[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 111728 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
Perhaps misunderstanding is not the correct word, failure to accept what was being said is probably more accurate but seems harsh.

We all want to believe our own truths, even if they are the universal truth so to speak.
So you're assuming that Wojo indicated to Wally at some point that he would only have a scholarship as long as Henry was at MU?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
I really think you are overestimating the "PR hit" this will cause. Most of the college basketball world won't realized it happened. Most of those that do won't care. The few who do will forget before next season.
I think the impact will only be local and nobody outside of Wisconsin will care one bit.  It just gives more ammunition to people that want to cut down MU and undercuts the "family" environment they talk about all the time.  The worst part will be if it impacts Henry's relationship with the program.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is these are kids.  Teenage kids.  Most of them do grow up, and become more of an adult thinker closer to when they graduate.  That's not a knock on them.  That was me, and all of us too when we went to MU for 4 years (or 5 or 6).

Wally, I suspect, must have missed some communication, or simply reacted once it became reality.  That's not a knock on him, just a very reasonable explanation for how this has come about.  Perhaps, the message was there, but hard for a young man to process and comprehend.

Wally's lucky in that he has very supportive, engaged parents.  I'm sure Wally, with the support of his family, will see their way though this, and view it in a more mature light in the future...that may be a day, a week, or even years from now, but it will happen.

well said my man.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
well said my man.

Thanks Bro.  Hey, by the way, is it Sonoran Salsa season yet?????

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »
If WE really wants to play another year of bball it looks like his only option is for HE to pays his way

Not that HE should have to, but DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING.

Millionaires don't have time for general bitchy, tit-for-tat stuff... solve the damn problem for your brother and everyone can move on.

But HE should come to this on his own... if Wojo et al are suggesting this, then it's a totally different story.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
Push Wally to be in position to graduate so he can continue to pursue basketball as a graduate transfer if he so desires. Breach the topic throughout the season so that it doesn't come as a surprise to Wally or the family in late April when the silly season is in full bloom. Above all, don't secure a commitment from his replacement before you inform him that he won't be back, which is really what the Reinhardt commitment feels like right now.

The situation just feels like it could have been better thought out and planned than a last minute notification and a likely late-Friday announcement. And if it is announced at 4:55 tomorrow, all the more reason I'm not in favor. The only reason for press releases at that time is when you know you f***ed up and hope the media ignores it.

At the end of the day, I think this situation will leave lots of room for interpretation within the Scoop community for years to come. Neither Wojo or the Ellenson's will tell their side and it will be left to people who know things to insinuate what happened and meanwhile very few will know the true story.

And there is nothing to say what you are suggesting didn't take place and we still ended up here.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks Bro.  Hey, by the way, is it Sonoran Salsa season yet?????

yes indeed, starting in May I'll be doing the Dousman farmers market on Wednesday and Waukesha on Saturday. Happy habanero!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:18 PM »
And above all else, for me it's still the morality of this. I have higher expectations of Marquette. My biggest issue is that by pulling his scholarship, Marquette is also preventing Wally from playing basketball ever again at the DI level. He apparently doesn't have the credits to leave as a graduate transfer, and if he goes elsewhere, he would exhaust his eligibility in the year he sits out. His only recourse is to walk-on, which I would be fine with had it been thoroughly discussed with the family, but if this is coming as a blindside to anyone, then the staff didn't do their job.

If you're in the "basketball is a business" boat, then that's your opinion and I know I won't change it. But by the same token, I truly believe Marquette represents more than basketball and anyone with Marquette on the front of their shirt, their resume, or their business card should aspire to something better ethically than the "Just win, baby" idiocy that new poster Al Davis likes to spout constantly. I care about winning. I also care about how we win. I'm not a fan of these types of tactics whatsoever.

Wojo has a responsibility to be honest and forthright with the kids he recruits. If Wally is having his dream of completing his basketball career taken away from him because the staff didn't do their due diligence in keeping the players and family informed of the situation or started taking commitments without knowing his own players' plans, that's a serious problem.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »
And above all else, for me it's still the morality of this. I have higher expectations of Marquette. My biggest issue is that by pulling his scholarship, Marquette is also preventing Wally from playing basketball ever again at the DI level. He apparently doesn't have the credits to leave as a graduate transfer, and if he goes elsewhere, he would exhaust his eligibility in the year he sits out. His only recourse is to walk-on, which I would be fine with had it been thoroughly discussed with the family, but if this is coming as a blindside to anyone, then the staff didn't do their job.

If you're in the "basketball is a business" boat, then that's your opinion and I know I won't change it. But by the same token, I truly believe Marquette represents more than basketball and anyone with Marquette on the front of their shirt, their resume, or their business card should aspire to something better ethically than the "Just win, baby" idiocy that new poster Al Davis likes to spout constantly. I care about winning. I also care about how we win. I'm not a fan of these types of tactics whatsoever.

Wojo has a responsibility to be honest and forthright with the kids he recruits. If Wally is having his dream of completing his basketball career taken away from him because the staff didn't do their due diligence in keeping the players and family informed of the situation or started taking commitments without knowing his own players' plans, that's a serious problem.

I agree with this.  I would rather lose a couple basketball games than Marquette pull this kind of stuff, IF this situation is as presented.  IF there is more to the story, than I am all ears and have an open mind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:37 PM »

I agree with this.  I would rather lose a couple basketball games than Marquette pull this kind of stuff, IF this situation is as presented.  IF there is more to the story, than I am all ears and have an open mind.

The full story won't come out so we're just going to have to fight about it for at least the next year or two. Neither side has interest in dragging this into the mud so it'll be a bump in the road and something that a bunch of nerds on a message board will fight about but that'll be about it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
If this all ends up going down how it looks like it will, with Wally leaving, then Wojo should do everything in his power to petition the NCAA either to allow Wally to be immediately eligible or to be granted a sixth year to play basketball. If the kid wants to keep playing, then it's on Wojo to make damn sure that happens. Wally made a commitment to Wojo and Marquette, Wojo should be willing to make the same commitment in return.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »
Honestly, I don't think there will be that much backlash. At worst, Marquette makes a statement to the effect of "Wally is pursuing his dream of being a professional track athlete" and the Ellensons say nothing publicly in response because that would be in their best interest. Some Badger fans might start a thread on Buckyville saying "Proof that Wally was just Henry bait" that will quickly die after a week or two. Maybe, maybe the MJS does a story on it but without the Ellensons or Marquette giving them anything, the story is just speculation. Maybe a few coaches try to use at as a negative recruiting tactic, but all Wojo has to do is say "Wally was the 13th man on the roster and wasn't going to get playing time. You will never be the 13th man on my roster. Especially not your senior year." Recruits don't care what happened to others, they only care what a coach will do for them. I also don't think the Ellenson family is as connected in Wisconsin high school basketball as some seem to think. So we don't get anymore recruits from Rice Lake. I think our positive relationship with SPASH through the Hausers would be much more impactful.

Reality is 99% of the college basketball world will be completely unaware that this even happened....and the 1% will forget about it by the time next season starts.
When you said at worst, did you mean, at best? Cuz that worse case scenario seems ok with me!

At worst....Wally speaks up publicly how he was forced out, not his decision, no choice, thought Wojo was a better man than this, shouldn't have come here, etc.
Henry speaks up publicly and says he can't believe Wojo would do this, he's two faced, never would have come here, retreats from MU and cuts all ties. He continues to echo this sentiment throughout Wisconsin through his BB camps, HS coaches, other potential recruits, etc.
Ellenson family publicly states they can't believe Wojo, he's not to be trusted, told us one thing-did another, wish we would have stayed away from MU all together.
Wojo tries to defends his actions and gets killed in the local and national media.
These things would be closer to the "the worst" thing that happens from thing when compared to a vanilla statement that WE likes track and he's good at it, so he gowne.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »

I respect your opinion. But this is sort of a bunch of BS.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
When you said at worst, did you mean, at best? Cuz that worse case scenario seems ok with me!

At worst....Wally speaks up publicly how he was forced out, not his decision, no choice, thought Wojo was a better man than this, shouldn't have come here, etc.
Henry speaks up publicly and says he can't believe Wojo would do this, he's two faced, never would have come here, retreats from MU and cuts all ties. He continues to echo this sentiment throughout Wisconsin through his BB camps, HS coaches, other potential recruits, etc.
Ellenson family publicly states they can't believe Wojo, he's not to be trusted, told us one thing-did another, wish we would have stayed away from MU all together.
Wojo tries to defends his actions and gets killed in the local and national media.
These things would be closer to the "the worst" thing that happens from thing when compared to a vanilla statement that WE likes track and he's good at it, so he gowne.

Has this ever happened in the history of any program?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
Has this ever happened in the history of any program?

Well...maybe not exactly, but the Uthoff situation at UW sure felt pretty similar to that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
I respect your opinion. But this is sort of a bunch of BS.

+1. (On the second sentence)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
Well...maybe not exactly, but the Uthoff situation at UW sure felt pretty similar to that.

