain Buzz's trust on defense (mentally and physically), I'd expect that Gardner will get off to a slower start than Key who was a starter from the beginning of his freshman year.
David Boone was a 6'5" forward with good hops.  Gardner reminds me in no way of Boone.  Gardner is an RJax type post player.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »

"Likely" the floor???

C'mon...Damon Key was a Wooden nominee his senior year...one of only 20 players so nominated.  Gardner isn't "likely" to be the next Damon Key anymore than Vander Blue is "likely" to be the next DWade.

If Key was a Wooden nominee, I bet it was a preseason nomination.  Now the Wooden nominations are made preseason (50), mid-season (30), and just prior to the NCAA tournament (20).  Then a 10 member All-American team is voted from the final list of 20.  Key was a very good player, never an outstanding player.  I'm sure that the Wooden nomination was based on his prior three years as a starter.  I doubt, but don't know that Key was in the final 20.  I know that he didn't make the all-American team.  

Another thing about Key is the amazing consistency of his statistics.  He scored 13.2 to 13.6 points per game, and had the exact same rebounding figures 5.7 for his first three years.  His senior year Curry had graduated, and it would have been a natural assumption that Key's numbers would climb considerably as a result.  While he did get and extra basket and two more rebounds per game in 1993-94, I think that more was expected.  That year was the only year that McIlvaine out rebounded Damon, by half a rebound per game.

I still believe that Gardner has more talent than Key, and IF he gets into condition for the Big East AND can play defense to Buzz's satisfaction sooner rather than later (or not at all), I think that he'll be better statistically than Key.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:33:32 PM by LittleMurs »

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 03:14:14 AM »
I hear he has good ball handling and shooting skills for a player his size, too.  Quickness is the biggest question mark.  If he can get into the proper shape that should come along too.  Lots of potential!!

I also am quite excited about the basketball skills he can provide the team going forward, but think the by far biggest concern is if the kid can handle the physical conditioning demands that Buzz will surely place on him. If Gardner can stay in good shape, i can see him becoming a force by say his junior year. Sizable if though, no pun intended.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »
how often can we expect to see gardner and otule on the floor at the same time?

how about in future years!?

The "average fan" is an idiot.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 07:02:49 AM »
If Key was a Wooden nominee, I bet it was a preseason nomination.  Now the Wooden nominations are made preseason (50), mid-season (30), and just prior to the NCAA tournament (20).  Then a 10 member All-American team is voted from the final list of 20.  Key was a very good player, never an outstanding player.  I'm sure that the Wooden nomination was based on his prior three years as a starter.  I doubt, but don't know that Key was in the final 20.  I know that he didn't make the all-American team.  

The Wooden award back then was a bit different, but he was one of the final 25 nominees.  Having said that, I think you seriously underestimate Damon Key.

The comparison between Gardner and Key coming out of high school isn't even close...Key wins by a mile.  Key was a Top 60 prospect in the country according to HoopScoop and Bob Gibbons, good enough to win Mr. Basketball in a loaded year where Wisconsin had three other Top 100 prospects(McIlvaine, Logtermann, Rankin).  He was invited to two camps that only brought in the Top 75 or so prospects in the country, and named among the best players at one of those camps.  He was the best player on one of the top AAU teams in the country

Gardner isn't on anyone's Top 150, and isn't thought to be among the Top 30 or in some cases Top 40 centers in this class.  The only comparison between the two is size, other than that, Gardner isn't in Key's league.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
Thanks bma...

I don't mind if people project that Gardner might be better than Key, but to say that Key's carreer is the "likely floor" for Gardner means that you are either seriously overestimating Gardner or don't understand how good Damon Key was.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks bma...

I don't mind if people project that Gardner might be better than Key, but to say that Key's carreer is the "likely floor" for Gardner means that you are either seriously overestimating Gardner or don't understand how good Damon Key was.

Agreed..."likely floor" is about as assinine a statement as I've heard in a while...I'm of the mindset that if Gardner can develop into a similar player to Key and produce at the same level Key did in his frosh and soph years by Gardner's senior year, we should all be thrilled...

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
One point that nobody's mentioned is that I have David Boone has Gardner's "ceiling", and its clear from the last few comments that their authors would almost certainly take Damon Key over David Boone.

I was aware that Damon was as highly ranked as he was in high school, and was O'Neill's biggest "catch" of a truly outstanding recruiting year.  Damon also was the most college ready in that class and he started ahead of McIlvaine at center for the bulk, if not all of their freshman years.  Although, Mac did have the concussion problem at the start of his first year.  I probably short Damon, in part, because so much was expected when he came to MU, and then after that great freshman year, he just seemed to stagnate, at least statistically.

Based on the quality of the posters doubting my sanity, I'm almost certainly hyper ventilating regarding Gardner.  However, I really think that he has a special knack for scoring in the lane.  He had great rebounding figures in high school.  Will that transfer to the Division I level?  I can't say that I know.  I hope so.  In no way will he be ready to defend the way Key did form the start.  If he doesn't pick it up quickly, His post scoring won't do MU much good on the bench.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
Before we get all caught up in comparing him to Key and Boone....I would be ecstatic if he could replicate as a freshman Dwight Burke's senior year. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »
Dwight Burke quality would be huge.  I remember seeing Brian Williams of Tennessee and I think he
weight in at 360, he took off the weight and played pretty well as a junior.  Before that not much,
his senior year should be very productive.  First you have to lose the weight, then you have to put
on muscle, it will take a few years.  Otule and Garnder are both projects, Otule may help next year,
but he has been hurt for two years, lets see if he can make a whole season, much like Justin Harrell
of the Pack.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
I was aware that Damon was as highly ranked as he was in high school, and was O'Neill's biggest "catch" of a truly outstanding recruiting year.  Damon also was the most college ready in that class and he started ahead of McIlvaine at center for the bulk, if not all of their freshman years.  Although, Mac did have the concussion problem at the start of his first year.  I probably short Damon, in part, because so much was expected when he came to MU, and then after that great freshman year, he just seemed to stagnate, at least statistically.

Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say that Key "stagnated" while at MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
Key's first 3 years were almost identical statistically.

Stagnate might be one word to use.......consistent might be another.

He did take a nice jump up as a senior.

I know he couldn't jump but he only blocked 7 shots in his entire career?  :o

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/damon_key

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
Key's first 3 years were almost identical statistically.

Stagnate might be one word to use.......consistent might be another.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/damon_key

It wouldn't be ludicrous to argue that Key's best year was his freshman year.  The usual expectation is that a player will show improvement from year to year, but in Key's case what we saw saw from him his freshman year (which was a sweet freshman year) was pretty much who he stayed the next three years.

He did take a nice jump up as a senior.

One basket (two points) and two rebounds a game is a nice jump?  I think that those increases were due more to Ron Curry graduating and being replaced with Roney Eford than any improvement in Damon's game.  Curry was a great rebounder.  I suppose the argument can cut both ways.  Maybe Damon would have had gaudier stats if he hadn't been playing on the same team as Curry his first three years.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Key was a damn good 4 year player and if some say Gardner will be better, that would be great. But let's wait and see how he does this year.

If my memory serves me, Key was not a first option too often, and did a lot of his scoring from 10 to 15 feet. He was a stud however!

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »
Before we get all caught up in comparing him to Key and Boone....I would be ecstatic if he could replicate as a freshman Dwight Burke's senior year. 

TWO THUMBS UP

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »

One basket (two points) and two rebounds a game is a nice jump?  I think that those increases were due more to Ron Curry graduating and being replaced with Roney Eford than any improvement in Damon's game.  Curry was a great rebounder.  I suppose the argument can cut both ways.  Maybe Damon would have had gaudier stats if he hadn't been playing on the same team as Curry his first three years.

Didn't Eford start along with Curry as a freshman for most of the 92-93 season?  I thought that Mcllvaine replaced Curry in the starting line up in 93-94.  Correct me if I am wrong, I was in grade school at the time.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »
My recollection of Damon Key is that he was a very good player as a freshman, but developed a significant weight issue.  As one of the Asst. Coaches used to say to me, it was very difficult to get Key to step away from the buffet.  So. talent was not an issue with him, and I saw him a few years ago and he continues to struggle with his weight.  Eford did end up playing significant minutes as a freshman, primarily because the team was offensively challenged, and the one thing that eford could do was create his own shot.  I recall that he had difficulty understanding the plays, and often looked confused out there, but they really needed his contributions as a freshman.  To return to the Gardner issue, I would be very happy if his skill set is equivalent to Key's, but hope that he does not encounter the same challenges with the training table.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
Gardner is a clone of Damon Key.  Rjax was more athletic
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:55 AM »
Has Gardner suddenly become a top 60 recruit?  If not, you are off base on this clone stuff.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »

He could just be referring to build and size, not actual ability or potential performance.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
He could just be referring to build and size, not actual ability or potential performance.
  I hope he's right!