[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Porter Moser  (Read 5755 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Porter Moser
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »

I will point out that our three most successful post-Al coaches were from the assistant ranks.  (Granted Buzz had one year at UNO.)  And Wojo might make it four.

Our two least successful post-Al coaches had previous head coaching experience.

That's not lost on me.  It's why I advocated for coaches who had multiple head coaching stops.  I also think this approach could lead to stopping the stepping stone situation.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
Lens

If the program has some clout, I would always shoot for HC experience and proven HC experience. Unfortunately, MU struck out their two HC hires and struck out badly. I chalk that up to them not having a clue on what to do vs. the idea of hiring a guy with HC experience. Dukiet was last resort because of timing and Deane got the job based off a KO recommendation. Not the greatest process in place at those two times in history.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
Prior to this year, Moser was 33-73 in conference play at LUC. At Illinois State, he went 22-50 in 4 years in conference. They have a really good team this year. Fun to watch and could legitimately go to the Final Four. But this is the first time in his career he improved his team's Pomeroy ranking in back to back years. It's his first winning conference record since Marquette was in the Final Four in 2003.

Maybe Moser is a good coach. But based on his history, it looks a lot more like he stumbled on lightning in a bottle. I'd be surprised if he replicated this success at any future high major because he hasn't shown he can replicate or sustain success at the low or mid major jobs he's had.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
Prior to this year, Moser was 33-73 in conference play at LUC. At Illinois State, he went 22-50 in 4 years in conference. They have a really good team this year. Fun to watch and could legitimately go to the Final Four. But this is the first time in his career he improved his team's Pomeroy ranking in back to back years. It's his first winning conference record since Marquette was in the Final Four in 2003.

Maybe Moser is a good coach. But based on his history, it looks a lot more like he stumbled on lightning in a bottle. I'd be surprised if he replicated this success at any future high major because he hasn't shown he can replicate or sustain success at the low or mid major jobs he's had.

I think if he stays he does the every four year plan for success as opposed to building a perennial MVC contender like Wichita or Creighton were.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
So yeah, he could triple or quadruple (or more) that pretty easily.

I agree with Goose that it's nice when "love of game" outweighs money, but it's hard for anybody in any profession to turn down that kind of raise.

But again, we don't even know who will be calling him, if anybody. Nor do we know how much he values the relative lack of pressure in a situation like Loyola.

Here in NC, Davidson coach Bob McKillop had numerous opportunities to go elsewhere. He just likes it here, he makes good money (relative to the rest of society even if not relative to his peers), and he can coach without the drumbeat of insane pressure day after day, year after year. The most pressure he faces is the pressure he puts on himself to succeed.

To many, that's very valuable - more valuable than money. As I said, I don't know Porter Moser, so I can't possibly know how he values that.

And before the tourney even started, Pres of Loyola with whom Moser seems to have an excellent relationship said she knew that he was going to be getting a raise--I would guess even if he stays put he'll be making double.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
Porter Moser would not check enough boxes for me as a MU coach.  I would want a recruiter, with HS experience, like Dan Hurley.

I think Porter should stay at Loyola.  He could probably retire there if he wants.  Don't mess with happy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »

This is 100% where I am on Moser, too.

Right now, with all of the information we have - especially his body of work - this can only reasonably be considered a "lightning in a bottle" situation. It is up to him to prove it isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a chance to prove it at a different school, because that's usually how things work in that profession.

As for the HC vs assistant debate ... I know many Scoopers don't like some things about KO, Crean and Buzz, but I think most will agree that all 3 of those guys hired from the assistant ranks worked out OK for MU, no? Izzo worked out OK for Michigan State, too! Plenty of examples of it not working out for schools as well, I'm aware of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson