[Today at 09:14:48 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grades  (Read 14593 times)

1SE

• All American
Grades
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
It's late here, I hope the boys come back and pull it out, but I'm going to bed. These are my grades for our lads and the man in charge this year. Let's get a PG!

M2N: B. The nation's youngest sophomore was absolutely electric at times. None of us will forget at Providence. But too often pressed hero ball, couldn't keep his man in front of him on D, and for the life of me I can't understand how he doesn't have a handle like glue. With rockin' rowdy and big
Sammy what we really needed was someone who could press break and distribute. I hope Markus works on that this summer, because 60% 3fgm isn't worth spending another offseason on.

Sacar: B+. Took a big step forward and is a poster child for redshirting. Reliable starter and contributor. Good, but not lockdown defender, which is what we really needed. O game showed some flashes, but too inconsistent to be a reliable 4th option.

Big John: A-. A freshman in a fullman's body. Rough around the edges with some freshman moments, but showed steady improvement throughout the season.  Flashes of a soft-touch on O, and makes opposing players think twice in the lane. No reason he won't be a 10pt, 10reb, 2 block player next year. 

Greg: B-. Tough to be too hard on Greg as he looks like he only weighs 60 lbs when he's wet and wearing boots and had the nagging hand injury. However, the game often looked too fast for him, he was abused by bigger/stronger players on D, and his O game wasn't off the chart. Unlikely to develop as a 1, but 20lbs and two good hands could make him a nice 7th man next year.

Sammy: B+. Hands down highest basketball IQ on the team. Rarely made the wrong play. A guy you want on the floor, but you have to wonder if his relative lack of athleticism means he's already at his ceiling - a slightly shorter Steve Novak.

Heldt: B. He is what he is. And what he is would be a good 15 minute spell guy in the BEAST. Leaves it all on the court, but just doesn't have the skillset to be a starting center.

Harry: D. Was supposed to be the value added the propelled us to the Dance. Instead ends up Coaches Decision DNPing and must be on the way out. O-game was never there and defense lacked intensity. Disappointing.

Make it Cain: B+. If he can also put on 20lbs this offseason he could contend for BE honors next year. Was the "secret weapon" on O in a number of games, and seems like he led the team in playing above the rim. Another exciting piece for the future.

Rowdy: A-. The guy that's 5'7" in stilletos gave it a hell of a senior campagin. Tough to overcome the height, but generally gave the effort on D. Single season 3 point record - fun to watch him shoot. The thing. But for a bit of tendency to hero-ball, it would have been a straight A season.

Cammo: A. Gotta give love to a guy that put in all the same effort on the practice court, did all the same travel, in order to log a grand total of 12 minutes  and 1 rebound.

Wojo: C+. The Oregon win pulls him from a C to a C+, but coach medicocrity finshes another luke-warm season. Won't relitigate here, but hard to argue that a coach with better X/Os, a bit of creativity in his lineups, some different defensive schemes, couldn't have squeezed another regular season win or two out of this team to get them to the NCAA. If he can't do it next year, you have to wonder if he'll ever be more than "a first round appearance every few years" kind of coach.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Goose

• All American
Re: Grades
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Seem a tad inflated to me.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
Way inflated.

Best grades on the team would be M2N with a B and Hauser with a B-.

Sacar gets a C+. I might go B- as his improvement during the year was laudatory.

Rowsey gets a C-. Great at times, no defense and too much hero ball.

Heldt gets an "A" for effort but a C because he is an average center. Theo, Jamal and Greg get Cs for now with some expectation of improvement.

Wojo gets a D for failing the NCAA test. Wins over two of Georgia, DePaul and St. John's and he would have gotten a "B". 

I think Harry is an "F"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »
The only player who didn't meet or exceed expectations for me is Harry.     The freshmen got better.    Sam is so complete.   Sacar is night and day from where he was as a freshman.  They just didn't have enough size, particularly at guard.     The story of the season defensively is 5'10 guys guarding 6'5 guys.   PSU just took pages out of the Big East playbook tonight.    Isolate big guards on small guards.    Rowsey and Howard couldn't keep them out of the lane and everything followed from that.   

Players, collectively other than Harry: B.
Coaching:   B-   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
Way inflated.

Best grades on the team would be M2N with a B and Hauser with a B-.

Sacar gets a C+. I might go B- as his improvement during the year was laudatory.

Rowsey gets a C-. Great at times, no defense and too much hero ball.

Heldt gets an "A" for effort but a C because he is an average center. Theo, Jamal and Greg get Cs for now with some expectation of improvement.

Wojo gets a D for failing the NCAA test. Wins over two of Georgia, DePaul and St. John's and he would have gotten a "B". 

I think Harry is an "F"
lol
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Nm

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »
It's late here, I hope the boys come back and pull it out, but I'm going to bed. These are my grades for our lads and the man in charge this year. Let's get a PG!

M2N: B. The nation's youngest sophomore was absolutely electric at times. None of us will forget at Providence. But too often pressed hero ball, couldn't keep his man in front of him on D, and for the life of me I can't understand how he doesn't have a handle like glue. With rockin' rowdy and big
Sammy what we really needed was someone who could press break and distribute. I hope Markus works on that this summer, because 60% 3fgm isn't worth spending another offseason on.

