[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bob Dukiet dead at 61  (Read 17633 times)

ecompt

• All American
Bob Dukiet dead at 61
« on: May 30, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »
story doesn't say what the cause of death was.
R.I.P.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bob Dukiet dead at 61
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
story doesn't say what the cause of death was.
R.I.P.

Wow, that's awfully young (almost the same age as my dad passing).  RIP.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090530/BASKETBALL03/905309962/-1/NEWS

He was there at MU for my first two years.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »
Did a search for more info...got this as a hit:

"Bob Dukiet was dismissed yesterday as Marquette University's coach after two consecutive losing seasons and several conflicts with players. Athletic Director Bill Cords said in a news release that Dukiet had been offered the position of assistant to the athletic director for the remaining three years of his contract.

Dukiet, who could not be reached for comment, is 41 years old and a former coach at St. Peter's. He was hired by Marquette in 1986. In three seasons, he compiled a 39-46 record, including 10-18 two years ago, the university's worst in 23 years. The Warriors were 13-15 this season.(AP)"

EDIT: Dukiet had five 20+ win seasons at Gannon (PA) after leaving MU. Interestingly, Rollie Massimino interviewed for his position after Dukiet was fired there.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:03:38 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
Time really does fly!  RIP Bob.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
wow that is too bad.. iwas there for the "Bob Dukiet Farewell Tour"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »
RIP Bob Dukiet.  I lived through the 3 years and despite being painful, it was a blast.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »
Attached is a piece about him from the NY Post. I recall they interviewed him when MU went to the Final 4. He was a great personality. I'd love to hear T Smith's or Joe Nethen's perspective.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05312009/sports/moresports/piano_playing_coach_went_out_on_happy_no_171841.htm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:07:38 AM by Knight Commission »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
I covered him when he coached at St. Peter's. A very very nice guy but someone who was incredibly out of his league at MU. He recruited the same type of kids he did at St. Pete's and it just didn't work. The low points were when he brought the team back to NY and lost blowouts to Fordham and Iona.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
RIP piano man.

I hear he retired to FL to pursue that passion in his life.

so sad to hear-

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
I still can remember him playing piano at McCormick for our floor.  Seemed to have a zest for life.  Too young to pass.

RIP

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
He was the coach during my final 2 years at MU.  Lots of energy and passion then.  It just didn't quite work out on the floor.   Go with God and rest in peace, coach. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
Glad to see that this board isn't taking potshots at Bob Dukiet after his passing. I'm sorry the same can't be said for the classy posters on the other board. Nothing like rehashing a man's shortcomings after he's dead. That sounds exactly what being a good Catholic is all about.

Having met him a couple times around campus, I found Dukiet to be a very friendly guy. I'm sorry to hear of his passing at such a relatively young age.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »
I can't believe this wasn't Crean's fault?

I still loved the guy for telling Digger to go f himself.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
Glad to see that this board isn't taking potshots at Bob Dukiet after his passing. I'm sorry the same can't be said for the classy posters on the other board. Nothing like rehashing a man's shortcomings after he's dead. That sounds exactly what being a good Catholic is all about.

Having met him a couple times around campus, I found Dukiet to be a very friendly guy. I'm sorry to hear of his passing at such a relatively young age.

The only shortcoming was that he was overmatched as a D1 coach.  He clearly was a very good small school coach, and I shared two conversations with him as a student that lead me to believe he was a quality individual.  (As opposed to his predecessor.) 

Gsemler

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
To all, please forgive me, but as a fellow Jesuit alumni i.e., Canisius College, please let me also share about Bob Dukiet.  I lived up the street from Bob Dukiet in Livingston, NJ.  He was a Parade HS All American, All State in basketball for NJ and excelled at baseball i.e., played that too at Boston College, and tennis.  He was one of the first of our towns notible athletes as all towns in America have.  He was very reserved and never called any undue attention to himself despite his success. 

Whitey was his nickname due to the blonde hair suffered from stomach cancer for over a year.  He also had diabetes.  Whitey was two years older than myself, but we both play b-ball for Livingston HS.  I scrimmaged a great deal against him as the practice was for our JV to scrimmage the varsity on a regular basis.  Later I played against him in college as my school Canisius College played Boston College.  But, this was after Bob Cousy who recruited Whitey had left after Whitey's sophomore year and also after Whitey had torn up his knee.  Canisius played at BC and we got the crap homed out of us.  They called 23 fouls against us to 3 against BC.  We didn't have a chance.  I was only a sophmore at the time and now Whitey was a senior at BC, but regulated to a non-starter role due to his injured knee.  We both got in the game at mop up time, myself at guard and Whitey at small forward.  I never got a chance to speak with him at the game, but sometimes that is how it goes.  I do remember as a senior in HS watching him drop 30 against Holy Cross on national television when he was a sophmore.  Holy Cross at the time was their arch rival.  This was back in the day when all of the powers or at least most of them played as independents.  A far simpler time then today.  As you have indicated his time at Marquette was less then desireable.  We all wish it could have been better.  But please let me share with you.  He was and always will be a first class guy.  Despite the setbacks at Marquette, I never ever read or head him badmouth the school or anyone connected with your fine university.  I would hope you all remember him for that.  He stood for the ideals and character you'd want you son to have as a person of success or role model.  You can't find fault with that.  61 years of age is too soon.  Also he departed from us almost as quietly as he lived amongst us.  All I can say growing up in the same neighborhood and having played against him in HS and in college, when he played, nobody played better.  I will retire from you board, because I don't belong here.  Marquette is first class in my book and always will be.  I'm glad just to be part of the Jesuit family of institutions.  I only ask that you remember Whitey as a class guy who wanted nothing but the best for your university. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:26 AM »
Wow Gsemler...thank you so much for sharing your story.  A class act no doubt!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
Thanks  for posting.  None of  us knew about the stomach cancer, as you say he left us quietly. I wondered what had happened. You are welcome on our board anytime. Condolences to you and all his friends.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
To all, please forgive me, but as a fellow Jesuit alumni i.e., Canisius College, please let me also share about Bob Dukiet.  I lived up the street from Bob Dukiet in Livingston, NJ.  He was a Parade HS All American, All State in basketball for NJ and excelled at baseball i.e., played that too at Boston College, and tennis.  He was one of the first of our towns notible athletes as all towns in America have.  He was very reserved and never called any undue attention to himself despite his success. 

Whitey was his nickname due to the blonde hair suffered from stomach cancer for over a year.  He also had diabetes.  Whitey was two years older than myself, but we both play b-ball for Livingston HS.  I scrimmaged a great deal against him as the practice was for our JV to scrimmage the varsity on a regular basis.  Later I played against him in college as my school Canisius College played Boston College.  But, this was after Bob Cousy who recruited Whitey had left after Whitey's sophomore year and also after Whitey had torn up his knee.  Canisius played at BC and we got the crap homed out of us.  They called 23 fouls against us to 3 against BC.  We didn't have a chance.  I was only a sophmore at the time and now Whitey was a senior at BC, but regulated to a non-starter role due to his injured knee.  We both got in the game at mop up time, myself at guard and Whitey at small forward.  I never got a chance to speak with him at the game, but sometimes that is how it goes.  I do remember as a senior in HS watching him drop 30 against Holy Cross on national television when he was a sophmore.  Holy Cross at the time was their arch rival.  This was back in the day when all of the powers or at least most of them played as independents.  A far simpler time then today.  As you have indicated his time at Marquette was less then desireable.  We all wish it could have been better.  But please let me share with you.  He was and always will be a first class guy.  Despite the setbacks at Marquette, I never ever read or head him badmouth the school or anyone connected with your fine university.  I would hope you all remember him for that.  He stood for the ideals and character you'd want you son to have as a person of success or role model.  You can't find fault with that.  61 years of age is too soon.  Also he departed from us almost as quietly as he lived amongst us.  All I can say growing up in the same neighborhood and having played against him in HS and in college, when he played, nobody played better.  I will retire from you board, because I don't belong here.  Marquette is first class in my book and always will be.  I'm glad just to be part of the Jesuit family of institutions.  I only ask that you remember Whitey as a class guy who wanted nothing but the best for your university. 

