collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rational Discussion of the Brewers  (Read 6887 times)

🏀

• All American
Rational Discussion of the Brewers
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
Here's a thread to discuss the Brewers rationally throughout the season. Please keep all pissing out of it.

My thoughts on the Brewers thus far this season.
Most of their struggling players will pick it up at least a little bit, but I can see a lot of them regressing quite a bit from last year (though I'm not banking on it).

Fielder had a monster year last year. I expect him to be a monster again this year. A blend between his '06 and '07 is something I would expect. He started off '06 with something a lot of Ks, I believe a lot of pitchers were pitching him wrong, and adjustments have been made to him. He now just has to adjust, and he will.

Braun will end up being good, but in his first season the scouting reports were slim. I expect pitchers to be pitching him much better this year, especially if he keeps on swinging at everything. The move to LF will be huge to his mental state of mind where won't have to worry about fielding as much.

Weeks has only had one good year. He has improved greatly defensively thus far.

Hart may regress a decent amount from last year. A 30/30 season may be realistic.

Hardy will almost certainly not put up the power numbers he did last year.

Sheets is already hurting, too much hanging out with Tom Crean.

Eric Gagne performed terribly for the Red Sox in a great bullpen. I don't understand the contract he got.

Why the HELL is Ned Yost carrying 14 pitchers? 14 pitchers on their active roster which means only 11 position players. Assuming that one is your backup catcher and you're not going to use him, that leaves only two reserves for the field.

Ned Yost... the Brewers need a new manager...

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: Rational Discussion of the Brewers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
Here's a thread to discuss the Brewers rationally throughout the season. Please keep all pissing out of it.

My thoughts on the Brewers thus far this season.
Most of their struggling players will pick it up at least a little bit, but I can see a lot of them regressing quite a bit from last year (though I'm not banking on it).

Fielder had a monster year last year. I expect him to be a monster again this year. A blend between his '06 and '07 is something I would expect. He started off '06 with something a lot of Ks, I believe a lot of pitchers were pitching him wrong, and adjustments have been made to him. He now just has to adjust, and he will.

Braun will end up being good, but in his first season the scouting reports were slim. I expect pitchers to be pitching him much better this year, especially if he keeps on swinging at everything. The move to LF will be huge to his mental state of mind where won't have to worry about fielding as much.

Weeks has only had one good year. He has improved greatly defensively thus far.

Hart may regress a decent amount from last year. A 30/30 season may be realistic.

Hardy will almost certainly not put up the power numbers he did last year.

Sheets is already hurting, too much hanging out with Tom Crean.

Eric Gagne performed terribly for the Red Sox in a great bullpen. I don't understand the contract he got.

Why the HELL is Ned Yost carrying 14 pitchers? 14 pitchers on their active roster which means only 11 position players. Assuming that one is your backup catcher and you're not going to use him, that leaves only two reserves for the field.

Ned Yost... the Brewers need a new manager...

Gwynn Jr is hurt, that is why he is carrying 14 pitchers, when Gwynn gets back to health, expect a pitcher to go back to AAA

the better question, in which you'll agree marqptm, since you are a Cub fan, is how did Dusty Baker get a job in the MLB again, what were the Reds thinking... Harang doing too well, wanted his arm to fall off?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
I don't even like 12 man pitching staffs, let alone 14. If they are waiting for Gywnn, that makes sense, but bring up LaPorta for a couple weeks.

Dusty 'Double Switch' Baker is a manager again because Corey Patterson, Neifi Perez, and Paul Bako need to continue to be employed.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Yost usually goes one pitcher more than the norm.  I would expect (and hope) it goes down soon.  Gwynn and Cameron should both be back.  I'll take 13 if Gabe Gross gets sent down.  I wouldn't mind if Weeks joined him.   

I haven't found the minor league fielding stats, but anyone know if that's what caused Hernan Iribarren to be moved to the outfield from second?  He had six major league at-bats and showed he has more plate discipline than Weeks.  I had hoped to see him replace Weeks in a year or two tops, but then they moved him.  It's going to be tougher for him to see regular playing time in the outfield when La Porta will have him passed on the organizational depth chart soon enough.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Yost usually goes one pitcher more than the norm.  I would expect (and hope) it goes down soon.  Gwynn and Cameron should both be back.  I'll take 13 if Gabe Gross gets sent down.  I wouldn't mind if Weeks joined him.   

I haven't found the minor league fielding stats, but anyone know if that's what caused Hernan Iribarren to be moved to the outfield from second?  He had six major league at-bats and showed he has more plate discipline than Weeks.  I had hoped to see him replace Weeks in a year or two tops, but then they moved him.  It's going to be tougher for him to see regular playing time in the outfield when La Porta will have him passed on the organizational depth chart soon enough.

I'm with you on Gross (whose name is reflective of his performance) but I disagree on Rickie. He'll find it eventually.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
That and Yost usually likes 2 lefties in the bullpen... with Parra being bumped to starter, it left Shouse(who is my favorite reliever on the team) the only lefty, so he brought up Stetter, who looked fantastic against the Reds on Sunday, only to have that French-Canadian come in and blow it.  I haven't lost faith in Gagne, he does lead the majors in saves, however he needs to settle down quickly.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
Wouldn't you rather have someone like torres close over gagne.  He may lead the league in saves, but how many can he blow before he becomes a set-up guy for the team?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 04:58:19 PM »
I think Bill Hall will regain form again now that he is out of the outfield.  I think last year playing the new position got into his head and that carried over to his offense.  The move back to the infield should bring back his offensive numbers as well.  So far this season that looks to be the case.

Gagne is 100% trouble, but you have a few other guys in that pen (Torres, Mota) who I think would be fine in the closer role.  I think Torres would may be a better option than Mota, however, as he does have experience as a closer.

And to Mayor McCheese, Shouse is not only my favorite reliver but my favorite player on the Brewers.  I think he is very underrated.  I am not being sarcastic!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »

They moved Iribarren to OF before moving Braun to LF, thinking he could be groomed to be the CF of the future.  That kid can HIT!  They still don't see Gwynn as an everyday player.  Now that Braun is in LF, LaPorta and Braun will eventually be in LF/RF and Hart will probably be moved to CF, assuming Melvin can keep everyone here under contract.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »
They moved Iribarren to OF before moving Braun to LF, thinking he could be groomed to be the CF of the future.  That kid can HIT!  They still don't see Gwynn as an everyday player.  Now that Braun is in LF, LaPorta and Braun will eventually be in LF/RF and Hart will probably be moved to CF, assuming Melvin can keep everyone here under contract.

Why not?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
Plus Mike Cameron will be returning shortly which means even less playing time for Gwynn.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Wouldn't you rather have someone like torres close over gagne.  He may lead the league in saves, but how many can he blow before he becomes a set-up guy for the team?

With Yost managing, probably about a dozen more.  I think Riske would be the best choice. 

Clearly Turnbow also needs to go.  He's clearly the odd man out in the bullpen.  Considering they liked to blame a lot of his poor performances in the past on lack of consistent work, his 4.2 innings so far are a good indication that Yost isn't willing to chance giving him the innings he needs to develop a rhythm and have any success.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 06:06:13 PM »
Now I am a Cubs fan but I think several Brewer fans would agree with me in saying Ned Yost needs to go.  I don't think Melvin is without blame either after spending $10M on Gagne and taking Tony Gywnn Jr into Boston as your DH just to name a few things.  I do realize the Brewers have had injuries. 

The only thing is I have no idea who would replace Ned.  Who do you Brewer fans want to replace him?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
Now I am a Cubs fan but I think several Brewer fans would agree with me in saying Ned Yost needs to go.  I don't think Melvin is without blame either after spending $10M on Gagne and taking Tony Gywnn Jr into Boston as your DH just to name a few things.  I do realize the Brewers have had injuries. 

The only thing is I have no idea who would replace Ned.  Who do you Brewer fans want to replace him?

I've always been a fan of Yost, but he may need to go. Losing 2 starting pitchers in Capuano and Gallardo hurts, but it's not as though the bullpen has been good enough to hold leads that the rest of the rotation has supplied (as rare as that's been recently).

Add to that the fact that nearly half of the Brewers' starting lineup is batting .200 or worse, and a defense that committed 4 errors a couple nights ago, and it's no surprise that we're alone in the cellar. Tough to watch, especially with the Cubbies clobbering everyone.

As for who would replace Yost, I think a lot of Brewer fans would like to see Robin Yount take over. I have no idea what kind of manager he'd be, but it's likely moot as Tom Haudricourt at the JS has said multiple times that Yount is not interested in the job.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
It's not Ned's fault that the team is hitting .240.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
This is meant to be a rational discussion.  I just wondered what you Brewer fans thought.

