'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 12:37:10 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 12:36:38 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:48:54 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post your school  (Read 7691 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Post your school
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
you would replace pitt with if they do leave for the big ten here!  I am gonna say either St. Josephs or Xavier.

It has to be football school, there is no other choice.  The key is keeping the football schools together to keep the league together.  This is why I pray that the Big Ten goes after Missouri only. If they do, then the dominoes likely avoid us.

My dream would be Boston College....great football and solid hoops, bring them back to the Big East and capture the Boston market.

That would be huge, but a lot of feathers were ruffled when they left.   

UCF (mentioned by NY Warrior) is a good one for talent rich Florida on the football side.  Sucks for hoops, but helps football.

And though they suck in football and already got kicked out, Temple has football and basketball. 

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »

My dream would be Boston College....great football and solid hoops, bring them back to the Big East and capture the Boston market.

Boston Market, drool.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
1) BC
2) UCF
3) ECU

Pitt staying would be preference #1.  If they stay, I'd like to add one of those teams.  If they would leave, I would like to add two of the three above.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
After seeing the schools being mentioned in this thread, lets all say a quick prayer that Pitt stays in the Big East.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
I do not see any way BC comes back.  I hate to say it but the ACC is just a better athletic conference overall and especially for football.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
what about Missouri? Maybe not geographically ideal, but they were priced to move when the talk about Big Ten expansion began.  Further, they might salivate at the chance to get out of the brutal Big 12 football schedule and be able to compete in a weaker Big East.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »
I do not see any way BC comes back.  I hate to say it but the ACC is just a better athletic conference overall and especially for football.

It's interesting, Collin Cowherd did an analysis on this a few weeks ago.  Since the BCS was started, the ACC is dead last in football.  It surprised me.  The SEC was first, followed by the Pac Ten.   Guess what, the Big East finished 4th, the Big Ten 5th.

Now, his analysis was based on BCS bowl games, but nevertheless it was an interesting take.

ACC hoops has gotten worse since the merger and ACC football did not get the bump they thought they were going to get.  I agree, unlikely that BC comes back but that would be ideal.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »

Not by a lot. (football)
??? (basketball) depends on the year.

Football conferences ( in no particular order)

Big 10(11)                  
Pac 10
SEC
Big 12

ACC is in the tier below these 4 with ???

BEast is in the next tier, but in some years can compete at the top.

A quick look of this years final poll shows 3 BEast teams and 4 ACC teams in Top 25.  Other receiving votes 2-1 BEast.  I know there are other factors, but it is not obvious that ACC is that much better in Football.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
In this order:

BC
UCF
Memphis

All those because of football and media market considerations.

If we are just talking basketball:

UMass
Butler

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
It's interesting, Collin Cowherd did an analysis on this a few weeks ago.  Since the BCS was started, the ACC is dead last in football.  It surprised me.  The SEC was first, followed by the Pac Ten.   Guess what, the Big East finished 4th, the Big Ten 5th.

Now, his analysis was based on BCS bowl games, but nevertheless it was an interesting take.

ACC hoops has gotten worse since the merger and ACC football did not get the bump they thought they were going to get.  I agree, unlikely that BC comes back but that would be ideal.

Depends on how the analysis was done but that is questionable criteria in any case.  When the BCS started you had Miami, BC and Virginia Tech in the BE.  Miami has as many BCS wins as a Big East member as the rest of the conference combined.  Also, West Virginia has competed on a national level in a way that few if any current Big East schools have.

In any case, ACC football brings in more than double the revenue of the Big East and has a per game attendance advantage of about 13,000.  I can't imagine they are eager to trade games against Florida St., VT, Miami and Clemson for WVU, Cincy, UConn and USF.

From a basketball perspective, I think the Big East may have a slight edge right now but the ACC has arguably the two most prominent programs in the country in Duke and UNC. 

Its a tough sell.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
Maybe Butler's 11-1 FCS team should play Memphis' 2-10 FBS team for the right to join.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
Don't sleep on the Service Acadamies.  Navy for example would make a ton of sense in the Big East.  Football is good and could be better in a BCS league, and basketball has had success in the past(David Robinson).

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »
Should Pitt Leave for the Big Ten then my vote is for Memphis.  The school has great basketball and football programs and my only concern would be on the academic side of things, but froma revenue standpoint Mephis is vastly superior to Xavier/St. Joe's ability to generate funds.

Is Memphis really that worse academically then say a Cincinnati, Lousiville, West Virginia?  Personally, i really don't worry about academics in athletic conferences.  Over the years I've eliminated the student from the idea of a "student athlete".

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »
I say let Notre Dame join the Big East with the condition that they can keep 100% of their TV reveue for their home games and maybe keep their bowl money for the first few year.  Bribing ND to join for football is a grea investment.

If ND joined for football, just had another home and home game for basketball and call it a day. 

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
what about Missouri? Maybe not geographically ideal, but they were priced to move when the talk about Big Ten expansion began.  Further, they might salivate at the chance to get out of the brutal Big 12 football schedule and be able to compete in a weaker Big East.

good point

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
Don't sleep on the Service Acadamies.  Navy for example would make a ton of sense in the Big East.  Football is good and could be better in a BCS league, and basketball has had success in the past(David Robinson).

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »
Depends on how the analysis was done but that is questionable criteria in any case.  When the BCS started you had Miami, BC and Virginia Tech in the BE.  Miami has as many BCS wins as a Big East member as the rest of the conference combined.  Also, West Virginia has competed on a national level in a way that few if any current Big East schools have.

In any case, ACC football brings in more than double the revenue of the Big East and has a per game attendance advantage of about 13,000.  I can't imagine they are eager to trade games against Florida St., VT, Miami and Clemson for WVU, Cincy, UConn and USF.

From a basketball perspective, I think the Big East may have a slight edge right now but the ACC has arguably the two most prominent programs in the country in Duke and UNC. 

Its a tough sell.

My guess is that he included by conference based on where those schools were at the time.  So the Big East got credit for Va Tech, Miami, etc when they were in the Big East.  Just a guess.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
Boise State

They would kill to be in a BCS conference
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »
1. Boston College

2. Xavier

3. Dayton

4. Butler (maybe they could play some games at Conseco Fieldhouse)

5. UCF

Boston College would be optimal because they would also bring in football.  Also, since they are the Eagles, maybe MU would feel a need to go back to Warriors (can't have the same names in the same conference).  If Xavier/Dayton/Butler join, then there would have to be incentives to a non football school or maybe one with a lower level team (Nova) to form a D-I caliber team.  Not a big fan of UCF joining, but have seen this as a possibility.  Definitely do not want Memphis.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »
I'd vote for BC coming back but I can't see why they would at this point.  Granted, if 'Nova or Georgetown decide to move up to the FBS, we wouldn't necessarily need a football school.  In that case, I'd take Xavier or Dayton.

I still think Temple would be interesting to consider, as they were a BE football-only member for years and have great basketball tradition.  Yet, it remains to be seen whether their football program can maintain the decent success achieved this year.