[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 112010 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
CRYPTIC TWEET ALERT
Haanif Cheatham ‏@H25_Cheatham  2h2 hours ago
Thank you God [praying hands emoji]

Clearly, this means that Wojo had the team draw straws to see who would be giving up their schollie so that Wojo's barber could be on the bench and travel with the team, thereby ensuring Wojo's hair game is strong every night.

HC did not draw the short straw.   
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
Depends on if Wally can get enough credits together to graduate. As a grad transfer, he could find himself with a nice starting gig at a mid major somewhere. As a traditional transfer? Nope, would probably have to drop a level. Of course he has ton of options as a track athlete.

But to answer onepost's question, no. No one would bat an eye if it was Sacar or Sandy. This is all about fear of backlash from the Ellensons. There might be some, but I think its impact would be very short lived.

Unless Wally showed up at the Al and found a bunch of his practice clothes on the lawn with Wojo firing more out the window, Wally being told his scholarship is no longer available would have zero impact on future recruiting. Sure, it could be brought up by coaches going after the same recruits but every other major program and coach in the country has been involved in similar instances. It would obviously stink for Wally and his family but the impact on MU would be minimal.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned.  I've seen what you describe in business too and I absolutely hate it with a passion.
You and me both.
To top it off the radio station I am listening to keeps running an MU add, which says something like reputation matters so you should attend an MU graduate program. Maybe we are over reacting, but I just do not see how this helps MU's reputation. I want to be loyal to my team, I want the players to be loyal to MU and I of course want the coaches to be loyal to the players. It appeared we would actually have a year where no players transferred and now we may be having a player run off to get another player just makes me mad.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »
Wally got a scholarship to Marquette because his brother is Henry. If Henry decided to come back for his sophomore year Wally would still have that scholarship and still be on the team. Henry went pro so Wally was cut.

If Buzz pulled this Chico would be screaming squirmy and bemoaning the "Just win, baby" culture of our program. Because it's Wojo he and his ilk will instead preach patience.

Bad optics? Sure. Real fallout? Maybe. But Wojo (like all our other coaches) is trying to WIN NOW and let the "future" work itself out. This is big boy, just win, baby basketball so I can't fault him for that.
I did not like everything Buzz did, but at least he could coach and he was entertaining.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »
Has Cam tweeted anything that Scoop needs to discuss?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
I did not like everything Buzz did, but at least he could coach and he was entertaining.

So despite not liking this you will get over it as long as Wojo finally gets us into the tourney?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
HAVE WE HEARD FROM SACAR!!!???!!!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
Prince died today.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
It absolutely is, and I'm withholding judgment until we have a better picture of what is going down. But I would definitely take issue with using a kid as a catspaw just to land his brother.

Quite a few people think that is exactly what happened.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
Prince died today.

He's from Minneapolis.

Wally went to school in Minneapolis.

OH MY GOD!!!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »
And if Wojo "coaching for his job" means "pulling a scholarship from a senior," then I hope he fails at his job.

But as others have said, it is very likely not a black and white scenario.  We will just have to see how it plays out.
Is he coaching for this job or is he worried that Coach K will retire before he can have something to show the Duke hiring committee? When Wojo came here he talked about building a strong bond with WI high school coaches. I originally thought he was going to push Cohen out the door. Whether it is Cohen or Wally it is like Wojo flipping the figure at Wisconsin high school coaches he originally work on building a relationship with. I think, if he was intending to be at MU for the long-term, he would not be burning Wisconsin recruiting bridges.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:21 PM »
Three separate questions:

1. Will Wally be on the 2016-17 basketball team?
All signs point toward no.

2. Was it a mutual decision or a heavy handed decision?
We don't know. I posted the Twitter unfollow stuff because it was publicly available. No sources or inferences. Just a very close knit family (Henry, Wally, Mom, Pop) unfollowing Wojo and MUBB around the same time that Henry Tweeted a message that could mean a million things. They only unfollowed those two accounts, not the program (other coaches, teammates) or university (MU, Lovell, other programs) as a whole. Put together, it smells nefarious, but I don't know, and said as much in the post. Wally hasn't been in the workout shots Duane and Haanif post for about 3 weeks. Probably has to do with training for track, but probably contributed to the situation of All in or All out.

3. Is it right?
Definitely should wait until No. 1 is answered, probably until both sides of No. 2 get told. But I think it's a very valid discussion with merits on both sides of the equation. Getting a head start on the convo is what forums are for, why do people get upset at it? I tried talking to my wife, who love to watch games with me, about it and she couldn't care less. Everyone here cares about the team, the way its run, and the way its perceived. If at the end of the week Wally tweets he isn't going anywhere, this will have all been a huge waste of time, like it would still be if MU releases a presser at 4:59 pm on Friday saying Wally has left the team to focus on Rio 2016.

4. Bonus: Will any of this matter if MU reaches the Tourney this year?

Not one bit. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »
He's from Minneapolis.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Where's Sacar from?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »
He's from Minneapolis.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Sacar too!
It's not good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »

Quite a few people also think Elvis is still alive while others think vaccines are harmful. Until there's something a bit more concrete, I'm not throwing the program under the bus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
Where's Sacar from?

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
Where's Sacar from?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Have some patience, FFS.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »
So despite not liking this you will get over it as long as Wojo finally gets us into the tourney?
I actually believe Wojo will never take MU to the NCAA tourney.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »

He only makes the easy tourneys.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
Basic tourneys.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »

Ergo
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »

So for you this has nothing to do about really being outraged or feeling bad.  You just don't like the coach.  It's fine to have that position.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2016, 12:56:36 PM »
Is he coaching for this job or is he worried that Coach K will retire before he can have something to show the Duke hiring committee? When Wojo came here he talked about building a strong bond with WI high school coaches. I originally thought he was going to push Cohen out the door. Whether it is Cohen or Wally it is like Wojo flipping the figure at Wisconsin high school coaches he originally work on building a relationship with. I think, if he was intending to be at MU for the long-term, he would not be burning Wisconsin recruiting bridges.

I think you are being extremely dramatic. Flipping the finger at WI high school coaches?! Cmon that's ridiculous. Wally was a transfer and everyone claims Henry was one and done before the season even started.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
You and me both.
To top it off the radio station I am listening to keeps running an MU add, which says something like reputation matters so you should attend an MU graduate program. Maybe we are over reacting, but I just do not see how this helps MU's reputation. I want to be loyal to my team, I want the players to be loyal to MU and I of course want the coaches to be loyal to the players. It appeared we would actually have a year where no players transferred and now we may be having a player run off to get another player just makes me mad.

I agree, if true, I worry about the Hauser equation. I'm very old school.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
Wally has been sharing some details with others about this issue, so I don't mind sharing.

Wally found out on Sunday.  He's really interested in playing ball, even if it is elsewhere.  However, he does not have enough credits to graduate, and if he transfers without having graduated, he still can't play because of the six year rule.  Wally, understandably, is pretty upset with his new reality. 

What none of us know is how big of a surprise this is.  All of us at scoop were reading the tea leaves with the recruiting going on for a PF.  My guess is that Wally hit some sort of threshold with Wojo, that in hindsight, made Wally the logical choice to sever the relationship. 

feedback