In the series with the Nats, Ned allowed C.C. and Sheets to go the distance to get the shutouts.  I just wondered if you were alright with it since you give your bullpen a rest and allow the pitcher to get a shutout or do you wish he would have took him out sooner to save some bullets for the end of the season .

C.C. is a horse don't get me wrong and could throw a CG every time out, but Sheets has always been somewhat of a question mark concerning his health. 

Just wondered what your take was.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
I think it's a combination of a few things TT.  First, Yost does not have confidence in the bullpen.  I doubt opposing hitters are like, "Oh crap, Brian Shouse is coming into the game."  So I think Yost tries to take Sheets and CC longer into games to save his bullpen for Suppan, Bush, and Parra.

Second is pitch counts.  I think CC threw 103 pitches in that complete game last week.  Not sure how many pitches Sheets threw, but it was his first complete game since June 23rd.

Lastly, I think there is something to trying to get the most out of CC knowing he will be gone.  Out of all of our pitchers he is the biggest horse, but you might as well get the most out of him.

I'm alright with Yost keeping them in there.  Going back to a previous argument, it's hard to think about saving bullets for October when you haven't been there since 1982.  So in Yost's mind, you do ANYTHING to just get there, and if that means leaning a little extra hard on your studs, you do it.

BTW Titan, it's CC, not C.C.  No dots  ;)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
First, Yost does not have confidence in the bullpen.  I doubt opposing hitters are like, "Oh crap, Brian Shouse is coming into the game."  So I think Yost tries to take Sheets and CC longer into games to save his bullpen for Suppan, Bush, and Parra.

Second is pitch counts.  I think CC threw 103 pitches in that complete game last week.  Not sure how many pitches Sheets threw, but it was his first complete game since June 23rd.

Lastly, I think there is something to trying to get the most out of CC knowing he will be gone.  Out of all of our pitchers he is the biggest horse, but you might as well get the most out of him.

I'm alright with Yost keeping them in there.  Going back to a previous argument, it's hard to think about saving bullets for October when you haven't been there since 1982.  So in Yost's mind, you do ANYTHING to just get there, and if that means leaning a little extra hard on your studs, you do it.

This is exactly right.  In addition, Sheets often gets better as the game goes on, and as long as his pitch count is OK, he'll stay in.

And Sheets is about as unlikely to be here next year as CC.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
I think it's a combination of a few things TT.  First, Yost does not have confidence in the bullpen.  I doubt opposing hitters are like, "Oh crap, Brian Shouse is coming into the game." 

Out of anyone, Shouse is probably the bullpen pitcher I want to see coming in the game though, at least in the middle of an inning.  Gagne, Mota, and for the most part Riske have been garbage.  Villaneuva is average at best for his role.

As far as complete games, pitch count isn't really a concern.  Sabathia threw 103, Sheets threw 113.  As long as they're not consistently going in the 120's I'm fine with it.  The thing to remember with Sheets' health is that he's never had a serious arm issue.  The longest DL stint was an inner ear infection; he's also missed starts or been on the DL for a strained hamstring, Josh Beckett Syndrome (blister), with the only arm-related one a short DL stint a couple years ago for shoulder tendonitis.  Since he feels like has to pitch complete games this year, it's probably better to keep him out there since his habit of biting his fingernails in the dugout is probably riskier than pitching.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
Out of anyone, Shouse is probably the bullpen pitcher I want to see coming in the game though, at least in the middle of an inning. 

While the reason I like Shouse is because of his entrance music (Shout by Tears for Fears) I think he is the most under rated player on the team. 

Last time I looked a few weeks ago his ERA was below 2.50.  Not sure if it still is but he seems to be getting the job done at least numbers wise.  Granted I guess he could be giving up runs to inherited runners which wouldn't hurt his ERA.  I don't watch the Brewers enough to know but number wise he looks solid.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
While the reason I like Shouse is because of his entrance music (Shout by Tears for Fears) I think he is the most under rated player on the team. 

Last time I looked a few weeks ago his ERA was below 2.50.  Not sure if it still is but he seems to be getting the job done at least numbers wise.  Granted I guess he could be giving up runs to inherited runners which wouldn't hurt his ERA.  I don't watch the Brewers enough to know but number wise he looks solid.

Stranding inherited runners is actually one of Shouse's strong points.  He's great against lefties because of his delivery, but will never be left out there to face fighties unless they're sandwiched between lefties or Yost decides to mismanage.  Who knows how long he's going to want to stay around though; he is going on 40 but wasn't a full-time major-leaguer until he was 34 so he might want to stick around since a lot of teams would be happy to have him.

feedback