[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 111730 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
“I don’t think any decent human being enjoys recruiting.”

--Al McGuire
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
If you're in the "basketball is a business" boat, then that's your opinion and I know I won't change it. But by the same token, I truly believe Marquette represents more than basketball and anyone with Marquette on the front of their shirt, their resume, or their business card should aspire to something better ethically than the "Just win, baby" idiocy that new poster Al Davis likes to spout constantly. I care about winning. I also care about how we win. I'm not a fan of these types of tactics whatsoever.

Like it or not, this is how successful programs operate in today's world of college athletics. If you want to win, you do what's best for the program as a whole, not necessarily what's best for individual players. Unfortunately, Wally is a senior who isn't going to be a key contributor to the team next year so, in the minds of coaches, he's wasting a scholarship that could be going to a player who has a better chance to contribute next season and potentially beyond. Programs that end up "wasting" scholarships on non-contributors rarely have extended runs of success.

Would you rather have the 2010-11 MU team feature Crowder, DJO and Butler or Mbao, Hazel and Christopherson? I know, I know, those departures didn't go one for one with those arrivals, but that gives you an idea of what you're looking at if programs don't clear "wasted" scholarships from time to time. It's an ugly side of the game, but it's still part of the game.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:02:34 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
Well...maybe not exactly, but the Uthoff situation at UW sure felt pretty similar to that.

Didn't UW make back-to-back Final Fours after the Uthoff situation.
Let's just hope this doesn't set back Marquette's program the way the DJ Newbill situation did.

Really, I hope Wally didn't get hosed here. It would reflect poorly on Wojo, IMO.
But the notion that this would have some long-lasting negative implications for the program is silly.

brandx

« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »
Spurning the outright payments or deference to the Chicago AAU/high school scene and this are not even close situations.

I'm not talking recent. This was back 25 years - give or take - or so ago.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
I'm not talking recent. This was back 25 years - give or take - or so ago.

So am I -- do you think this is a recent phenomenon

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »
Nvm, mu82 said it better than I ever could
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:28:57 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
But to answer onepost's question, no. No one would bat an eye if it was Sacar or Sandy.

For what it's worth, might Wojo face some criticism from his colleague coaching the women's team.  If Sandy gets woj-bombed, could it drive him and his half-sister to both leave.  That might be a big blow to the rebuilding women's program that Coach Kieger might resent Wojo for.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2016, 03:43:39 PM »
For what it's worth, might Wojo face some criticism from his colleague coaching the women's team.  If Sandy gets woj-bombed, could it drive him and his half-sister to both leave.  That might be a big blow to the rebuilding women's program that Coach Kieger might resent Wojo for.

Zero chance of getting Ella now.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
Really, I hope Wally didn't get hosed here. It would reflect poorly on Wojo, IMO.

Define hosed?  He can likely still attend Marquette....

1) With a track scholarship, but not play basketball.  He gets a degree and lives a life with no college debt.

2) Himself or his family *cough* pay for the final credits he needs to graduate - and Wojo would welcome him as a walk-on

3) He attempts to get a track and field sponsorship - which could pay for schooling and perhaps walk onto the basketball team (I think we concluded tack sponsorship wouldn't affect basketball amateur status)

I mean the most "hosed" is situation 2, and he'd still end up with less college debt that most people.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »

1) With a track scholarship, but not play basketball.  He gets a degree and lives a life with no college debt.

2) Himself or his family *cough* pay for the final credits he needs to graduate - and Wojo would welcome him as a walk-on

3) He attempts to get a track and field sponsorship - which could pay for schooling and perhaps walk onto the basketball team (I think we concluded tack sponsorship wouldn't affect basketball amateur status)

I mean the most "hosed" is situation 2, and he'd still end up with less college debt that most people.

If any of those situations occur I'm totally fine with this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »

In my mind, hosed would mean initially being told he would be a scholarship member of the men's basketball team as long as he retains eligibility, but now being told he no longer has that scholarship for some reason other than his own malfeasance.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I do love the maturation of MU news. Denial of the event, disparage whoever stated the event, come up with multiple other ways the event went down, justify the event when it becomes obvious it occured and finally tear apart the coach for said event once coach leaves for different job.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:42 PM »
Didn't UW make back-to-back Final Fours after the Uthoff situation.
Let's just hope this doesn't set back Marquette's program the way the DJ Newbill situation did.

But the notion that this would have some long-lasting negative implications for the program is silly.
I remember people saying that when Newbill got dropped that Buzz would never get another player from Pennsylvania. As far as I can remember he did not get one. However, those bad vibes did not pass on to Wojo, so you are right they do not last forever. There is a difference though in pissing off coaches in PA than pissing off coaches in your schools home state.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 21, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »
Has this ever happened in the history of any program?
I didn't say that it had happened, what I said is this is a real worst case scenario.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #364 on: April 21, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
There is a difference though in pissing off coaches in PA than pissing off coaches in your schools home state.
...or pissing off your program's latest NBA lottery-pick.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 21, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
You really think the Ellenson family of Nowhere, Wisconsin is going to get more media traction than Duke legend (and presumptive K successor) Steve Wojciechowski?
More? No.

Do you think that someone at sometime may ask them their opinion andfeelings on the situation? Yes.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
I remember people saying that when Newbill got dropped that Buzz would never get another player from Pennsylvania. As far as I can remember he did not get one. However, those bad vibes did not pass on to Wojo, so you are right they do not last forever. There is a difference though in pissing off coaches in PA than pissing off coaches in your schools home state.

If you think this is going to stop Wisconsin kids from going to MU....you are insane.

He got 2 years of a free education. After being at Minnesota for 2 years he should have been able to graduate.

Evan Anderson redshirted at UW and had a year left when he was nudged out.

UW is somehow still getting in state recruits.......

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

I think you overestimate how much this will piss off high school coaches in Wisconsin. At worst, this pisses off the coach of Rice Lake
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 21, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Evan Anderson redshirted at UW and had a year left when he was nudged out.

UW is somehow still getting in state recruits.......

Big easy got married & graduated early & scored a near six figure salary. He still hangs around the program. Not comparable

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 21, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »
I think you overestimate how much this will piss off high school coaches in Wisconsin. At worst, this pisses off the coach of Rice Lake

+1 he's 4 years removed from HS. The lasting impact will be the relationship with HE, which - depending on how acrimonious this separation is - could be more detrimental than if he was never here.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 21, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »
Matty V confirmed Wally is out via twitter and said story is coming.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:18:08 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »
Can't believe he cut Christian Haffner like that smh

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 21, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »

I think the much worse part is you've burned bridges with your future NBA lottery pick. Imagine if that had happened to Wade or Butler. These NBA players do bring alot of press to the schools of their choosing. This was Wojo's only actual tie for the foreseeable future, and he may have burned that bridge (Waiting on actual story before passing judgement)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 21, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
Isn't playing hoops but still on full ride.

Meh.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.