Appreciate your insights.  I always cheer for Canisius, Fordham and the other Jesuit schools when I can.

J

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »
Wow Gsemler...thank you so much for sharing your story.  A class act no doubt!

+1. RIP, Coach Dukiet.
We Are Marquette

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
Wasn't one of the resons he was hired was because his name rhymed with Marquette?  The guy was awful and set MU's basketball program back so far that we are lucky the program was able to recover.   It's sad that he died, but boy was he a horrible coach!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »
Wasn't one of the resons he was hired was because his name rhymed with Marquette?  The guy was awful and set MU's basketball program back so far that we are lucky the program was able to recover.   It's sad that he died, but boy was he a horrible coach!

He wasn't the greatest of coaches, but a lot of Marquette's problems at the time were systemic.  The fact that we were soon headed to the MCC says a lot more about the state of Marquette basketball at the time than it does the coaching.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »

Hardly the reason for the hire..., we had another coach hired after his surprising success in the NCAA's, and he was excited to come.  Apparently his existing contract had some strong exit prevention which his school decided to enforce- he then  held a presser wherein he (through his tears) stated he had decided to stay put.  As things would happen, Coach Dukiet was hired relatively late-season.
While he was not a strong recruiter, he was not a bad coach.  If you had been there, you would know this.  Further, he was not flamboyant, nor flip, and didn't fare well with the alumni or press.  That's why he failed at MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »
Hardly the reason for the hire..., we had another coach hired after his surprising success in the NCAA's, and he was excited to come.  Apparently his existing contract had some strong exit prevention which his school decided to enforce- he then  held a presser wherein he (through his tears) stated he had decided to stay put.  

Who was that?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
Mike Newell from Arkansas-Little Rock.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
Mike Newell from Arkansas-Little Rock.

Thank you.  I didn't know that.  I do remember that Majerus left to join the Bucks pretty late in the year.  I believe it was summer already.

I just had to look up Mike Newell.  He looked like he was doing good things, but then left UALR to go to Lamar.  Strange career move.  He's now at Arkansas - Monticello.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
I was there..he was an emarassment.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
Majerus couldn't take the heat of being MU's head coach. His tenure resulted in 3 straight NIT berths. Speculation was that the powers that be at Marquette were becoming increasingly dissatisfied with him. Rick's friend and Bucks coach, Don Nelson, appointed him as the Bucks' third assistant coach in June. This was largely viewed as a promotion for Rick. However, his MU salary and shoe contract with New Balance was 3-4 times. what the Bucks were paying him. It accomplished Rick saving his face, however.
Meanwhile, Hank Raymonds aka athletic director, hired Newell and the next day after he backed out, named Dukiet as coach. I believe that was either July 4 or 5.
In short, Majerus bf'ed Marquette by quitting in June.  
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »
You guys who are older-timers than I am can correct this if I'm not spot on--but didn't Majerus force Hank out as coach because he was percieved as the young coaching star on the rise, and threatened to go elsewhere if he didn't get to be MU's head coach?  As I recall, Hank stepped aside earlier than he wanted to in order to keep Fat Rick.  Then Majerus bolted when he couldn't handle the job, giving MU the aforementioned bf.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

Meanwhile, Hank Raymonds aka athletic director, hired Newell and the next day after he backed out, named Dukiet as coach. I believe that was either July 4 or 5.
In short, Majerus bf'ed Marquette by quitting in June.  

That's probably why New Orleans fans feel about Buzz the way they do, because of the lateness in which Buzz left them.  Just as MU fans were upset at when Rick left MU.   

That is no time to be hiring a head basketball coach....for either school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
I was there..he was an emarassment.

Ridiculous.  Bob Dukiet was never an embarrassment.  He was over his head at a program that had become insular and inbred.  Embarrassment is Rick Majerus in general being a raving A-hole.  Embarrassment is Mike Deane storming around like a maniac.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »
Sultan, I think you read it wrong.  Emarassment is a new word meaning:  in over one's head.

Embarrassment, on the other hand, could be applied to Mike Deane and his habit of urinating on his own necktie in front of the urinal at Turner Hall.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
I'm talking strictly basketball...he was horrible and yes our teams were embarassing.  Whether he was in over his nead or not is irrelevant, he was an embarassment.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
I'm talking strictly basketball...he was horrible and yes our teams were embarassing.  Whether he was in over his nead or not is irrelevant, he was an embarassment.

Must live a pretty sad life if you feel the need for calling out a guy who died too soon on a message board.  Keep it up chief. 

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
I think everyone forgets that O'Neill screwed Northwestern by leaving in the middle of summer as well.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
Relax Reinko...I said in an earlier post it's sad to see someone 61 succumb to something like that.  It's terrible.  However, I am being quite honest when talking about his coaching tenure at MU.  Let's not make him out to something he wasn't just because he died.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
Son of Piano Man is sad - R.I.P. Bob
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
n/m

mm24

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »
Coach Dukiet was never an embarrassement! He was a very good coach, and an even better human being. He was class personified. I think some people forget Marquette University was very much different then than it is today. They had a Mom and Pop mentality back then. They were an independent, and the emergence of the Big East and the ACC was very profound.
If Charles Luter wouldn't have blown out his knee on the 1st day of practice that 1988-89 team would have easily been 18-10 instead of 13-15. In fact they were 4 points away from being in the NIT that year. Also that team was very young, 7 players were either Freshman or Sophmores.
If one takes a look at Coach Dukiet's 1st three years at Marquette, and Mike Krzyzewski's at Duke, they are virtually identical. Look it up! Duke's faithful wanted Krzyzewski fired too! The only difference between Dukiet and Krzyzewski is that Krzyzewski was working for a better athletic director who believed in his vision for the program and stuck with him.
He always represented the university with class, and even after he departed he never once spoke ill of the university.
He wasn't just a good coach, he was a great coach, and an even better human being,who was very humble! He won 64% of the games he coached over 17 seasons.
RIP Coach Dukiet

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
he was a great coach

You can't call a guy a great coach when he went 39-46 at MU. 

Nothing against the guy, but your argument that if we had stuck with him for longer we would have had a Mike Krzyzewski on our hands is wishful thinking.  When his best season was when he was coaching another coach's players his first season as coach (86-87 we went 16-13) that doesn't bode well for his ability to lead a program in a positive direction. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
I think that we can all agree that he proved he was a fine or good coach at smaller programs.

JNethen50

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
Hi from Joe Nethen,
I don't think anyone can realistically comment on Bob Dukiet unless you really knew him.
He was an extremely affable, smart and talented guy. He was cum laude in his class at Boston College in Finance, and an assistant coach at Princeton.
He actually was a very good coach who treated his players well. Frankly, he had the impossibly daunting task of coaching a bunch of immature, out-of-control kids who behaved like animals, and who were admittedly not the most talented. Consider that truth when you denounce his record, and alleged "bad relationships with certain players". He was too much of a class-act and a gentleman to ever talk badly about anyone. He cared about all his players and staff, and was always there to talk to. That may be an unacknowledged and less celebrated quality for a college coach. It meant a lot to us students under the pressures of playing in the NCAA, and constantly living in a glass house, always under scrutiny, and held to standards that other students are not.
He was a really funny, well-spoken, old-school, guy who was actually probably too classy for Marquette, and the yelling slobs and often ill-mannered idiots of the NCAA. Yeah, he was quirky, and that made him hilarious. I have talked to several other of his players, and we all felt these positive ways about  Coach. He certainly helped springboard several to the pros. Winning isn't everything, and screaming at and berating your players constantly isn't always successful coaching. Sometimes it's more important to have known a man you would want to strive to become like, than if he had the winningest record. We're not "trying to make him into someone he wasn't because he's dead" (snort). Some of you just sound immature, disrespectful, silly and like you're trying to sound cool about someone and a team you have no real experience with. It is certainly not cool to "dis" an excellent man who's just died, that many of us dearly loved, and not have the balls to even identify yourself.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:23:48 AM by JNethen50 »

mm24

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
You can't call a guy a great coach when he went 39-46 at MU. 

Nothing against the guy, but your argument that if we had stuck with him for longer we would have had a Mike Krzyzewski on our hands is wishful thinking.  When his best season was when he was coaching another coach's players his first season as coach (86-87 we went 16-13) that doesn't bode well for his ability to lead a program in a positive direction. 
We'll never know if Marquette would have had a Mike Krzyzewski on it's hands, because Coach Dukiet didn't have an AD who believed in him like Coack K did. As I said earlier if Charles Luter hadn't been injured, that season would have been much different. He really was a good coach. How many other Marquette coaches have a career winning record of 64%.
We live in a society were we want everything instantly, college basketball just isn't that way. Sometimes you can catch lighting in a bottle and win quickly, but more often than not it takes time to build a program. Look at Tom Breanan at Vermont, they lost for many years, but they stuck with him and he turned that program into a winner and a Sweet 16 birth.
He did a good job and was very close to turning it around.

mm24

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
Hi from Joe Nethen,
I don't think anyone can realistically comment on Bob Dukiet unless you really knew him.
He was an extremely affable, smart and talented guy. He was cum laude in his class at BU in Finance, and an assistant coach at Princeton.
He actually was a very good coach who treated his players well. Frankly, he had the impossibly daunting task of coaching a bunch of immature, out-of-control kids who behaved like animals, and who were admittedly not the most talented. Consider that truth when you denounce his record, and  alleged "bad relationships with certain players". He was too much of a class-act and a gentleman to ever talk badly about anyone. He cared about all his players and staff, and was always there to talk too. That may be the unknown and less celebrated great quality for a college coach, when you are a student and player in the NCAA, and constantly living in a glass house, always under scrutiny, and held to standards that other students are not.
He was a really funny, well-spoken, old-school, guy who was actually probably too classy for Marquette, and the yelling slobs and often ill-mannered idiots of the NCAA. Yeah, he was quirky, and that made him hilarious. I have talked to several other of his players, and we all felt these positive ways about  Coach. He certainly helped springboard several to the pros. Winning isn'tr everything, and screaming at and berating your players constantly isn't always successful coaching. We're not "trying to make him into soemone he wasn't because he's dead" (snort), and some of you just sound immature, disrespectful, stupid, mis-informed, silly and like you're trying to sound smart and cool about someone and a team you have no real experience with. Relax.
Thank You Joe Nethen, well said! It's a shame that you weren't able to finish your career are Marquette, you were really starting to come on as a player. I think at the time during your last season you were leading the MCC in FG or FT %. I hope life is treating you well. I have fond memories of your time at MU.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 12:35:52 PM »
How many other Marquette coaches have a career winning record of 64%.

Off the top of my head - Al McGuire, Hank Raymonds, Rick Majerus, Mike Deane, and Tom Crean before 2008-09.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
Is this just one guy registering accounts to post self-affirming spam, or are we being overrun by the silent majority of lurkers that are all huge Dukiet fans?  :P

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
Wasn't one of the resons he was hired was because his name rhymed with Marquette? 

Street and Smiths basketball actually said in their college basketball preview mag back then that the best thing about Marquette basketball that year was that Dukiet rhymed with Marquette.  I was 12ish and have never forgotten it.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

feedback