Sacar: B+. Took a big step forward and is a poster child for redshirting. Reliable starter and contributor. Good, but not lockdown defender, which is what we really needed. O game showed some flashes, but too inconsistent to be a reliable 4th option.

Big John: A-. A freshman in a fullman's body. Rough around the edges with some freshman moments, but showed steady improvement throughout the season.  Flashes of a soft-touch on O, and makes opposing players think twice in the lane. No reason he won't be a 10pt, 10reb, 2 block player next year. 

Greg: B-. Tough to be too hard on Greg as he looks like he only weighs 60 lbs when he's wet and wearing boots and had the nagging hand injury. However, the game often looked too fast for him, he was abused by bigger/stronger players on D, and his O game wasn't off the chart. Unlikely to develop as a 1, but 20lbs and two good hands could make him a nice 7th man next year.

Sammy: B+. Hands down highest basketball IQ on the team. Rarely made the wrong play. A guy you want on the floor, but you have to wonder if his relative lack of athleticism means he's already at his ceiling - a slightly shorter Steve Novak.

Heldt: B. He is what he is. And what he is would be a good 15 minute spell guy in the BEAST. Leaves it all on the court, but just doesn't have the skillset to be a starting center.

Harry: D. Was supposed to be the value added the propelled us to the Dance. Instead ends up Coaches Decision DNPing and must be on the way out. O-game was never there and defense lacked intensity. Disappointing.

Make it Cain: B+. If he can also put on 20lbs this offseason he could contend for BE honors next year. Was the "secret weapon" on O in a number of games, and seems like he led the team in playing above the rim. Another exciting piece for the future.

Rowdy: A-. The guy that's 5'7" in stilletos gave it a hell of a senior campagin. Tough to overcome the height, but generally gave the effort on D. Single season 3 point record - fun to watch him shoot. The thing. But for a bit of tendency to hero-ball, it would have been a straight A season.

Cammo: A. Gotta give love to a guy that put in all the same effort on the practice court, did all the same travel, in order to log a grand total of 12 minutes  and 1 rebound.

Wojo: C+. The Oregon win pulls him from a C to a C+, but coach medicocrity finshes another luke-warm season. Won't relitigate here, but hard to argue that a coach with better X/Os, a bit of creativity in his lineups, some different defensive schemes, couldn't have squeezed another regular season win or two out of this team to get them to the NCAA. If he can't do it next year, you have to wonder if he'll ever be more than "a first round appearance every few years" kind of coach.

Wow is that terribly overinflated. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »
Any grading that has Theo John graded higher Sam Hauser is a farce.

Why does every player have to have a quirky nickname......jeez.

connie

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:51 PM »
The only player who didn't meet or exceed expectations for me is Harry.     The freshmen got better.    Sam is so complete.   Sacar is night and day from where he was as a freshman.  They just didn't have enough size, particularly at guard.     The story of the season defensively is 5'10 guys guarding 6'5 guys.   PSU just took pages out of the Big East playbook tonight.    Isolate big guards on small guards.    Rowsey and Howard couldn't keep them out of the lane and everything followed from that.   

Players, collectively other than Harry: B.
Coaching:   B-   
Agree, but am a harder grader.  B- and C.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
Rowsey A
Sam A
Howard B+
Elliot B+
Sacar B+
Cain B
Matt Heldt B
Theo B
Froling C
Cam A
Ike - Incomplete

Wojo C+

We had a team that for the most part played hard every game and every possession . They had some physical limits that made certain match ups tough. However, they also used their extraordinary 3 point shooting ability to their advantage whenever they could. We won 60 percent of our games playing a strong schedule .  A solid season overall.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
Hauser gets an A. Best all around player on the team

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
Rowsey A
Sam A
Howard B+
Elliot B+
Sacar B+
Cain B
Matt Heldt B
Theo B
Froling C
Cam A
Ike - Incomplete

Wojo C+

We had a team that for the most part played hard every game and every possession . They had some physical limits that made certain match ups tough. However, they also used their extraordinary 3 point shooting ability to their advantage whenever they could. We won 60 percent of our games playing a strong schedule .  A solid season overall.

OMG.

I agree with Tex/mufny

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
Sorry but the OPs grades are an fin joke!! So are towers.  I guess we just wanna give these guys all A’s for effort??!!
Wtf??!!

1. Rowsey C+.  Scored like a machine lpositive, passed very well.  Negatives fouled too much, couldnt guard his man, turned the ball over way too much, at times very poor decision maker, inconsistant, 7th best starting PG in BE

2. Howard B-.  Shoots the ball really well.  Negatives very bad ball handler, poor rebounder, bad passer, terrible defender.  Defensive effort follows how his shooting is going, questionable on taking bad shots

3. Sacar C.  Good driver.
Negatives - avergae defender, below average ft shooter, bad 3 point shooter , poor rebounder.  Much improved but still not very good. Worst 3 in the BE?

4. Hauser A-.  Great shooter, very good passer. Decent rebounder.  Negs needs to get stronger lacks lateral quickness n avg athleticism hurts him defensively.

5. Heldt C.  Pretty solid defender. Great Ft shooter. Solid screener. Solid jump hook Negs not very athletic, not very strong, not a strong finisher, not a strong rebounder.

3 Freshman B.  Not all freshman team type seasons but i do like their toughness their length and their size.  Need to add strength but if the commitment is their they could be 3 really solid player by their junior seasons.

Froling D-.  Would give him a straight F is it didnt look like he might be able to make some shots and he did make two against Creighton?? Other than that he was an unathletic kitten. Zero toughness. I would want tough guys on my team and he exudes none of that quality.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »
You must be drunk.  This is an NIT team.  No one gets an A or a B+.  Theology majors should not be given computers.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
You guys are way too critical, Jesus christ. Howard was all Big East second team and Rowsey was an honorable mention. Giving them C's... We are the youngest team in the Big East and help is coming. Froling was a disappointment but I'm encouraged by the development of our freshman.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:44:31 PM by cheese ball chaser »

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »
You must be drunk.  This is an NIT team.  No one gets an A or a B+.  Theology majors should not be given computers.

Ding ding ding.  Thank you.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
Howard: A-
Hauser: A-
Rowsey: A-
Elliot: B-
Cain: B-
Anim: C+
Heldt: C
John: C
Froling: D-

Wojo: C-

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
Some  of you should be grateful that your college professors didn't grade you as tough as you are grading this team.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:50:04 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
Matt - B
Theo - C+
Sam - B+
Sacar - B-
Markus - B+
Greg - B-
Jamal - C
Harry - incomplete
Rowsey - A
Wojo - C+

Matt is what Matt is. He is solid, not a big O threat.
Theo is going to be a force.
Sam is as steady as they come. Not the most athletic guy you'll see out there but savvy and a multitasker.
Sacar - much better that I thought he would be, obviously worked his ass off RS year. Don't know if there's any more upside.
Markus - an offensive force. Don't think I want him trying to be a PG. I think he's spent his whole life working on his shot, and the results are truly impressive. Handle is suspect, to be kind. In an echo of last year, has to recognize that defense is a (big) part of basketball.
Greg - Showed flashes, wish he had been healthy. Needs to add bulk - sick of seeing him get backed down and scored over.
Jamal - physically, a thoroughbred. Weight room to hold onto rebounds that should be his, and s-l-o-w it down to reduce the passes to the fans.
Harry - the O we heard about was absent except for @SHU, D was (again, to be kind) horrible.
Wojo - good recruiter, but needs to understand that bodies are important in the BE. Not much of an in-game innovator. He has got to be on the line next year - I would expect, with the talent coming in, that he should be in the top 3 in the BE. A game or two might change that (like this year) but I will be judging how good of a coach he might be in the long haul by what sort of DEFENSE we see out of MU next year. We currently have some great offensive weapons, but you cannot play defense like we currently do and expect significant success.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »
This is a weird exercise in the sense that I to grade everyone within the context of the sum of their parts, which is an NIT team.

That being said, I agree with others that Sam is the only one in an A range. Markus and Rowsey, net of defense, settle into solid Bs. This probably speaks to just how good they were offensively because they weren't close to a B defensively. Think Greg, Jamal, Matt and Sacar settle into a B-/C+. All definitely exceeded expectations on both ends, and the future is bright if they progress. Heldt probably is what he is, which is a solid contributor. I'd be excited if Theo makes the same leaps as Matt did over the course of his career

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
Rowsey is an all big east honorable mention AND has MUs all time single season scoring record.

Anything less than a B means the grader is drunk, at best.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Rowsey is an all big east honorable mention AND has MUs all time single season scoring record.

Anything less than a B means the grader is drunk, at best.

But he played too much Hero ball!!! D+

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Some  of you should be grateful that your college professors didn't grade you as tough as you are grading this team.

Especially their English professors...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Rowsey a
Howard b+
Hauser a

Wojo a big fat D for failing to realize playing Howard and Rowsey together was a huge liability.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
This is a weird exercise in the sense that I to grade everyone within the context of the sum of their parts, which is an NIT team.

That being said, I agree with others that Sam is the only one in an A range. Markus and Rowsey, net of defense, settle into solid Bs. This probably speaks to just how good they were offensively because they weren't close to a B defensively. Think Greg, Jamal, Matt and Sacar settle into a B-/C+. All definitely exceeded expectations on both ends, and the future is bright if they progress. Heldt probably is what he is, which is a solid contributor. I'd be excited if Theo makes the same leaps as Matt did over the course of his career

Thats about how i graded it.  Sure they are our team but they also came in 7th out of 10 teams n went to the nit fir a reason.

For the peopke throwing out all the As, if rowsey us an A what do brunson, cartwright n carrington get?
Sacar an A what do desi, khyri thomas and bridges get?
Our players for whatever reasons were some of the worst at their pisition inbthe BE.  We came in 7th for a reason
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback