* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler should be starting  (Read 4913 times)

GuyIncognito

• Starter
Butler should be starting
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »
With everything he contributes offensively and defensively, and especially on the boards, this kid should be in the starting rotation.

TJ

• All American
Re: Butler should be starting
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
I think he's in the perfect role right now.  He gets plenty of minutes; he just doesn't get his name called.  I'm sure he'll start next year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
Keep him coming off bench to spark team.  Played 26 minutes, 6 points and 10 boards.  Excellent. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
I think Butler can explode as a scorer if he looks for his shot. He's been the energy guy, the rebounding guy, the hustle guy, the defensive guy...when he starts to look for his shot and have confidence in taking it, he's gonna make some of us forget about DJ.
SS Marquette

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Absolutely not.  He's used to coming off the bench, he's done it all year, it's his role, no need to disrupt that.  Start Acker, and let Butler, Cubes and Fulce come off the bench. 

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »
Keep him coming off the bench.  Absolutely perfect energy/glue-type guy for us to bring in right now. 
The General has taken on a new command.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »
I'm fine with Acker starting with Jimmy coming in off the bench.  I thought Mo did a great job today.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
I agree, keep him coming in off the bench.  He's on the floor when the game is in the balance, and that's what matters most.  He's improved exponentially this year.  He has stopped charging going to the hoop twice a game, which is nice.  His tip in today from way above the basket late in the game was beautiful.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
To paraphrase a quote from (I think) an NBA coach... It doesn't matter who's on the floor at the start of the game, it matters who's on the floor at the end. Butler is great in his role off the bench. He'll get his minutes. Starting wouldn't really change that.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
Keep him coming off the bench.  What an upgrade from Fitz and Blackledge he is.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
Butler's been great.  I'd love to see him take some shots on the perimeter.  Since he usually has PF or C on him, I'd love to see him take the open 3 when he has it (which seems like a couple times a game).  He did shoot 42% from 3 in JC.  It'd be nice to see him knock a few down.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
I just feel like we should have our best five players on the floor to start the game to give us the best chance of getting off to a lead and holding it. I hate when we get ourselves into a hole, and Jimmy's "spark" is used merely to help close the gap.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
I just feel like we should have our best five players on the floor to start the game to give us the best chance of getting off to a lead and holding it. I hate when we get ourselves into a hole, and Jimmy's "spark" is used merely to help close the gap.

I think that Butler is one of our best five players but I think its better to Acker starting because I think his woes comes from a lack of confidence.  I think the starting spot gives me a little more confidence and that is more valuable than giving Butler the starting spot he deserves
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »
Definitely keep him on the bench.  Gives Buzz far more flexibility as the game progresses.  Besdies, a PG is a necessity not a luxury.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Aker did his job today. It will be interesting to see who starts against Pitt. Louisville's strength is their quickness and it makes sense that Aker starts against them. Pitt strength is their physicallness, which is not going to be good for a 5'7" point guard. Before James was injured, I thought our best chance of winning 1 of the three games was against Pitt. Pitt tries to physically intiidate you and I felt this would not work against James.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
Starting over who?
Right now, his best position is the three and he won't play ahead of Matthews.
Hopefully next year he can get serious minutes at the two, but he obviously won't start over McNeal.
He can take minutes at the four, but not as well as Lazar.

Any other scenario would involve either using Hayward at the five as something other than a change of pace (ugh) or starting Jerel at the point. Neither of which is makes much sense.

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
I think he's in the perfect role right now.  He gets plenty of minutes; he just doesn't get his name called.  I'm sure he'll start next year.

I agree

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:37:43 PM »
I see people's points WHY he should be kept on the bench, but he's going to start next year (possibly).

Why not show some belief and trust in him now as a starter?
SS Marquette

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »
bench

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 02:23:39 AM »
I see people's points WHY he should be kept on the bench, but he's going to start next year (possibly).

Why not show some belief and trust in him now as a starter?
because he generally plays the same position as Hayward/Matthews/McNeal.  Which of those would you have come off the bench to start Butler?

Moreover, to use your point, you don't want to start him over Burke because we wouldn't want to show lack of belief/trust in Burke at this point in the season.

So that leaves Acker, who is our point guard for the rest of the season, like it or not.  I don't think Butler has shown PG skills and I wouldn't want to shift one of our other starters to PG and more out of the role they've played all season than they're already forced to be.

Throw in the fact that he's playing well in his role and there's no reason to fix something that ain't broke and it all adds up to Butler continuing to come off the bench.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »
Starting over who?

Any other scenario would involve either using Hayward at the five as something other than a change of pace (ugh) or starting Jerel at the point. Neither of which is makes much sense.

Personally, I would start him over Burke and move Hayward to the 5 spot. We only lose 2 inches, but gain so much more everywhere else. Burke is more of a liability than an asset on offense. The only post move he knows is the travel. When we go small our guys do a great job of fronting and denying the other team's big man. I see the point of view of his value off the bench, but with James out I feel we need someone else on the court who is an offensive threat and can create his own shot. That is not Burke.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:14 AM »
Acker has played well.  Butler should continue to come off the bench.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
He is the one source of production off of the bench.   He is comfortable there right now.   Acker has been the starting point guard before.   Leave it as is.   JB still gets his minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
Personally, I would start him over Burke and move Hayward to the 5 spot. We only lose 2 inches, but gain so much more everywhere else. Burke is more of a liability than an asset on offense. The only post move he knows is the travel. When we go small our guys do a great job of fronting and denying the other team's big man. I see the point of view of his value off the bench, but with James out I feel we need someone else on the court who is an offensive threat and can create his own shot. That is not Burke.

You're correct that Burke gives nothing offensively, but scoring points never has been a problem for this team. They've been getting it done 4-on-5 on the offensive end all season.
Burke does, however, do an admirable job defensively, considering the fact he's almost always going against bigger, stronger and more athletic opponents. He's far from a lockdown defender, but he's been solid.
Asking Lazar to guard the post from start to finish would be a recipe for disaster. He'd be in constant foul trouble, thereby neutralizing what he gives the team offensively (because he'll be on the bench or fouled out).

feedback