And there has been virtually no permanent fall out from that....in fact 99% of people don't even remember Uthoff even went to Wisconsin

MU82

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
A few observations/opinions:

1. Why is everybody assuming that the Ellensons will never tell their side? It might not happen immediately, but all it will take is for Henry to be comfortable with a reporter or to be in the mood to talk. It took a couple of years before Wade said how hurt he was that Illinois and DePaul spurned him. Once Hankster is an established pro, and if he feels like talking, he will. For that matter, Wally could talk about it after he's officially done at Marquette. And didn't John Ellenson talk about some bitterness from his own playing days? Why do we assume he'll never talk about this? I doubt any of them will have signed non-disclosure agreements, nor that MU will have asked them to.

2. Those opining that the Pol-axing of Wally will have long-term negative repercussions on the program ... holy effen drama! Likely, the repercussions will be minimal and short-lived. As at least one poster said, high school studs care only about themselves. And if Wojo is as good a recruiter as he sure seems to be, this won't be an issue.

3. All Wally had to do to secure his place on this year's team was project as a contributor in 2016-17. He didn't. He couldn't get court time at Minnesota, either. It's not an accident or a conspiracy. It's simply a fact that Wally is not an especially good basketball player.

4. A couple of people brought up how this might influence the Hausers. In what way? Sam is already signed up; soon he'll be taking part in our summer program. Unlike Wally, he's a top-100 recruit with serious talent, so the notion that Wojo recruited him just to get to Joey is silly. Sam already will have been at Marquette for quite some time before Joey makes his decision. I would think Joey would consider how Sam likes his Marquette experience, not Wally Ellenson's situation. I mean, did Henry base his decision on Newbill?

5. Did Wojo "use" Wally to get Henry? Maybe, but as others have pointed out, Wally used having an All-American brother to get himself a pretty sweet situation, too. As a Marquette alum, I don't feel one iota of shame or sliminess in this situation. If Buckyville makes fun of us, who gives a shyte? They do anyway.

6. I'll be quiet now. Maybe some 2021 recruit is reading this board and we don't want him to get the wrong idea.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

You really think the Ellenson family of Nowhere, Wisconsin is going to get more media traction than Duke legend (and presumptive K successor) Steve Wojciechowski?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

1. Why is everybody assuming that the Ellensons will never tell their side? It might not happen immediately, but all it will take is for Henry to be comfortable with a reporter or to be in the mood to talk. It took a couple of years before Wade said how hurt he was that Illinois and DePaul spurned him. Once Hankster is an established pro, and if he feels like talking, he will. For that matter, Wally could talk about it after he's officially done at Marquette. And didn't John Ellenson talk about some bitterness from his own playing days? Why do we assume he'll never talk about this? I doubt any of them will have signed non-disclosure agreements, nor that MU will have asked them to.

2. Those opining that the Pol-axing of Wally will have long-term negative repercussions on the program ... holy effen drama! Likely, the repercussions will be minimal and short-lived. As at least one poster said, high school studs care only about themselves. And if Wojo is as good a recruiter as he sure seems to be, this won't be an issue.

3. All Wally had to do to secure his place on this year's team was project as a contributor in 2016-17. He didn't. He couldn't get court time at Minnesota, either. It's not an accident or a conspiracy. It's simply a fact that Wally is not an especially good basketball player.

4. A couple of people brought up how this might influence the Hausers. In what way? Sam is already signed up; soon he'll be taking part in our summer program. Unlike Wally, he's a top-100 recruit with serious talent, so the notion that Wojo recruited him just to get to Joey is silly. Sam already will have been at Marquette for quite some time before Joey makes his decision. I would think Joey would consider how Sam likes his Marquette experience, not Wally Ellenson's situation. I mean, did Henry base his decision on Newbill?

5. Did Wojo "use" Wally to get Henry? Maybe, but as others have pointed out, Wally used having an All-American brother to get himself a pretty sweet situation, too. As a Marquette alum, I don't feel one iota of shame or sliminess in this situation. If Buckyville makes fun of us, who gives a shyte? They do anyway.

6. I'll be quiet now. Maybe some 2021 recruit is reading this board and we don't want him to get the wrong idea.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »

And it's not like HE didn't have other options....

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
And it's not like HE didn't have other options....

If HE really cared about his brother he would have forsaken the NBA and stayed. I blame this all on HE.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
If HE really cared about his brother he would have forsaken the NBA and stayed. I blame this all on HE.

This goes further back -- We finally got back at John for transferring to the great satan -- WI

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
So if Wally wins the NCAA high jump title, does he list his school at "unattached?"
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
So if Wally wins the NCAA high jump title, does he list his school at "unattached?"

He just autocorrects 'M' with 'F' in MU